Aberrant: Children of Quantum Fire - [Children of Quantum Fire] Finding Balance [1.0]

"The conflict isn't biological," Alex opined. "It's idealogical. Taint is just a word we use because 'less human' squicks us out. Teragen's philosophy is that becoming less human is exactly what novas SHOULD do...are in fact divinely mandated to do, and anything stopping them from pursuing that goal is either to be ignored...or destroyed."

She lifted her right hand and held it palm up. "Then you have Utopia, who says that novas are, basically, human, and need to be able to function in human society. The preservation of human society, with novas integrated into it, is Utopia's driving goal."

"Unless one side or the other backs down, outright war is all but inevitable. And in this case, they won't back down. Each is too certain that they're right. And each side is the other side's worst fear."

Alex shook her head. "Pax getting his butt kicked will just encourage the Teragen. They've always feared him. Even if all the known data suggested Mal was more powerful, there's always been this kind of...theological equivalence they've had, like God and the Devil. You might believe God can whip the Devil...but you're never quite SURE, and that makes the Devil scary."

"Now the smart Teragen still know Pax is powerful, but that superstitious dread is gone. Life's getting a lot more =interesting= for Team Tomorrow right now, I bet."

"And sooner or later, some Teragen knuckleknob will take things too far."

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Darrik sighed quietly, though his expression made it clear he wasn't going to disagree with Alex. "It's all that, yes, but the reason we worry about Utopia, why the Terats appeal to many, is that there is some truth to their words and furthermore, Utopia's vision is more of novas being there when humanity needs help 24/7. In the end, the fundamental right to live our own lives and have families, is not only looked down upon, but is considered dangerous, only leading to bad ends. On the other hand, our own existence as novas that cannot acquire taint beyond what we came into life with is evidence that the Teragen is wrong. And I've always considered it hard to believe that the Null Manifesto isn't a ticket to anarchy in the end. We aren't going to fit in with either side of the battle as they would like... but the Terats are NOT for us."

Alex shrugged. "I'm not going to argue the cases. I will say that Utopia is a conservative agenda...and therefore doesn't like new things much. Teragen is a radical agenda, but it's also a dogmatic one...and doesn't like what doesn't fit into its views."

"So yeah. We're on the sidelines with pompoms in this one."

Originally Posted By: Courier
Warren sent back warmly, 'Those sorts of warps are harder, but probably not too hard... as long as we're talking somewhere on the Earth. What's up Pip? Did you have something specific in mind?'

Epiphany couldn't help but grin with the irony, "Well . . . actually, I was thinking of somewhere Not on Earth. The moon specifically. I just feel like there might come a point when we need to be able to escape to an unknown bolt-hole. And I know one that would work. It's an air-tight cave on the moon that . . . long story short, it's a living quarters that can be equipped with an air pump for people who can't survive vacuum. If we went ahead and got it ready, just as a last resort kind of thing . . . well, it'd be there if we needed it. Do you think anyone will want olive loaf?"

As she 'spoke' with Warren, Pip continued packing the picnic lunch. She didn't want to think about inviting everyone up to the moon. She didn't want to have them trampling on the memories there. But Epiphany was pragmatic and knew it would be a good place to go if they had to cut and run in a hurry. So she put the question to Warren, but kept herself distracted with food preparation while she did.

Warren stared off into the distance but nodded his agreement with both Darrik and Alex and muttered, "Yeah."

Warren sent back with a mental smile, I see great minds think alike. I love the idea as a stop gap and the moon still counts as close. Ideally we'd set up an Earth2 as a bolt hole, plunk it down five hundred or more light years out and there's no way we could be followed.

'Let's go then. Perhaps we can find an interesting something for Maia to help bring back to my rooms for me to base my next project on,' concurred the young metamorph with a mental chuckle over the link and streaked down into the depths with a kick of her fluke and stroke of her arms, a grey blur heading into the darkness below and smiling with the fact her sisters were following.

Tommorow, even a few hours from now, she'd worry about their potential transformations and the evil that would bring on her family. For now, she'd simply enjoy the fact she had one.

Originally Posted By: Courier
Warren sent back with a mental smile, I see great minds think alike. I love the idea as a stop gap and the moon still counts as close. Ideally we'd set up an Earth2 as a bolt hole, plunk it down five hundred or more light years out and there's no way we could be followed.

"Have I been echoing again? I hate it when that happens, I'm never sure if it really was my idea or I just picked it up out of the air." Epiphany really didn't think she had been open enough to pick up stray thoughts, but she worried about it anyway.

"And Earth2 bolt hole is more like a retreat from the world. I'd rather stay where we can do some good for the people here, even if they don't appreciate us. I'd be most happy finding a way for us all to live together in harmony, but that's just a fantasy with the way the world is now. But yes, the moon is a good stop gap and we should get you there sometime soon and see just how much work it will take to get it ready to house everyone. It isn't that big so we wouldn't want it for anything permanent, but it could hold us all, if it is a bit cozy."

"Just let me know when you want to make the trip out. I know the space was air tight last time I was there, but I'm not sure if the air was good to breath, so we'll have to check on it before we end up having to use it. Anyway, I'm almost done packing the lunch, I'll let you get back to whatever you were doing." Epiphany felt better knowing there was a plan in place to move ahead. She might not quiet see the others as family, but they were more than just friends. Knowing there was someplace safe for them all to go made a great difference to her peace of mind.

With the light in hand she dove onward, thankful once again for her uncle's gifts.

She didn't care to think about all the other things talked about, instead she focused on not shredding her clothes. "It could be worse, at least we get to continue diving now.

Archived