Netflix

Forge

When it comes right down to it I'd like to think that the uproar isn't so much about the amount of the price change in absolute terms but because of the amount in relative terms, i.e. percents. At the upper end of their plans $2 or 3 a month isn't a big deal but 10-15% or more seems a bit steep given the economy.

At the low end a change of +60% is pretty outrageous. Imagine if you went to the grocery store and saw that a Gallon of milk had gone from $3 a gallon to $5.40 a gallon ... If you went to see a movie and instead of an $8 ticket it was nearly $14? Just like that.

I'd like to believe that ... but that probably isn't the case. Sadly most people are probably complaining about the Starbucks nonfat Mocha double venti latte caramel swirl that they will have to give up to keep their netflix.

Actually, the real issue is that Netflix has deals with the various studios allowing them to offer download items for next to nothing. Those deals are coming to an end. And now Netlfix is going to have to offer somewhere around TEN times the payments to the studios that they've had to.

Folks really seem to HATE the idea of having to pay for something they have to download. Like it isn't real and shouldn't need real money.

It's basically talking about "White People Problems" and real problems. Problems like a Netflix price increase or lines at Starbucks compared to problems like "I haven't had clean water ever" or "The rebels came into my village and took my son away after raping me."

Originally Posted By: VileBill
It's basically talking about "White People Problems" and real problems. Problems like a Netflix price increase or lines at Starbucks compared to problems like "I haven't had clean water ever" or "The rebels came into my village and took my son away after raping me."

Perhaps I should have stuck with the more PC term "first world problems." But yeah, that's exactly it. Almost word for word from the Louis CK standup, too - you a fan as well, VB?

Exactly, its got nothing to do with race, it's economic. Same thing as Chris Rock's routine about people in Africa never being Lactose intolerant and eating red meat. And with that I completely agree, I just thought it was unnecessary to throw in the White word.

Factually, it's generally upper middle class white folk who tend to complain that their latte isn't mixed right or video games are too violent, want to rage on about how a $2.00 increase in price is astronomical but will still make sure they have $200 shoes or spend $5,000 to get their four year old into a beauty pageant for which the prize money is $1,000.

White people also tend to point out that non PC terms like 'White People's Problems' are excessive and unnecessary. Usually because they can't 1) realize that regardless of the terminology, it's true, and 2) it's so true it's funny and hence a joke despite being how sad and pathetic it really is.

Louis CK is right, and people tent to think that because it comes from a comedian on a stage that it's less true and more funny. Fact is: it's the truth. All they're doing is delivering it to you with a bow on it because damn it, you sure as hell wouldn't let me sit the nation down and tell them how pathetic our cultures act and actually be serious about it...

... that'd be just plain unnecessary.

Let's not draw any attention to issues like these... they'll go away on their own if we ignore them, right?

Edited: Never mind. I don't want to have this kind of discussion here where I come to get away from the BS of the real world. We disagree and I'm not going to convince anyone of anything so there's no point. I happen to think racial division/prejudice is a bad thing, and perpetuating it is never a good thing regardless of 'funny' or serious.

Archived