Aberrant RPG - Group Powers and Techniques, Plus New Setting Concept

Heru

Here I am again with another concept that I want to run by you guys.

Okay, in the books there are a number of Level 3 powers that contain multiple level 1 and level 2 techniques. I really like this system and think that its a great way to describe characters with focused concepts but broad individual powers.

My only problem is that of really cool powers are outside of this system. And if I were to create an Aberrant setting with only Group Powers (is their a better name than this) they would have to be left out. Now, some of them are can be easily fitted in, but I was wondering if anybody could offer assistance on some of the harder ones. This is namely Telekinesis (which, I guess, could be under Gravity control) and Telepathy, Empathic Manipulation, Domination and the other mental powers.

Core Book

-----------

Body Modification (its special and it fits due to its varied nature)

-Bioluminescence

Cyberkinesis

Elemental Anima

Elemental Mastery

Entropy Control

Gravity Control

-Flight

Magnetic Mastery

Molecular Manipulation

Temporal Manipulation

-Precognitive

-Premonition

Weather Manipulation

Players Guide

-------------

Information Manipulation

Momentum Control

Teragen Book

-------------

Spatial Manipulation

-Teleport

-Warp

Mega-Attribute Change

In this setting I also made a modification to the Mega-Attribute system so as to restrict its higher levels. Quantum goes up to 10 like normal, but Mega-Attributes only go up to 5.

A Nova may purchase Mega-Attributes only if his Attributes and Quantum reach these minimums.

Attribute Quantum Mega-Attribute

----------- ---- ----------------

1 1 0

1 2 0

2 3 1

3 4 2

4 5 3

5 6 4

6* 7 5

*This is a special merit known as Legendary Attribute. Novas can use 1 nova point or three experience points to purchase it.

Back to the Past

By the way, I came up with this character to describe this setting. It begins in canon history during the Trinity Era but goes to another time and place. This new world has Low Taint and its quantum powers are organized in a manner similar to the Aptitudes of Trinity. This was done 'intentionally' as the character who unconsciously created this universe at the moment of Eruption based it on what he knew of superhumans - their powers come in categories.

Here is the concept character

Heru (Jonathan Kane)

It was the Era of Psions and Jonathan Kane was completely normal. In fact, he was so normal that his presence disrupted some of the more difficult uses of Noetic energy. This made hima social outcast for he had to be kept far away fromt he great gifts that Psions gave to the world.

He constantly tried tob e noticed, to effect the world and others, but always his nature came and caused problems. Still, despite this, he was brilliant and veyr useful in expanding human knoweldge in various esoteric ways. It was for this reason taht he had long been employed by the European University in Rome.

He was not much liked by the powers that be at his University. Still, he was quite social and very much the ring leader of the local Student Representation Committee. This made him quite connected to those around hi, but would later come back to change his life forever.

Due to his 'ability' (scientists labelled it a null-noetic zone) he was given a lot of free time to pursue his personal activities. It was for this reasons that he could be seen excersiing his physical body almsot everyday. To this end his body had reached almost to the pinnacle level that humans could reach.

One day his entire life would change, for both good and bad. He was excersing one morning when a bunch of Administration-paid thugs came up to him and began physically beating him up. It was at this point his nova atency Erupted, the bullies were blown up in a blast of force, and he was sent through time and space.

He was brought through time for a very good reason, though not one that was understood consciously by him. He knew that the worl dhated 'aberrants' and that Taint levels made it to hard to live safely on Earth. And so his powers unconsciously operated to take him somewhere where he could live safely, prosperly and for a long time.

Though he did not know it at the time, he had not actually gone through time, or at least not by itself, rather he had travelled into a different universe that mimiced Earth's past some 10,000 years ago. He arrived unconscious and was lucky to be found by a wandering sheppard and his son. the two men nursed this 'living god' back to health,a ll the while in awe at the man they found.

It took about a week for Jonathan to recover from his injuries and akwe from hsi deep healing sleep. When he did wake up he found himself having no problem with understanding what his two finders were saying. Due to this first experience with a 'god', these two men became Jonathan''s closest confidants and disciples.

After fully recovering, Jonathan (who now went by the name Heru) decided that he must know the world before he could act on it. The two males begged Lord Heru to accept hem and their service. To thsi end the three men began a pilgramage to see the world and all that was in it.

So, what do you guys think and any help and assistance on coming up with groupings for the other powers would be appreciated.

Heru

PS. Oh, one more thing. If my constant posting is getting irritating then tell me and I will slow it down. I understand that I can get a little excited when I am coming up with setting ideas.

PS2. Also, I want to say that its thanks to the Ancient Aberrant setting that this gem was thought up of. Though the settings will be completely different the concept of an alternate ancient world caused my mind to think. :)

Well, for several of those, our group puts them under shapeshifting, which I hope would fit as group power. (Suppresses urge to mutter about how bloody expensive it is)

Telekinesis, I'd just keep under the elemental Anima and Masteries, with a more general being Gravity, yes. For mental powers... well, there's a couple of ways to go. Mine, if you just wanted full group Powers, would be to Raise ESP and Domination to group powers, then let you have the others as techniques on those. Dividing them up as "Senses" vs "Inflicts".

Not a bad thought on the mental group powers ... you're thinking passive sensory vs active effects? Shapeshifting as one variation of life(self only) works, since that's good for armor, bodymorph, body mods, etc. To affect others, I think biomanipulation is necessary. You could work up an elemental mastery for it, but why would you? Having a setting with all group powers makes characters very flexible: no one shot wonders, since you can always try a technique you don't have yet.

Not a bad thought on the mental group powers ... you're thinking passive sensory vs active effects? Shapeshifting as one variation of life(self only) works, since that's good for armor, bodymorph, body mods, etc. To affect others, I think biomanipulation is necessary. You could work up an elemental mastery for it, but why would you? Having a setting with all group powers makes characters very flexible: no one shot wonders, since you can always try a technique you don't have yet.

Pretty much senses versus manipulation, yeah. Though throwing, say, Luck and Psychic Shield under ESP might offer a bit more balance. I'm not sure on the group powers myself, though good point on shapeshifting. I like using powers in theme, but that can be quite a bit different then the elemental themes.

Well, for several of those, our group puts them under shapeshifting, which I hope would fit as group power. (Suppresses urge to mutter about how bloody expensive it is)

Telekinesis, I'd just keep under the elemental Anima and Masteries, with a more general being Gravity, yes. For mental powers... well, there's a couple of ways to go. Mine, if you just wanted full group Powers, would be to Raise ESP and Domination to group powers, then let you have the others as techniques on those. Dividing them up as "Senses" vs "Inflicts".

That could work. Any power that modifies one's body in some fashion. So Bodymorph, Boost, Claws, Density Control, Shapeshift, Sizemorph. Maybe Absorption, Armor, Clone, Homunculus,

I was actually planning on making Armor a feature of Body Modification.

Maybe its just me thinking in a narrow focus, but I can't really see Telekinesis as a discipline of Elemental Anima. Though I could probably see that some techniques in Elemental Mastery and Gravity Control could be placed under a telekinetic heading. Its like the concept of turning Claws into a Quantum Sword that the Players Guide gives. Maybe I am missing something.

About the mental powers, that might work. Let me see how I could divide it:

Senses

-ESP

-Mirage

-Psychic Shield

-Telepathy

Inflict

-Disorient, Mental

-Strobe

-Domination

-Empathic Manipulation

-Hypnosis

-Mental Blast

Like I said in the other site, I really really wish I had access to Biomanipulation. It looks like the perfect for what I want.

I know that there is one thing I don't want to do - and that is make life control a subgroup of Elemental Anima/Mastery. I can't see it fitting and that grants a lot of control to elemental schools.

Yeah, very flexible but at the same time focused. I want it so that characters can do a lot in a narrow area, no one shot wonders. I really think broad powers are better than narrow ones. Plus, I would allow characters to create new techniques for their PCs that don't exist in the books. That way they can continually expand their knowledge and prowess.

RE: GP

I don't understand the issue, or what you're trying to do.

Jonathan Kane Erupted in the Trinity Era and then unconsciously traveled in time to the past and then created another universe. (Which means, theoretically, he has access to the Time Travel and Universe Creation powers but it will be a long way away from now before he can use them consciously). The reason that his subconscious did this was because he knew all novas in Trinity go insane, die incredibly quickly and are hunted down. He wanted a better life with no taint, a long life and peace.

His only experience with superhuman powers were those possessed by the Psions of the Psi Orders. Because of this his expectations on what how things are organized are slanted toward a system somewhat similar to the Aptitude system. To this end the quantum signature of this new universe modified itself so that the individual are only available as part of a higher grouping of powers. Thus my concept that all nova powers must exist under a very much broader suite power. Considering that this was already done for me in a lot of cases, its not that hard.

Of course, there are always exceptions which is why I am asking for assistance.

I hope this clarifies what I am trying to do.

Pretty much senses versus manipulation, yeah. Though throwing, say, Luck and Psychic Shield under ESP might offer a bit more balance. I'm not sure on the group powers myself, though good point on shapeshifting. I like using powers in theme, but that can be quite a bit different then the elemental themes.

I agree with Psychic Shield, but not Luck. I placed Luck under Temporal Manipulation because its basically the character reaching through time to see if something is safe or not. It would probably be a special aspect of Temporal Manipulation.

Yeah, elemental themes seem to be the most broad and highly subject to abuse. I know that I will be creating a list of elemental types that may be chosen freely without question. Any topic off that list, the player must first come to me and get my approval.

Topics would be:

Air

Earth

Fire

Water

Wood

Light

Darkness

Ice

Sound

Electricity

-and some others that I haven't thought of yet.

Except seeing through time is classic ESP. See, I'd also put Intuition and Premonition below ESP, for the same reason. Traditional Precognition just seems to suit as ESP, for me.

Your right, I forgot that. :) You first learn to sense around you, then through different spectrum, and then finally both forward and backward in time.

At the same time I see nothing wrong with the concept that a player of Temporal Manipulation being able to learn Intuition, Premonition and Precognition. There is nothing that says (nor will I enforce) the concept that powers must be unique in a suite.

Thanks for the idea, though. These powers will definitely be added to ESP. I also guess that ESP will be split off into its own broad grouping.

How about a mental Stun Attack?

Yes, this would work. I didn't think of it but I definitely will add this. Nice catch.

A mental stun attack could fit easily, dazing rather than damaging. As I posted over on Nprime, a telekinetic elemental anima can provide a Qbolt, force field, flight and classic TK (just look at Marvel Girl/Phoenix in X-Men).

I understand the concept, I just can't really see how telekinesis would fit under Elemental Anima/Mastery. Maybe I am missing something. Can you please explain.

With elemental anima/mastery, you take a theme and develop techniques based on that theme. Take the telekinesis theme: moving things with the mind. Your first technique might be classic telekinesis, a la the telekinesis power. Second might be flight, moving yourself thru the air. Third might be Q-bolt, a TK punch. Fourth might be force field, pushing bullets away. Once you have a theme, see what techniques you can develop inside the theme. Gravity control and magnetic mastery are built this way, since they do similar things with differing themes. If your GM likes your theme (element), and thinks your group power is built reasonably, OK. Your theme also affects your technique: magnetokinesis only works on metal, aerokinesis only works in atmosphere, etc.

With elemental anima/mastery, you take a theme and develop techniques based on that theme. Take the telekinesis theme: moving things with the mind. Your first technique might be classic telekinesis, a la the telekinesis power. Second might be flight, moving yourself thru the air. Third might be Q-bolt, a TK punch. Fourth might be force field, pushing bullets away. Once you have a theme, see what techniques you can develop inside the theme. Gravity control and magnetic mastery are built this way, since they do similar things with differing themes. If your GM likes your theme (element), and thinks your group power is built reasonably, OK. Your theme also affects your technique: magnetokinesis only works on metal, aerokinesis only works in atmosphere, etc.

Okay, I get it now, your using the rule framework and not the concept framework. Gottcha, so much is cleared up.

Then, yes, I agree the rules within Elemental Anima/Mastery could definitely be used as a way to create TK.

This is also a useful lesson on creating new suite powers and the techniques that go within them.

Warp and teleport could fit in gravity control, but a better fit might be spatial manipulation from the Teragen book. Some quantum powers could fit in a quantum elemental anima, ie leech/imprint/vampire, as those key off a target's quantum signature to steal/copy his powers or juice. Quantum construct creates a golem/creature out of quantum energies, so isn't quite the same concept.

Ah, you're making the abbies join trinity type schools.

The mentalist will *never* be able to learn non-mental powers.

So what schools do we have...

Mentalist (Telepathy, Domination, Mega-Per, Mega-Manip, etc)

Quantum Manipulator (Vampire, Leech, Mimic, etc)

Temporal (Precog, TM, Luck)

Shapeshift (Bodymods, Shapeshift, maybe Matter Cham)

Forces (Magnetic Manip, most elementals, Q-Bolt, Forcefield, Flight)

Spacial Manip (SM, Warp, Teleport)

Gravity Manip (Mega-Strength, Gravity Manip)

Since CyberK would be really weak by itself, I suggest making it part of Mentalist

I suggest limiting every school to two mega-stats.

You could add magnetic and electrical elementals to cyberkinetics to round it into a bigger power group. I hadn't thought about making it like a school or order. That would give it more structure, but it would also be more restrictive: why can't my telepath study gravity control?! (whine). ::rolleyes I think I'll mull this over a bit. Nice one, Alex Green. ::smile

You could add magnetic and electrical elementals to cyberkinetics to round it into a bigger power group.
Too big. Electrical can fly, throw q-bolts, storms, etc. CyberK is a very soft power.
I hadn't thought about making it like a school or order. That would give it more structure, but it would also be more restrictive: why can't my telepath study gravity control?! (whine). ::rolleyes I think I'll mull this over a bit. Nice one, Alex Green. ::smile
Thank you.

I'll respond to individual points somewhat later (I am extremely busy with school work), but I wanted to say something about the school concept.

Yes, the setting will divide the power areas into schools. But no, a nova won't be limited to just one particular school.

This means that, if a player spends the points, a nova mentalist may in fact have access to gravity power. He would have to choose whether he is a gravitic mentalist ore a mentalist gravitic. What I mean is he would have to choose which is his core ability - is the gravity control an aspect of his mental powers, or is his mental powers an aspect of his control over gravity.

Both answers would work if the fluff created by the player makes sense.

Archived