Aberrant RPG - Your Novas vs Caestus Pax

metaphysician

Since the topic of 'You vs Totentanz' has been revived, lets up the ante a little. . .

Say your party is, by some means, on the bad end of Caestus Pax's fist. What do you do? Would you try and beat him, and if so, how? If you can't beat him, what would you do to escape him?

Assume for the purposes of this thread he has the stats in the following attachment ( from Quantum Continuum, so I *think* its semi-official ).

Caestus_Pax.htm

This one is easy, he's got a weak point, it's right above his neck.

Yeah, I was just thinking, after looking at that sheet, how our Trans-D characters would actually stand a semi-decent chance against him. Some of the others distract him for a moment (I think Brandt's fast enough, and Paul's invisible but could zap him with bolts) while Zhenglai slips in close and Dominates his completely unprotected mind (with a Willpower of 7, and no Psi-Shields, he doesn't really stand a chance - though I suppose his Comp. Mind might cause some trouble over the long haul.). Of course it'd be risky, but most fights are.

This came up in conversation in my group. Not "How do you beat Pax?" because any character with Mind Blast and a decent stealth roll can do that, but "How do you battle Pax?"

My answer was, "Oh, I'll just have Michal sit down and design a gadget to Q-Vamp his Invulnerability, Stamina, and Strength."

"How long will that take?"

"About six months, I think."

My group didn't like this answer. ::tongue

Plus, if he does do this, his most damaging power is single target only, and no more likely to hit from orbit than from close quarters ( the Q-Bolt ). His area attack options are considerably less damaging.

So, if he decides to flee to orbit, there's a good chance some or all of the group opposing can escape, if they have teleport, warp, or similar ( or enough stealth and movement to get out of the AoE, and hope he doesn't go tossing 15 kilometer radius kinetic blasts down on your last known position repeatedly ).

If I'm doing the math right, his flight with H-move is 740 meters per round.

His Q-Bolt is 40[42], his area of effect stuff is "only" 30 dice (sphere) or [20] (storm).

I won't bother figuring out his soak. Basically it's "too high".

Soak-wise, "way too high" definitely applies for kinetic attacks, but for everything else, its 'only' about 50 or so. Thats why its critical to either be able to shut off some of his defenses, or have major energy attacks.

I stick to my guns regarding his attack power; while his Q-Bolt will one-hit anyone whose not Q6+ ( and probably lots of people who are ), his area stuff is survivable, at least for a turn or two.

Getting him to engage in, and stay in, melee is probably critical for beating him, though. While he does upward of 50+ in melee, thats more survivable than his Q-Bolt, and more avoidable than his area kinetic attacks. Which probably means you need to pick a brick to take one for the team, piss him off and get the crap kicked out of him while the rest pound Pax with non-kinetic attacks. . .

Archived