Heritage the Flake

Heritage

Okay, seeing as Ezekiel has now lost all respect for me, I might as well give everyone else the chance.

I admitted to the estimable Zeke that I use astrology, that wacky psuedo-science, in designing NPCs for my games. I find the subject fascinating, but am unable to commit fully to the concept due to my logical upbringing; however, as a Unitarian-Universalist, I can't ignore anything out of hand ::wink

Any thoughts on astrology in RPGs, astrology in general, or any other dark secrets of the EON community?

Let's hear from you!

It's not really astrology, but I like to use the Chinese Portrait from Chaosium's Nephilim RPG for all games. It's simply one of the most intriguing dimensions of character design I've ever seen.

Chinese Portrait

For each blank, ask yourself what would describe your character best. The answers may be as normal, exotic, or strange as you like. They can come from any game, media experience, or reality. As long as they help you the player to imagine your character, they work. Metals and Weapons may be fantastic (mithril, lightsaber, Death Star Main Array, etc.), the Famous Person can be fictional, and any answer may be as general or specific as you like.

What would I be if I were

A natural phenomenon?

A metal?

An animal?

A color?

A mythological being?

A famous person?

An activity?

A work of art?

A weapon?

An object?

I also use Tarot affiliations. For any given character, I think about which card might be the most representative of him or her. This also works the other way: if I'm stuck for an NPC, a random draw from a Tarot deck can sometimes inspire something.

Hmmm... I dont know...

Im can wrap my mind around the thought of using the zodiak to create npcs for fantasy games... but not Aeoniverse (its a wee bit to non-supernatural for me)

I usualy create a random character generator and link it so that it creates all the npcs for my whole game world (I have to tweek them of course, but usualy the bulk of the work gets done... ::biggrin )

An example: A long time ago (a year ago) I made a Trinity series that revolved around a chinese freighter (It was a horror series,actualy quiet fun :-) and I fixed out 400 characters, there shift, name and there position (medical, command, machine, science and a couple more whom I dont remember :-)

I never used all four hundred of course, but It was kind of nice to be able to give the players a crew manifest with names, ranks and positions out of hand when they asked for it :-)

I dont use this method for the realy important characters of course... :-)

Archived