Adventure! RPG - Transformation

BlueNinja

Hey folks, I thought that I had seen someone's Knack for someone who changes form - a la Mr. Hyde or lycanthropy. But, I don't seem to be seeing it. If there's one written, I'd appriciate a pointer, otherwise I'll just write it up myself. I have a storyline coming up for my Adventure! tabletop group that will involve a werewolf.

You could simulate the Lycanthropy with an Artifact that is the curse. You just set the rules for the activation of the Artifact as...well whatever it is that triggers the change in your story. The Curse, when active could be a series of Biological enhancements and a couple of Knacks, or just 6 levels of Superhuman knacks. I'm presently using a system sort of like this in my game right now and it is going pretty well.

-Slag

I was thinking of something along the lines of a Knack that allows the user to transform with an Endurance roll at +1 difficulty (or 1 temp Inspiration), and allows them to add dots equal to their Destructive facet spread across their Physical attributes however they want, as well as something like an extra B/L soak. Plus adding a non-controllable transformation upon exposure to something in particular (moonlight, a special formula, etc).

Mostly, I want to put it together as a Knack because if one of the players gets bitten, I plan to make them suffer it until/unless they research a cure. ::happy

Do you want it to be a curse, or a benifit, or something of both? The core questions are how much does this help them, how much does it hurt, and how much control do they have.

If it's a true curse, then don't bother with "however they want" or anything. Just use the Medical Experimentation rules (pages 181 with the chart on 182). 10 Advancements etc (and they even have rules for extra soak, claws, and a tail). Of course that comes with a +5 diff to social rolls, which you could simply interperate as "insane rage" or something like that.

If it's supposed to be a benifit, then it's more a theme than a single power. Body of Bronze, Reptilian Regeneration, Piledriver, Heightened Senses, and a varient on Man of Many Faces.

Or you could combine those two. Give those 5 knacks in combo with insane rage.

Thanks; I'll probably work out a slight modification of this.
Do you want it to be a curse, or a benifit, or something of both? The core questions are how much does this help them, how much does it hurt, and how much control do they have.
A little bit of both. I had in mind that the Knack allows them to transform at will, while also requiring them to transform in particular circumstances. It should allow some benefit (that's why it's a Knack, after all) that is greater than the downside.
If it's supposed to be a benifit, then it's more a theme than a single power. Body of Bronze, Reptilian Regeneration, Piledriver, Heightened Senses, and a varient on Man of Many Faces.
I wanted a Knack specifically for the shape-changing aspect. I was planning to toss in Body of Bronze for the badguy anyway.

Ok, here's my rough draft. I'm sure that Alex, at least, is waiting and ready to poke holes in it. ::biggrin

Second Skin

Level Three Dynamic Knack

Do you know what it's like, to look out through your own eyes, and know that you are only a passenger?

Both science and myth have tales of people with another form. Something monstrous, hidden deep within their mind or body, brought forth under horrible circumstances. A Stalwart with this Knack has that beast, and knows it well, being able to bring it forth when they desire.

System:

Second Skin allows the character to change their form. This can be used to simulate a transformation such as a werewolf, or the Hulk. Whatever form is chosen is fixed from then forward, and no character can take this Knack multiple times to allow for multiple forms. Whatever the form, the mass of the new form should not differ from their human shape by more than 50%. (ie, a human man weighing 80 kgs should not be less than 40 or more than 120 kgs.) To transform at will, the character may either spend one temporary Inspiration to last the scene (or until they choose to change back), or roll Endurance, with each success fueling the transformation for one turn. Temporary Willpower may be spent on the Endurance roll to increase the successes by one turn per point spent. This Knack can only be activated once per day unless the GM rules otherwise.

While transformed, the character gains a number of extra Physical Attribute dots equal to their Destructive facet plus one. These dots may be assigned wherever the players wants, up to a maximum of six dots. The dots do not have to be evenly assigned, nor assigned to the same attributes for different transformations. While transformed, the character's form is considered to automatically have Appearance 5 (Noticable). In addition, the transformation grants a Lethal soak equal to the Reflective facet.

This transformation comes with a downside. At the time this Knack is taken, the player must choose a situation or trigger, such as full moonlight, an uncommon substance such as wine or opium, or an emotion such as strong anger or hate. At any time the character is exposed to this trigger, they must succeed at a Willpower roll against a difficulty equal to their Destructive facet, or be forced to transform. In addition, the player must choose one type of damage, such as fire, electricity, or silver. Attacks made with that type of weapon are not soakable by anything other than worn armor (which, unless custom made for the transformation, should not fit).

Ok, here's my rough draft. I'm sure that Alex, at least, is waiting and ready to poke holes in it. ::biggrin
Be glad to.
Do you know what it's like, to look out through your own eyes, and know that you are only a passenger?
I like the quote.

RE: System

Advantages:

Destructive facet +1 physical dots.

Lethal soak equal to the Reflective facet.

Disadvantages:

Triggered substance.

Unsoakable damage type.

Mixed:

Appearance 5 (Noticable).

My first comment is I think all our Pulp examples of this knack, i.e. the Hulk, Werewolf, Mr. Hide, etc, all include multiple personality. We don't really have sane people using it until we get bodymorphing super humans (The Human Torch). Even examples where the other personality is both good and sane (Captain Marvel) can still be argued to be a seperate personality depending on the writer. Many of our examples also had a level of "unearthyness" to their civilian id (although this varies wildly depending on the writer), or a "feeding" requirement (ditto).

As written you've left the door open to the "non-cursed" varient of this. All of the werewolf's advantages without his curse. Mind you, that's just an observation, and you may have done this delibrately.

With that caviat, I think this works pretty well. The only thing I might add to the description is that on top of that Appearance the character is going to be obviously not human and will be treated that way (no Ranma 1/2).

As written you've left the door open to the "non-cursed" varient of this. All of the werewolf's advantages without his curse. Mind you, that's just an observation, and you may have done this delibrately.
I don't want to force anyone to play a sane/crazy character. Also, IIRC, Hyde wasn't a 'crazy' Jekhyll, just one who refused to obey the law when it stood between him and what he wanted.
With that caviat, I think this works pretty well. The only thing I might add to the description is that on top of that Appearance the character is going to be obviously not human and will be treated that way (no Ranma 1/2).
Although both Hulk and Hyde are human-ish. They could (or, Hyde at least) be mistaken at a distance for a regular person. This is one of those things that IMO should be handled on individual basis, since some characters might well have a reason for their shift to be fairly human-looking.

I don't want to force anyone to play a sane/crazy character. Also, IIRC, Hyde wasn't a 'crazy' Jekhyll, just one who refused to obey the law when it stood between him and what he wanted.
Maybe I put that poorly.

You can argue Hyde was sane (though evil) as Hyde, and you can argue Jekhyll was sane as Jekhyll, but since both of them are sharing one body and they aren't the same person, by normal definitions they are a multiple personality. Ditto the Hulk, even ditto Captain Marvel - Rick Jones, ditto etc.

The question is does having this Knack mean you have two PCs in one body, or can you run around as Banner in the Hulk's body?

The question is does having this Knack mean you have two PCs in one body, or can you run around as Banner in the Hulk's body?
Well, it is designed with the idea that the Beast is (to some degree) a different mental entity, like a multiple personality. But the Knack is not written that it must be played that way, because I can see certain character types (say, a vampire, or some sort of enlightened holy avenger) who can gain a more advanced form without automatically losing mental faculty.

I was thinking of something along the lines of a Knack that allows the user to transform with an Endurance roll at +1 difficulty (or 1 temp Inspiration), and allows them to add dots equal to their Destructive facet spread across their Physical attributes however they want, as well as something like an extra B/L soak. Plus adding a non-controllable transformation upon exposure to something in particular (moonlight, a special formula, etc).

Mostly, I want to put it together as a Knack because if one of the players gets bitten, I plan to make them suffer it until/unless they research a cure. ::happy

What you just described is almost exactly the system I'm using (at this point the party is pretty high powered, so it does a bit more than that, but I hold the keys)

-Slag

PS Skylion: I've never really done PBP stuff, I've never really been able to wrap my brain around how to tell a story that way.

Well, it is designed with the idea that the Beast is (to some degree) a different mental entity, like a multiple personality. But the Knack is not written that it must be played that way, because I can see certain character types (say, a vampire, or some sort of enlightened holy avenger) who can gain a more advanced form without automatically losing mental faculty.
Sounds like a good job for experience. I.e. you get bit, you pay experience to become a practiced wolf or you suffer with uncontrolled effects.

• 2 months later...

Archived