Trinity RPG: Quantum of Hope - Character Creation

knave

A Quantum of Hope

Character Creation:

Characters will be newly recruited to the I.I.S as Field Agents or Field Capable Analysts and will have been drawn from outside organizations (as per Bert’s book).

Characters should be created as starting characters, but with 25xp to spend representing the experienced gained in these other professions. (See the Trinity UK Sourcebook for ability groups)

Given that the IIS employs a number of psychological profiling tests characters will not be admitted unless they are:

-reasonably intelligent

-prepared to make certain sacrifices of conscience for the greater good of the country

-without ties to any foreign powers or organizations

The I.I.S. is not in the habit of employing thrill seekers. What they’re looking for are extremely controlled individuals who either operate with a high level of precision, or with a focussed intensity. Men and women willing to get the job done without causing embarrassment.

Inspired

One of the starting characters may be an active psion - although this may be an NPC if no-one wants it. If you don’t get to be the psion, assume that your character will manifest at very least strong latency quite soon.

So am I correct in summarising the Creation of a Neutral as the following:

(TPG p.86)

Stats = 6/4/3

Abilities = 12 Allegiance + 15 General

Background = 7

Freebie = 21

Psi = 1

Willpower = 3

From BertJammins notes and what Knave has said here on Eon:

Cypher = 3

Resources = 2

Merit: Law Enforcement 6pts = license to Kill !?

Must take at least 2 dots spread between Status, Allies or Contacts

Bonus point costs for Devices and Requisition Backgrounds are HALVED

Characters may freely purchase Cyberware from Asia Ascendant with either Bonus points or Resources

Characters may freely learn VARG ability by spending Bonus points without having to provide further explanation or a reason from their back story

25xp from previous experience before recruitment to IIS

[bertJ pdf] - experience costs for the Abilities listed in the I.I.S. Field Division Ability Group are reduced to x3

Current rating rather than x4.

Field Division Ability Group

Athletics

Intrusion

Linguistics

Subterfuge

Firearms OR Martial Arts

Command OR Etiquette OR Interrogation OR Savvy

As it states in AsAs that cyberware is just a form of Device, I'm assuming that that is also bought at Half cost with Bonus pts.

This is my attempt to collate/summarise it all. Please correct anything that is wrong, or not what you intended.

That looks about right.

I've got a little flashback in mind to clarify what 'Licensed to Kill' means, but basically it means that you are answerable only to your own agency for your actions.

Also available cyberware is limited to 1 dot options and is always considered disguised.

So am I correct in summarising the Creation of a Neutral as the following:

(TPG p.86)

Stats = 6/4/3

Abilities = 12 Allegiance + 15 General

Background = 7

Freebie = 21

Psi = 1

Willpower = 3

From BertJammins notes and what Knave has said here on Eon:

Cypher = 3

Resources = 2

Merit: Law Enforcement 6pts = license to Kill !?

Characters may freely purchase Cyberware from Asia Ascendant with either Bonus points or Resources

Characters may freely learn VARG ability by spending Bonus points without having to provide further explanation or a reason from their back story

25xp from previous experience before recruitment to IIS

[bertJ pdf] - experience costs for the Abilities listed in the I.I.S. Field Division Ability Group are reduced to x3

Current rating rather than x4.

Athletics

Intrusion

Linguistics

Subterfuge

Firearms OR Martial Arts

As it states in AsAs that cyberware is just a form of Device, I'm assuming that that is also bought at Half cost with Bonus pts.

This is my attempt to collate/summarise it all. Please correct anything that is wrong, or not what you intended.

My working concept is an ex-2nd Legionnaire. A British national he joined the Legions in his early twenties after running aweay from personal problems in the UK (much like joining the French Foreign Legion "to forget"). The "problems" involved getting a girl pregnant but not wanting to settle down.

The Legions taught him discipline and responsibility and he has since begun a relationship with his daughter, Jessica, although he and her mother remain friends.

His life as a mercenary has paid well and he maintains an apartment on the Mujukuu station and he fashions himself very much along the lines of an errant questing knight of old - mixing the skills of war with those of the arts and "proper" etiquette.

His passion for the stars and sought to transfer to the 7th Legion when it was incepted but was refused. This led to his repeated attempts to transfer, each was refused and each refusal grew to increasing resentment. He was therefore ready for the change When an IIS recruiter approached him with an offer to join. Leaving the mercenary life behind he has fully commited to serving his nation.

While I don't see him as a psion I could picture him as a Psi sink - perhaps one of the reasons he was refused transfer to the 7th.

My working concept is an ex-2nd Legionnaire. A British national he joined the Legions in his early twenties after running aweay from personal problems in the UK (much like joining the French Foreign Legion "to forget"). The "problems" involved getting a girl pregnant but not wanting to settle down.

The Legions taught him discipline and responsibility and he has since begun a relationship with his daughter, Jessica, although he and her mother remain friends.

His life as a mercenary has paid well and he maintains an apartment on the Mujukuu station and he fashions himself very much along the lines of an errant questing knight of old - mixing the skills of war with those of the arts and "proper" etiquette.

His passion for the stars and sought to transfer to the 7th Legion when it was incepted but was refused. This led to his repeated attempts to transfer, each was refused and each refusal grew to increasing resentment. He was therefore ready for the change When an IIS recruiter approached him with an offer to join. Leaving the mercenary life behind he has fully commited to serving his nation.

While I don't see him as a psion I could picture him as a Psi sink - perhaps one of the reasons he was refused transfer to the 7th.

Sounds good to me ::biggrin

May need to change the name of the game to Avalon Returns or something with all the knights walking about though ::tongue

Just so we don't have any later misunderstandings, Bert - I'm not requiring anyone to play only Psion or Psi sink characters - though both are valid starting options.

This game starts in July 2122 - a month before the Venezuelan Phenomenon, and I fully intend to boost all involved in some way during the game. If you want to start as a Psi Sink - please do though. I'm sure I can dream up a way to boost even that ::tongue

May need to change the name of the game to Avalon Returns or something with all the knights walking about though ::tongue

As long as we can drop the love triangles...

Seriously, though.. With the return to war being fought by a handful of champions in stead of masses of gunfodder, I think the knight self image makes a lot of sense, specially to 00-material soldiers.

As long as we can drop the love triangles...

Seriously, though.. With the return to war being fought by a handful of champions in stead of masses of gunfodder, I think the knight self image makes a lot of sense, specially to 00-material soldiers.

Maybe so ::ultracool

Thanks for the PM Knave. Sorry about the Resource thing, I hadn't spotted that. Yeah, I don't think they would pay the equivalent of a cheap Hybrid for each member of a unit!

Ammo types: Std, armour piercing, frangible, rubber. Were the sort of things I wondered about.

I've got my stats on paper and will try to PM you sometime soon. ::biggrin

Thanks for the PM Knave. Sorry about the Resource thing, I hadn't spotted that. Yeah, I don't think they would pay the equivalent of a cheap Hybrid for each member of a unit!

Ammo types: Std, armour piercing, frangible, rubber. Were the sort of things I wondered about.

I've got my stats on paper and will try to PM you sometime soon. ::biggrin

Ok. See if you agree with this breakdown (Everyone)

Armour piercing: Armour is less effective (it's value is halved), but the bullet tends to cut cleanly through pretty much everything - (damage is 2 dice less)

Frangible bullets/Hollow Points etc: disintergrate on impact - especially with harder substances. Armour is more effective (armour*1.5) but the bullet's disintergration makes the wound much worse (add 2 dice of damage)

Rubber: Damage is bashing.

Ability Groups

Hey gang.

Ability groups represent areas where your employer can provide you with enhanced training. As operatives who have been newly accepted into the IIS from outside you may have got your training at the outside agency or from the IIS - as training necessary for entry. This may seem a bit silly, but I'm aware that some of you may have calculated your skill and XP totals already and I'm really loathe to say no more than half XP from here or there for that reason.

So - for this initial 25XP you can spend it at a rate of 3X current on IIS Ability Group or Previous Allegiance ability group skills.

Other skills are at 4X current rating.

Fair Warning:Future XP will only get the 3X current rating on IIS ability group.

Hey Gang - I have my first character submission! Yay! ::biggrin

The rest of you - get a shifty on, I want to get going before the Eden game ::tongue

Just to make my life a bit easier though, could all future submissions follow this basic format

Stat: [Final Value] ([starting value] + X Bonus points + Y XP [ability group])

For example:

Strength: 4 ( 2 + 10 bonus points )

Brawl: 2 ( 0 + 2 bonus points + 3XP [Legion] )

etc.

That should help everyone ::biggrin

Can't PM stats to you since I mainly use a mobile to post and it imposes a practical limit on the length of my PM's.

I've got it as a word doc so I could email it to you or I could post it to a thread. Strangely although the phone limits a post length it doesn't limit it if I do a subsequent Quick edit.

So give me an email address or nominate a thread to post it to.

email addy pmed over

Can't PM stats to you since I mainly use a mobile to post and it imposes a practical limit on the length of my PM's.

I've got it as a word doc so I could email it to you or I could post it to a thread. Strangely although the phone limits a post length it doesn't limit it if I do a subsequent Quick edit.

So give me an email address or nominate a thread to post it to.

• 4 weeks later...

Psion Character Creation

Stats = 7/5/3

Abilities = 10 Allegiance + 13 General ( allegiance dots can be in previous allegiance skills)

Background = 7

Freebie = 15

Psi = ((stamina + wits + charisma) / 2 ) round up

Willpower = 5

Free:

Cypher = 3

Resources = 2

Merit: Law Enforcement 6pts

Characters may freely purchase 1 dot Cyberware from Asia Ascendant with Bonus points.

25xp in previous allegiance or IIS ability group to represent inductory training and training prior to recruitment.

Experience costs for the Abilities listed in the I.I.S. Field Division Ability Group are reduced to x3 Current rating rather than x4.

Athletics

Intrusion

Linguistics

Subterfuge

Firearms OR Martial Arts

Heritage, as you're planning on playing a psion from the get go, it's probably only fair to give you a little insight as to how I run psi use.

I came up with this freeform system variant which seems to work reasonably well as long as you don't try to break it down too far.

What it does is it treats Modes like any other skill - i.e. Telesthesia 3 is better than Telesthesia 2 but doesn't give you access to any special ability. Specific Psi Powers - e.g. 'A wall of force' or 'Microscopic Vision' become specialities like any other speciality (but more expensive ::tongue ).

Ultimately what this means is Psions are able to attempt anything within their Aptitude with a potential for success dependent on their mode score and how much psi they're willing to spend.

Hope that makes sense.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice reply Knave! ::biggrin.

Heritage, as both are imposed/freebie Merits/Flaws you don't spend anything for them and you don't gain anything from them, they just appear on the sheet (practically) regardless of what you do. Just spend your normal Bonus pts as though they weren't there is my advice, although as I'm not Knave I could be hideously wrong, in which case I apologise to all concerned in advance! ::biggrin

Nice reply Knave! ::biggrin.

Heritage, as both are imposed/freebie Merits/Flaws you don't spend anything for them and you don't gain anything from them, they just appear on the sheet (practically) regardless of what you do. Just spend your normal Bonus pts as though they weren't there is my advice, although as I'm not Knave I could be hideously wrong, in which case I apologise to all concerned in advance! ::biggrin

/agree.

Sorry I was trying to answer on my mobile and it was so awful I gave up ::tongue

Archived