Aberrant RPG - Mega-Stamina and Soak

Solas

Hi everyone. Another little rules clarification I'm seeking this time (I'm building a list, btw...j/k. smile )

The essential problem is whether the extra health levels and damage penalty reductions from Mega-Stamina are cumulative rather than incremental. I've been reading it as cumulative, but as someone pointed out to me, it'd make a lot of novas vastly more tougher than they should be. Does anyone have a clarification out there, or are there house rules in play as well? Again, any help greatly appreciated.

S.

The way I believe it works

Stamina 1= Bashing/Lethal soak of 1/0

Stamina 2= 2/1

Stamina 3= 3/1

Stamina 4= 4/2

Stamina 5= 5/2

MegaStamina 1= Bashing/Lethal soak in addition to normal soak of +1/1

MegaStamina 2= +2/1 + One additional Bruised Health Level

MegaStamina 3= +3/2 Health Levels= 1 Addtional Bruised Health Level Total

MegaStamina 4= +4/2 + One additional Bruised Health level for a total of 2 Additional.

megaStamina 5= +5/3 + One addtional Bruised Health level for a total of 3 addtional.

So, Stamina 5/MegaStamina 5= 10/5 + 3 Addtional Bruised Health Levels.

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Craft:
I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to be cumulative.
The Mega stamina soak is added to what then? It is noted as a plus...

So it should be read as what james posted, which is not the cumulative adds that Solas was asking about. Cumulative would be....

Stamina 5 Mega Stam 5= 30 bashing 15 Lethal 4 extra bruised health levels. This way, with all the soak, is seemingly wrong. That is the cumulative totals. :rolleyes:

You could always tweak it if you want lethality to be different. I don't think making the adds culmulative would break mega stamina, but then I really don't know. Never tried.

I have done a couple of Adventure games where I bumped health levels. I don't think it's overtly destroyed the balance of the game (Plus, it gives me a little more room for error not turning totally lethal).

The adds as cumulative completely shoot the system down, actually. There was a nice guideline from the XWF sourcebook in how they broke down their championships, and it's oddly applicable for matching up your brick types.

Silver Circle-Those who can't take/inflict more than 15 levels of damage with an attack.

Red Circle-15-20 levels.

Black Circle-20+ levels.

Cumulative adds make it unbalanced.

Quote:
Kane Knight: You could always tweak it if you want lethality to be different. I don't think making the adds culmulative would break mega stamina, but then I really don't know.
It does.

M-Stamina 5 => +15/9 soak.

That's saying 5 dots of Stamina gives the soak of 4 dots of Armor, on top of everything else.

Said character had to have a 5 stamina (Q=4). Stick 5 dots of Eufiber on that, and a forcefield and his soak is above 40.

If his enhancement was "Res." and he pays a point of willpower on his forcefield roll then he averages a 50 soak, for 18 nova points.

sry, but that sounds rather 'twinky,' not to mention quite costly…

a character should [based on my personal exp and opinion] have soak values, and traits in general, that reflect character history and their eruption circustances.

thusly, you wouldn't have a character that was an accountant and be 'Captain Indestructable' with an exemplary soak value. though if you were creating some XWF Warlord [which seems to fit more w/what you are all talkin' 'bout], give them some heavy Sta, MSta [Resiliency], and probably some Armor, and Invulnerability [to whatever works].

if you were to Max. all of those values, you would get 30B/23L without ANY Qpoints, and when you add in the Inv. [whatever] you would end up with 60B/53L with NO Qpoints!

all of that would be without any OTHER damage reductions [ie.: Density Decrease, Force Field, etc.] that even require Qpoints… throw any of those in, and you can rest asurred that your character is ONLY gonna die of old age.

so that would be my take on the twink-tasticness of it all, but i was basing it on the d10 system, so if the rant was in vain… my bad… sry

okay then... my bad, but i'm still not totally sure as to what you mean when you say that the:

"Accumulative M-Stam bonus is broken."

so if you could enlighten me, i'd be much abliged.

is it based on the XWF class system listed off by Solas? or something i missed [not having any sourcebooks aside from the soft-cover d10 version]

Kane....not sure what you mean here? I just thought the XWF Championships gave me personally a nice guide how to divide low, medium, and high-range 'brick' novas. I'm not saying that the system isn't flawed (what one isn't?) but I found this just a good guide. I don't think any system is broken unless you want to treat it that way. My players and I are finding things as we go and fixing them as we do, also. The player who brought this to my attention had the most to lose as our preeminent brick and competitor in the XWF as it is...

Quote:
Originally posted by David 'Dr. Troll' Smith:
Quote:
Kane Knight: You could always tweak it if you want lethality to be different. I don't think making the adds culmulative would break mega stamina, but then I really don't know.
It does.

M-Stamina 5 => +15/9 soak.

That's saying 5 dots of Stamina gives the soak of 4 dots of Armor, on top of everything else.

Said character had to have a 5 stamina (Q=4). Stick 5 dots of Eufiber on that, and a forcefield and his soak is above 40.

If his enhancement was "Res." and he pays a point of willpower on his forcefield roll then he averages a 50 soak, for 18 nova points.
How did he get 4 pts of Quantum total, 5 levels of Mega Stamina, and the 1 level min for Forcefield for only 18 NP?

Quote:
Kane Knight:How did he get 4 pts of Quantum total, 5 levels of Mega Stamina, and the 1 level min for Forcefield for only 18 NP?
Way #1:
With -6 in flaws it is possible to stuff +3Q into bonus points.

15 nova points for +5 M-Stam.
03 nova points for +1 FF.
Total 18 and he has no taint.

Way #2:
+2 Q in bonus (total Q=3).
Nova points:
03 nova points for +1 Q (total 4) (tainted)
12 nova points for +5 M-Stam (3 tainted)
03 nova points for +1 FF.
Total 18 with a taint of 4...

...although if you have to go this route I'd just pay 23 points and get everything without taint.

Archived