Aberrant: Children of Quantum Fire - [Interlude] Last Will and Testament [FIN]

Sailor OOC

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kamiko sees Star behind her. This... might be the moment to prove something. Albeit a little late.

"Omoikane, play message. Timestamp 0."

She was familiar with Sakurako's style of programming voice interfaces... some of this looked like her handywork in the computer technology.

"Kamiko... My daughter. My most grand creation.

I thought I'd leave this message to you in hopes you would hear my confession.

I have been allowing you to live a lie I've propagated. I've never told you what I really did, and what Cade did. We are elites. But not just hiring ourselves out as teachers or representatives. We are what are more commonly known by that name as well. I... I helped Dan Hawkins in his work as an elite, collecting intelligence on targets. I'll be honest, I sometimes was a spy. In conjunction with Mr. Hawkins, Your Father, the elite known as Long, and Mary Masters, more commonly known as Ensign Minneapolis, operated as a team in the service of DeVries.

I assure you what we did was noble... and although our hands are not clean, our intentions were noble.

I don't want to you to look upon us with disgust, Kamiko. Our world is one of blood and dirt, violence and skulduggery. Something I hope will not darken your life.

I am afraid though, that you will end up forced into this world, and if so, I entrust that your safety will be ensured by Dan, Long, his wife, and Mary."

The holographic message of Origami shows her wearing a black full-length eufiber bodysuit. "I'm leaving this message also as a way to say... this place is yours. Yours to do with as you see fit for it's purpose. It is your sanctum as much as it was ours, my Kamiko... You know the words to gain transfer privileges, if you still remember and feel that one can be redeemed through their children... Otherwise I leave this station in the care of Dan Hawkins until such a time you are ready... because once you accept this... there is no telling where you will go from here."

The holographic message ends, and the hologram fades away. Leaving Kamiko standing in the center of the room. Her right hand clutched. She chokes back her impulse. Then Kamiko's truth slowly ekes foreward. "T.... Thank you... Mother."

She takes a deep breath. "And there... is nothing to forgive..."

"I understand now why you named me Kamiko... Kami can be read both as Paper and as God... and to truely understand who I can become, I must have God in my heart and paper by my side."

She nods. The stands firm, for the first time in front of Dan and Star she seems more sure of herself than she has ever been. "I am Kamiko, Mother. As you created me and as I was taught."

She walks up to the statues and speaks confidently. "Kami no koe wa kamidesu."

Translation
神の声は紙です。or "God's voice is paper."

The AI reappears in front of Kamiko and those assembled. Bowing to one knee.

"Dominus Bibliothecarius Aino Kyoko has fallen, as you have said. The message was sent to me on the day of her death... I awaited your responses to what is assembled here before everyone before I unsecured the rest of the treasures your Mother has kept. Creator Hawkins, as the new Dominus Bibliothecarius, Aino Kamiko now has administrative rights as owner of this facility as per Aino Kyoko's request. Do you accept this change of administrative rights?"

Dan nods. "I do."

What looked like a black box behind the statues turned transparent like glass. Showing a large book, the size of a old bible. 1 meter on it's long end practically.

Kamiko walks up to it. "A true... un duplicated original Gutenberg Bible... I can see why the security. She turns to Dan and Starseed.

"You are always welcome here, Star. And that's a big no duh to you huh, Dan."

She smiles. "I guess Shaman was struck in awe as well. Perfectly fine by me. He's welcome here as the crown Prince after all."

The Hologram stands fully once again. "Dominus Bibliothecarius, what is your first command?"

Kamiko smiles. "As my assistant, Omoikane, you should dress in the uniform of the Bibliotheca Sacra."

"Of course." Omoikane says, changing her clothing to what Kamiko was wearing. "Will your companions or Dan also require uniforms?"

"Negative. Starseed here is the commander of the Galactic Navigation Service, you will show her and any of her crew the same sort of access as any worker of the Bibliotheca Sacra."

"What about Shaman?"

"Shaman is Royalty, Omoikane. Son of Einherjar, the King of the Congo."

"He... is Einherjar's son? Why did you not say so, Dominus Kamiko?"

Kamiko smiles. "Also, anyone who is in service with Dan's team also has full rights here. They were friends of my Mother and Father and have earned the right."

"I understand, Dominus Kamiko. Will you be finding others to work for the Bibliotheca Sacra?"

"At some point. I will be needing the distance of this facility for other efforts on the side."

She walks over to Starseed. "Perhaps if you return here at some point they should wear the uniform I've usually seen you in so that Omoikane can grow accustom to what the other yous look like."

Yeah ... he's in awe. When he finally gets to speak, it is with a burning passion.

'So many questions!'

"Kamiko, have you ever thought about a Gene-Bank?"

"Dan, how big is this place? On the outside."

"Starseed, could you move this?"

"There has got to be information on genetics and gene-splicing, right? Think about it - going to other systems, analyzing the environment and minimal, if any life forms and tailoring them for that planet. You don't need a ship. Everything you would need is right here. 'Pop!', you find a habitable system, seed it with the proper building blocks for animal and plant life, and the colony ships follow afterwards."

"Better yet, this place would be able to find and catalog any signs of alien life before anyone else arrived to spoil the sight. You would be able to pioneer xeno-biology, xeno-sociology, and xeno-psychology. This place would be a Torch-Bearer for Mankind into the Darkness of Space ... and it would pack the essence of the Terrestrial World with it."

"Whoa ... have I said too much?"

Something clicked in Kamiko's mind.

"Gene Bank? Shaman you're a genius as usual! All genetic information is, is biological data. You know, if you want to start helping on collecting a genetic stockpile of key flora and fauna of Earth, that would be a very noble endeavor. Even more so if we can store genetic reproductive material."

She adjusts her vest. "We'd just need the equipment. Perhaps you could interest someone, Shaman your love of animals should impress someone in the wildlife conservation community."

She looks about, starting to peek into the rooms. "If it was possible to move this, I don't want it moved at the moment. This location represents the current furthest point from Earth I have ever been outside of the GNS mission. Once I feel I can go to the deep end with my warps... I'll be happy to see this moved to a more isolated, safer position within the Heliosphere. Until then... I'm happy at the shallow end."

Star smiled at the excitement. "At the present time I cannot move this base. Taking a planetoid like this into a strong gravity well is also quite risky. Could shatter. The scouting and seeding of planets though...thats what GNS is for. What I am currently doing is sending disposable shuttles in to get system and orbital survey data. All energy and only me as crew in case of fiery death. After detailed orbital survey is done people drive there. In amphibious trucks...convoys to do planetary survey."

"Its the most efficient operation feasable on a large scale. Plus its inexpensive. I'd also think keeping this place a secret is a key to it being of value as a bank. Indirect, screened transfer of samples for storage and information would be prudent."

"I must say though, I do like this talk of colonizing other worlds. This is a good thing."

"In terms of personal and organizational resources, as well as human life, Star. Good thinking."

She walks to the main entrance of the archive they are all in. "You know, I heard that we have been needing a safe spot to meet. You know, the Coraline meetings... I think this location would be ideal."

She leans against the archway to the room. "I have to admit... I really never knew..." She says with a smile, but tears begin to form in her eyes. "All this time... This was here."

The AI chirps up. "Dominus Kamiko..."

"Please, call me Kamiko or Miss Kamiko..."

"Right, Miss Aino, I forgot to mention there is a message that was sent roughly a day ago by light delay calculations. It is from Mary Masters."

"Is she aware of the location of the Bibliotheca Sacra?"

"Yes, she is one of the Original Six."

Kamiko nods. "Play the message."

"So... Kamiko's finally going to see the little space library eh? She's gonna be so choked up. I talked to someone who can take me as far as Europa. I can make a hop from there once I arrive. I gotta see this for myself. Oh, and since we are at this juncture, we... really gotta talk. S's been feedin' me info on what's going on... more like kibble than Nova-sized. MY cover is I'm taking a short week-long little vacation from the Ensign Minneapolis gig. Actually... I'm not so hot on this warping gig just yet, so could you... maybe have Kamiko open a warp for me? Or whatever she calls it. I'll be right at the North Pole of Europa if she needs a landmark. Ensign signing off."

Kamiko giggles slightly. "I'll take care of our visitor, you guys just talk among yourselves."

Mary paced on the icy surface of the Jovian moon, Europa. She had a habit of getting impatient. Particualrly if she fell through some crack into the moon-wide ocean below the ice crust... being trapped in there was what really scared her most. "Dammit where is that warp... I hope I won't be stuck out here... What if something... No, get that out of your mind, Mary. You can do short hops from here. Europa to Mars to Earth... shouldn't be too dangerous..."

That is when a crack in space time, followed by the formation of a paper gate from it is seen, exactly at geographic north for Europa.

"Well I'll be..."

She walks through and the change of atmosphere was jarring for a moment to her adaptation. "Thank you Kami... but I should talk to Dan first."

Kamiko nods as Ensign walks into the archive room. Omoikane nods to Ensign coldly, but still was polite. "Remember, Miss Masters, no accessing any archives like you did two years ago."

"Still sore about that huh?"

"Dan! You crazy, lovable old soldier you!" Mary says, almost swaggering over to Dan. "Getting into the book business now are we?" She says with a smirk.

Sonja's eyes brightened at Mary's voice She looked up to Dan. "Daddy Aunt Mary's coming." She was so excited. "Yes, she is." Dan was somewhat less excited. Mary was coming for two reasons. to show Kamiko the library, and more than likely relay some info Dan didn't want the kids to hear just yet.

"Shaman, it's large enough that someone even at my level could not move it easily. You would need to be even stronger, someone at Cora or Alex's level, with the right degree of control and ability could move it. Cade and I planned for it to be capable of being moved, though in an emergency. I'd advise against it. It is rather well positioned where it is."

He looked to Kamiko, that bible was my wedding present to your parents. I won't tell you how I found it, how I got it, but before you came into this world, it was her most valuable possession.It represented the beginning of the Age of Knowledge and Reason to her, though a religious Text, the innovation behind its printing set the stage for all that came after."

"Now she has entrusted it, and everything that was built, and preserved here, to you. This is the inheritance left you by your mother and father, to do with as you see fit."

Sonja beat Dan to the punch as Mary arrived. Among all others, She liked Mary most. She ran up to the former municipal defender and hugged her tightly "Aunt Mary!"

Dan followed more Sedately. "Mary. good to see you. I'd wondered if you would show up for this."

"Captain Starseed. I never thought I'd get to be within a meter of you... You've achieved something amazing... beyond any science fiction dream I ever had as a Kid." She salutes, remembering her days as a Seaman in the Navy. "Thank you, Ma'am."

She sighs as she takes a bit of her hair and drapes it behind her right ear, a ear that looked surprisingly elvish in form.

Mary Sedately looks at Dan. "I am. Most of these Kyoko read personally. I saw her do it... She had such a way with parchment... I digress... I'm proud Kamiko has managed to reach this point and so fast... particularly with all the set backs."

Kamiko looks askance. "Child... I heard what happened on Mars when you flipped out. That little rampage missed Sonja by 5 inches, child. If I so much as saw a cut on her face from that I was going to railgun you. I know it wouldn't have killed you but it would have been the type of spanking you deserved." Mary shouts, snarling almost like a drill sergeant, but then Mary smiles. "But you recovered from that so brilliantly."

Kamiko cowers from Mary's seeming manic state.

"No, no hear me out... you make it in your new position on the ship, you've just about come to terms with your parents and oh... look what you found!"

She holds her hands out, waving to everything and everyone present. "You're fantastic!"

She smirks. "Not like your folks though... But you've started."

"Kamiko... this isn't a social call... I do have a dire message from Sophia Rousseau herself... For all of you since you started working with Coraline."

She looks down for a moment to grab the gravity of her words. "Be Careful. This isn't a game for children but you have taken it upon yourselves to run with this. Be careful who you trust and be doubly careful around those you don't."

"That's why I am here..."

She sighs. "Corbin sends his regards."

Sonja runs over. "Mary.... do that thing..."

"Oh...right..." Mary giggles, remembering Sonja always liked it when she transformed into her "costume" uniform for her Public Defender work.

"En Avant!" She shouts, and her street clothes become what she has recently been known to wear as the wandering Public Defender, Ensign Minneapolis.

Her pistols were now visible, but she had made sure to tie the pistol's trigger guards to the holsters with international orange string. "peacebonding" as it was called. "Yeah... I can do that."

Sonja giggles as she runs over to Dan.

Mary walks around. "Kamiko you've surrounded yourself with such amazing friends... Your Highness..." She says, curtsying to Shaman.

"Unfortunately I and Dan will have to speak alone for a few moments in regards to current events. Things are on the move and I need intel. Won't be long. More than likely he has a certain package you guys have come across..."

She says that last sentence, suggesting something Dan knows about.

Kamiko finishes cowering, then slowly slinks over to a bench. Catching her breath.

"Good god... that woman... she's like a out of control nuclear reactor in energy... I did deserve that but still..." She thinks.

"Yes." Kamiko says, with a sigh. "Shaman, Star, feel free to look at anything on the shelves in the main archive. Nothing here though. The books are too fragile. When we reconvene I will be starting to arrange the warp Home. I... will be staying for a day though. To recover some energy and to get to know the place a little more."

Initially somewhat put off and defensive about the Ensign's treatment of Kamiko (deserved or not), Shaman waits patiently until she addresses him.

'Think of something interesting to say!'

'I'm working on it.'

"It is of great interest to meet you, Ensign Minneapolis. I've heard much about you."

He leans into Kamiko and whispers (yes, I know that's useless, but still)

"Kamiko, who's Sophia Rousseau?"

(pause)

"And is she talking about THE Corbin - famous a few years back?"

'Why do I get the feeling I'm not going to like the answers?'

"Ah, thank you, Shaman... Hopefully mostly good..."

She sheepishly grins. Being around royalty tends to do that. "And I do have to say this to Kamiko, and I hope all of her friends understand... I am very protective of Sonja... I promised her Mom I'd be her auntie and if things ever went wrong to be there for her. Something I've been proud to be. That is why I railed into Kamiko. It's because I do care for the kid. I guess it's more fair to let someone know how you feel then apologize for the dressing down than candy-coat your disapproval."

She smiles. "I'm sure Kamiko's learned a few valuable lessons."

"Umm... you had some questions, Shaman? If so, I'd be happy to answer them but only after I'm done with Dan. To be honest I'm not high-up on the totem pole and was hired by Sophia to be a detective... I've not been on a job for her in a while. Heck, some of what you guys know in that file Coraline passed out I found... maybe... I'm not that good."

note
Her hearing isn't that great, you'll figure that out eventually. Her ears just don't collect sound as well as a normal person due to their form.

Kamiko scratches her head, blushing, feeling embarassed from all the attention, positive and negative.

"I'm as clueless about Sophia as you, Shaman. All I know is that this Sophia person has ties to Corbin and his allies. The "package" was pretty good at not revealing the hierarchy of the resistance against Proteus."

"Thank you, Ma'am." Kamiko says, standing. "I deserved that tongue-lashing, honestly. But I am happy you are here if you're indeed willing to help Cora and us. Thank you for the heads up."

"Now everyone, let's leave these two to their business, unless Dan and Mary know where to go around here... you know... they probably do."

Kamiko walks over to the terminal for the room and starts familiarizing herself with the layout of the station.

The battle armor clad Star, who is closer to Shaman and Kami, discretely says "Sophia Rousseau and Andre Corbin are both members of the covert group known as the Aberrant. The leader and an highly influential member, respectively. Though I do not have detailed or recent information on this organization they are likely influential beyond their number. Their leader has the ability to shape fate, and a substantial clandestine network to maximize her abilities."

She also 'takes off' her battle armor, which shape shifts into a third Starseed, who then puts on a gold badge for easy identification and takes a seat at a nearby holographic data terminal.

The other Star was already seated some distance away at another of the many holographic terminals, searching technical and medical archives for information one can't readily find on the op-net or even a university library. Here, however, she might find some information she knows exists, but no longer had access too without the access her Mother once had at CalTech. This Star also puts on a red badge, for easy identification by others.

Red Star looks to Gold Star, and still using her holo-field for communication so as not to shout across the room displays on a loop "Gold Star: Search topics: Omega-71692-RNA Studies, Calabai-Yau MR Interaction, Dendritic Mazarin Development, Stimulus Response in Class 6B Neural Structures" ... Red Star sees, and nods ...beginning her research.

Red Star also queries the computer "When was the last date of archive updates? What is the year of the most recent information you have?"

'Good. Very Good' thought Star, as she began to display data from her relevant searches at a rate she so fast most Novas including her couldn't read them ... but she could record them - slowing only long enough to track citations and devour abstracts. Occasionally, she would slow to observe formulae, charts and graph - since math tended to be more indicative of relevance than most other content.

With the powers of her newfound memory both navigated the vast library, absorbing the information she would need for her next series of experiments ... both Stars communicating with silent holography beset with intricate equations, arcane scientific short hand, and complex graphics during the intervals spent accessing the search index between display runs.

Those watching the holographic communication who do not have Bodhi will be either baffled or amazed at the exotic and complex language - a language with some sort of almost 'alien' quality to it.

Dan looked at Mary, and nodded slowly. "Sonja, stay with Kamiko for now, Aunt Mary and I need to "Talk"" His tone suggested he was far less than pleased. Still Sonja did as she was told.

"If any of you need us, we'll be in the Way of the Warrior Archive Wing."

Dan took Mary's hand and led her away, almost to the other side of the massive library, there surrounded by Man's accumulated wisdom and history regarding Wars fought, won and lost, he looked at her. It was a look of someone trying to decide whether or not a tender embrace, or grabbing the nearest piece of heavy furniture and bashing it over the same party's head was the appropriate response.

"Yes... Mars... I know."

She scratches her head. "I was interested in seeing Kamiko and a couple 'things' I heard from Sophia and her compatriots about what's been happening. Sorry, when Sonja gets involved my maternal instincts kick in. As far as I know she's never been to Mars. And Star... Observing her was icing on the cake. Was just wondering when it was time to re-appear."

She turns away. "If you're thinking what I'm thinking... try not to hurt Kamiko's books... If she's anything like Origami she is probably overprotective of those. I do deserve it though."

"I OUGHT to smack seven kinds of crap out of you Mary, for disappearing like you did. Sonja was worried sick, and now you show up out of the blue, here. And managing to make me look like an inobservant fool."

He looked at her and it was like staring down a seriously angry drill instructor. "What exactly are you doing here, and what do you want to speak to me about?"

He softened some. "I am glad you're here, it makes Sonja happy, but you could have contacted me sometime in the last three and a half weeks. At least so I could let her know you were okay."

"I was... on the run. You know how I pride myself on keeping my trails cold. Proteus is good at what it does, and I had a white slavery ring to smash in the process. You think Proteus would have loved for an 'accident' to happen to me in that investigation?"

Mary sighs. "I'm here because I got clued in on what Coraline has been working on. The Aberrants definately want to help but they need to know if everyone in her group is trustable. Right now for a bit Kamiko was considered the weak link because of her emotional instabilities. Seems she's working through that but you have to watch her closely these next few months. If what the spooks are saying is true... we're in for a world of hurt in the Congo and Kamiko may end up seeing things I don't think she's ready for."

She adjusts her outfit. "It's Starseed I'm drawing a blank on. What's her game in all this? I mean... she starts up this GNS program, Kamiko is deeper into it than the Marianas trench and I'm having too hard a time to track anything on her. She's more paranoid than me, Dan."

"I'll be blunt. Chi 2.0 is approving of her, but I'm not won over yet."

"Speaking of Chi... what sort of gaps does Kamiko have in her training? What is she good at, even? That's what I'm curious about as well."

"She follows her mother's powerset, with virtually nothing of her father's. Her combat skill is largely limited to the naginata, and her constructs die easy to fire and sound."

He sighed. "She's got plenty of theoretical knowledge and training, but no real combat experience. i'm thinking it may be time to remedy that. She's not ready for war by any means at all."

"As far as Starseed is concerned, she's a somewhat unique individual with incredible ideas. I believe she'll be a positive influence on Kamiko at the very least."

"What I worry about concerning her mostly is that she seems to always believe she has things planned for ever contingency. She's certainly smart enough to be able to do that nearly, but Chaos is such a difficult think to predict. The servitors she crafts for us to wear to obscure our presence is nice, but I hate that it is a drain on her."

"Agreed on Starseed."

"As for Kamiko, I think in order for her to start seeing what real combat is like, she needs to see the result first hand."

She sighs. "Unfortunately with the situation in the Congo she will be going right into the lion's den... Thank god she found this place now. Might be her saving grace."

"I fear more for her sanity than her well being, Dan. Her birth I was told was difficult and I hear she has a hang-up or two. Trust me, I've seen her browser history and her purchase history. You should watch her allowance more carefully. Not to mention she needs glasses that are proper for a combat environment... Like a pair of perscription goggles or something."

"Hell, get her some combat armor if you can... I know she has that Eufiber Chi gave her but still. Her powers might not cut it. Her experience as well."

She sighs. "You should do with Kamiko what you did with Kyoko. Drop her in the middle of nowhere and face her head on. Kyoko barely survived, but the stress and strain of true, life-or-death combat would be important for her. I hate to say it, but it would be better from you than some heartless elite looking to make a buck."

"There's a reason or two she has no siblings, yes, but that is information she doesn't ever need to know." To prove his point he reached out and created a command for Omoikane to remove this entire conversation from her data tracks.

He nodded. "Kyoko had to Contend with Long and I. He is not available. You will take his place, if that is how we do this."

"If we do, she must be made to realize she could die. Treat it seriously, like you would any other. If it isn't real, it won't do any good."

"Then we make her decide... We start one last training session, together. Simply put... tell her if she's going to be serious, to attack with everything she has or put her weapon down and never pick it up again. It's crunch time, Dan, and we have to know what role she will play. If she decides to fight, then she elects the path of pain, as Kyoko did before and when she emerges she will deserve to be called Chi."

"If she steps away... it is her choice. But she will understand more about us than she does now. Either way, it is for her good."

"I know that. We wanted better for her Mary, all of us. I did not want this, and Long and Sakurako asked it of me, after she'd decided this."

He sighed. "Still it must be done. You will help, you will fight her first. If she still has the will after that, then I will show her what real experience is truly worth."

"Then I cant lift my guns to her because you know if I did I would put her down in one shot... But everything else is fair game... And it has to be now. Once she sends everyone home we tell her it's time. We tell her where to send the three of us, then it is on and there is no stopping unless she makes the choice. She has to know it's her decision she took this path."

She curses under her breath. "This is too soon, Dan... if she doesn't fully think about this, we could accidentally..."

"I don't want to lose Kamiko too... To war or to us..."

"At least that will be in my mind when I make her cry."

Shaman walked around and observed the Starseeds until it became clear to him that while he had a slight inkling of what she was looking into (it was Nova Medicine, right?) it was clearly beyond his limited skill sets.

'Must learn some level of medical skill beyond first aid.'

'Hey, we guessed it was Nova Medicine.'

'No, we guess that it's nova medicine.'

'Maybe it's a good guess.'

'We should go to a terminal and check things out.'

'Like wh ... sure, why not?'

Shaman went over to one of the terminals and began looking up 'stuff'. Before long, he found himself looking into the sum total of relevant data concerning non-terrestrial soils and life forms (now extinct). Somehow, this felt important to him.

'It is one thing to do. It is another to know what you are doing.'

'Thanks, Mr. Fortune Cookie.'

'Still, it makes sense.'

Mary scratches her chin. "I just realized something... I need to see her psychology first. I want to know before she even starts if we're wasting our time. She's been drafted into this war, she didn't ask for it. I want to see if she'll scratch or if she's even trainable. Let me ask her a couple questions after we're done. Then I can relay them back to you. This is what I'm going to ask and tell her."

"Was all that has happened with Coraline what you expected?"

"You think you can be of any good?"

"What would you do if things did go to hell in the Congo?"

"Are you ready to die for something you didn't ask for?"

"If it seems right to go further, Dan then I'll tell her this."

"Very well... then we have to make sure you won't slow us down. We're old friends. Comrades in arms and we got a particular flow that is hard to adapt to a civilian. I know you've got some combat skill but that's only sparring with twelve-year olds. There are people in our world that look at you as another mark for their kill count and nothing more and I sure as hell don't want one of them getting the credit of killing Kyoko's only child. I'll be blunt, and I hope Kyoko's spirit forgives me, but our training could kill you. It's beyond just rough. If you really want to know how to defend life by taking others away, and that by the way is the truth, you have to put it all on the line. I am a trained emergency Medic... but accidents do happen. You go this far and it's for keeps. If you want to go further, then you have to get past me first. I've been Dan's support for years. If you want to be my #2 you gotta be as good as me. The next move, is up to you."

"Kamiko is the type that can handle being leveled with if you tell her the truth. A rare breed. She's starting to get like me, she's a budding detective as well... although I think she's more Chi's style. That's what scares me because I couldn't hide secrets from her. If she gets past me and I hand her to you... remember how you floored Kyoko. I think if I get her to that stage, you might have to just for her to buy in or bail out."

"I know... But that kid is drifting. Either we get some wind behind her and send her off to safer waters or we show her how to navigate the storm. Either way eventually she'll be a witness to our world... Perhaps the only way she'll be free is through knowing."

She brushes her "uniform" off. "Alright Dan... this isn't going to get done standing around here."

Mary starts to head out, and she knocks on the doorjam-like portal to the room they were in. "Kamiko... I think I and Dan are finished. Help your friends wrap up or what ever you wanted to do then stick around. I and Dan would like to have a word with you."

Her tone doesn't give away what's coming, in fact, it seems more like it's girl talk than anything.

Kamiko nods, reading a original manuscript from Shakespeare wearing rubber gloves, and carefully manipulating it with her power. "Ah, you and Dan-Sensei are done? A bit quick..."

"Alright everyone, 15 minute warning!" Kamiko says, carefully putting the manuscript away.

She walks over to Mary, hands clasped behind her back. "Okay... care to fill me in?"

Mary nods. "Yeah, but you have to step over here... I don't want your friends to worry."

Kamiko's expression turns to one of concern. "What is it?" She says, stepping over to Mary.

"I've been having questions... about you."

"I hope this isn't about Mars... I'm over it."

"No... just what you've gotten yourself into."

Kamiko listens intently.

"Was all that has happened with Coraline what you expected?"

Kamiko thinks for a moment. "Other than that sinking feeling and the insecurity creeping in... I was pleasantly suprised that there were so many in the cause."

"You think you can be of any good?"

"I can be... Coraline needs people who can find informaiton and keep it safe. I think I can be her librarian easily."

Mary laughs. "Spoken like your Mom. But... With the Den opening up in the Congo and all, what would you do if things did go to hell in the Congo?"

"I... I promised to get everyone out that was a Den asset, of course. Warp them to safety followed by myself. I was thinking of helping with medivac or search and rescue efforts if and when things come to blows... why... is there a issue I should know of?"

"Whoever comes, will be coming at everyone with intent to kill. Are you ready to die for something you didn't ask for?"

Kamiko thinks for a moment. "Dammit Kamiko, don't think of the right response, this isn't one of those damn RPGs you play on your computer! Tell me what comes to mind!"

Kamiko stammers. "I... If it happened, at least I tried to help as many as I could before my end came. I want to help you and Dan... Particaularly Dan... he's family and... I guess you're my long lost sister in a way..."

"Kamiko, I lost many friends and colleagues who had that in their hearts. the need to do the right thing. Starting with Jennifer Landers and going down the line. Do you think Proteus cares if you live or die?"

Mary's words struck a nerve. She had been thinking about her place in Proteus' scheme. "You think... I'm one of them? I... I didn't realize."

"You didn't. Right now with the way you are, you're a liability to Dan and I. We're destined to fight and we will fight to win. You've not even been hurt in your sparring..."

Kamiko sighs. "Alright then... what do I need to do?"

"Whave to make sure you won't slow us down. Dan and I are old friends. Comrades in arms and we got a particular flow that is hard to adapt to a civilian. I know you've got some combat skill but that's only sparring with twelve-year olds. There are people in our world that look at you as another mark for their kill count and nothing more and I sure as hell don't want one of them getting the credit of killing Kyoko's only child. I'll be blunt, and I hope Kyoko's spirit forgives me, but our training could kill you. It's beyond just rough. If you really want to know how to defend life by taking others away, and that by the way is the truth, you have to put it all on the line. I am a trained emergency Medic... but accidents do happen. You go this far and it's for keeps. If you want to go further, then you have to get past me first. I've been Dan's support for years. If you want to be my #2 you gotta be as good as me. The next move, is up to you."

"You think I can help support you and Dan?" Kamiko says, curious.

"It would lighten my load knowing I had a wingman."

Kamiko thinks for a moment.

"Remember... what you choose here has consequences. Real ones. You may get hurt real bad... and that's not on the battlefield. Is that what you want?"

Kamiko shakes for a moment, but then... "Alright. I can't be of any good to anyone if I'm dead. I should fight to live. Because as long as I can do that, I can save whoever, whenever."

"Fighting to save lives... I like that. Alright let's tell Dan... he won't be pleased."

"Why, Mary?"

"He... didn't want this for you. But the situation as it stands and your apparent hesitance in direction is... troubling him greatly."

Kamiko sighs. "Sorry."

Mary stops in front of Kamiko, resisting the urge to slap her. "Dammit child, stop feeling sorry for yourself! Everythign I've seen here you've achieved. If you just would stop self-destructing yourself you might actually be brilliant! Greater than your Mother or Father and if I have to I'm going to knock some of your Dad into you!"

Kamiko steps back a little. "I... I... I..."

"Three I's in one sentence... pretty self centered wouldn't you say?"

The reference breaks her thought. "Um..."

"Look... Dan and I promised to see to it that you'd not have to be in our world. Can you understand how we're feeling about this?"

"Yeah... I do. Your hand is forced and so is mine... I didn't ask for this."

"Yeah well, you just got drafted kid, Deal."

Kamiko sighs. Fully realizing now the road is going to be very rocky from here on. "I guess there is no other choice then."

Mary nods as Kamiko trails behind her. Kamiko moves to Mary's side once they reach Dan. "Alright, Dan... When does this start?" Kamiko asks. "Knowing you it's as soon as I send everyone back."

"Actually, here Kamiko is... we had the talk."

She straightens her uniform. "Kamiko's set. We're going foreward. After she sends off her friends, it's time to put her through boot."

Kamiko gulps.

"The first time is always the scariest, Kamiko. And you're gonna get petrified. Anything you want to say to Kamiko before she puts her affairs in order?"

Shaman looks up as Kamiko enters. A quick look at her expression makes him wonder just what went wrong.

"Aaahhh ... Kamiko, what's wrong? Why are you so unhappy?"

'This is seriously a case of What went wrong while I was previewing the library thing.'

'She seems so ... real when she's just kidding around.'

'True.'

'Well, if I'm her friend I should figure out who pissed in her Corn Flakes.'

Archived