Official OOC thread

Wyrd

I think for me, the big problem is that she has no concept of how to operate in this urban environment, and is simply refusing to listen to the reasons why this is bad... so she doesn't seem to have any positive benefits in a team, or so it currently appears.

Not to show favoritism, but she is far from the only young person running the shadows. A lot of people get into it in their early teens, usually by force--such as their parents being killed off. I've read published SR novels where one or more characters was that young, and involved because they didn't have a lot of choice.

Essa's case is not as clear cut, especially to people who don't know her well yet, but her apparent status as a shapeshifter makes getting any kind of life that doesn't involve being kidnapped and experimented on by the corps rather difficult.

The problem isn't the age as such - though I hold to most runners having an issue with it on the surface they could be talked around it - it's her behaviour. If ANY runner acted like that they'd be in bother. Most likely they'd get strong words and/or a slapping from someone and told to behave or piss off. But a kid does that and the response is 'send 'em back home before they get us killed'. And it's not like we'll get an impassioned speech about how she has nowhere else to go and she really wants to prove herself. She can just bound off into the wilds and take care of her wolf pups. I get the impression Essa's self-sufficient.

When runners meet it's a very important time because runners don't trust easily or naturally. They're all deniable, disposable assets to the people hiring them (often with heavy emphasis on disposable) and they know it. Having trust in your fellow runners (or as much as you'll allow) is paramount.

Really I need an IC explanation for her from Asa at this point. I know you want to get on with the run but this is too big a stumbling block.

The easiest way around this I see is Asa convinces Jeremy and the two convince Magnun. Obviously it would be ideal for Essa to handle it herself... but she has extremely poor communication skills and doesn't seem to understand what's going on or why it's a problem.

Well -not that I have much to say as I don't have any character involved in the matter right now - mediator as i am,Trolls puberty is at around 9, and maturity between 11 and 15. So at 14 Essa is well into being a mature Troll, even if still feral from being raised by wolves. She should be fully grown. So even if still too young if you'd ask me, this age shouldn't be an issue to being a shadowrunner. I guess what everyone is asking is a good motive why Essa is/wants to be/is made to be a shadowrunner. I'm sure that even with little vocabulary, Essa should be able to communicate why she chose to do so.

Jaleena, I agree that the meeting is the biggest stumbling block here. Seeing her in action should help display what she has to offer directly to the team, and Jeremy and Atasaya were both told why the Johnson's are interested in cultivating her as an asset. As that post was one that caused a lot of friction and had people focusing on certain aspects of it, I'll sum up here: she has connections to the sapient paracritters around Denver, none of which currently have any legal status. It is perfectly legal to hunt centaurs and dire wolves, for example. Stupid, but legal. This means that the only way for them to connect to the cities is with a person they trust as a go-between, as most of the corporations are more than happy to just send military squads after whatever they want. Over the next decade, some of these races get the potential for citizenship in some countries, but it is a slow process and not universally accepted by any means.

Essa's personal reasons for being a shadowrunner instead of trying for a less dangerous profession are, well, personal, and therefore something I'm not comfortable saying about her OOC, until she has the chance to reveal it IC. Being raised as a predator does have its place in her reasons, though.

For the record - she goes along with just about anything anyone asks of her - like putting in the earbuds - it's just vehicles that are a sticking point for her. She has backstory reasons for this but right now she can't really talk about it [mostly repressed memories]. You ask her to do just about anything else and she'll follow along - but the 'metal monster' is something she only associates with pain and death - so she's not going to compromise until someone has time to sit down with her about it.

Look - if this is too much of an issue - just have someone tell her to 'go home' and I'll write her out. I don't want this to be a problem. I think she'll be fun to play and the interactions could be fun - but it's not worth player stress. If you don't want to give her a chance to prove herself - so be it. She's honestly fairly deadly and cunning - she's been living in the wilds for most of her life, but if she isn't trusted the run won't work. Just give me a post to work off of and I'll write her out. Right now she has no reason to leave.

All I'm saying is we need to cover it IC, rather than jump ahead to being on the run which is the current situation. I was figuring we'd sort it out at Magnun's lockup and then get runnin'. What I'm proposing is Wyrd changes his last mod post to get us to the lockup and we finish this up there. Or alter it to include whatever Asa wants to say about Essa. That would be the fastest. Asa writes out what he'll say and Wyrd can include that in the mod post to get things moving. Otherwise we can RP it out for the three or four posts it'll prolly take.

I was mentally wondering about troll maturity. I know Orcs mature quite fast (and die quite young). I thought trolls were the other way round.

Trolls mature the fastest and die the fastest of the meta-races. Orcs are much more likely to have multiple births than any other race, but a lot more of them don't reach maturity or have children of their own, due to an aggressiveness less inherent to trolls(no matter what the media says). Trolls also remain capable of reproduction for almost their entire life span, save only before puberty and the last few years of their life.

An interesting trait of Troll life is that children born trolls seem to age slower than those who underwent goblinization, but even with those who goblinized troll life expectancy seems to be climbing. Some scientists speculate that they need a higher level of magic to function properly, others that it is the advancement of medical care and knowledge of troll biology responsible.

I am willing to stop you instead at Jaleena's place if that works better for the players. Any opinions?

• 2 weeks later...

I have enough people with submitted characters that I can start another group if people are interested. Obidancer, Deckard, Krul, and Adrian have all expressed interest in joining, though Adrian hasn't submitted a character yet. Are you interested in forming a second group, or would you rather wait for the end of the current run and expand the current group?

Any of you who were in the original second group and chose not to post for some reason but still want to play may join this group as well. I'm not really certain what happened there, as I gave an intro to people who had all expressed interest in continuing to play, an intro to which I never got a single response, nor have I received pm's from these people or responses to my pm's.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for my absence. I've been in a bit of a funk lately from a combination of bad health and losing my psychiatrist(he left his practice with no notice to his patients or to his employers) and not having a replacement for him until last week. I've got new meds and am in the process of adjusting to them.

If I had tried to post in the last few weeks, it would have been hard to not just have an RFED moment, so I thought it was better not to post.

Archived