Shadowrun: Everybody Lies - [SR4A - Everybody Lies] OOC - Streetchatter

Joani

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In case some of you missed my post in General Discussion. I'm on vacation from today on and won't be home till the 7th if May. I can't tell how much Internet activity I can bring up but I'll try to make an update when necessary to keep things moving. PM in case of questions. So things will be a bit slower for the next 14 das but I'm not entirely gone, just on holidays.

Alright, I'm updating tonight BUT unfortunately I can't edit the post the way I like (not possible on my iPad unfortunately) - Once I'm home I'll make the posts "pretty" but you'll have to do with the raw version until then.

(null)

Just to be sure I understand how this works:

Normally against guns, you roll your Reaction attribute only to defend. Certain augmentations or adept powers or spells might adjust this, but there's no skill add.

If you take a full defense action though (forgoing attack) your defense pool is Reaction+Dodge, plus any applicable modifiers.

Is that about the size of it? I'm at work now so no book with me. :(

In Initiative Order please. Your actions for IP 1 was to dive for cover and in some cases go full defensive. Currently everyone has acted once. I need your rolls next to see if anyone was injured. Those with more than 1 IP can act again. I'll give you guys a summary of how combat will be handled including paring rules.

Sorry about the lack of roll from Imiri... I was planning on doing it yesterday, but I forgot that I was baby-sitting my niece this friday, didn't have the time to do much of anything online last 2 days

I think you guys have been waiting on me while I was waiting on you hence no posts.

Your first round of actions has already passed everyone went for cover, drew weapons etc., while the Chulos fired at you.

What I need from you (except from Smax/Valkyrie) are your defense rolls before we move on to the next Pass (which only Grimm and Valk will participate in).

There's no need for a specific order - I will take more control next time and blame my vacation for this "delay".

Ok please make your Defense rolls and I pick up combat from there. Thanks.

ROUND ONE DODGE:

[Jeremy] 3:24 pm: Reaction 4 + Combat Sense 2 + Dodge 3 - Wide Burst 2

Jeremy *rolls* 7d6: 5+1+1+1+6+2+5: 21

[Jeremy] 3:25 pm: phew

[Jeremy] 3:25 pm: just avoided a glitch

[jameson] 3:25 pm: 3?

[Jeremy] 3:25 pm: witness?

[Jeremy] 3:25 pm: thanks

3 HITS

Caesar's rolls:

[jameson] 3:36 pm: Reaction 3 + Dodge 2 - Wide Burst 2 = 3 dice

jameson *rolls* 3d6: 2+6+3: 11

[jameson] 3:36 pm: 1 hit

[Jeremy] 3:36 pm: you only need 1 hit I think

[jameson] 3:36 pm: let's hope

1 hit

[jameson] 10:44 am: blech

[jameson] 10:44 am: Sealt, default to Agl 4 = 3 dice

jameson *rolls* 3d6: 3+2+4: 9

[Jeremy] 10:45 am: ouch

[Jeremy] 10:45 am: Stealth is a skill group

[jameson] 10:45 am: hmm

[Jeremy] 10:45 am: Infiltration is the skill

[jameson] 10:45 am: doesn't mean I have it

[jameson] 10:45 am:

[Jeremy] 10:45 am: you might have to use Edge

[Jeremy] 10:45 am: Jim: Yeah, just clarifying

[jameson] 10:46 am: hmmm

[jameson] 10:47 am: Spending Edge

jameson *rolls* 3d6: 1+4+2: 7

[jameson] 10:47 am:

[Jeremy] 10:47 am:

[Asarasa] 10:47 am: The smexy Ogre just can't bring himself to be inconspicuous

@Jordan and Krul - I'll give you another day time to make your rolls and post your actions. If not I'll make the rolls for you and default your actions to what you did last combat. Since Caesar failed his roll it is likely another round of combat will commence.

@general - I'm still trying to figure out a smoother way to deal with the extra Initiative Passes some of you guys have. It slows down posting a lot because some of you get to act more than once. One solution would be to get all your actions in advance. I'd try to interpret them to my best ability and make the necessary rolls. If you catch me in chat or post a note here in OOC I can also try to take that into account, should you change your mind before I get to post. Acceptable?

Since init passes occur in init order, think of them as turns in which not everyone gets to go.

So like this:

Round 1.

Init pass 1 - everyone goes in init order.

Init pass 2 - anyone who has 2 passes goes in init order.

Init pass 3 - whoever has 3 passes goes in init order.

Round 2...and so on.

Most folks have 2 passes, but only a handful have 3, so each pass speeds up (less participants).

Since init passes occur in init order, think of them as turns in which not everyone gets to go.

So like this:

Round 1.

Init pass 1 - everyone goes in init order.

Init pass 2 - anyone who has 2 passes goes in init order.

Init pass 3 - whoever has 3 passes goes in init order.

Round 2...and so on.

Most folks have 2 passes, but only a handful have 3, so each pass speeds up (less participants).

This doesn't really solve the issue I was trying to address. Unfortunately it is not the case that it speeds up - the opposite is the case. If every combat round gets bogged down by 1 or 3 PCs with Extra IP passes which I have to resolve in Order of Init those with just 1 IP have to sitout 2 to 6 posts at least before the next round they can participate starts. What I'm looking for is a way to speed this process up. The last combat showed that as soon as one of the faster PCs with more than 1 IP who can only post once in a week drags combat along over days which is unfortunately a bad thing. If combat virtually takes for ever (actually just a few seconds pass but instead people wait days until things move on) then I see Players losing interest in continued participation in this game. I want to avoid that.

But since combat is not avoidable in SR we need to find a better streamlined version of Combat for these boards. Alternatively I'd set hard time limits - 24 hours during combat - if you do not post by then you either lose your IP or I default to attacking the next enemy instead. We have to agree on something. Playing through the whole process step-by-step is not an option. Sorry.

I suggest what I've been doing with combat. You have each person do all their attacks/actions. Then as the ST, you put together one post which puts it all in order and together. You allow players to adjust if needed, as an example I had one PC negate another PC's heroic surge unintenionally in Magi. I simply allowed the first action to happen, then let the PC to rescend his actions, keep his HP and we moved on. It can be a headache, but you give everyone 2-3 days to post, then you reply as ST, and it's on the next round.

Of course, this may not work for SR; having never been in a combat for it before, I have no idea. Those are just my experiences.

We could try that and see how it goes. In most cases a person has a decent idea of what they want to do in a round up front.

Then, if the situation changes in mid-round, as long as we have the option to adjust our declared actions to react to it, I'd be fine with declaring up front to save time.

For those with multiple actions have the character simply post all their actions at once. If another PC or NPC performs an action that negates another PCs move simply move the action to the next logical target. So, if I was going to shoot Jonny X on my pass 2 Kemuri killed him on pass 1, simply move the attack to the next logical target, especially if a team member needs the assistance. This emulates how professionals would handle things without everyone having to re-read the entire battle to just to make the sure their attack isn't wasted. If an event arises that opens up for a different action (like hacking instead of attacking) simply notify the PC and allow them to switch actions, it's faster to re-roll one actions than wait for someone to re-post an entire event the next time they are available.

When Pass 2 rolls around I don't need to roll an action (I already did in my first post) I simply follow suit with the flow of combat and just type in my awesome flavor text, if I'm not around to do that, Joani or someone else can since my action results are already posted. If the action needs to change due to circumstances, Joani can make a call and change the action as need be (Like Chunin defending an attack that could have killed him). We'll have to trust him.

Since PCs can go on defense anytime it still allows us to assess what's going on and escape heavy attacks if need be. This way you can have an entire rounds worth of combat in one post from us, read it over, sum it up, and just move on from there. PBP is a little harder than table top when it comes to combat and communication. We can't just reach over the table and slap Max for using a grenade launcher as a sniper rifle, we have to bend and even break a few rules to see to it things flow smoother. What takes us 3-5 minutes at the table usually takes us 3-5 weeks here, because the rules are designed to be used at a table.

I approve. At the very least it should make things go a little quicker, ideally a lot quicker. Also, if I can suggest, Joani if one player's rolls are the only thing standing between you and an update you should make the roll for them or penalize them slightly and move forward with your post.

Archived