Aberrant: Children of Quantum Fire - [Interlude] Young Justice: Martian Mixer (Fin)

Karren Gaunt

"Relax. As long as you use 'legitimate' sources, you're invisible to this. This program's about finding folks living in hiding, buying from black and grey markets because they can't show their faces in public. As long as that doesn't describe you, you're fine."

"And I'm not too worried about a virus counter-attack. For one, they won't know we're using this system unless we really mess things up. For another, I've got enough network and computer security on Primus to literally choke a goat."

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Butch looked at Dan Hawkins for a moment. Butch's father, Johnny Hellfire, used to tell him stories about missions he'd undertaken during his brief career as an Elite. He recalled hearing about Dan "Delta" Hawkins and remembered how much his father respected the Nova. Butch always wondered why they didn't look to people his father had known for help, but eventually he was able to figure out that Johnny Hellfire wouldn't have been able to live with himself if he knew that they had brought death and destruction to anyone unnecessarily. Seeing Dan with his little girl, Butch knew that his father would have been happy to know that Dan was able to survive and have a daughter.

Part of the reason Butch was so interested in this meeting was to see the measure-of-the-man of Zephyr. For the most part, he seemed genuine, but then again he had a direct interest in the 2nd generation considering his son was like Butch and the rest. This Motherfinding program he came up with seemed like a great idea though, but Butch'd be paying plenty of attention to the Utopian for the rest of the meeting regardless.

He adjusted one of Starseed's weird snake thingies around his waist. Then, Butch raised his hand for a moment. He said, "I'll go next. My name's John Lee Cole, Jr. You can call me Butch. My dad did and I've never found a reason to go by anything else. I'm a 2nd generation nova, too. My dad was an Elite, and I don't know my mom, who bailed on us early on. Dad and I survived on the run until I was 11. Motherhunters caught up with us and..."

He looked over at little Sonja for a moment, considering how he should continue. If Dan had brought her along, well, she'd probably be able to take it.

"...killed him. Right in front of me."

He shrugged, trying to and succeeding at not betraying any deeper emotions. "So, I took care of them. Permanently. For the next few years, I lived on the run, on my own. Did what I had to when I had to. Wasn't pretty. Certainly wasn't easy. Things got better when Traveler took me in and gave me a new family. One I'm grateful for every day. I ain't a model. I ain't an Elite. I'm good with living things. I can make them better. Can do the same thing to myself. If I wanted to, I could probably cause plants to adapt to life here on Mars. If I need to, well, I can make living things worse. Terminally if I need to."

He pointed in the general direction of Earth as he understood it. "Things have to change back on our planet, and me and my family are gonna make sure they change for the better as much as possible. I'm mighty thankful that y'all are working towards a similar goal. Now...anyone else feel like introducing themselves?"

Dan looked to Kamiko. "They know who you are, and where you live kamiko, they always have."

Those words gave a discomfort to her like no other. Why didn't they just get it over with and kill her right when they had the best opportunity? Was she a threat? Wasn't she?

She quietly looks at her lotus blossom, wondering if she's written her own death warrant now.

Zephyr

He looks at the egg for a instant,

"Do you have another one? We should get better surveillance in both Nova Recruitment and Nova Medicine. They are the chief instruments of Proteus inside Project Utopia. Someone in their top tiers has to be involved for them to pull off half of what I've discovered. I can get close to Nova Recruitment, but I'm going to have to use some creativity to get to Nova Medicine. I'll figure something out though."

"If you don't have another on hand, get one to me through Coraline, or Starseed. They know my daily schedule, or have contact points for me. I can have the first on in play tomorrow, around lunch, Ethiopia time."

Zephyr felt confident and pleased. Finally he would be stepping into the struggle he had been sending his former students into. There was risk, but an acceptable one. One, he was Zephyr, and a loyal member of the team since the beginning. Being an egg made the delivery easier."

"Impressive. A honey bee... Some sort of micro mechanical drone? Does it listen? Tap into networks?"

This is sonething that really impresses Star... something that can gather intelligence on a large scale and machining way beyond anything she could fab.

"How is data passed? A transmitter this size couldn't manage much range...unless maybe laser link? Or physical data connection?"

Zephyr was certainly a pro. That sort of software was hard to code properly...a big undertaking. "On the topic of simillar sotware and finances...what sort of precautions can we take? Beyond the old standbys of cash only and avoiding standard police procedural tracking like supply chain tracking."

"My baby sister does have her talents and miracle machines are among them," Coraline offered in a pleased chorus, concealing a frown from the way Kamiko was reacting to events. She didn't say anything because she had been in the same place emotionally before her Apothesis and there was no way she would have accepted help back when her personal safety was at much greater risk than it was now. Kamiko would learn to trust or she would not.

She turned her abhuman gaze on Dan and his daughter. "So where do you fit into all this besides the obvious fact of your lovely daughter? Are you part of this Dragon's Den Star mentioned last time we met?"

She left a third question silent between her and the elite, mother to a whole series of others. Qi Meng. What and how did he know?

"Bees give me the creeps... I was stung by a Japanese Hornet as a kid... it hurt."

She leans foreward observing everyone. "I have a question... If you trust someone... implicitly... without question... is it still healthy to allow doubt, now that we are in this environment?"

Kamiko hops back to her feet and hands her origami blossom to Sonja. "I know you like my flowers... was thinking of you when I made this."

She smooths out her suit. "What... I'm getting at is not do I trust everyone here... what I ask, is do you trust me? Because right now... you guys... are all I got in regards to this."

he had clearly been debating how to go about his own introduction. He looked to Cora and as he opened his mouth kamiko seemed to break down. "Trust is essential Kamiko. You have far more than you know."

He looked at Cora. I'm Daniel Hakwins, formerly a United States Marine, then Elite working for DeVries Directly for The Lady in charge." He nodded. "Before I became a trainer, back from 2000 to 2007 I ran any number of ops, mostly in data recovery, tech recovery/elimanation, and wetwork."

He nodded. "Some of the data in the packet you've all read was uncovered by me, or a member of my old team, and deciphered and coallated by me."

He knew, and he'd been unable to stop it. to risk acting more than they had, would have been ruinous, and everything they knew could have been lost. Anna had made the call, and they'd ceased missions to recover data on it. If it was incidentally there, then good, but it wouldn't be an active mission point. It was a source of shame, he'd followed orders, children had died and been captured, and he knew there'd really been nothing more he could have done, especially afterwards...

he looked to his daughter. "This is my daughter Sonja."

She'd taken the Flower from kamiko and smiled thanking her. When Dan introduced her, she nodded to the assembled novas.

"Then I have a question. If our goal is to spread this data... Would Doryoku and Long be good candidates for the next stage of propagation of "the chemo" for this cancer?"

She adjusts her suit again. Smiling. "Perhaps... I have been doubting my own talents because for so long I've lived in the egg. I well... I think it is time to break out of the shell." She scratches her head. "Dan... if this is mostly your work... I appreciate your sacrifice... and I feel after today many more will be made. Honestly I am afraid. If I ask my adoptive parents to take on this mantle as we have, I ask the two people in my life outside of Dan-Sensei who have been there for me to risk their lives...

You can see my emotional conundrum. I am... potentially... giving a death warrant to whoever is brought into our web. I know the consequences of my actions... I am willing to fight for what I believe in. In any way I can. I feel obligated they must be brought in. Doryoku is a technical genius, and every bit an equal to Denshi in Nippontai. A builder par excellence, and quite the computer wiz. Long... he is an Elite's Elite. I would say at the very least he is on Dan-Sensei's level, and devoted to a proper cause if he is shown one."

She takes her glasses off showing her golden irised, cross-shaped pupil eyes. "When you got me, you got the family... Can I call them in on this?"

Dan shook his head. "Most Certainly not. Their plate is full.' he looked at her. "Your Father would fight the world itself for your mother, or you, and he almost could. Right now though, you will have to make do with my support." the Vehemence in his tone told of something very important being left out.

"It is not mostly my work. I was not alone, there were others some better suited to it than I."

Kamiko almost falls backwards from Dan's remarks.

At first her default response is to run, as she was taught by Origami and Cade. But then something stiffens her back. Something she heard from Origami when she first learned of her papermastery.

"Kamiko... I knew that picking that name would be proper for you. You are the Paper Heart. I had hoped that you would take on a legacy from I and your father and I can see you are following my path. You will be a papermaster beyond what I know. You will have a world ahead of you... you may command paper but at your will it will be harder than stone, sharper than a laser, and do things you never thought possible. You must be strong though, Kamiko... I know we keep you from the world and from harm... that is for a purpose. Perhaps soon... you will understand. Be strong. Believe in your self. You will have strong allies, I am sure of it. You can be a leader if you try, Kamiko. You must take the first step."

Kamiko takes the place she stood again, as if she was planted there by the river of truth. "Very well... I'm ready then to see where we will go with this. As I said before this is my responsibility, and I must live up to it. For better or worse."

Alexandra handed Zephyr another capsule without comment, then glanced at Starseed. She sidled over closer so she could talk shop without interrupting the others, monitoring their conversation at the same time she was engaged in talking to Star.

"The bees are slaved to a central processor...the hive...which keeps tabs on their locations, coordinates their movements, and serves as a repository for their transmissions. Each hive has a burst transmitter that sends a packet including all the data recorded by all the bees of the hive to my satellites, which then stores them until Primus can handshake, and relays the packet to the main computer there. In this case, because the bees in Utopia can't access a full hive structure, I'll have to improvise something smaller that Zephyr can sneak in and out easily. Won't need it right away though. Takes the bees time to get in position."

"In fact, here." Alex presented Starseed with yet another capsule. Inside was, as advertised, a honeybee. However, Starseed's superhuman senses immediately began to see the differences. It had a tiny power source, for one, and was warmer than a normal bee would be. Building materials were lightweight metal alloys and polymers, and the scale of engineering suggested possible micro or even nanotech fabrication.

"They mostly record sounds," Genesis said. "They can do some video pickup but the quality's bad and the range is short. Mostly useful for snapping shots of documents while they crawl over them. Rudimentary, but I have more sophisticated surveillance platforms installed into birdlike chassis too. Sparrows, mostly. They're bigger, so I can make them more autonomous."

Talking shop a little ways away "Amazing ... I can't see nano yet, but I am guessing that the diffraction patterns and opalescence here and here are surface pattern circuity? You've got all sorts of meta materials in here too I wager - at least the refractive index of those lenses in the eyes look way out of range for anything else ... very nice."

She looks up at Gensis "You know, we might be able to hammer out something critical today. I've struggling with communications. Because of the way I fabricate things right now I am limited to micro-circuitry at best. I'm working with metals and ceramics I process directly from ore, mostly in the belt. A few other things that are just too inefficient for me to make are pretty easy scrounge from discarded consumer electronics ... though the test and bench top equipment you have provided solves some of that ..."

"... Still, an example of the methods I use: I weave energy servitors modeled on, say a millipede. except the rear of the body is just a stationary base and all of the legs are micro-manipulators. I weave them with Nova level dexterity and even strength, so they can do incredibly fine work, very fast, and instead of soldering they use their very strong manipulators to do compression welding and fitting. Essentially all of my primary production equipment is woven from energy, same as the shuttle over there."

"So when it comes to electronics, I've been able to build good radio sets - but they are huge. The size of a large refrigerator. They work like a charm, have insanely high power and great sensitivity - using modernized vacuum tubes those traits are easy. Its handling the digital signals and crypto that has been tough, and requires all sorts of dedicated circuit modules because I can't do nano-scale chip fab. Now, my big radio sets are fine for ship based work - ideal even because the tech is so clunky that you can EMP it and it will still work once you de-gauss it ... just like the backup NORAD systems they built with tubes in the 1980's. Really good in space, but one big problem ..."

"They are too big to lug around in my shuttles. I mean I could, but it would be a pain and take up seating room. For the purposes of getting in touch with you all, I could build a special purpose set. It would be much smaller - maybe the size of a suitcase - because I just wouldn't include the whole range of digital signal modules. If I could include just the signal modes and crytpo you need me too."

"Whatever signal mode and specs you want to work with are fine by me, by the way ... of course, I am going to adapt to match your network not vise versa. Then I can finally stop using the op-net for all my comms. Even with paranoid messaging protocols and extensive Intel tradecraft, the op-net is just so heavily monitored."

Shaman

He moved to Kamiko's side. Speaking softly,

"It's okay. We all kick in what we can and rely on the others to do the same. No one's asking any one of us to carry all this weight. It's too much really, and we risk becoming what we hate if we were to try and go that route. We are all termites ... Great Big Powerful Termites that are working together to attack the structure that is Proteus. We are all at risk. We all hazard something, mostly our lives, but sometimes the lives of the one's we love. You can rely on any of us if you need some back-up, or just reassurance."

He smiles down at the equally young nova.

"We are not alone. There are more of us than represented today. Given time, we will do what needs to be done, and you will be part of that. Have faith in what you do best, because that is enough, and all we are expecting of you. Nothing more. Got it?"

Zephyr

He took the second egg without comment. Already he was formulating a plan. He would hit Recruitment, and Wordsmith would hit Medicine. It would take a week of effort and a good smoke screen to get the bee in place, but he could do it. He had to. When he got home, he would schedule a meeting for tomorrow with the head of NR. Dropping the egg off in a rare Australian flower would be easy. Crossing over to Wordsmith's office would be easy, and there would be little suspicion because he would reactivate the link once he touched down. The paperwork would get rolling a day ahead of his visit to his former student.

All those thoughts took less than a second.

Kamiko turns to Shaman. "I'm sorry this freight train is coming down on Ein. We in the Den owe him so much yet the resources of the Den I would assume have to be protected in order for the Den to serve it's purpose... If there was anything I can do in that regard I would..."

She sighs. "I know... it's not my fault, but I feel a sense of obligation for the favor he did us... although I don't think there is time enough for auditing when the bombs start dropping."

"Shaman, its an idea ... but maybe you could coordinate ways for us to effectively work with the defense forces of the Congo? From what information I have, a significant part of that would be working with the Morrigan. Any ideas on what else could be done? ...

... unless thats already being worked on in some other fashion?"

Star looked at Kamiko "Given the proceedings of that planning meeting for the Den location, the people in charge seem to be placing the defense of the facility squarely in the hands of the Congo defenders, again including the Morrigan. It seemed that no matter how much any of us focused on security it was pretty much dismissed, with the exception of the idea that sheltering near Kinshasa would be akin to a shield. That is a fine and valid choice, but one that very much influences the safety of many young Novas who will be there."

"Of course, another option is that the Den has secret forces, weapons, etc. that they tried to avoid disclosing to outsiders at that meeting. Still, the Den is a factor that should be assessed. Assessed in terms of a proper tactical analysis, with rigor. In the meeting there was not enough real information presented to make such analysis feasible."

"Further scenarios exist, but are improbable ... but we need to plan for the safety of those young Novas."

When Star looked at Kami, it was clear there was a hint of worry. Star wondered what she could do to help her friend. Now wasn't the time or place though, maybe all she could do was be there to support her. God, if there was one, knows Star had the same issues and had to work through them alone. That wouldn't be the way Kami had to do it.

"Outside of any combat capable novas at the Congo Den site, all other effort should be in evacuating any who are not to a safe location in Tokyo and reabsorbing them into the Tokyo Den. It would be my job to pull them out once the fighting starts or any risk is assessed. If you wish to assist in a evacuation scenario, Star, the assistance would be greatly appreciated."

She nods happily. "When you can't face the army, run."

"Now on my end I really should start building a network of friendly Novas and Humans on my own that can assist us in our efforts. I have a few potential candidates, but due to recieving the papers they may not be trusted or at the very least be extremely vulnerible. I should at least ask is there any trusted individuals I can talk to and start building a network with?"

The air of her demeanor is serious, but diplomatic and friendly. She's not had a chance to show her diplomatic, personable side to anyone recently.

"I'm sorry if I am asking so many questions, but I like to get a read on what I should be doing. I'm just conceiving ideas right now."

"No better place to ask questions than here, although you're not nearly as lacking in good advise if Mr. Hawkins is as experienced as he implies in this," Coraline's chorus goodnaturedly commented, the young metamorph thrilled at how well this was coming together for a starting meeting, "Well, you've got us and I for one will be glad to arrange a regular meeting point with you to convey what you find and need to my family, Kamiko."

Kamiko nods. "I understand."

She takes a deep breath and tries to find focus. When she opens her mind a little, sometimes she can see what is necessary in front of her, but with her doubts lingering she has resorted to simply roll with the punches.

"I... apologise for my seeming manic behavior as of late. In a month I've gone from reclusive bookworm to, at least from my perspective, the center of attention for a lot of adults and peers... There... is a bit of pressure, and I'm not talking my space suit." She says with a giggle. "Anyways, I'm sorry for hogging the floor, everyone." She says, politely bowing.

"It's okay," Genesis said. "And I just want to say...if any of you guys needs a safe space to crash or put some gear or whatever, Primus is available. It's as secure as I can make it and has plenty of space right now. We're all in this together, so that's one way I'm giving back."

"Submarine," Alex replied grinning. "And don't feel too bad. Building it was very involved. I actually wound up importing metals from another solar system...though that had as much to do with Warren wanting to flex his wings as it did me."

"Impressive. Did you design it yourself, or use another current model for your basis?"

Genesis intrigued him. If this was going to go down, She and starseed offered viable alternative locations to hide Sonja away, while he took care of business. Perhaps even She could help him In certain Technical endeavors as well.

There were so many burgeoning possibilities....

"Submarine?!!? Coooool" Kamiko thought as she sat back town, picking up and looking at a random rock.

She thinks of how she's to be the captian of her own starship, yet now... she's got ship envy. If there was one thing she loved, it was riding with Doryoku as she tested her latest deep-sea submarine. It was like a space ship but cooler... because the trip home wasn't as long.

She looks at the red dust gathered on her gloves from the martian surface. Wondering why the red planet now seemed so... pedestrian.

Zephyr

"Best to keep such things as Primus as secret as possible. We do not yet have an idea how much they know. They've had decades to establish a network in Japan and I'm sure they are looking for the 2nd generation there as anywhere else. Perils of a free society."

'I'm not even going to tell my team about Primus yet. We have a long way to go, and there is no guarantee that all of us will make it.'

"We need to figure out what they are planning in particular. I'll see what kind of efforts Team2morrow are preparing for, if any. Anyone who can figure out what elites are being contracted over the next month would be useful as well."

'I need to keep this meeting focused. There is a lot of power here, but we need to keep our eye on the goal here - the downfall of Proteus.'

Shaman

"Submarine! Cool. It must be really deep."

'Or heavily cloaked.'

'The power I've seen IS pretty impressive. They could do it.'

'Alex could do it.'

'None of them are very dull.'

'Kind of makes me wonder.'

"What does the group need the Congo to do? I'll share what happens here with the King and Morrigan, but a more concrete idea of what you want us to do would be really helpful."

"I can handle the Elites. Anna and I go back a very long way, and she might actually give me the information freely."

he smiled. There was alot of history there. "I can almost assure you few DV Elites will be used, though Janissairies or one of the other agencies likely will take up the slack, which is good, They're nowhere near as dangerous."

"Since we are on the topic of the upcoming war... I was thinking that I could act to expand your logistics network. Obviously, you have a warper ... but two is better than one. Far better than just double, because it means redundancy in case we need to deal with high capacity events like multiple evacs or several simultaneous ops - in cooperation with regular Congolese defense forces, with lots of individuals and equipment, for example." Obviously, redundancy also applied to loosing people, but that was understood without needing to be said.

"I also have a few space habitats that can operate as temporary refuges, again in case the Primus is full or in case we need a tactically disposable habitat. The capacity is ten normal people - baseline - for about a month of independent life support per hab. They can be almost anywhere in deep space as they are designed to transit through gates. They are really basic, and maybe I could use help building a few more ... but thats the point behind the design, they work and they are easy to fab so even disposable in extreme situations. I have three right now, though only one has comfort and cosmetic touches ... the other two are functional."

"Of course, I can make a clone available 24/7 during alert periods ... though we will still need to workout those signal modes so I can do radio comms with you all. Also, its better that I use radio sets that I can build - and repair. It means I can expand the network, and gear lost in battle doesn't cripple it."

"Genesis - I would really appreciate your input on designs and production methodology for the entire system set of the habs, and comms. I'm not in your league, so I am sure even a few of your insights could mean faster build times for me, improved performance - maybe even simpler designs that still do the job. It has to be in my paradigm though: robust tech that I can fab anywhere in the galaxy, that works well and is easy for baselines to fix - even if it does look like something clunky and huge from classic trek. Renewable, baseline appropriate tech."

Genesis nods at Starseed, though she points out, "I'd be happy to work with you, but be aware that the way you do things and the way I do are pretty different if what I'm seeing is right. You're manipulating forces directly, creating what is essentially an illusion of matter. Means you don't have all the limitations I do...but it also means your constructs will never really be independent of you. Pros and cons either way. Still, there might be some places of overlap."

"As for Primus, it's based on the old Russian Typhoon design, but pretty radically redone. It'd still look a lot like a Typhoon from outside, but inside it's got SOTA electronics, countermeasures, the benefit of every advantage I can fling at it. Thorium reactors replacing the old, clunky uranium isotopes. Additional living space and a workshop replacing most of the missile bays. The rest of the missiles were replaced by a launch facility for a minisub, in case Warren's not available to warp us in and out. Sonar resistant, runs quiet, and it's faster than you'd expect from something of its size. Long term life support for a full complement that'll last months at normal consumption...and that's adjusted for nova appetites."

The pride in her voice was unmistakable.

"It's got weapons too, but frankly the best weapons it has are the people living inside it. Nothing like a gaggle of Titan-class, apotheosized novas to discourage direct assaults. Assuming you can find it in the first place."

She nods at Zephyr. "I don't tell anyone where it is. Warren knows how to find it, so he can warp people in and out. Otherwise it's need to know. The needle in the haystack effect is our first line of defense. Even clairvoyants typically have to have SOME idea of the area they're targeting. And if we're found? Well, I've installed a quantum resonance detector, so any foreign signatures will be immediately recognized and set off alarms."

Shaman

Shaman felt much of this was going fairly over his head. Still, it gave him food for thought on what he might end up doing. Multiple, long-lasting clones ... made of biological matter instead of raw energy? Warping ... seemed so useful, but how did it fit? Did it have to? What was the real meaning of being a nova and apothesis?

'When the time arrives, it arrives. It all fits to each in its own time.'

Zephyr

He nodded upon hearing their plans. Things were working out well, everything considered. If this could be made in a cohesive whole, they would be nearly unstoppable. Proteus better watch out. They probably were, but did they plan on their opposition cooperating? Probably not. They'd spent a great deal of time and effort hiring elites and using Utopian pawns as tools of breeding distrust and anger. This time ... this time they were the one's ahead of the curb.

Starseed listened intently to everyone, nodding at the description of the Primus - even raising an eyebrow at mention of quantum resonance detectors ... those were notoriously intricate and bleeding edge devices. It sounded very impressive, certainly Coraline and crew were far along in their plans. It all hinged on the Apotheosis though, and perhaps, with some intensive research, Star could develop some sort of scenario or simulation to stimulate hers. Perhaps it could even be done via a combination of meditation and controlled environmental stimulii - after all, if her environment and her mental state were both properly altered there was no difference between an experience in a meditation chamber and the sort of stressful 'eruption' style situation that Mother had mentioned was the root of Aoptheosis.

Putting that idea aside for later, Star mentioned to Zephyr "Oh, by the way - since I am now officially on the books as Kate Janeway, from my early contact with you. That cover, as far as I know, is still intact. Do you think it might be a good idea to continue working that angle? ... certainly I can't join Utopia or anything, but as I understand it you have a history of mentoring young Novas before they officially come to the Project. For years even ... I was thinking that allows us to get some good face time in. Do some useful things and you can call it 'mentoring' in your official day planner ...

...what do you think?"

"Along the the same lines - of getting together and coordinating on a regular basis. If your warper - Warren? - wouldn't be averse to checking a few very isolated places once in a while I could leave dead drops there. I am thinking that the 'needle in the haystack' effect would make dead drops left in certain caverns of medium sized asteroids a fairly safe way to communicate. So long as the locations are far from earth, they are quite secure. Like-wise, I would check a separate set of locations for dead-drops from you and yours. Zephyr, if you get a trust worthy warper on your team of alumni, we would arrange a few more sets of locations for dead drops with him or her ... but in typical trade craft style, no one can use the same set of locations in case someone is compromised ...

... Kamiko, your warp is more than strong enough for locations on the moon. We would set up locations for you there. Still very secure.

... sound good?"

Later, Off Camera
Star is suggesting plans, locations, etc. that really don't need to be worked out 'on camera' ... its fine if we just hammer out the plan and assume specifics are set up as they would be ... For dramatic purposes, we don't actually need a complete list of where every dead drop is, just what the SOP is.

Butch listened intently to the conversations. Starseed and Kamiko were incredibly eager to make their mark on the world (far, far from where they were on Mars, Butch was thinking...), which was great to know. The more 2nd Generation novas they could get on their side the better, but it seemed like Dan Hawkins and especially Zephyr could be game-changing allies.

Butch nodded at Shaman. Once he had the Prince of Congo's attention, Butch said, "What do we need the Congo to do? I ain't about to dictate orders to a nation with a fully functional government and, more importantly, sovereign like Einherjar. We can make suggestions though, so I'll tell you what we need you to do. We could do with a liaison since it's been pretty tough to reach anybody in Kinshasa lately. I'm sure Ein's busy as all hell, but we ain't heard word one from him in a long while. This ain't really the venue for serious planning, but we'll be happy if we can get your word that you'll be our go-to-guy. You ready to stand and be counted, hoss?"

Butch looked to the elder 1st Generation novas with them on the Red Planet. "We could also use your help with figuring things out regarding the Congo situation, too. Zephyr, I don't know how much obvious help you can give us, but if you could pass info our way regarding Utopian movements in the area around Congo, especially Angola since our sources say that's where this powder keg's gonna get lit, we'd be mighty grateful. Mr. Hawkins, I'd love to talk shop with you if that's possible. Another tactical titan like yourself could really help us out.

"Primus is a great ol' place for a kid surprisingly enough." Sonja was a cute kid, and Eric and Zia could probably use a friend their own age. He smiled at Sonja, then looked back at Dan.

"My Aunt Serenity can help watch lil' Sonja. Plus, we rescued a pair of 2nd generation kids around Sonja's age a few months back and I'm sure they'd appreciate a new friend around their own age. How's this all sound gentlemen?"

Dan looked at Butch and nodded, remember his Father's words decades before. "That would almost be like old times, talking with you."

He looked at Sonja, who'd unfortunately been exposed to alot more than her father wished recently. The prospect of other novas her own age, The almost assured security, he could see what she wanted in her eyes. "Alright.' he looked to Genesis , who seemed to have the most investment in Primus, and nodded. "If you'd permit, I'd ask if Sonja and I could stay aboard the ship for a time. I have to take care of some things before I trust to bring her on land again unless I have to."

"I haven't seen your Aunt and uncle in some time now. It would be nice to catch up, with them and with some of you and your siblings." his eyes flicked to Cora for a moment the refocused on Butch and Genesis.

"We'll see what they have to say about arranging a meeting, but for now Sonja would be welcome to join us whenever you want and for however long you both feel it would be best," Coraline volunteered, the merest incline of her head indicating she got the message and was acutely interesting in a conversation.

She offered a reassuring smile to Father and Daughter, "If flight is one of your gifts, Sonja, we have five other guests who can, too. Try and take them out for secure one hour flights once a week. You're welcome to come. I grew up afraid of betraying my family by flying above ground and only recently starting feeling safe enough to do it again. Made me more unhappy then I realized, so now, I'm trying to prevent others from feeling stiffled like that."

He noted the lack of invitation to himself, and resisted the urge to regard this as a snub, and a desire to use Sonja against him. "Sonja cannot fly unassisted, sadly she didn't inherit that particular gift." He nodded.

she took it from there, "but Daddy's taken me up a number of times, because I asked."

Kamiko nods. "I would be willing to be Sonja's pilot, if that is acceptible, Dan."

She pulls out some paper, and readies it.

"People here should keep it in mind, Sonja is as much in this now... no matter how innocent she is of it... as are all of us. Dan is fighting for her future, and I am willing to help shoulder some of his burdens in necessary. We may not be related, but Sonja is a sister by association."

She adjusts her suit and pats Sonja on the shoulder. "I will be happy to be her babysitter if asked."

"Star... there's too many lunar probes orbiting now to have any real secrecy. How about in the asteroid belt? Ceres or Vesta make ideal locations for bases due to their size and they've cleared most of their space around them enough for safely placing a base there. I could reach that... with practice. I've only gone as far as the Moon, but I think I can do it... even if it takes a hop or two... Sonja is vacuum worthy I assume?"

"You'd be surprised how secure a randomly chosen location on Earth without much forewarning is. Everyone needs *time* to organize a raid powerful enough to take out a group of Novas even assuming they're cappable of instantly determining the meeting is something they want to take out, and assuming we're quick about it, they won't get that time before we're gone. I have too many obligations to operate that way all the time right now, and someday I hope to not have to, but it is a way to get things done," Coraline contributed evenly, a confident smile on her face as she added her two cents to the proceedings.

"The problem is a dead drop message needs to hang around for a while - unattended. This is so we can organize meetings without having a pre-ordered schedule. Pre-arranged meeting schedules fall apart under stress. We need secure comms that a bunch of us can use."

"We can setup drop locations, no worry. I know enough astrometric tricks to accomodate warpers, porters, or fliers of limited range. Basically, put the drop point in the middle of no-where."

Archived