Aberrant: Children of Quantum Fire - [CoQF] Finding Direction [1.1]

Epiphany hadn't intended to speak again so soon, but with the question opened, "I am in favor of saving and protecting second generation novas, even the ones who arn't like us. As long as they arn't an intrinsic threat to the world. As for safe havens, I might have a secondary option when there's some time to warp there and double check it's still viable." With that Pip fell silent again, she wasn't ready to say more at the moment. But since they were all in the room, it was easy enough to reestablish the psychic network. Small tendrils of thought, softer than cob webs settled out across the group. As long as no one resisted the link, Epiphany continued laying the foundation. Once they were all established, the network settled with a snap and brief hum of mental energy.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"The sub will take some time and resources to make," Alex replied. "At least, if we go full bore with the works, like in my schematics. We could cut down the time if we settled for less, but this won't be the kind of thing we can easily add onto later...so ditching features should be done with care."

"As for where I stand...we're going to need to leave Earth eventually. That's just human nature on both sides of the gap. However, getting things in position to leave Earth is a fairly long term proposition which means we have to be prepared to make the best of things here while those things fall into place."

"We're going to need friends, resources, and a power base. I think our best bet for friends would be to rescue and recruit other second-generation novas. We can recruit others too, once we have some idea of what we stand for. Resources is easier. There's lots of ways to get money. I've already got a pretty fat numbered account myself. For resources that money can't buy, we can get them as we need them. Our power base is basically translated as 'why people don't gang up on us and kill us.' It could be diplomatic...or militeristic...or any number of approaches that we should think about and let guide our decisions in the next few years."

Maia didn't say a word, instead watching her siblings. She wasn't the smartest, and some of what the others were knocking about made little sense to her. She didn't like the ideas of purely operating from the shadows, It lacked an air of legitimacy.

Coraline, on the other hand, had absolutely no problem with operating entirely from the shadows. The longer they could stay there, the better.

"So what's the first practical steps, then? Talk to whoever we can trust to give us a few pointers in how to survive, get resources, and find the others," she began with an incline of her head towards Uncle Shen and his contacts, "and then regroup to see what you braintrust come up with before moving onto the action phase of the plan?"

She didn't sound particularly enthusiastic about that next step, but was resigned to it happening.

Warren said, "Slight quibble. I'm all in favor of finding and protecting others like us, and I'm not in favor of fleeing the planet right now."

Warren added with a smile, "The world is interesting and useful. But I think we'll need other worlds before this is over, and they could take some time to locate and set up."

Butch was glad that Warren seemed amenable to the idea most of the others were leaning towards. He was less enthused by all the waiting around that Cora seemed to imply. There were ways to reduce that though, Butch thought.

"Cora," Butch said, "I think we contact people to find out information on helping out other nova kids. Finding out information on how to survive is useful, and I'm sure we can pick up some pointers here and there, but I don't think it's a priority unless we're getting evicted from the island and I didn't know about it. I mean, we've been surviving here pretty well thanks to Traveler and each other. Of course things change, but finding one or two 2nd generation novas for now probably won't put us under super serious threat immediately if we're careful. And the resource issue seems to be more of an ongoing concern rather than a let's-all-sit-and-wait-around-until-the-bank-account-grows-before-we-act thing. The whole sitting and waiting thing is dangerous in its own way. I'm not saying we go charging out into the world without a plan, but there's also the danger of too much planning and waiting and then novas like us in need get capped in the meantime. We can handle a few more novas for now if we put them up here or somewhere only we have access to." He shrugged. "Maybe we help them and they don't want to join up right away so we find them a safe spot until they do and have an ally down the road. Either way we help someone in need sooner rather than later and make a friend hopefully."

Butch looked at the others, "It seemed as if a lot of y'all were more interested in contacting the Aberrants, yeah? Made sense to me, too. Maybe we focus our attention on them now for help with finding a 2nd gen or two and then think about other groups down the road a ways. If we find a candidate that doesn't want to join up with us, then the Aberrants might be the best group other than us to ferry them to. Are we all good with that?"

Traveler looked between them as they discussed, then he leaned forward slightly to speak. "From your reactions and discussion, there are several things you want to do, some of you want to make a stand, some of you want to find another place to protect those you can rescue, and some of you want to prepare another planet for habitation." He opened his hands. "Why do only one, your numbers are enough to do all of them, and in this case, it may lead to difficulties, but it would be better for everyone if you do so."

"If you all will indulge me a moment, at the moment you a family, a core for a group that will shape things to come for many years... Each of you individually could do remarkable things, together, I see little that can stop you. Why not separate into several groups each of you with a particular goal, and then work together when necessary. On a side note, Alex, as you build this ship, I have a suggestion, make it spaceworthy as well as waterworthy, a submarine that can become a spaceship and leave earth could come in handy."

"Not practical," Alex demurred. "A long-term space habitat is a -completely- different set of engineering challenges. Plus, the spaceship will have to be built in orbit. Energy cost of launching from Earth is absolutely ludicrous. I've considered airframe designs, but building it to be aerodynamic makes it hopelessly inefficient as a spaceframe. Too many competing, mutually exclusive design priorities."

"Now, if working with Warren helps me crack artificial gravity...things change radically...but I'm not going to assume that will happen. Novas break physical law. Not everything they do can be replicated with technology."

"Anyway, my plan is to consolidate our position on Earth by recruiting and gaining allies, while making all necessary preparations for leaving Earth in the future. I dunno if this sank in the first time so I'll say it again. Leaving Earth is a long term goal. Developing the technologies, finding the destination, completing the design, acquiring the manufacturing ability and finally putting the damn thing together will take years to do, and that's if I don't take any vacations. So the plans we make NOW should be about what we're going to do here in the meantime."

Epiphany watched and listened. She knew a little about space and travel in it, though as a nova, not via technology. She knew of places they could go, but not for those who couldn't survive and travel in space. Besides, she wasn't sure that was information she wanted to share. It wasn't that she didn't trust them, but Pip knew all too well how easy it was to get into the minds of others and there are some secrets best kept in as few thoughts as possible.

She was a bit upset that the others had so quickly abandoned the idea of working in secret for a while to build up their experience, strength and reputation. But she would accept the decision. It wasn't of significant importance, it just seemed a more tactical approach to going out into the world. She didn't know much of anything about the Aberrants, though, beyond their public face and that worried her a bit. Maybe she would do some investigating on her own before they got too deeply in bed with that group.

Originally Posted By: Butch_Cole
...I mean, we've been surviving here pretty well thanks to Traveler and each other. Of course things change, but finding one or two 2nd generation novas for now probably won't put us under super serious threat immediately if we're careful.
Warren commented, "Go public on our location and inside a week we'll have a team of elites here. If we're unlucky they'll be waiting on the other side of our escape warp too."

Originally Posted By: SalmonMax
"Not practical," Alex demurred. "A long-term space habitat is a -completely- different set of engineering challenges. Plus, the spaceship will have to be built in orbit...
Somewhat disappointed, Warren said, "Alex, a spaceship would be great, but why bother? I'm a seriously strong warper, why do we need to bother with a ship if it's going to delay things?"

The problem with disagreeing with Alex was she was smarter than you were.

"Did I say we go public about the island?" Butch asked. He continued, "Warren, I'm not saying we start shipping out brochures announcing vacations or giving tours of the damn place. That's why I also said we need to be careful. Don't start getting all panicky and scaring everyone into not acting at all. I think we all need to chill a little when it comes to that. Yeah, the world's out to get us. We get it. We're also not fools. We all grew up on the run and I don't think any of us is gonna jump out unprepared. We've got some great minds here and I know they're not gonna let that happen if there's a threat of that even happening. When we act, we act within reason. So let's get a plan together. Within reason. That actually gets somewhere."

He slouched in his chair hoping for some progress.

"A few reasons," Alex said to Warren. "First of which, you can die...be in a coma...change your mind at the last second, whatever. Plus, who knows if we'll have the same powers after this apotheosis as we do now? Don't worry, I still need your help. I'm hoping if I study your wormholes, there might be something you're doing I can replicate using exotic matter. My goal is to make a ship that can carry a viable population for an extended period of time...but can still move between stars at faster than light speeds. That arrangement gives us the best odds of success. If we just jump straight to the first planet that looks habitable, then we're at the mercy of whatever's there. If we have a ship, we can jump to that star, orbit the planet. Observe it. Probe it. Analyze it. Make sure there's no surprises. If it doesn't work out, we can jump to another star and start again. All the while safe from interference and distraction."

She shrugged. "And you know, it's just how my brain works. Want to visit another world? Build a ship. I'm a builder. I've no objection if you want to warp straight there with some people. Just do it after I'm done with you, alright? Just in case." She grinned.

Oz had started typing into a small computer he had with him as the talk of space travel gave him a few experiment ideas to try later that could possibly be of use. He didn’t seem to be looking at the screen as he typed and carried on the conversation as though it was the only thing on his mind.

“I-am-all-for-splitting-the-group-I-would-love-to-head-out-and-save-some-novas-but-if-we-want-to-stay-under-the-radar-it-would-be-easier-with-a-smaller-group-so-I-will-be-happy-to-offer-my-skills-if-injuries-need-healing-or-if-holes-need-patching-up-and-to-have-the-kettle-on.. Just-avoid-the-injury-bit-ok.”

He would love to go out on rescue missions, especially if their was a shot at revenge but logically he knew he would be of greater help staying back at base to deal with any incoming wounded, he definitely didn’t think he would have the composure to be a battlefield medic. Not that he thought his siblings couldn’t handle themselves… you just never knew for sure.

Marina seems a little skeptical at the idea of splitting the group up

"So a group stays behind here and holds down the fort while another acts as the away team and gets stuff done on the outside? If we're going to do that, I think that the latter should be left to the more stealthy members of the family. As they might run less of a risk of getting caught"

She then faces Alex

"Question Alex. Any of the plans you have for a spaceship built for long term? Outer Space is...well...massive. We might have to stay aboard it for years."

Alex lifts her eyebrows a little.

"All of the plans are for long term...that's what I've been saying. That's why it can't be a submarine too. And why it has to be built in orbit. And...you know, everything I've been talking about for the past twenty minutes. It's not going to just be a space shuttle. It's an ark. A colonization ship. And if I can't get Warren's warp thing to work, it may have to sustain us for generations."

"Though if it gets that bad, I have a contingency plan."

Coraline rolled her eyes and sighed in her chorus of voices, adding almost hopelessly in antisipation of the squable to come, "Short term though, we talk to those who have been fighting Utopia and the Motherhunters first hand, preferably through safe contacts arranged by Uncle Shen if possible. No promises of alliance to anyone, just fishing for info. *Then* we make a plan based on that info so we know what is possible."

"At least that's what I'd like to do to keep this family safe."

Warren nodded in agreement with Butch's statement. This was a high stakes game and someone needed to say what he had.

At Alex's statement Warren grumbled, "Single point of failure plans. OK, point taken, I wasn't really considering my own death. But just to throw a number out, there are billions of planets within reach right now. A star ship is a sure thing, but I like my odds of finding something useful. Picture exiling some mother-hunter to some dinosaur filled pre-earth."

"Yeah, but finding those planets and locating them precisely enough for you to open a warp is a problem," Alexandra points out. "Right now the tech to locate Earth-size terrestrial planets is barely in its infancy. I have ideas for a huge phased array telescope that should be able to resolve small rockball planets in visible and infrared spectums from light-years away, but it's down the list of priorities for now."

"We need to focus on securing our position on Earth first."

Warren held up a finger to make a point. He'd spent a lot of time thinking about this and maybe it'd work. He said, "Yes, it'd be a massive time sink. And yes, we don't have that time. However... pick a star. Either there are interesting planets there or there aren't. On my own I could spend lots of hours finding out. But either it's there or it isn't. The search would be hard, but all we care about is the results."

Warren looked at Uncle Shen and suggested hopefully, "Isn't that something a pre-cog could just look up and check?"

"Yes Warren it is.. though the farther you go, the less likely anyone will find you before you want to be be found, outside of the galaxy will the least likely to be found for centuries.. I need some guidelines of where you want me to look. Also, Alex, the powers you have now will always be yours, outside of someone else using their powers to temporarily borrow or replicate them."

"It's not that easy Warren," Alex replied irritably. "First 'pick a star' limits us to the two thousand-odd star that you can see with the naked eye from Earth. Switch hemispheres to double it, it's still a tiny, teeny fraction of total possible. Second, most stars are trash. They're too old or too young, or are binary or trinary, and have no chance...at all...of having a habitable planet. Third, when you jump to a star, you'll find yourself in deep space, looking at the star. You'll have no idea where the planets are...and basically no way to find them. Even if you have nova eyes that can zoom way in like a telescope, you'd still have no idea what direction to look in or how far to zoom."

She takes a deep breath. "Would you guys just leave the space stuff to me? For now? I promise, once I get the complicated stuff taken care of I'll bring you guys in."

Darrik started rubbing the bridge of his nose. "I think this preoccupation with space travel is getting out of hand." He chose not to directly name names. "The point is, this is not a worthwhile venture for the now and immediate. I'd prefer people focusing their attention on what is going on in this world. Let Alex toil on it if she wishes, the rest of us have more current goals to work on."

"Now Uncle Shen, you can get us meetings with Aberrant contacts on our terms?"

"I can, in fact, I can get you a private discussion with a number of folks with different allegiances. They tend to prefer to work behind the scenes, but, I can get you a private discussion with Sophia Rousseau if you like." Sense Sophia was the most powerful of the Aberrant's, and arguably one of the most powerful nova's on the planet, she was likely the best one to talk to regarding the Abberant faction.

"However, let's see if I have the way of things right here.. Darrik, Maia, Oz, Marina, Butch and Cora want to meet with folks outside, and start working there. Alex, Warren, Jeffery and Epiphany want to start working on an secondary sanctuary, and looking beyond earth. And all of you want to start a group to rescue 2nd generation novas."

"Unless anyone has specific reasons we should exclude them, we should include a Terat in our questions," added Coraline softly, with an apoligetic but firm expression for Pip "They have more experience surviving the wrath of Utopia than anyone, even if the rumors of them having 2nd Generation Novas of their own is wrong. And we're looking for 2nd Generation Novas."

*Pip, mind coming outside for a moment? And don't say anything.* Darrik let the message privately going across the mental link to Pip before he stood up and shot Cora a frustrated scowl. "Can you excuse Pip and I for a little bit?" Then he got up, gesturing to the door for Pip.

Epiphany almost mentioned that if they were to get in contact with the Teragen contacts, they might as well explore Utopia contacts. It wasn't like both didn't have motherhunters out in the world. But she was stopped by Darrik's mental whisper before she could open her mouth. With a nod she stood up and preceded him out of the room.

Darrik followed her, closing the door behind them. He didn't bother with opening his mouth, and was thankful that Pip hadn't made a scene. *I'm sorry Cora is acting this way. Being isolated all of her life and when the only real contact with baselines she's had other than our aunt has been with mother-hunters... She doesn't realize that the other extreme is equally dangerous.

What if I promise you that I, and only I, meet just once with a Terat contact. No support, no alliance, nothing. And in return, I'll strip them free of whatever information they have that we'd want to know. Bleeding them dry, that acceptable?*

"No support is dangerous. And as much as I might trust you, I don't trust them to deal honestly. Even if Traveler's contact is trustworthy, I doubt you can get anything without giving something in return. I don't like the idea of even talking to a contact, but I won't stop anyone if that's what is decided is best, as long as precautions are taken."

"No one else seems to recognize just how evil they are and have been. But I don't know that the other groups are better, I just don't have experience with them. I wish people weren't as quick to jump in with other groups and throw our anonymity out the window. But I'll accept what the group decides. I'll just be sure to be there to help save our people and clean up the mess when it is needed." Epiphany's mouth a tight line as she responds. She's holding on to her mind by shear will, but this conversation kept tickling the horror in her memories.

Warren clearly disagreed with Alex about how hard the project would be and what resources they could already bring to bear... but he conceded the point and let it drop. They had other things to talk about and he'd largely done what he set out to do.

"Coraline, we probably shouldn't be ready to toss our hat in any particular ring yet. Hell we might even want to think about getting some contacts with DeVries. After all, they hate Utopia just as bad as Teragen. And have the resources, the power and the manpower to be a viable option. I'm sure a few of you might disagree, but it is a viable option."

Marina said in a calm tone.

'No objection if it's someone Uncle Shen says we can trust to not shoot us on sight. Also, for the last time, I'm not talking about 'throwing in' with *anyone*. I'm talking about asking for pointers from people who have been fighting Utopia and the Motherhunters and survived so we know what we could do to do the same. If we want to. As a group descion if and when we start opposing the Motherhunters and their Baseline employers. That's it.'

Her mental voice, transmitted to everyone in the room, was tinged with just the slightest hint of frustration. Just a touch.

"You guys do realize that the so-called 'mother hunters' aren't just the Directive and Utopia, right?" Alexandra points out. "Everyone has a stake in nova babies. Teragen too. Just saying, no one's innocent here. If and when we meet these other factions, we really ought to be doing it from a position of strength. That's all I have to say."

*I understand your feelings and agree to a good extent about the Teragen. Nonetheless, I doubt they are going to make too much demands of someone expressing interest. It's not like the Null Manifesto allows the Teragen to force any nova to think or act a certain way...

And to be honest, true anonymity is only going to be achieved while we sit on this island. Your plan doesn't take into account what happens if we are caught in the process of our work. Trust me, older and wiser allies will be needed.*

"Their words and their actions don't always mesh. You could be correct in that they will behave while they think there's the possibility of us joining them. But talking to them means letting them know we exist. If we then don't join them . . . they don't always hold to their ideas and will resort to force if they feel they need to."

"And yes, as so as we are out in the world doing things, people will begin to notice us. I understand that. I merely was offering a suggestion that might keep us safe in the short term while accomplishing other goals. And actually, I do have thoughts on what happens if we are caught in the process. But no one bothered to inquire. Mostly the plans are the same as if we were caught in the process when we arn't trying to be anonymous. There is an extent to which the different groups not talking to each other would help us stay under the radar. But no, I never thought it was a long term plan. But if we can make just three or four runs without people knowing who we are, that's experience we have working together before we are in anyone's cross-hairs."

"It doesn't matter. Everyone has decided to jump feet first into the boiling water." Epiphany was upset and having a hard time keeping her thoughts clear of flashbacks. She didn't mean to snap at Darrik, but the stress of the situation was getting the better of her.

*That's your stress talking, Pip. Attacking Bahrain would be that. All we're doing is simply sounding out a couple of contacts before making more plans. Anyway, I think you could use some cool-off time. Why don't you come back in when you're feeling calmer?*

Darrik turned and opened the door, slipping through to the other side before closing the door. "Now then," he richly announced, "are there any other groups than the Aberrants that we have a consensus on meeting with?"

Archived