Mutants & Masterminds: Lake City Universe - HoH: The Early Bird Killer (OOC)

Heritage

@Naomi: HILARIOUS! I don't know if this has changed since 2e, but back then you needed Bouncing, Immovable, and Unstoppable or some combination of the three.

---

Firstly, I'd be ready to move on without much of a hiatus.

Secondly, I like the idea of filler threads. I've got three for my character. I'm most concerned with the first two. I think we should assume the first two events have happened off camera even if we don't do a thread about them. The third isn't necessary for my character's character development.

1) Detective Colby's School for the Demonically Posessed:

Leading Roles: Colby, Hellhound;

Optional Supporting Characters: If you're not on this list and you want your character involved in this pm me. I'd be happy to entertain the idea. I'm just trying to keep things small and as such am only listing the characters that may have the biggest stake in this:

Naomi: For science! She's there to observe.

Blitz: For moral support

Sigil: She's trying to see what kind of demonic powers she's really dealing with in Hellhound.

I won't expect many posts from supporting characters. Perhaps just the occasional observation / inner monologue.

The meat and potatoes of this thread is this:

HH comes from a long, but diluted bloodline of Diabolists. Though his family has been long out of practice, it can't be denied that there's power in his blood. His pact was made in ignorance of this, and now the other worldly powers that hold his soul are hoping he never finds out about his family's history. Eons ago, his ancestors acted like lawyers litigating infernal contracts between 3rd parties. If HH were to gain mastery of these powers, he'd be able to lawyer his way out of his doom via any number of loopholes in the not-so-airtight soul contract he signed years ago. He needs Colby to give him a few educational pointers. This also explains the reason I expect to be using the bulk of my PP earned toward skills or powers of an investigative / Knowledge (Arcana/Planes) nature.

2) Blitz and Hellhound go on a date: This being the obligatory romance filler episode for my character. Perhaps drama ensues when they need to keep this secret from their boss who shows up at the same restaurant they're at or something.

3) Someone's Got a Bone to Pick: Another member of the team isn't fond of HH's attitude or the way he handled 'that last mission'. They decide to settle it with a not-so-friendly sparing match at the Ranch. This would serve two purposes: One: Help me stress test the mechanics behind some of HH's combat powers. Two: Give one of the members in the group a chance to tell HH what they really think of him / and improve the relationships of the group.

Cast: First come first serve. Preference given to any player/character not involved in the first two threads. Apply via PM.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could see Sigil being involved with the 'school for the possessed.' I think she's satisfied with Russ for now, but she might be able to lend perspective even Colby lacks...and is a very experienced mage in her own right as well. And of course, she knows all about loopholey contracts. :)

I don't see Sigil being terribly interested in sparring herself, but if there was sparring to be done, she'd be interested in watching it. It'd be a good learning experience for her.

As for my own fillers, I only have one idea so far, which is Sigil trying to get that 'license to practice' thing that you have to take a test for in the Lake City setting. She'll definitely need help with that. :)

Hero Points do carry over through adventures, correct?

Actually they don't; I allowed you guys to keep them since this thread began on the tail of the last one, but you'd be back to the standard, which I think is one?

I also still need to look through the Advantages to find out about how I can transform my Leaps into a slam attack. (Ever see those videos when somene gets knocked down by an excersise ball? Now imagine that at 250 MPH!!!)

We need to figure that out. I apologize, I haven't been in M&M mode recently; I need to reconfigure my brain!

Firstly, I'd be ready to move on without much of a hiatus.

I don't want to do too much of a time jump between major story arcs; maybe a month or two in-game tops? Though part of me would LOVE to get us closer to the current date as opposed to 2011. Although, I may have a cunning plan...

1) Detective Colby's School for the Demonically Posessed

This could be lots of fun, and serve a few purposes. Sigil could also be a great deal of help, as Max pointed out

2) Blitz and Hellhound go on a date

I have had loads of fun over the years with romantic threads (maybe TOO much fun - nah, that's impossible!), so I will always encourage these.

name=Hellhound' timestamp='1358864406' post='300006]3) Someone's Got a Bone to Pick

Just how onboard are folks for one of these? It might be the best way to bring in Joani's character, in some ways. We might just do straight up power demos, just so everyone knows what everyone else can do. Less sparring, more blasting!

Another option is to do stuff 'offscreen' via PM; Blitz and I have already done this, and it was very interesting.

All the proposals are interesting, as long as I have some time before dice get flying to get some sorely needed things done with the suit. It was glaring on our first adventure, and with Jameson gone I don't have that info to draw from. Suck the conversation was in chat and I didn't log it (in regards to a Advantage I need (which I'll probably throw on the suit as some sort of trajectory calculation program) so I can knock people down with my leaping).

However you want to move forward with the game I'm up for it. I'm just still iffy on the system ATM in regards to how certain things I want to do can be done with the crunch of the system.

Also it does sort of feel like a waste that I picked up two Hero Points in a plot event, only to be able to use one, and have the other dissapear leaving me with my base 1 point at the start of the next adventure.

This could be lots of fun, and serve a few purposes. Sigil could also be a great deal of help, as Max pointed out

Cool. Do it! ;)

I have had loads of fun over the years with romantic threads (maybe TOO much fun - nah, that's impossible!), so I will always encourage these.

Do it! You won't!

Actually, I havent heard from Blitz in a while. So....

Just how onboard are folks for one of these? It might be the best way to bring in Joani's character, in some ways. We might just do straight up power demos, just so everyone knows what everyone else can do. Less sparring, more blasting!

I haven't had any takers yet, but I think it could be a great way to introduce a character. First day on the job, eh? Let's see what you've got. How hard can you hit me? As far ast MOAR BLASTING goes... Hellhound isn't one to show off unless he really needs to. His real strengths don't show up until he's up against the wall. (really, one of his powers draws on the strength of his opponents to rejuvinate him).

Also it does sort of feel like a waste that I picked up two Hero Points in a plot event, only to be able to use one, and have the other dissapear leaving me with my base 1 point at the start of the next adventure.

Well, you have Luck, right? So you start a 1+Luck. Not just 1. Otherwise, I'm sure we'll figure something out. I'd be happy to help you work on it in my spare time. Shoot me a pm with your major ideas. I'll see if I can dig through the rules and come up with some sort of power structure to help you out with it.

Hero points are designed to be awarded and used in each adventure; I will make an effort to hand them out more effectively going forward. Also I think HH is right that you get an extra point due to Luck, so you should be starting with two each story anyway; I don't have my book with me, but I think he's dead on.

So give me the rest of the week to figure out what works best (we might do more than one story concurently, though that may prove to be too disconcerting); we will be up and runing with new thread(s) next week!

Luck doesn't give Hero Points any more, but gives you the chance for re-rolls. You always start with 1HP in 3rd Edition.

As for the help with Superball, note I only got 7PP in experience currently.

You sure you're not confusing that with Luck Control power? I'm away from my books right now.

Blitz is around and willing to do a date thread, if you'd like. :)

Great! :D How/When do we start?

HH and Blitz (pou crazy lovebirds, you!): If you want suggestions for good dinner spots, I would suggest a place in either Cortland or Riverville would probably be best for hip young people like yourselves.

SB: You are correct about how Luck works. The rules about Hero Points appies to everyone, so everyone is back to 1 HP. As far as your Slam attack, I think I read that Immumity (your own Slams) was 2 ranks, which would be 2 points; if you want to be Immune to all Slams period, it would be more (forget how much). Damage from slams is based on your Speed rank; if your hitting 250 mph, i think that puts you at the eqivilant of Speed 7, which is under the PL8 cap. Since slamming is a tactic anyone can do, all I really think you need is to get that Immunity tied into your suit, and you're ready to go!

As far as threads go, how does this sound? Blitz and HH pair up for canoodling (and possible soul searching) in a thread of their own. We also do a sort of 'State of the Union' thread which serves mutliple functions:

1. Introduces Rachel as both team doctor and superduper hero lady.

2. Colby evaluates and educates Hellhound on his bad self.

3. Blitz and Naomi are there as moral support and/or tech advice.

4. Sigil is aloof.

How does that sound? Actual 'Gee whiz we're on madcap adventure!' thread to start in the very near future.

I am dissatisfied by Sigil is aloof! I mean, it's inevitable to some extent at this early juncture, but that's something I mean to have her develop out of.

Anyone want to help her with the Superhero Exams? Naomi is obligated to help, but others are welcome!

And I still think she might have some perspective on Hellhound that Colby does not.

Sorry for my forum-absence, I've been dealing with a serious case of stomach flu and lost nearly 10 pounds. Today is the first day I can actually eat something without feeling the urge to spread it all over the bathroom again (I spare you the details).

Anyway - I'm recovering and will post as soon as I can spent more time at the screen - currently that is very little followed by exhaustion. I need some more rest.

Archived