Mutants & Masterminds: Lake City Universe - M&M 3E - LCU: The Home of Heroes (OOC)

Heritage

Agent Gary: I'm working on a forensics-heavy post, which is taking longer than I thought as i've had to do a bit of research myself. The two detectives will discussing the killings a bit, but there will be additional details you'll pick up in the files, as well as a PM I'll send you with info about the two previous recorded cases of exceptional serial killers (thankfully they're vary rare in my universe!). The stuff you included in your last post was all excellent, by the way.

That sounds perfect, and thanks I tried to stay within the bounds of reasonable assumption based on typical movie fare and limited real life knowledge.

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not the kind of ritual I or Gary meant

less magic and more "things are done a certain way because that's they way they are done" type ritual

Jack the Ripper not only slashed his victim's throats, but he slashed their abdomens, and in later murders, removed organs, not out of some kind of magic voodoo hoodoo, but because he was likely a little (or a lot) crazy and had a genuine hatred of women.

Ritual is just a form of tradition. You see that a lot in religion. You also see it a lot in certain so-called "Magical" practices. Things like ritual circles and the like. The essence is the same: Something that is done simply because that is the way that it is done.

My comment was more focused on my character in general, not regarding your post. I just mean to say that with his background and the nature of his powers, I feel like the arcane / summoning / demonic rituals are something he should get to know, solely for flavor and his own benefit not because it has anything to do with the plot arc at hand.

For the cops or super brains in the bunch, a decent DNA lab could run special tests. The standard DNA test compares 12 markers, PCRs them out (amplifying the samples) to see if they match. That provides a good degree of certainty ... but it is possible to do testing on say 20 markers and tell if they are exactly identical (i.e. a standard DNA test might not be sufficient to indicate if they are clones).

Of course, Volt again does not know these things :)

I'm gonna say that no brain activity means no telepathic contact can be made; Agent Samson can explain this to his teammates.

Also I'm gonna be offline most of this weekend, but I will be finishing up several NPC character sheets, as the shit will hit the fan next week - yay!

Okay, so in lieu of me having to post a one liner of "which bank?" I'll ask that question here. That way I can include the answer in my post and move along faster.

"Bank robbery? Which bank?"

"Lake City Federal Reserve!"

"I'm on it!"

That sort of thing...

Also, is there required team transport to the site? Or is Hellhound free to go rushing off on his own? In short: What's the "En-Dee-Em"? Wikipedia has me at a loss: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NDM

His immediate reaction would be to teleport to street level and then sprint to the bank, but I want to avoid any snafus involving posts getting mixed up, out of order, or any arguments about, "But my character has already left!" Or any of that jazz. Can Hellhound bolt off quickly? Or should he be waiting for some direction?

I probably should have made that post a little longer, but I was rushed at the time...in fact, give me a chance to beef it up a bit today before anybody posts, and I'll include the name and intersection of the bank.

"En-Dee-Em" is a phoneticism (not that such a word exists) of 'NDM', aka the 'Nazi Deathmobile', a jocular nickname for the team transport vehicle. I'll also include more detail about that in the edited post

From now on, the vehicle will be referred to as 'The Beast', which looks pretty much like this:

http://image.4wheelo...t_side_view.jpg

There are also riot gratings over all the windows and the whole thing's bulletproof; I statted it up, but need to track down the stats in my notes. The seal of Baker County is on the two doors and the back hatch in light gray.

It's cool, Heritage. I think that we can all agree as adults that this is a great example of why talking about things and compromising is an effective way of carving out games. When playing with new people, it's tough to realize what may or may not be a faux paus with them. This is why we raise objections and hash things out rather than getting angry and being unreasonable.

"The Beast" is a good name. Reminds me of that movie...

So, Hellhound is still an out - of - towner. But if he was going to police the place, I'd think he'd have learned the locations of most of the major streets. Like knowing where you are in relation to Broadway while working your way through Manhattan. Major banks would probably have been a good landmark to know as well. Safe to assume a Expertise: Local DC 10? 15? To see if he can get there on his own?

Expertise: Local Landmarks DC 10 or 15? (1d20+2=3) Well, in either case, he has NO CLUE where that is.

So, Standard and Move actions to activate both of his power containers (if it even matters at this stage of the game).

And to further clarify, his voice is NOT different like Bruce Wayne vs Batman different from the Dark Knight. It just carries a more substantial quality that focuses a listener's attention better. He's like the one guy in the crowd who's voice you can always pick out no matter how soft he whispers when everyone else is yelling.

Yeah, I'll wait on Volt and Blitz, too. I might throw in some sort of IC reaction from Mike to the change once they're all in the vehicle and moving; I was sort of figuring his mind was racing at the thought of going out into the field for the first time.

Unfortunately the two FBI agents had beaten them there and it had already left. Hellhound folded his arms and stared impatiently as the display showed it had just reached the bottom floor. Hellhound stood behind the other two men and watched as Mike reached out to press the "Down" button for the elevator. Not one to stand and twiddle his thumbs, he opened his mouth instead, "Frankly, if we're going to stop a bank robbery in progress, this is taking entirely too long. Excuse me, gentlemen, but we're taking the stairs." Before Mike could press the button, Hellhound reached out, and grabbed the shirt collars of both men.

For the tiniest fraction of a second, both men could hear a strange, tortured scream which was suddenly cut short.

They stood in the entrance lobby of the building in front of the elevator, the area smelled of sulfur, and there were thin wisps of smoke trailing from the shoulders of their clothing. The elevator doors had only just begun to open, revealing the two detectives inside. Hellhound gestured to the now open elevator. "I'm not sure where the tunnel actually is, or I would have taken us straight there. This will at least save us a few seconds of waiting for this thing to come back up."

Quote, I'm not sure about what you mean here. Lisowski and Colby are Lake City PD. And did HH just grab Mike and Gary and leave Blitz and Volt on the upper level?

Woops I'll edit, but yea, he left the two characters that can either fly, or run REALLY fast upstairs. Figuring that they could make their own way to the bottom floor in as little or less time than he and the others could. I'll edit the FBI thing.

Let me know if you need more answers to the questions you've got...

I'll add that, in addition to remembering who Hellhound is, she'll notice some differences. The Hellhound she's previously met was much more similar thematically to The Second Level of Hell in Dante Alighieri's Divine Comedy. The one that's simply a whirling tornado of passions, lust, and violence. When she last saw him, he was all sound and fury. Unintelligible, raging, unstoppable psychotic fury.

He's different now. He's very much in control of his powers. Her initial reaction might have been for Hellhound to just start attacking things, but when she realizes that he can actually speak in that form, she'd realize that he is much different than the last time she met him. She might still be afraid, but she'd be aware of the differences if nothing else.

I think I did an okay job of describing any and all sensory input that would have occurred as a result of the teleport. The screaming, etc. I would prefer it if you had Gary react however he might to the suspicion that he and those he teleported with had just run through hell. I can't TELL you what it does physically to your character, that's for you to decide. If you think this experience would make him nauseous, so be it, you know?

Archived