Aberrant RPG - Contest of PCs

dcrod

I might assemble a full stat write-up later, but here are some of the best powers/enhancements IMO, when thinking from a strictly combat POV:

Absorption - Very powerful, can be used reflexively. Apply it to kinetic damage and every punch, kick, and bullet will be softer.

Bounce - Same thinking as Absorption. Except, this one converts kineticx damage to motion. You could fall from a rooftop and probably just bounce back up, or at least soak a major portion of the damage. Great vs. Mega-Strength strikes; reduces damage taken...and provides for a speedy exit!

Shapeshift - Uber-useful. Can become Armor, Claws, Sizemorph, various Mega-Physical enhancements, Body Mods, and other stuff.

Entropy Control's Bioentropy Storm - It ignores soak and affects an area!

Gravity Control's Gravitational Field - Anyone without Flight or some other non-physical movement power is screwed. Especially handy against novas lacking ranged attacks.

Temporal Manipulation - If you can get to Q5, very useful. Stop Time is ridiculous.

Invisibility - If they aren't looking for you and you don't do anything to draw attention, no one can see you.

Disintegrate - Simple, but powerful.

Mental Attack + Aggravated Extra - Ouch.

Claws + Aggravated Extra + Armor Piercing - Double ouch.

Immolate + Aggravated - Great vs. melee attackers; you hurt them when you strike them, and they hurt themselves when they strike you.

Invulnerability - Can soak Aggravated damage of the specified type, I believe. Take the Broad Category extra, specify Physical or Energy, and not only will your soak rock balls, but the soak from Invul can apply to Agg damage.

Regeneration - Duh. It's too powerful not to take. The most powerful combat enhancement in the game!

Force Field + Reflexive - Instant soak right when you need it.

Quantum Imprint - Copy another nova's powers. Very versatile.

I also suggest Mega-Dexterity, since Dex is the base Attribute for many attack powers, and in combat you'll likely be rolling a lot of Martial Arts and Athletics. Mega-Strength if you go melee, especially with Claws or Crush.

High Willpower is good also, to better resist the mentalists you'll face.

Ah yes, Clone + Mega-Physicals and non-qp powers. Basically any q-power that doesn't cost qp to use with every strike or whatever. Claws only need to be activated once, Armor and Invulnerability are permanent, etc.

Oh, and of course, spend 1 NP (or 5 of your automatic 7 Background dots, or bonus points) on getting a Node of 5. Gotta spend lots of qp every turn ^_^ Also, a Eufiber of 5 dots plus at least one dot in Weave. Eufiber 5 gives you +5 soak and +5 stored qp, plus Weave lets you turn it into Claws, Spines, Wing/Patagia, and other stuff.

Another good, if simple, trick is chaining together enough Boost ( Strength and Dex ) to hit Mega Str and Mega Dex 5, Hypermovement , Flight , Enhanced Movement, Rapid Strike, and Claws. Chain all that together, and you can get lethal damage totals that would otherwise require Q6 and Mastery.

HA! Thanks metaphysician. I play a speedster/brawler over at Nprime in a T2M game. Rapido has 3mega-dex, 1mega-str, hypermovement, enhanced movement, rapid strike and claws (kineticly charged punches) Now I know what I'm spending my XP on. This is the first brawler I've ever played.

Hypermovement at a high enough rating (4 I think?) can cause a Thunderclap effect. Also remember that is enables yoyu tro perform unique high-speed attacks (Hyperspeed Slam).

Don't forget to take Multitasking, Enhanced Initiative, and Quickness if you're a speedster. Multitasking reduces multiple action penalities, which is great for anyone tossing a dozen punches around a turn. And Quickness can help you eliminate enemies further down the Initiative line.

Also, if you take Mega-Intelligence, take Discerning Mind from Brainwaves. It lets you resist Social rolls. Very useful. Even in combat, some enemies may try to use things like Dreadful Mien and Awe-Inspiring on you.

Oh, oh, I forgot. Mega-Ugly enhancements! From Forceful Personalities, if that counts here. Many of them can have battle uses.

You know, I've honestly never liked the automatic sonic boom component of Hypermovement. Its an effect that can either be a crippling limitation or a considerably advantage, almost solely determined by whether the character is a ruthless bastard or not.

Hence why I'm glad my GM has house ruled it out of existence.

I agree, actually. If you're trying to sneak into a prison (for example) with Hypermovement...basically, run in, take prisoner, run out...then it would be best if you didn't knock down the building while doing so.

Take the Explosion extra if you want to make it into a sonic-boom kind of attack.

Archived