Trinity RPG - Trinity Stalwarts

jsnead

Here are my own rules for creating Stalwarts in Trinity, that are designed to create the new Stalwarts created by the Venezuela Phenomena. My own view is that this event, like the Hammersmith Incident produced energies that activated all of the dormant traits in humanity. Most humans have none, but some have psychic latency, others have the potential to become novas of various power levels, and some can become daredevils, who I see as individuals who use neither quantum nor psi, but who are instead simply enchanced in their minds and bodies.

Since the energies released by the Venezuela Phenomena are far less powerful or focused than those of either a Prometheus Chamber or those Divis Mal released when he caused the Galatea explosion, the new Stalwarts created use very small amounts of Quantum and so lack both a Quantum score and all of the perceptible "taint" associated with novas and aberrants.

In any case, these rules are heavily kit-bashed and draw on text from Adventure!, Aberrant, and Trinity. Here they are, comments welcome:

Creating Modern Stalwart Characters

Characters are generated using the rules for creating normal characters on page 169 of the main Trinity rulebook, with the following differences:

Character Creation Table

This chart covers the character-creation process in short form; refer to the accompanying sections for details. Available points are listed where relevant.

Step One: Concept (p. 163-165 Trinity Rulebook)

Choose Origin, Nature and Allegiance

Step Two: Select Attributes

Choose primary Attributes (6 points)

Choose secondary Attributes (4 points)

Choose tertiary Attributes (3 points)

Step Three: Select Abilities

Choose desired Abilities (23 points)

Do not place more than 3 dots in any Ability.

Add three dots in both Endurance and Resistance.

No Ability should exceed 5 dots before Bonus or Transformation Points are spent.

Calculate skill totals.

Step Four: Advantages

Choose desired Physical, Mental and Social Merits (5 points) Code of Honor, True Love and Law Enforcement Powers cannot be chosen.

Choose desired Backgrounds (6 points)

Spend 12 Transformation Points

Transformation Points

Trait Cost per dot

2 Attribute dots (max. 5 in Trait) 1

5 Ability dots (max. 5 in Trait) 1

Ability mastery (max. three Abilities) 1

Attribute Mastery (maximum of 7 in one Attribute) 1

4 Background dots (max. 5 in Trait) 1

2 Willpower dots (max. 10 in Trait) 1

4 points in allowed Physical, Mental, or Social Merits

1-point power 1

2-point power 2

3-point power 3

A character must already have five points in an Ability to purchase Ability mastery and five points in an Attribute to purchase one or two dots of Attribute Mastery.

Step Five: Finishing Touches

Record initial Willpower (3), Initiative (Dexterity + Wits), movement (walk Dex + 2 m, run Dex + 12 m, sprint [Dex x 3] + 20 m)

Spend bonus points (15 points)

Bonus Points

Trait Cost per dot

Attribute 5

Ability (1-5 dots) 2

Ability (6th dot) 4

Specialties (max. three per Ability) 1

Background 1

Willpower 2

Initiative 1

Experience Costs

Once experience is doled out, players can spend it in any of the following areas. Costs vary depending on the Trait involved. Also, increasing Traits or buying new ones must be roleplayed before spending any points (the roleplaying is what's important, after all).

Trait Increase Cost

Attribute current rating x 4

Ability current rating x 2

Willpower current rating

Background current rating x 2

Initiative current rating

New Trait Cost

Ability 3

specialty (max. three per Ability) 1

Ability Mastery (max. three total) 8

Attribute Mastery (either 6 or 7 dots) 20

Background 2

Merit 3 x cost

1-point power 6

2-point power 9

3-point power 12

Step Four: Advantages: Stalwarts all begin play with a Willpower of 3, 15 Bonus Points, and a Psi of 1. They can never raise their Psi above 1, and cannot take any of the Noetic Merits from the Trinity Players Guide, even those that are normally open to non-Psions. They also cannot buy any Aptitudes or Modes. Dunking Stalwarts in a Prometheus Chamber would cause them to die a slow and agonizing death. Finally, all Stalwarts automatically possess the Noetic Merit Psi Sink.

Stalwarts also have a number of innate advantages. They automatically heal all forms of damage four times faster than normal recovery times (page 253 of the Trinity rule book). This healing time bonus is cumulative with to any similar bonuses provided by medical treatment. Regardless of how much healing is improved, each level of Bashing damage takes at least 15 minutes to heal, and each level of Lethal Damage takes at least three hours to heal. Studies have also shown that Stalwarts age approximately half a fast as normal humans.

Also, Stalwarts (like Nihonjin Superiors) can purchase additional Physical and Mental Merits with Experience Points. The cost of such Merits in Experience Points is three times their cost in Bonus Points. Stalwarts cannot purchase the Code of Honor or the True Love Merits with experience points, but they also purchase the Social Merits Animal Magnetism, Enchanting Voice, and Natural Leader Merits. In addition, Stalwarts can gain the Speed Reading, or Time Sense Merits from the Aberrant Players Guide. Stalwarts can also use Transformation Points to purchase any of thee Merits (as a cost of 1 TP for every 4 points of Merits).

Stalwart Powers

Stalwarts can also purchase any of the following powers with either Transformation Points or Experience Points.

1-Point Powers

Tough: The character gains an innate Lethal Soak equal to half her Stamina (round down)

2-Point Powers

Durable: The character gains an innate Lethal Soak equal to her Stamina.

Gadgeteer: (Heroic Knack from Adventure!)

Jack of All Tongues: (Heroic Knack from Adventure!)

3-Point Powers

Resilient: The character gains +3 to her Bashing Soak and also gains a Lethal Soak equal to half her Stamina (round down) +3.

Improved Metabolism: (a combination of the Dynamic Knacks Man For All Seasons & Optimized Metabolism from Adventure! )

Attribute Enhancements: The following Mega-Attribute Enhancements from Aberrant are available as 3-point Stalwart Powers. In all cases, these abilities may be used freely and have no quantum (or any other) cost to use, even if the description specifies a cost. The Stalwart must have a 5 or better in any Attribute that she purchases an Enhancement for:

Note: Each Enhancement can only be purchased once, regardless of what the description in Aberrant states.

Strength: Crush

Dexterity: Accuracy, Physical Prodigy, Catfooted

Stamina: Regeneration (Heal Lethal damage at a rate of one Health Level/hour and Bashing damage at a rate of one Health Level/10 minutes)

Perception: Blindfighting, Bloodhound

Intelligence: Analyze Weakness, Enhanced Memory, Mental Prodigy (any)

Wits: Artistic Genius, Enhanced Initiative, Lie Detector, Multitasking, Synergy

Appearance: Appearance Alteration, Copycat, First Impression, Mr. Nobody

Manipulation: Hypnotic Gaze, The Voice

Charisma: Commanding Presence, Seductive

Okay, a rough draft of the sections in the Trinity: Awaiting Inspiration (working title, but Trinity: AI rolls nicely off the tongue).

I'm hoping for the length to be slightly less than a TFR. The content will be largely from a out-of-game (game mechanic) point of view with in-game setting material (probably as separate panels).

Introduction

- Quick overview of the Inspired in Adventure!, their history through the Nova age and current status in 2120's.

Chapter One: Inspiration

- A discussion on the relationship between Psi, Quantum and Telluric energy.

- The effects of the Hammersmith wave, Divis Mal's Quantum wave and Process 418.

- Who is Inspired and why they do not become psiads and Novas (and vice versa).

- Inspiration and Psi Latency.

- Inspired and Biotech.

Chapter Two: Rules

- Updating the Psychic, Dynamic and Heroic knacks in Adventure! to the Trinity setting.

- Updating the Ability Mastery rules to the Trinity setting.

- New Knacks for each Inspired type.

- Revovating the Dramatic Editing rules.

- Background Enhancements.

- Super Science: biotechnology and hardtech.

Chapter Three: Dramatis Personae

- Noteable Inspired in the Trinity Era (a la The President).

- Where is Max Mercer these days?

- Jake Danger, Aberrant Hunter: Fiction... or fact?

JC

Code of Honor, True Love and Law Enforcement Powers cannot be chosen.

Ok, since I have very little knowledge of Adventure!, could you tell me why this is so? It sounds interesting. Other than that, these rules look good. I may use them at some point in the future when my players have thought that there are no more secrets to learn in the game. ::lol

Okay, a rough draft of the sections in the Trinity: Awaiting Inspiration (working title, but Trinity: AI rolls nicely off the tongue).

Very nice. I approve. ::thumbup1

I'm hoping for the length to be slightly less than a TFR. The content will be largely from a out-of-game (game mechanic) point of view with in-game setting material (probably as separate panels).

Given your outline, I'm very interested in seeing this. I plan to have Process 418 figure very prominantly in the "fate of mankind", dealing with human evolution, etc. in my game. I also plan to have ol' Max be involved, but I know so little about the guy. Looking forward to it. ::smile

Okay, time for an update.

- A discussion on the relationship between Psi, Quantum and Telluric energy. DONE

- The effects of the Hammersmith wave, Divis Mal's Quantum wave and Process 418. DONE

- Who is Inspired and why they do not become psiads and Novas (and vice versa). DONE

- Inspiration and Psi Latency. DONE

- Inspired and Biotech. DONE

As you can see, I've completed the first draft of Chapter One. I will post a link to it shortly.

JC

Ok, since I have very little knowledge of Adventure!, could you tell me why this is so? It sounds interesting. Other than that, these rules look good. I may use them at some point in the future when my players have thought that there are no more secrets to learn in the game.
Merits like Code of Honor, True Love and Law Enforcement Powers cannot be chosen, because the point is that becoming a Stalwart enhances the individual's mind and body - they therefore gain Merits and other abilities that represent these sorts of internal changes (becoming smarter, more charismatic, tougher, better at languages), but becoming a Stalwart does not automatically give the PC Merits that improve their social status or position or the connections with others.

Hi All,

Just another update on the story so far.

- A discussion on the relationship between Psi, Quantum and Telluric energy. DONE

- The effects of the Hammersmith wave, Divis Mal's Quantum wave and Process 418. DONE

- Who is Inspired and why they do not become psiads and Novas (and vice versa). DONE

- Inspiration and Psi Latency. DONE

- Inspired and Biotech. DONE

Chapter Two: Rules

- Updating the Psychic, Dynamic and Heroic knacks in Adventure! to the Trinity setting. DONE

Here is a link to the latest version of Trinity: AI.

Trinity: Awaiting Inspiration Chapter 1 - 2

All the text and the cover page have been done by me, but the interior borders have been borrowed and adapted from India Undergound. I don't know who exactly was responsible for the borders on InUn, so I've credited the entire interior layout team of InUn (if anyone knows give me shout and I'll edit).

I'm hoping that this will stimulate some interest and people will volunteer to help. Writers and artists are all very welcome.

Comments and critique?

Regards,

JC

Sounds good, but when I click the link, it says "document not found." ::sad

Merits like Code of Honor, True Love and Law Enforcement Powers cannot be chosen, because the point is that becoming a Stalwart enhances the individual's mind and body - they therefore gain Merits and other abilities that represent these sorts of internal changes (becoming smarter, more charismatic, tougher, better at languages), but becoming a Stalwart does not automatically give the PC Merits that improve their social status or position or the connections with others.

Ah yes, makes perfect sense when you put it that way. Thanks. ::smile

Okay, just realised why it's not working. I'm so used to using Yahoo, that I tend to forget that not everyone else does. You'll need a Yahoo account (which is free to do and only takes a couple of minutes) to access the address below (it's a Yahoo Group).

Unfortunately you need to join the Group (Oldgloryrpgs) to access the files, I am the Group owner/moderator (and currently the only member) but have no control over this, but you can always cancel your membership if you don't want it afterwards. Sorry it's so awkward, but I promise its worth it! ::blink

Oldgloryrpgs

This is where I keep my files. I don't have a webpage at the moment so this is the only place I can store the pdf. Just download the file (Trinity: AI). (feel free to browse some of my other work)

JC

Unfortunately you need to join the Group (Oldgloryrpgs) to access the files, I am the Group owner/moderator (and currently the only member) but have no control over this, but you can always cancel your membership if you don't want it afterwards. Sorry it's so awkward, but I promise its worth it!

It's been a while since I ran a group there (it wasn't successful either), but I seem to recall that you could choose to make things like files accessable to the public if you wanted. At least you could at one time.

From Awaiting Inspiration:

Some of the skills in Adventure are either

not present in Trinity (such as Archery) or

are listed under a different Attribute (such as

Pilot).

They're not "skills" they're "Abilities." I'm amazed at how many people call Abilities skills. And then people confuse the words Mode and Aptitude just as often. Anyways, just correcting the mistake. Abilities, not skills.

Good work so far, even if I disagree on your interpretation of Telluric energy.

Good work so far...

Thanks

They're not "skills" they're "Abilities." I'm amazed at how many people call Abilities skills. And then people confuse the words Mode and Aptitude just as often. Anyways, just correcting the mistake. Abilities, not skills.

Okay, easy error to make and I'll correct it, but I'd prefer feedback on the content as well if possible (this is just the draft version after all!)

...even if I disagree on your interpretation of Telluric energy.

I don't suppose you could be a tad more specific?

What part of the explanation of telluric energy do you not like? What is your take on it and how would you have handled it?

I would like this project to be community project, as you can see I've put quite a lot of work into it, but I'm perfectly happy to continue on my own (but if people contribute and help me develop it, the end product will be of higher quality).

Regards,

JC

Trinity: Awaiting Inspiration

It's just that I've always been under the impression that Telluric energy was a catch-all term for both of what we popularly call Psi and Quantum energy. The technology of the times (1920s) being as inferior as it was, it could only detect them both as one energy form (called Subquantum energy I believe?), so they assumed it was one form of energy, and they called it Telluric energy or Z-Waves or whathaveyou. I was always under the impression that Telluric energy didn't actually exist, and it was a case of misinterpretted (but not entirely wrong) science.

I might be wrong. To be honest, Adventure! is a weak point of mine, as is the science behind the Aeonverse.

And if Telluric energy was real, the Quantakinetics may have stumbled upon it, given the nature of their abilities...hmm, there's an idea for your book, maybe?

In the end, its all a confusing mess that will never feel "right", because the Inspired were created with 1920s pulp action in mind, and the very nature of Inspiration meshes well with the 1920s and pulp stories. Trying to apply it logically to 2120s Trinity is like trying to fit a square peg in a triangular hole. It doesn't fit unless you change it's shape a bit, and even then, it was never meant to be there.

The Venezuelan Phenomenon was a good twist, but it has really screwed things up, at least IMO. Going out on a limb here...it reminds me of like X-Men #25. It was a great issue of the X-Men; it was a climactic battle with Magneto that everyone had been waiting for, and in the end Magneto was put into a coma by Professor X and Wolverine had his adamantium removed. It was a great story, but where do you go after that? Magneto was in a coma, and Wolverine had no adamantium (and for a while there, he was a noseless beast!). The stories afterwards suffered because of it.

Like the the Venezuelan Phenomenon...a great twist to a great story. It had some build-up in Luna Rising and the base Trinity sourcebook and then they followed through. But where do you go after that? Things are very confusing now, probably more so than they needed to be. Things that normally wouldn't be in Trinity are added in, and they're confusing the hell not only out of the characters in Trinity, but the players and Storytellers too.

This has barely anything to do with Awaiting Inspiration...just me ranting I suppose. I don't envy you at all for taking on this project, since it would just confuse and aggravate me to death.

Question: Are you going to create any new Knacks? Perhaps some that deal directly with the technologically advanced setting of Trinity? That could help the Inspired fit in better for sure.

Edit: As for the Abilities/skills thing, don't fret...your not the only one. I can't remember which, but there's a fanmade Trinity e-book out there that does the same mistake several times.

I was always under the impression that Telluric energy didn't actually exist, and it was a case of misinterpretted (but not entirely wrong) science.

Yes, I agree that the explanations of the "science" behind the Trinity universe is interpreted in different ages. For example, even the advanced noetic science of the 2120's has little concept that Quantum and Taint are quite different.

It's just that I've always been under the impression that Telluric energy was a catch-all term for both of what we popularly call Psi and Quantum energy.

Yes, it is to a certain extent, but the neither Quantum nor Psi can explain the highly unusual properties of Telluric energy (such as it not being chronologically fixed i.e. it moves forwards and backwards in time; so you get Hollow Earths, dinosaurs in the swamps, vampires in Europe, intelligent gorillas, and so on that are new creations but suddenly that have pasts dating back for centuries.)

My take is that Telluric energy is not a seperate form of particle or wave from Quantum and Psi, but is in fact the force generated by the interaction and opposition between the two. That is why it has so much in common with both Psi and Quantum, but has properties that neither of those other two normally have (such as the reality bending aspects).

Question: Are you going to create any new Knacks? Perhaps some that deal directly with the technologically advanced setting of Trinity? That could help the Inspired fit in better for sure.

I've included some new knacks in the latest revision to Trinity: AI, but they have been adapted from the new knacks I was going to include in an Adventure! sourcebook that I was previously working on. So they are not particularly Trinity specific, but I'm always open to suggestions.

Regards,

JC

• 1 month later...

Stalwarts all begin play with a...Psi of 1. They can never raise their Psi above 1, and cannot take any of the Noetic Merits from the Trinity Players Guide, even those that are normally open to non-Psions. They also cannot buy any Aptitudes or Modes. Dunking Stalwarts in a Prometheus Chamber would cause them to die a slow and agonizing death. Finally, all Stalwarts automatically possess the Noetic Merit Psi Sink.

I just now re-read this. Is it alright for a Stalwart to have a Psi score? Shouldn't they have a Quantum score instead? Stalwarts manipulate Quantum energy after all, and you can't manipulate both (unless you're a Quantakinetic or something else). Giving them a permanent Psi of 1 is like giving a Mesmerist a permanent Quantum of 1.

Or am I missing some kind of logic here? I get confused with Adventure! era stuff o_O

I just now re-read this. Is it alright for a Stalwart to have a Psi score? Shouldn't they have a Quantum score instead? Stalwarts manipulate Quantum energy after all, and you can't manipulate both (unless you're a Quantakinetic or something else). Giving them a permanent Psi of 1 is like giving a Mesmerist a permanent Quantum of 1.

All living things have a Psi of 1, by virtue of having a Noetic template, the only exceptions are Novas/Aberrants who (as I see it at least) have such a strong connection to Quantum that it over-writes their Noetic template and thus removes their Psi score. My idea with the Trinity-era Stalwarts was that their connection to Quantum energies was sufficiently low that it didn't interfere with their innate and basic Psi/Neotic template. Does not mean that these Stalwarts can manipulation noetic energies, they have no more and no less psi than any other non-latant normal.
Like the the Venezuelan Phenomenon...a great twist to a great story. It had some build-up in Luna Rising and the base Trinity sourcebook and then they followed through. But where do you go after that? Things are very confusing now, probably more so than they needed to be. Things that normally wouldn't be in Trinity are added in, and they're confusing the hell not only out of the characters in Trinity, but the players and Storytellers too.
At this point, you can now have lots of stories about psychomorphs (ie spontaneously created, non-tanked Psions) and about the world dealing with the emergence of the new Stalwarts and Daredevils. Throw in the Nihonjin Novas and Superiors, and you have a very rich and complex setting that is suddenly no longer a comple division between heroic Psions and evil, mutated Aberrants.

All living things have a Psi of 1, by virtue of having a Noetic template, the only exceptions are Novas/Aberrants who (as I see it at least) have such a strong connection to Quantum that it over-writes their Noetic template and thus removes their Psi score.

More or less. Novas do have a Psi score, its just that their Quantum flowing through their M-R Node suppresses it to the point of undetectibility; effectively they have a Psi score of 0.

Or am I missing some kind of logic here? I get confused with Adventure! era stuff o_O

Yes, this whole area is a bit confusing. I think that it is fair to give Stalwarts an effective Quantum of 1 if you so choose (any higher than 1 and they would be classed as Novas) but they will still have Psi 1 because their Quantum is simply not strong enough to suppress their Psi completely. Despite having Psi 1, they would not be able to actively use that Psi score (anymore than a neutral could) and would generally rely on their Quantum to power their abilities.

On a related note, using Quantum for Stalwarts, or Psi for Mesmerists, is not really the best way to run Inspired characters in terms of mechanics. The Adventure! rules are perfect, with a few minor alterations, for the Trinity setting. Using Inspiration points, and facets, works perfectly well. The problem with the Trinity era is that we want a Grand Unified Rule System that is both elegant and efficient, but while all three games work perfectly well on their own, they have a bit of trouble cooexisting with each other even though they are set in the same universe (this is the same problem that Vampire, Werewolf, Mage et al had in the Old WOD).

It is for this reason that I have been working on Trinity: Awaiting Inspiration to create a set of rules that will allow Inspired to work in Trinity without having too much problems trying to justify exactly how they work. We all have different views on how the various games interact, which is fine, but nevertheless the systems were never really designed to work side by side. No matter what we decide to do in our own games, we are still trying to hammer the square peg into the round hole; it might work, but it doesn't truly fit.

NB: Trinity: AI is still undergoing revisions and rewrites, hopefully will be in a decent draft form in a month or two (working on my own is slow going...).

Regards,

JC

http://www.geocities.com/dannybladeuk/Oldg...l?1138722718809

Let me just say that I am certainly excited about the possibilities persented here by all this, so I'll just chime in my two bits. I'm a Trinity ST with a passing interest in Adventure and Aberrant, mostly in how they may fit into our game. Hence, what I'd be looking for is rules I can use that will fit in; not necessarily a "grand unified system", but just something I can use that doesn't really require me to buy those games (although I realize that they would help). I heard somewhere (I forget at the moment) someone proposed having two or more possible systems included, perhaps a Trinity only one, and then some conversion stuff for those with the other game books. I think that'd be the most satisfying to most people, although yes, a bit more work. Still, if people can't agree on a "one true way", then I say have your cake and eat it too, by having two cakes; i.e. all versions. Choice is good.

Anyway, just my 2 yuan. ::smile

More or less. Novas do have a Psi score, its just that their Quantum flowing through their M-R Node suppresses it to the point of undetectibility; effectively they have a Psi score of 0.

You realize you're arguing with a guy who wrote for Asia Ascendant, Aberrant Worldwide I, Aberrant Year One, Trinity Players Guide, Luna Rising, Shattered Europe, TFR: Extrasolar Colonies, and the Trinity Tech Manual, right? ;)

You realize you're arguing with a guy who wrote for Asia Ascendant, Aberrant Worldwide I, Aberrant Year One, Trinity Players Guide, Luna Rising, Shattered Europe, TFR: Extrasolar Colonies, and the Trinity Tech Manual, right? ;)

I wasn't aware that Blue Thunder or jsnead was such an esteemed member of the forums. Yay you Blue Thunder/jsnead!

I'm fairly sure that it is within canon that the Psi score is suppressed in novas (I'll have a look for page numbers to try and see...) but I sould be wrong.... or is this another one of these "legendary" chats with the developers again? I'm just going on what I've read in the ACTUAL books I have read. Again, I could be wrong and if so, I will bow to your greater wisdom on these matters.

Ian, as an aside, and please don't take this the wrong way, but you are very quick to jump in with critisism of what anyone says (or maybe just me), but when asked for some honest input, critique and opinion, you are no-where to be found. Again, maybe it's just me...

Kind Regards,

JC

Fair enough. jsnead, whomever you are in reality, two thumbs way, way up! ::thumbup

I realise that my view of Trinity pseudoscience is apparently so flawed, but they are my opinions. If you want to debate the merits and flaws of them, I will gladly engage in such a debate; my mind is not so closed that I cannot change my mind. In fact, a number of ideas that I had for Stalwarts and Mesmerists in Trinity: AI have recently been altered somewhat by the arguments I have both read and engaged in on these forums. However, when I asked for help with Trinity: AI, all I got was a diddly squat from those who so vehemently opposed me. I wanted to, I still want to, create a COMMUNITY project for bringing Inspired into the Trinity era rather than me just trying to do everything myself. By making it a community project I wanted to bring together many of the varying ideas expressed on these forums into a coherent, OPTIONAL, ebook.

I've been working under the assumption that, Blue Thunder aside (who has at least commented and given some feedback), that everyone has been working under the premise of "if I haven't got anything useful to contribute, I will say nothing". If so, then so be it. I imagine that those same people will rip Trinity: AI apart in their reviews when it is completed, but refuse to even acknowledge it's existence while they have the opportunity to actually add their two cents. I even asked for a sub Thread in the current projects section, but so far I have heard diddly squat from the Admins. If I were a noob to the forums, as opposed to one of the longest serving members, I might expect that (although these forums, and we as a community, have always prided themselves on their acceptance of new people and ideas).

Again, perhaps its just me...

If anyone has anything constructive to add, I'm not a hard person to get hold of.

Regards,

JC

In Asia Ascendant, they have a character with both a Psi and Quantum score, who is arguably a stalwart. Psions and most normal people don't have a Quantum score, just as novas don't have a Psi score. However, those with some kind of Taint disease have at least one dot of both, and any Inspired also have both (as they manipulate Telluric energies, which combines quantum and psionic forces, it would be hard to argue that they wouldn't show up to either).

FR

In Asia Ascendant, they have a character with both a Psi and Quantum score, who is arguably a stalwart.

If you mean Ming Chamanan, she has a base Psi of 1, but no Quantum score at all. I saw her much more as a Daredevil or (not vatted) Superior than as a Stalwart.

Yeah, she was a daredevil I thought as well.

And do Inspired really manipulate both? I've never actually played it (though I own it), but I thought that only Stalwarts could manipulate Quantum and only Mesmerists could manipulate Psi and they couldn't mix the two between them. So a Mesmerist cannot use Quantum energy. That was how I interpretted it anyway.

I still don't underatand this whole "telluric energy" thing completely, but I'm not sure I'm supposed to either.

In Asia Ascendant, they have a character with both a Psi and Quantum score, who is arguably a stalwart. Psions and most normal people don't have a Quantum score, just as novas don't have a Psi score. However, those with some kind of Taint disease have at least one dot of both, and any Inspired also have both (as they manipulate Telluric energies, which combines quantum and psionic forces, it would be hard to argue that they wouldn't show up to either).

FR

Then that's probably not to whom I was referring...'Course, I probably got the books wrong as well...

Blue Thunder: As Stalwarts don't technically manipulate and neither do Mesmerist manipulate Psi, that's not quite right. They manipulate telluric energies, which combine Psi and Quantum...

FR

I wasn't aware that Blue Thunder or jsnead was such an esteemed member of the forums. Yay you Blue Thunder/jsnead!

John Snead's (mostly) complete list of RPG work can be seen here.

Ian, as an aside, and please don't take this the wrong way, but you are very quick to jump in with critisism of what anyone says (or maybe just me), but when asked for some honest input, critique and opinion, you are no-where to be found. Again, maybe it's just me...

Kind Regards,

JC

It's not intentional. I merely write my two cents when I see something I can add to. In this case, I was pointing out that you were arguing Trinity canon with someone who helped write a good chunk of that canon. I'm not denigrating you, your opinions, or your work -- your interpretation is as valid as anyone else's, and for your own purposes is the only one that should matter. Again, in this specific instance, I ended my post with a wink. I wasn't coming down on you, but merely giving you a little *nudge nudge*.

Insofar as not contributing, I don't recall being specifically asked for anything. I don't read the forums too often, so I could have missed something, but in most conversations here, usually others have jumped in with comments or ideas before I get a chance. Often their posts would put mine to shame anyhow.

If people have trouble with the tone of my posts, I will certainly refrain from posting here. I don't want to cheese anyone off further.

Ian, I would like to apologise for the tone of my own posts. It was not called for (I was having a bad day and felt the need to vent, which was very wrong of me) and in fact your contributions to the various arguments on these here forums are very much appreciated. In fact they have inspired (pardon the pun) me to actually rethink some of my ideas for Trinity: AI. Keep posting over here, it's good to have these debates and arguments.

While I refer to Telluric energy throughout Trinity: AI, and indeed on these forums, in reality, Telluric energy and Inspiration are RULE MECHANICS rather than an actual form of energy. As I see it, at low levels Psi and Quantum are able to exist in the same person (although Stalwarts use Quantum, and Mesmerists Psi) but Inspiration is a useful rule mechanic for Inspired abilities. Personally I think it is better to use the Inspiration rule system for Inspired characters rather than trying to stretch Psi rules or Quantum powers to fit them.

Insofar as not contributing, I don't recall being specifically asked for anything. I don't read the forums too often, so I could have missed something, but in most conversations here, usually others have jumped in with comments or ideas before I get a chance. Often their posts would put mine to shame anyhow.

Okay I may not have been as clear about my asking for help as I would have liked.

Here goes: Please, please, please if anyone has any ideas for Trinity: AI (even if they contradict some of the ideas that I have put forward) then feel free to post them. I would really like to have this project ready in about six to eight weeks and have it uploaded onto this site's download section. I will update the latest version of the draft T:AI tomorrow, but the version that is accessible has the vast majority of the stuff in it. Comments, critique, suggestions will all be warmly recieved. If I get a good response, I will ask Admin (again) to put a thread in the current projects section where we can work on it.

Warm Regards,

JC

Follow the link below to get to my (extremely basic) site where T:AI is currently housed

Well, off the top of my head, here is something to consider: they won't be called the Inspired in 2123. Nor will they be called Daredevils, Mesmerists, or Stalwarts. Just like how naturally-occuring psionic users are called psiads in the Nova Age and later called proto-psions in the Trinity Age. And just like how the Nihonjin can artificially create Daredevils, but don't know to call them that so call them Superiors instead. You might want to come up with new titles for them. Remember, the only people in the Trinity Age that have any idea these kinds of people existed before 2123 were members of the Aeon Society. The rest of humanity, from the scientists to the media, will coin their own terms.

Good idea, I like it! I've been toying with the idea of changing Mesmerists (a term I've never really liked) and replacing it with Mentalist (or something similar).

Using the Superiors rather than Inspired might start to get confusing but lets see what it might look like:

Inspired => Superiors

Stalwart => Optimal (plural: Optimals)

Superior => Augment (plural: Augmented (to differentiate from Star Trek Augments)

Mesmerist => Mentalist

Daredevil => Exemplar

Inspiration => Enhancement

Inspiration Pool => Enhancement pool (Enhancement points)

Enhancement Facets = Destructive, Intuitive, Reflective (as in Adventure!)

What do people think about those?

Also, I would like to include in Trinity: AI the rules for Superiors (Augmented) from Asia Ascendant to put all the rules into one place, but I would like to get permission from Bruce Baugh and any of the other writers first.

I've also made a few tweaks to the draft Trinity: AI file below as well.

Regards,

JC

Hmmm, looks good, but a few points:

1 - I say leaving "Superiors" as the term for the Nihonjin engineered Daredevils is best, so as to not confuse people. Maybe calling the Inspired "Augmented" will work? I'm bad with names. "Optimals" is a good term, but since they use nova-like powers the media and psi orders may end up giving them a more condescending title. Maybe throw in "psychic" somewhere, though the term is a generally used one as it is.

2 - "Enhancement" sounds good, but remember that it's also the name of a Quantakinesis Mode. I can't really think of any other good words to use. Focus? If I think of anything else I'll post it. Then again, we could still get away with calling it Inspiration. "Inspiration" wasn't even a term used in the Adventure! era, it was just something for the character sheet. Hmmm...how about Telluric Energy? Or some other shorter term that could stand for Telluric Energy. What would be the non-adjective form of "Telluric" anyway?

3 - I think jsnead wrote the Superiors section. I know he wrote the stuff on Nippon, so he may have done the work on Superiors. I might be wrong.

4 - Off-topic: how do you make pdf files? I only have Adobe Reader. Do I have to pay for an Adobe program that lets me make pdf files?

1 - I say leaving "Superiors" as the term for the Nihonjin engineered Daredevils is best, so as to not confuse people. Maybe calling the Inspired "Augmented" will work? I'm bad with names. "Optimals" is a good term, but since they use nova-like powers the media and psi orders may end up giving them a more condescending title. Maybe throw in "psychic" somewhere, though the term is a generally used one as it is.

Okay, I agree with keeping Superior as Superiors.

Optimals I think is a fairly good term for the moment.

The Mesmerist name is going to be trickier (the Psi prefix is already well used with psions and psiads and any more would become really confusing). Mentalist seems to be the best at the moment, but I am open to ideas.

Inspired => Enhanced/Inspired

Superior => Superior

Mesmerist => Mentalist

Daredevil => Exemplar

Enhanced seems to be the best idea at the moment, but I agree that Inspiration could still be used (and would save a great deal on having to relearn new terms) and since the whole idea is to streamline all the Inspired types into one e-book, keeping it as Inspired would probably be the best idea at the moment.

3 - I think jsnead wrote the Superiors section. I know he wrote the stuff on Nippon, so he may have done the work on Superiors. I might be wrong.

I was planning on adapting the rules jsnead posted at the beginning of this thread to include all four types of paramorph anyway (with his permission hopefully!). I would still like to get permission from whomever it concerns to use the Superior rules (although I can always just reference them as I would the Trinity and Adventure! core books and direct people to Asia Ascendant; its free after all!) ::thumbup1

4 - Off-topic: how do you make pdf files? I only have Adobe Reader. Do I have to pay for an Adobe program that lets me make pdf files?

I have Adobe Acrobat Pro 7 on my home computer so it is very easy to make up PDF files quickly. It is however, an expensive piece of kit for most of us (mine was gained through the wonders of a student licence) but you can make PDFs online via the Adobe website. They give you a free trial that enables you to create five free PDFs. When you run out, all you need to do is re-register with a different email account and you get another five free PDFs! It can be very useful.

By the way, it may please people to learn that I have come around to the majority opinion of there being no such thing as Telluric Energy except as a convenient way to explain Inspired abilities in the 1920's. I am in the process of changing Trinity: AI to reflect this (particularly the first section on Psi, Quantum and Telluric energy, which has been changed into an In Character section, which also introduces the new Inspired names (Optimal, Mentalist and Exemplar)) and will post the revised version in due course.

JC

Heh, I'm thinking of avoiding the issue of Telluric energy altogether in Implicate Order (well, maybe a mention or two...). Thinking about how it fits in makes my head hurt.

By the way, it may please people to learn that I have come around to the majority opinion of there being no such thing as Telluric Energy except as a convenient way to explain Inspired abilities in the 1920's.

That's ironic, because I was just starting to believe that Telluric energy existed. Again, my head hurts! I should have asked Bates about this.

• 1 month later...

Okay all, it's that time again!

Major update on the progress of Trinity: Awaiting Inspiration.

Firstly, name changes. The name changes have been incorporated into the T:AI draft as below:

Inspired => Inspired

Superior => Superior

Mesmerist => Mentalist

Daredevil => Exemplar

Psychic knacks => Psionic knacks

Dynamic knacks => Quantum knacks

I have incorporated Superiors into the character generation process. I have pretty much taken the Superiors verbatim from Asia Ascendant (the character gen stuff anyway) and I have not done much in the way of modification (other than giving them access to Inspiration (essentially they are souped-up Exemplars)). I have referenced Asia Ascendent authors and e-book both in text and in the contents page (as a student I'm pretty used to referencing in my work!) and I have only used the bare minimum required to put all Inspired types into one place.

Since Inspired (of all types) are essentially just exceptional humans, I have removed the limitation on the amount of merits that they may take (limited to those listed in the character gen section). Flaws are still limited at 7 pts worth though.

I have also created a Knack creation system for Psionic and Quantum knacks based on the Freeform Psi system from the TPG. This is just a system for creating new knacks, not a freeform knack system; knacks work the same way they always have.

I could definately use a bit of feedback on the changes so far. As always; opinions, ideas, art, and the like will be warmly received, as will any constructive critique.

Again I will reiterate that I would like this to be community project. Please contribute anything you think might be useful.

Warm regards,

JC

Archived