Aberrant RPG - Dr Worm and the Teragen

Centipede

This has been brewing for some time. I just can't figure out how Dr Worm's philosophy is different from the mainstream Teragen idea.

Can anyone answer me this?

I get the impression from the Aberrants Expose book that there is supposed to be a pretty obvious difference, but I don't see it.

And on the Teragen, exactly what does it take to be able to call one self a Terat? The Terragen book is heavy on the word 'poseur' and I can see how many novas could earn that name, but it seems likely to me that a lot of the so-called poseurs have a better claim to being a terat than the Confederate, Tarik or Turncoat (although I can accept that the Confederate and Tarik may have the others fooled.)

What I'm aiming at is, is there (in your opinion) any need for a character who wants to call himself a Terat to actually be accepted by any other part of it? Since the Teragen does not take responsibility for the actions of another nova, I really don't see why it would be necessary.

Calling yourself a Terat and doing something for the cause seems to get you into the club.

Note, though, that many different Terats have different ideas about what the Teragen is. Certainly, the Primacy, Nova Vigilance, and the the Radical Harvesters see it as a Political Organization.

That novas should DO SOMETHING.

The Cult of Mal and the Harvesters see it as an internal organization for novas.

Both the Casablancas and the Pandemonium see it as an umbrella group that allows differing views.

Tariq kinda misses the boat, unless in leaving the Teragen, he actually manages to screw it over. He is just and individual with a Plan.

Dr. Worm isn't a terat because he doesn't call himself one.

Centipede,

There probably isn't a need to be accepted by other Terats just to publically proclaim your views. OOC this is where you'd have "Terats" that have a Teragen allegience but no backing.

So it isn't necessary but there are lots of things that are good even if they aren't necessary. Having members of the Teragen willing to give you a phone call when they hear some nasty rumors about hitmen and assassins is probably a good thing. Of course you're expected to do the same. Beyond that Jager is makes a very good point. What you're expected to do for other Terats gets filtered through the views of the factions you call buddies.

I expect that Dr. Worm has caught Utopia's view of the Teragen, IC. As a result, he feels that the Teragen that he sees is not worth his time. The problem with human perceptions, really.

OOC, I expect that since Exposé: Aberrants was brought out before the Teragen book, the actual philosophy of the Terats tooks a swan dive sometime between the two books.

But hey, when/if the Aberrants and Terats form an alliance, he could very well join the Terats. Talking to a member of a stereotype tends to redefine your own...

Quote:
Originally posted by Bastian:
The problem would be, would other terats aid them, or expect aid from them?
I'd guess there would be a little more discretion involved for the people that are public but not members of a faction. And how helpful the aid varies with the situation and the novas involved.

I remember an email from Orzaiz to a terat that offered good advice about which countries might make good or bad places to hide from Utopia reprisals but ended with a note that it was her own fault for acting against Utopia before she was ready. The impression I got was that he had helped her but she was on her own afterwards. That doesn't mean Geryon wouldn't help her in his own way though. Or that he wouldn't tell her she could handle it alone (from his point of view) and didn't need help from him. Factions have inclinations and tendencies but it still comes down to personal views and bias.

Doc Worm's so called difference is "personal responsibility". Presumably that means that Novas are fundamentally human (because Worm applies the same thing to baselines) and shouldn't run around ripping off basline mayor's heads because it isn't in their own best interests.

I've talked to philosophy majors before and this sort of discussion normally goes that Geryon shouldn't have killed him in the first place (if the world were perfect then people would be perfect... or is that vise versa?)

• 3 weeks later...

I think the major difference between The Worm's view & the Teragen' view is nova supremacy. All Terats seem to believe this & some (like Orzaiz) hide from the public. The Worm seems to have a more balanced view IMHO.

Archived