Adventure! RPG - Donighal / Primoris

Caldorian

I need your help!

It's been ages since I last read Adventure and therefore my Metaplot-Fu is weak! ^_^

I'm running an Aberrant storyline at the moment in which the PCs have the chance to uncover the history of the Aeon Society, Michael Donighal and their relationship.

Problem is: I was always under the impression that it was common knowledge among the Aeon Society that Michael Donighal adopted the moniker "Dr Primoris" after the Hammersmith incident. But now I realised that Whitley Styles obviously doesn't know that they are one and the same... He knows Michael Donighal, but thinks of Dr Primoris as a completely different, albeit somehow familiar person. (p. 21 in A!)

That must mean that Dr Primoris looks different than Donighal, i. e. Donighal uses "Man of many Faces" when in the presence of Styles (and the Aeon Society).

So:

How much does the Aeon Society really know about Primoris, other than that he is an old friend of Maxwell's?

Do they find out about his being the Alter Ego of Donighal?

Why does Donighal do this in the first place? Maxwell most certainly knows about it, so why does he play along?

Given that Max Mercer and Michael Donighal are known to be friends, why does nobody wonder about Donighals absence from the Aeon Society?

I hope somebody of you can help me with these questions! ^_^

I doubt that he uses 'Man of Many Faces' at all - to me the evidence suggests that he just has 6 dots of Cipher - the flavour text at the start of the book always kind of suggested that to me, at least (as knowledge about just who Donigal is appears to 'fade' over time).

Since WW never like to publish full & detailed stats of important NPCs, I guess it's (as usual) up to the individual ST's to decide. ::rolleyes

Hey, thanks Professor! ^_^

Never thought about it that way, but it's a far more elegant solution than the old shapeshifting trick...

And it makes for a better story! ::biggrin

But what about Mercer? Do you think he knows that Donighal is doing the Keyser Soze?

1) It would be obvious to anyone who saw piuctures of Mal and Donegal that the two are the same. Also, Kimberly Dane, a minor character, appears to have made the connection.

2) Any Aeon Society member who didn't know that Donegal was Primoris probably did after ther 1943 encounter ::sly ...

3) I always assumed that Dr.Primoris wore a helmet of some sort, like Dr. Doom. But that's just me...

FR

i always felt it was explained as him having the background enhancement for cipher. i get this from the fact that PRIMORIS, in the one photo of him wears those glasses of his... then in sum artwork for the game on page 14 you see he's drawn as "DONIGHAL" sitting there with WHITLEY and PROFESSOR DIXON. like i always figured that the glasses covered up the fact that he was really DONIGHAL... like in the example for the ENIGMA enhancment... with kip kerby and jet justice. word.

• 11 months later...

I never really figured on the specifics besides Donighal having been changed by his eruption. I mean, in the Aberrant Era, you've got people erupting into 10-foot reptilian creatures (Leviathan), regaining their youth (Kim Dame), and changing gender entirely (London Fog). Why not a slight alteration to make him appear to be someone different?

That coupled with a very high Cipher rating would definitely make people forget about Donighal in exchange for Doctor Primoris.

1) It would be obvious to anyone who saw piuctures of Mal and Donegal that the two are the same. Also, Kimberly Dane, a minor character, appears to have made the connection.

She thought Divis Mal seemed "awfully familiar," and probably connected him with Doctor Primoris. I doubt she'd even recognize the name Michael Donighal.

• 5 months later...

Donighal is not a stalwart, not a mesmerist, is not even Inspired at all. He is a nova, a breed of transhuman god, that will eventually lead to him attaining heights of power even the worst pulp villains of the 1920s can only dream in vain of. As a result, one simple enhancement will allow him to alter his form slightly, and thereby evade identification in a way no one in the '20s can penetrate.

--as for who knows as of 1924, I'd say only Max, as Donighal is deeply in love with the man NB

• 3 months later...

On that topic, yesterday I was surprised by my group of players. They guessed the origin of Divis Mal with no context at all. We play a game of Trinity so they know almost nothing about the origin of Aeon and of the Aberrants. So they meet Max Mercer from 1923 in one of his very first travels on time, and they have a lot of questions. So Max tells them aout his very good and brilliant friend Michael Donighal.

And their first reaction was: Michael Donighal, mmh... What was the name of the chief of aberrants, again ? Divis Mal ? Wouldn't that be the same guy ? I have no idea how they did...

Itai.

If you know that Divis pre-dates N-day (or caused it), and/or that he is so powerful that he makes Pax seem weak, then you have the question of where did he come from, and how long as he been around.

Sure, except they didn't know any of that... ::blink

Archived