Mutants & Masterminds: Struggles of Iannin - SOI Chat

Forge

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before I reply, I had thought of something the other day and wanted to bring it up for a discussion.

This game has been built (ironically) on Chaos. In the spirit of the Force die of d6 Star Wars, what would you say to adding a 'Chaos Die' to SOI?

Everytime you make a roll, you also roll a d6. The GM also rolls a d6. If you and the GM both roll a 1, something chaotic happens regarding that roll in a bad sense. If you both roll a 6, something good happens. Any other combination of rolls, nothing happens.

This would be outside the confines of the success or failure of the roll itself, but would add the sense of Chaos we had in the world creation.

Thoughts?

I do not mind giving the dice another chance to frak with us. In creation, those created a lot of flavor for the world and the game. I'd like to be able to use HP to mitigate the chaos factor. As far as relying solely on the ST to introduce chaos: it doesn't seem to be that random. Some of the things that were rolled during creation and then pieced together by Damon were very interesting and essential to the dynamic of the world-creation.

Just my two pennies.

• 1 month later...

It was posted in the Machinations thread.

Each branch is ranked similarly and every rank is easily identified by the glowing lucenite sunburst pattern around the eye. The number of rays branded denotes the rank, with one ray below the eye being an initiate to the order, and a student at the college, a 'Ray'. A second ray directly opposite that cuts through the eyebrow indicates a 'Bur', a graduate of the school. Most Sen'ten fall within the ranks of Ray and Bur. Above this there are two more ranks before titles become job specific, each accompanied with another ray, the first straight back from the corner of the eye towards the ear and the second in a 'southeast' direction. The titles are 'Nov' and 'Ilu'. Further marks would indicate position such as the instructors at the college's arc along their nose and the inside of the eye area or accolades such as pinpricks of light amongst the rays for achievements in vanquishing Chaos.

Jim,

"Z" has been redone. We appear to have editing powers back. Editing the encyclopedia will be fun as it is converting it all into HTML, you can look at Z to see what I did. Took me about an hour to go through and make sure I had all the facts and linked back where I could. Leave the letters alone as we don't have that font anymore as a selection, but feel free to edit whatever you want of the rest. I am bolding the entries.

Everyone else,

Whatever you can do to fact check us or if you're feeling super nice, writing up entries for the Encyclopedia would be super awesome. If you write anything up, just post it here in SOI Chat and either Jim or I will get it posted in.

Yeah sorry about that, you were AFK when Chosen told me it was fixed & I forgot when you got back. I'll start on "A" today and try to emulate what you did.

Folks to echo what Damon said and explain: When the sit changed all of the old links broke because they point to something that doesn't exist now. We're going to go back and fix the links and decided that some updates to entries were needed as well. I think it would help us out most if you can look at entries pertaining to your races & other creations especially since those you may have a better sense of than we do. Any amount of help would be appreciated though.

The "A"s are done.

A through E are updated. I'm adding new entries as I see the need or think of them so please feel free to suggest others I may have missed.

Elan's Blood had no cross reference, does anybody remember or know if there was a larger entry for it elsewhere?

I don't think there is one. I know I referred to it in the Bound Knight post (#43 in rebirth), but I don't recall anything describing it fully.

I'm sorry, but with the sick kids and my first full week of work for awhile, I am just plain exhausted. I am off tomorrow and should get the next post up.

Do you want me to start the next chapter at the ship? Or did anyone have anything there were going to do before that?

based on the description I would think that Armor made from it has the impervious extra, and weapons might have extra damage ranks from the added swing weight.

Edit: it could also have a higher material strength/toughness than steel. Steel is listed as Toughness 9 on the Material Toughness Chart, with Titanium having a 15 (these numbers assume a 1 inch thickness, as a plate for instance). Onyxiron might fall in the 13-14 range and receive that extra toughness against Smash/Sunder attempts.

Sounds good to me with Onyxiron - though instead of Extra Damage Ranks, it might have some Penetration. The stuff requires a reasonably strong person to wield (a quirk I suppose), so extra Damage Ranks would just be wasted as it goes over the cap (at lower power levels anyway). Impervious for armour and extra toughness for the material itself is exactly what I had in mind.

That sounds fair and reasonable. I'd still like a restriction on strength to use the stuff - say maybe Str 2 for one handed weapons and chain armor, Str 4 for two-handed weapons and plate armor? Someone with lower strength could pick the stuff up of course, it's just too heavy to use in combat (maybe -1 to hit with weapons and -1 to dodge for armor for each point of strength below the minimum).

I'd say stick with the standard circumstance bonus/penalty structure of ±2/±5 in this case if you are strong but not strong enough you take -2 on to hit and parry, escalates to -5 if you are outclassed. specific strength needed will depend on the weapon though, that's more into GM's call than anything. An Onyxiron knife isn't likely to be heavy enough to matter, but an onyxiron war maul is going to need more than Str 4 to wield properly IMO

• 2 weeks later...

I apologize for no update yet. We found out today(!!!!) that the buyers want to close Friday instead of Tuesday, so I was making lots and lots of calls this afternoon trying to accomplish that.

I will see about getting the post written and commandeering my Grandma's laptop or my Aunt's computer to post it while I am in WA if I have time.

Archived