Aberrant RPG - Time Travel

metaphysician

I pretty much outlaw Time Travel in my campaigns. Temporal Manipulation is fine, but I don't need PCs traveling back in time and killing off Divis Mal's ancestors.

I always wondered how Time Travel would work in regards to the Venezuelan Phenomenon. Does the wave prevent people from travelling beyond August 2122? I guess if your campaign ignored Trinity it wouldn't, but the wave was focused on quantum as well as psi, so...figures it would have some kinda effect...

And if that's so, would the Hammersmith Wave have the same effect, being almost the same as the VP? That way no one could travel before the Inspired Era. Makes you think.

Well, there's a difference between being able to see through something, and being able to walk through something. My inclination is to say it makes travel more difficult, *especially* proximate to the event itself, but it doesn't really prevent it.

Though, there has never been mention of N-Day interferring with postcognition, so I have to wonder whether its only telluric events, and not quantum or psi specific ones, that interfere. . .

Aberrant and Trinity were made by different teams, and the Trinity developers disagreed with stuff presented in Aberrant (#1 disagreement: nova power levels). So I'm not so sure there was much communication between them, but I don't know.

Also, I'm not sure Bates knew about the Venezuelan Phenomenon, as that seems to have been a Baugh thing (he knew about the date of the event, but might have had different ideas for it than Baugh). When I e-mailed Bates, he didn't seem to know that the Inspired were back, and he didn't know what Superiors were, so I can't say he had that much planned out.

All this is to say that I'm pretty sure the VP wasn't planned out ahead of time, despite the forshadowing in Luna Rising.

If I ever did allow Time Travel, it would be in the hands of an NPC. If you ask me, it should be a level 6 power...

*snort* You'd hate Ancient Aberrant then. Time Travel is a level *4* power, and is possible via special equipment or circumstances in other ways as well even at lower levels.

Of course, for the level 4 version, you don't just teleport from one time to another; you exit time, and have to travel through the white void outside of time/space to get to where and when you want to go, with all the attendant risks. . .

I had an NPC nova-team go back and save Slider. This screwed up the timeline bad enough that the PC's had to go back to make sure that she was killed. Somehow Chiraben got injured, and was unable to follow-up on the assassination.

Suffice to say, they had to allow for Chiraben's issues, and softened up security for him (there was no way one camera was going to send back accurate data (it had been bent the wrong way, put in a static time bubble, and a blacklight sphere was in front of it, and a separate data stream replicating what it should have seen).

FR

• 1 year later...

I am considering using an NPC with Time Travel against my occasional-Saturday group. I'm actually going to make it the future version of one of the PCs, trying to stop them from uncovering the Utopia sterility virus in 2000 (which will push the Aberrant War from the 2030's to the 2050's). This way, I can hopefully abuse him to Stop Time the PCs and shuffle them forward from 1999 up to probably 2005 or so.

Hmm, only thing I'd say is, be careful not to let this turn into a "the PCs are helpless" scenario. At the very least, the PCs should have the opportunity to figure out what this mysterious figure's motives are, eventually.
Oh, he'll be a one-shot villain - the time stop is mostly to bump them forward a few years so they have access to more/different stuff (like Eufiber). I was planning on having the "new" time kill him off anyway - call it a last "Oops" moment. ::happy

Archived