Aberrant RPG - Creating T2M

Nyxx

:) That whole concept has a lot of potential. It's a pity we didn't see more of her.

T2M has a lot of potential, but we never really saw much of them either. It was very obvious that the developer loved the Teragen best. ::wink

Other than as thugs for a couple of adventures and a rather scattered writeup in PU, what have we really seen for T2M? Plus, the T2M chapter of Utopia was pure fluff for the most part and not very organized or useful fluff either.

[rant]Also, Ragnarockette and Shadow Artist were introduced in 1999 as "members in training" and were listed as still in training in 2002! Slow learners, eh? At least Slag managed to become a full member of the team before become hors 'd combat in Africa...

What really makes this silly is that the original "full members of T2M" had, at best, six months of training before being deployed. If Ragnarockette and Shadow Artist were trained for three years they should either be the very best, most well-trained Tomorrowites ever, or very, very, slow. [/rant]

Either way, I was also thinking about Backgrounds for T2M agents. Influence, Backing, Resources, Eufiber, etc. Influence should be easy to get to at least the 3-4 rating, Resources could easily be at 4 (six figure salary minimum is the quote I remember plus endorsements, etc.) 2-3 in Backing should be standard too.

I'll come back to it...

Hell, for all the attention the Teragen got, we didn't get many writeups for them, either. White Wolf felt very averse to statting major NPCs of any kind.
For good reason.The Teragen's mexican swashbulking revolutionary had a lethal soak of 2. The mob's flame guy who erupted in a hail of bullets also had a lethal soak against bullets of 'not enough'. T2M's *strong man* (the green brick) had a lethal soak of something close to nothing. The Angel of Bones write up doesn't match his description, and Boom Boom's (and other's) isn't legal.

WW didn't do a good job with this sort of thing, and there are *serious* problems with this in any case. Stating out T2M is without an ST to oversee the process & they end up as either too point heavy or too point light for the campaign, and you also end up with Players taking advantage of OOC knowledge. There's far too many people running around saying the conspiracy is just *obvious* because if you have it stat'ed in front of you then it is. In the real world Project Pro would put out disinformation.

Either way, I was also thinking about Backgrounds for T2M agents. Influence, Backing, Resources, Eufiber, etc. Influence should be easy to get to at least the 3-4 rating, Resources could easily be at 4 (six figure salary minimum is the quote I remember plus endorsements, etc.) 2-3 in Backing should be standard too.
I think it's an 8 figure salary minimum.

For good reason.The Teragen's mexican swashbulking revolutionary had a lethal soak of 2. The mob's flame guy who erupted in a hail of bullets also had a lethal soak against bullets of 'not enough'. T2M's *strong man* (the green brick) had a lethal soak of something close to nothing. The Angel of Bones write up doesn't match his description, and Boom Boom's (and other's) isn't legal.

Yeah, most of the NPC write ups were lacking in one way or another. I usually write up all of the NPCs I use and re-write the ones in pre-published stuff. I also make adventures and scenarios without the assumption that the player characters are pissants (which was the obviously the assumption behind most/all of the Aberrant scenarios) I cut my Storyteller teeth on Exalted, I always run with players characters who can make a difference in a major way, I want them to screw up canon, to derail the major NPCs, screw up my plotlines, and shake the pillars of heaven.

Aberrant's pre-published stuff usually assumes the players can't do that. If my PCs do something big, I roll with it, whether it's killing the Apostle in 2006 or hitting Pax with a cloud of Quantahistamine* before Mal can arrive at Bahrain in "Angel of Wrath" and kicking his ass themselves (both are things that have happened in my games)

The PCs in my games matter and are usually pretty damn tough, so I make sure that they have rivals that are pretty damn tough too.

*(Quantahistamine is a lot like super-Mox, it's a plot-device level drug that seriously impairs pretty much any nova, they got ahold of some early on, held onto it and used it when it mattered most.)

WW didn't do a good job with this sort of thing, and there are *serious* problems with this in any case. Stating out T2M is without an ST to oversee the process & they end up as either too point heavy or too point light for the campaign, and you also end up with Players taking advantage of OOC knowledge. There's far too many people running around saying the conspiracy is just *obvious* because if you have it stat'ed in front of you then it is. In the real world Project Pro would put out disinformation.

I always warn the players about that OOC knowledge crap, I allow a lot of latitude, I will also change behind the scenes info without warning if someone thinks that they have the right to abuse OOC knowledge.

I think it's an 8 figure salary minimum.

5 dots of Resources for everybody! ::biggrin

Fully agreed on everything else.

RE: 5 dots of resources

Excluding taint issues, it's seriously hard to build a 30 np nova who isn't worth 7 digits. It's even harder to figure out how our useless nova erupts to start with.

I mean say you drop all your nova points into mega-wits. DeVries could train you for a few months, bring your Biz up to 3 (from zero), and boom, you're a nova CEO.

RE: 5 dots of resources

Excluding taint issues, it's seriously hard to build a 30 np nova who isn't worth 7 digits.

Good point.

Next up is the Apollo Kid. My info on him is this: He's Australian, he's got formidable Mega-Mentals, he is otherwise considered a powerhouse (same era of eruption as Pax, etc.), he has no modesty at all, and he ditched T2M/Utopia after getting frustrated with how he was treated as a resource.

------------------------------------------

Ewen "The Apollo Kid" Banks

Strength 5 (Well-Built) Dexterity 4 (Nimble) Stamina 5 (Tough)

Perception 5 (Insightful) Intelligence 5 (Brilliant) Wits 5 (Cunning)

Appearance 5(Sexy) Manipulation 4 (Devious) Charisma 4 (Charming)

Quantum 5, Taint 3, Node 5

Mega Strength 2 (Irresistible Force)

Mega Dexterity 3 (Accuracy, Physical Prodigy, Avian)

Mega Stamina 4 (Resiliencyx2, Adaptability, Hardbody, Regeneration)

Mega Perception 4 (Electromagnetic Vision, Quantum Attunement, True Intent, Introspection)

Mega Intelligence 3 (Taint Resistance, Mental Prodigy: Science, Engineering, Eidetic Memory)

Mega Wits 3 (Quickness, Human Nature, Hypercognition, Artistic Genius)

Mega Appearance 2 (Awe-Inspiring)

Mega Manipulation 2 (Clarity, Persuader)

Elemental Mastery: Fire 5 (Lethal Blast, Blast, Wall, Storm, Enhance/Diminish)

Invulnerability (Fire/Heat): 3

Armor: 3

Flight: 4

Hyperflight: 2

-------------------------------------------------------

He is, of course, one of the real badasses of T2M and it was damn foolish of them to alienate him as was detailed on page 41 of Project Utopia

Agreed, and agreed. PU got too big for their own good.

Hell, that is the toned down version of the Apollo Kid from the one I used in a chronicle. I had him as just a bare notch below Pax, but more focused on the mental side. He was acting as the Aberrant's main mastermind.

(Sophia has always bugged me, I really don't like using her, so I had her not actually existing outside of an urban legend/false front created by the Apollo Kid to act as a decoy for his own activities)

Sophia has always bugged me, I really don't like using her, so I had her not actually existing outside of an urban legend/false front created by the Apollo Kid to act as a decoy for his own activities
You need a plot hook for her to start her out.

Assume she erupted on N-day. She's a telepathic cyber-k, with Disin, Warp, Luck, Entropy manip, a ton of Mega-Manip, and various Mega-Apps that let her alter her appearance.

She figured out what Project Pro was up to early on, changed her appearance, and infiltrated PU.

She joined T2M, became it's public face and then faked her death and abandoned her cover id so she could draw media attention to PU.

I.e. it wasn't Project Pro that botched Slider's assassination, it was botched *for* them.

You need a plot hook for her to start her out.

Assume she erupted on N-day. She's a telepathic cyber-k, with Disin, Warp, Luck, Entropy manip, a ton of Mega-Manip, and various Mega-Apps that let her alter her appearance.

She figured out what Project Pro was up to early on, changed her appearance, and infiltrated PU.

She joined T2M, became it's public face and then faked her death and abandoned her cover id so she could draw media attention to PU.

I.e. it wasn't Project Pro that botched Slider's assassination, it was botched *for* them.

::blink

Wow... just...Wow...

Have you used that? Have you been in a game where it was used? That. Is. Awesome.

So... Figment. She has made appearances here and there, seems to be the poster girl for Attunement and is T2M's resident ninja. ::ninja

I think the pic on the cover of WW: PII has her as the kung-fu T2M'er in the upper right hand corner behind Ragnarockette wearing a halter-top.

Facts I have gleaned:

1) She has very acute senses and probably can see through things to detect President-killing bombs and to deeply experience and seemingly enjoy the feeling of passing through objects

2) She does not need to hold her breath while "swimming" through solid matter

3) She is very nimble

4) She can remain cool and philosophical in any situation while still being a snarky smartass in personal correspondence

5) she can avoid detection by a roomful of novas

6) she can become fully intangible

7) while she can fight in nova-level battles, she does not have any simple method of doing nonlethal damage

8) she has a high level of Attunement

Thus, the below character. I want to go on record as saying that I think it is a stupid waste of time and points for someone with Invisibility to have Silence as a power and this is reflected below.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Figment

Strength 3 Dexterity 5 (Agile) Stamina 4 (Healthy)

Perception 5 (Intuitive) Intelligence 3 Wits 5 (Jaded)

Appearance 4(Sensual) Manipulation 4 (Witty) Charisma 4 (Quiet Confidence)

Quantum 3, Taint 0, Node 2, Attunement 5

Mega Dexterity 4 (Accuracy, Physical Prodigy, Catfooted, Rapid Strike)

Mega Stamina 2 (Adaptability, Regeneration)

Mega Perception 4 (High-End Electromagnetic Scan, Analytic Taste/Touch, Introspection)

Mega Wits 2 (Enhanced Initiative, Multi-Tasking)

Mega Appearance 1 (First Impression)

Invisibility 5 (Extra: Enhanced Effect)

Density Decrease: 5

Claws (Ripple Phase): 3 (Extra: Armor Piercing)*

*Figment can "ripple" parts of her body in and out of "phase" with normal matter tearing into and destroying most solid objects and inflicting grievous wounds on even nova level opponents

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that's my idea of a superhuman ninja! ::biggrin

Thus, the below character. I want to go on record as saying that I think it is a stupid waste of time and points for someone with Invisibility to have Silence as a power and this is reflected below.
Invis + RCQ & Silence + RCQ and you have someone who can follow people around while invis/silent basically forever. That scene in Ironskin's bar was *one* scene, but who knows how many she might have spent before that.

Invis + RCQ & Silence + RCQ and you have someone who can follow people around while invis/silent basically forever. That scene in Ironskin's bar was *one* scene, but who knows how many she might have spent before that.

Point, but it dosen't give much defense against all the other ways to be detected. But she was used as the example for Silence so consider this a more "canon-friendly" interpretation:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Figment

Strength 3 Dexterity 5 (Agile) Stamina 4 (Healthy)

Perception 5 (Intuitive) Intelligence 3 Wits 5 (Jaded)

Appearance 4(Sensual) Manipulation 4 (Witty) Charisma 4 (Quiet Confidence)

Quantum 3, Taint 0, Node 2, Attunement 5

Mega Dexterity 3 (Accuracy, Physical Prodigy, Catfooted, Rapid Strike)

Mega Stamina 2 (Adaptability, Regeneration)

Mega Perception 3 (High-End Electromagnetic Scan, Analytic Taste/Touch, Introspection)

Mega Wits 2 (Enhanced Initiative, Multi-Tasking)

Mega Appearance 1 (First Impression)

Invisibility 5 (Extra: RQC)

Silence: 5 (Extra: RQC)

Density Decrease: 5

Claws (Ripple Phase): 3 (Extra: Armor Piercing)*

*Figment can "ripple" parts of her body in and out of "phase" with normal matter tearing into and destroying most solid objects and inflicting grievous wounds on even nova level opponents

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But she was used as the example for Silence so consider this a more "canon-friendly" interpretation:
Thank you. ::sly
Point, but it dosen't give much defense against all the other ways to be detected.
With the sole exception of Bloodhound, you don't *need* to defend against anything else. All the other senses require activation and q to be spent. Ergo they're only used if people know to look, but if they don't know to look then they get *no* roll. Between sight and sound you're protected against the normal ways people can notice you're around, and that's enough.

Also, note that stealth would still apply, so even if you have a sense that works on her, you still need to make opposed rolls if she's even trying.
Yeah... mostly. It's the bloodhound blindfighting combo that's just death to invis. Bloodhound to let you know that you need to make an awareness roll, Blindfighting to find them. Technically you get a roll to oppose Blindfighting but it's so lopsided that the invisible character normally just isn't going to win.

That assumes your odor molecules remain intangible, and can't be smelled even if intangible. Given density decrease doesn't negate any other senses normally, I'd be leery of assuming this.

That said, so you can "see" her ( or equivalent ). Your still dealing with an intangible super ninja who seriously screw up all but the brickiest people if she can touch you. Figment isn't exactly weak.

One could argue that with full physical intangibility, bloodhound wouldn;t work, since you would have no molecular vapor trail to pick up on...
First problem is you're still affected normally by gases and can still talk and breath.

2nd problem is what metaphysician said, if you normally smell then you probably still do.

Again, here is the perfect case where physics isn't your friend in gaming. I suppose it depends on the special effect...if you are gaseous then you definitely are having a vapor trail, but that is only 2 dots of DC. At 3 you ignore solid objects completely, so how would oxygen molecules be able to enter your bloodstream, as they are a physical, tangible substance? Oxygen can't pass through an impermeable mebrane yet someone with DC 3 can? Of course I always solve this conundrum personally buy giving any DC character I build Adaptability but this is really something the rules should have covered. If nothing else,then at DC 5 I would say that bloodhound doesn't work, and if you use the power and don't have adaptability then you are holding your breath the whole time with whatever air you had in your lungs that phased out with you...

DC 5 is plenty strong enough without also saying that you're invisible to bloodhound and all the other non-sight senses. Don't confuse theme with what the player has actually purchased. If they purchased Invis(smell) (call it a level 1 power) then blood hound doesn't work. Otherwise, tough.

Griffin Armstrong is said to have the following traits:

1) Amazing Strength

2) Extreme toughness and resilience

3) "Uncanny" mastery of gravity

From art you can see that he has white hair (later on) and very punk rock style choices.

I gave him a couple of dots of Mega Wits and Mega Dexterity as they are the attributes used in Gravity Control, thus giving him "Uncanny Mastery of Gravity!". Otherwise it's very straightforward.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Griffin Armstrong

Strength:5 (Brutal) Dexterity:5 (Fast Hands) Stamina: 5 (Grit)

Perception: 3 Intelligence: 2 Wits: 5 (Cunning)

Appearance: 4 (Imposing) Manipulation: 3 Charisma: 4 (Telegenic)

Quantum: 5 Node: 4 Taint: 4 (Aberration: White Hair)

Mega Strength: 5 (Lifter, Thrower, Irresistible Force, Crush, Thunderclap)

Mega Dexterity: 2 (Accuracy)

Mega Stamina: 5 (Resilencyx2, Hardbody, Durability)

Mega Wits: 2 (Multitasking)

Armor: 5

Gravity Control: 5 (Gravitic Blast, Gravitokinesis, Gravitic Flight, Gravitational Field, Gravitic Shield)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm working on Psyche right now and I have a question for the number crunchers: What is the highest Dominate dice pool you can have and still be shrugged off by someone with Willpower 5 and Psychic Shield 2?

Psyche was apparently happily Dominating the hell out of Gabriel Melchior right up until he developed Psychic Shield 2, so I'm going to guess that her pool for Dominate is not stellar.

I'm working on Psyche right now and I have a question for the number crunchers: What is the highest Dominate dice pool you can have and still be shrugged off by someone with Willpower 5 and Psychic Shield 2?

Psyche was apparently happily Dominating the hell out of Gabriel Melchior right up until he developed Psychic Shield 2, so I'm going to guess that her pool for Dominate is not stellar.

Melchior rolls 3 sux on his willpower, gets 4 auto from PS, and spends a point of willpower to get 8.

Psyche was probably getting 7 sux, so G pulled his punch just a hair and didn't kill her outright.

Manip 5 (2 sux)

Dominate 3 (1.2 sux)

Mega-Manip 3 (2.7 sux)

Total 5.9 sux

So...

Manip 5 (2 sux)

Dominate 4 (1.6 sux)

Mega-Manip 4 (3.6 sux)

Total 7.2 sux

I like this later one since she needs to throw around a lot of sux just to be sure she can manipulate him even without the p-shield. He *hates* being with Project Pro so they need a lot of sux to get him to cooperate. If you wanted to give her Mega-Manip/Dominate of both 5, then that *still* works since the megas are so erratic. One bad roll and he breaks free.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't even remember seeing this Griffin person. Where's he mentioned in the books?

[edit] Thinking about Psyche, I'm wondering if she has only mediocre mental powers, backed up by a better Disrupt (mental powers only). That makes it easy for her to rescue Pax from being mind-controlled (Disrupt, then counter-Dominate his shiny dome) and still not too difficult for someone with two dots of Psychic Shield to ignore her. [/edit]

Archived