Aberrant: Children of Quantum Fire - Mountain Rescue - Aftermath [5.3]

Quantum Fire

"Your assuming I know all of that, I don't, I know some things, there is someone behind Proteus that folks sometimes call the Nyx, and they say she's the right hand of the Proteus director, that she guides most of the projects, some say that she's the guiding hand behind it all. I've never met her, or met anyone who has, she doesn't appear to be willing to meet with agents directly, even folks coming from her with instructions have a message of a message, with a code word that changes regularly to indicate it's from her. I'm not supposed to know even that much, but I've been in a few too many minds to hid it, situations were I was asked, or needed to read someone's mind for everyone's safety."

She paused. "As to getting paid, I have millions, but for this, the payment for this job was made though a third party cutout, it always is for these kind of things.. I know that they have two other labs they were doing things with, but no details to exactly what. Proteus works very much on a need to know basis, as much for a situation like this, as for telepathic interrogations, or people turning against them and their goals, or being turned by social nova's."

"Contacts are a different matter.. I know of a few ways and few contacts that I can use to make contact, but by now, I'm sure they've realized something has happened that wasn't supposed to, and I would be considered compromised."

Not really trusting himself to talk, Warren watched. This was a (former) mother hunter? Potential time walker? She wasn't what he'd expected.

Warren did a q-scan on her and settled back to listen.

{OOC: Lie Detector on, Q-Scan her and see if he recognizes any temporal manipulation/Cross Time Travel aspects to her signature.}

It was worth a shot to ask for this kind of information from Mindwave, but Butch wasn't too surprised when she wasn't able to provide much that they could use. Still, knowing that there was probably someone else calling the shots at Proteus was useful. Whoever this Nyx was, they needed to find out as much as they could about him or her.

"Well," Butch said. "It was worth a shot. We're definitely interested in this Nyx character. We'll take the names and any information regarding your contacts though. We're not gonna have you contact them, but we'll definitely take the info. And any other info you think might be helpful in dealing with your former employers for that matter."

He paused for a moment.

"And we need to discuss what happens next. It seems like you've been around for a bit and can probably take care of yourself, but if possible, I'd like to set you up with the Aberrants. They probably have the best set-up to keep you safe out there. Plus, you can probably really help them out with your knowledge, abilities, and skills. You'll have to meet our contact first and they'll probably be wary about you, but I'm sure they can find a way to work with you. What do you say about that?"

Warren decided that Butch had skipped some facts and he said, "Mindwave? You understand you just became evil, right? If you're on tape anywhere beating someone up or anything like that, it's going to end up in the press. If you're not then they'll make something up. Your friends and lovers will be watched. Your bank accounts frozen. Your parents might be murdered just to make you show up at their grave. Law enforcement is going to be told you're a taint mad nuclear terrorist."

Warren continued, "I only wish I were kidding or exaggerating. Plans have already been drawn up, lies planned out, steps made in preparation of this contingency. You're not going to be just a normal fertile nova who can be trusted to make a mistake and be killed, you also know too much. Your former coworkers are going to try to kill you and many or most of them have their jobs because they'll kill babies."

Erin or Mindwave stood up, she smiled slightly at Warren in response to his words... "I'll take that under consideration, better to do the right thing and be thought a villain, then do the wrong thing as thought a hero. And I know who the true hero here is in my eyes." Even as she spoke she went to Butch then put both around his neck, and kissed him soundly, if he would let her, she would even plaster herself to him as closely as possible, clearly showing her feelings toward the extremely attractive man who had spared her life, offered her a chance to regain her honor, and opened up the possibility of children to her, the one thing she had thought impossible, it was true that others were involved, but to her, one man mattered more then anything else, his actions had proven himself to her completely. Of course, she wasn't entirely thinking logically, this was an emotional decision as much as a mental one, there was shame in her voice, as well as desire, as she made the choice that would shift the course of her life completely.

"You have spared my life and my honor, and shown great mercy in your actions, and proven your honor is greater then mind, my life and my honor are yours." Her tone sounded formal, almost as though she was pledging allegiance, personally, to Butch.. which was true in a way, in her view it was more binding then the idea of a life dept, she was pledging her personal allegiance to him, not the Abberants, or the others of his family, but to Butch himself. "Ask what you will of me, and it is yours."

"Please, let me redeem my honor in service." She stepped back knelt at his feet at the end of that, look up at him and wait for him to accept or reject her heartfelt plea.

If Butch accepts, Giving him Ally 1 for free, though she's a bit more then just an ally, she's sort of a follower with the power of an ally, but I figured that was the best way to cover it.. but that's conditional on his accepting her offer, feel free to do what you please with it Butch.

"That's up to you," Coraline answered honestly, nodding warmly at *this* family's guardian, "We're going to be meeting a friend, Madame Sophia Rousieu, the one who told us about you, in a few hours to discuss the results of the mission. If you want to go with her to one of her safe havens, you can. If you want to stay here on the Primus with us, like two others we rescued, you can once we make some arrangements. You want to go back out there on your own, you can although we'd definitely worry and try to offer you a few safeguards before you left."

"All your choice, that's what we're trying to protect here. Feel free to tell me to leave if you'd like to talk in private, I really don't mind," she finished, brushing a lock of hair out of her face.

Even as Coraline spoke with the girls and their mother Shen reached out and touched Maia's hand, attuning her quantum signature for a moment, and they appeared in the room just as the rescuees' were about to respond. "Can we stay with yo... oh, lord..." Maia's lovely appear caused all three girls and their mothers to slip into a stat of awe, and they were already a bit awed by Cora already.

Even dressed in extremely plain clothes, there was no hiding Maia's truly divine beauty. She smiled to the girls and to Cora and nodded. "How are all of you doing?"

The reaction of mind numbed awe at her appearance made her wish she had Cora's ability to dim the lights as it were. Still she soldiered on. "My name's Maia, It's a pleasure to meet all of you." She looked back to Traveler, and nodded.

When they didn't respond immediately, Maia sighed. "Was it something I said?"

"Just Uncle Shen making another point, I think," Coraline volunteered with a measuring look for her teacher and parent-figure, masking her apperance and power in a creeping shift that left her looking and sounding like an average baseline young woman to the eyes and ears and feeling like a baseline even to quantum senses, commenting to the rescuees, "It's okay, my sister is very... impressive, so I'm turning myself 'down' so you can find a little room to think. Same thing happened to me a week or so ago when Pip Apothesized. Nod if you'd like us to go and give you a chance to decide."

Husk on

Butch didn't sense any bad intentions as Mindwave approached him. Besides, he was fairly confident he could take anything she could dish out. But he wasn't prepared for the kiss she laid on him.

He pushed her away as gently as he could without shoving. Then he considered what she had to say. When he thought about it, Butch felt responsible for the change of heart Mindwave was showing.

She kneeled before him and Butch had to act.

"Get up off your knees, Erin," Butch said, pulling her off the ground gently. "I ain't looking for a servant. I'm not your master. I'll think of you as an ally if anything. For now, Warren's right in that folks will be after you. I think your best bet will be to work with the Aberrants for now. They have the infrastructure to hide you and give you a chance to make a difference. That doesn't mean you're only with them though. You can still help us out, too, if that idea appeals to you."

Butch had a feeling the idea would appeal to her. It would be good to have an ally out there like Mindwave, but Butch would have to keep an eye on her actions...

Alex grimaced at Erin's servile display, and shook her head as she turned and started to leave the room.

"Looks like you got this one covered. Let me know when Rousseau shows. I need to think about this 'Nyx' character a bit, see what's floating around out there on the OpNet."

She whisked up a portable OpNet reader as she got a door blessedly between her and Mindwave's meltdown.

Redeem my honor in service? For God's sake, have some PRIDE!

Erin stood up and took a deep breath, then smiled slightly at the others present, her manner was still rather.. subdued in a way, and she was half relieved and half disappointed by the response from Butch. She glanced over at Warren as he spoke up, then back at Butch and the departing Alex. "Perhaps I can help, at the very least I can tell you what I know about them before you begin questioning them?" She wasn't sure they would trust her so quickly, but she had a measure of hope that they might, and besides, they likely had someone listening who knew if truth or lies were being spoken.

Meanwhile, it took the girls and their mothers a moment before before they could manage to get themselves a bit less overwhelmed, looking at Maia was an assault on the visual senses, and some of them had very sharp senses. After a moment, Angel seemed to collect herself first, but as the most beautiful present, she likely was the most use to dealing with it. "As I was going to say.. can we stay with you for now, it seems safer for us all."

"If it is left up to me, I'd say yes, though the real decision belongs to Uncle. Saying that, after this raid, it may not be as safe as you think. We're a rather large target on their radar now, and they won't hesitate to shut us down in the only fashion they know." She looked to Shen. "Still, if it's what you want, I'd welcome you all here." Maia's good-heartedness was plainly evident. She wasn't manipulative, and something of an easy read. Most would call her both honest and earnest. She looked to Cora as well for support, knowing the braintrust would have their own ideas.

"What my sister said," Coraline emphatically agreed, "As long as we have room, I'd be glad to have you as long as you want and need to stay."

She gave her mentor a glance as well. This was his call, his sight longer than any of theirs, and she'd abide by his descion much as she couldn't see refusing them even a few days sanctum after what the Mother Hunters had attempted today. This was getting dirty now.

Shen responded to the questioning look from his two, well, daughters might be the best word, even if they were not biologically related. "I see no reason for them not to stay, it may actually be a good idea in the long run, especially if we go ahead and develop a public face, expanding to include any number of nova's may not be a bad idea, a large enough group can make a great impact on the world."

Erin looked at the two other nova's who were in stasis and shook her head slightly. "You can question them, but Miles there believes wholeheartedly in the purpose of preventing and control nova reproduction, he will appose you any way he can, and Garth is insane, he can be directed in a way, but the only one he listens to his brother, Miles."

That idea again. Still, here and now wasn't the place to argue about how stupid that idea was, literally painting a bullseye on their chests in making themselves a public group. If and when they had to go onto the grid, better to seem disjointed, relatively harmless, and surprise the Mother Hunters at least once or twice before they figured it out. Over this confusion, she managed a welcoming smile and stood up.

"It's agreed then," the young metamorph answered, "Let's see about getting you some cabins, and introducing you to Eric and Zia, our two other rescuees. No... Have you eaten since we've gotten back? That's more important."

'The girls and their mothers are staying with us on the Primus, everyone. How's things with interogating the prisoners and setting up the meeting with Rousieu?' she stated over the link for the benefit of all the siblings.

"Thanks for that, Erin," Butch said nodding. "I take it they won't be nearly as cooperative as you, huh? Any other info you can tell us about them would be appreciated. Anything you might have overheard them chatting about or other missions you know they've been part of. I'll take any pertinent info you can provide."

He hoped that his siblings would let him know if they sensed at Mindwave was lying at all, but quickly quashed any doubts he might have been harboring instead choosing to trust them. To Alex and Warren, he sent a mental note: Do we bother thawing the Brothers Dim or should we just turn them over to Rousseau? Time's getting tight and we'll have to meet with her soon-ish anyway. What do y'all think?

Warren kept his face expressionless and neutrally sent back to everyone, Mindwave was misled, misinformed, and has turned. The other two are Mr. Evil and Mr. Crazy. We need to figure out what to do with Project Pro Novas. Not just these two, the others I took to Earth2 as well. They're still on ice and available too.

"I can try to scan their minds, if you think it's important enough, but I never heard much from Gareth that made sense, but Miles did talk about assassination protocols, there might be something useful you can find out from him, I believe he has natural mind shields though, but a powerful enough telepath could break though them, I might be able to do so, but I'm not sure of it." Erin looked over the two of them a moment, then she looked back at Butch a moment, then at the others around them. "I can tell you that Proteus has begun operating in cells for projects like this, through cut outs, so that they can avoid compromising their entire network with events like this one."

"Please, it would be good to have a place to stretch our wings some too, eventually, but for now safety is more important." Angel responded, she was apparently something of the leader of this small group, for all that she glanced back at both of the mothers who nodded slightly.

Warren grimaced and said, "Meaning they don't know much, getting even that much would be serious hard, and what they do know won't go back up the ladder. I'll warm up the banishment machine."

"This reminds me of the joke about looking for your car keys were the light is good rather than where you lost them. Mindwave... let's try this a different way. Who do you think would know?"

Maia smiled. "As soon as we can make it so we will." She took the lead then and nodded. "If you'd follow me, I'll show you to the galley, and we can get you all a good meal, and then get you settled into your rooms."

She stopped. "Or I can show you your rooms, and then we can eat if you like."

"In any event, I'll fetch Eric and Mia to help me with the meal. It'll be basic, but there will be lots," she promised, chorus restoring to it's normal strangeness as she released her mask and returned to her relaxed state, grinning at the smiles of the younger girls. The young metamorph flitted off without another word, dragging the two previous recuees in her wake with the promise of food and new company once she found them, and busting out the requirements for a large plate of scrambled eggs soon as she arrived in the galley. When Maia followed, she'd have bacon duty. And, oh yes, first person after that could cut up the fruit. Coraline nodded in satisfaction with her 'grand scheme', filtering out the issues of the meeting with Madame Rousieu.

This was why she fought. This was what was important. When the poltics came to rest and the fate of nations were put aside, it was all about families and the hope that they'd have the peace and security required to have a meal together without having to look over one shoulder.

Marina walks into the galley, her new ice wings still out and seems to be holding up. The water elemental still is getting used to her new powers, but is taking it all rather well. She She looks over to Cora. "Need some help with the food, sis?" She said turning her hands into ice claws, ready to cut up some food, Edward Scissorhands style.

With breakfast, there was laughter and fun to be had with breakfast, which was extremely large, sense it was dealing with nova appetites after all, so there was plenty of food to be had for everyone, including those who had been visiting the moon earlier, though Erin/Mindwave avoided the others out of sense of guilt as much as anything else. At the same time, when you all went to speak with Sophia, it seems that matters had worked very well, as luck would have it you all hit the hardest of the locations, with the most going on, but all of them had been removed. Of course, when dealing with Sophia Rousseau, luck was almost always on your side, even when it wasn't.

Eric and Zia had been excited to meet the new arrivals and soon appeared to be making good friends with the younger girl Thorn, and before long the five children had taken off to a training and play room, filled with all kinds of stuff for them to occupy their minds. Erin/Mindwave did indeed, follow Butch's suggestion and join with the Abberant faction, telling them everything she knew, and making sure that Butch knew he could call on her at any time in the future.

Over all, this entire situation may not have ended up exactly as desired, but it had turned out mostly satisfactory, and they know had gained a good deal more then they had going into the matter...

End of Thread:

All Participants: 4 Standard, 4 Baseline, 4 Nova XP

Archived