Trinity Universe: Holo Lives

knave

"I think I got one, can anyone see it? It should be alive - I used a dart, & the Chromatics are more resistant to heat than us. Oh... & are you slackers all in one piece?"

Talvin looks at the inert creature with a dart in its eye

"I believe you may have zeroed dat one, sir. De dart when true one of its eyes. I'll check on it when I can."

"If it's convienient, a medic would be nice too - no rush now... Skin's so over-rated anyway..."

"I'm on my way wit Caroline, just hold on."

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OOC: My previous comment deleted in order to change my action. Don't worry Prof, I didn't accidentally delete yours, it just got bumped back a page.

"Taka, I will take care of Caroline. We need to get one of de witnesses and you're one of de fastest.
"I think I got one, can anyone see it? It should be alive - I used a dart, & the Chromatics are more resistant to heat than us."
"I believe you may have zeroed dat one, sir. De dart when true one of its eyes. I'll check on it when I can."

Taka shakes his head. "The brain located in the chromatic's head is used for sensory processing only. It's still alive."

Some of the smoke clears, revealing Tiger and the downed Witness. Taka nods coolly and strides over to pick it up.

"Now all we need is an exit plan."

"Now all we need is an exit plan."

"Slap the thing in irons then go back the way we came - unless we've good reason to complicate matters further?"

"Sir, We're not sure dis is a witness. I suggest you keep going until you take one of de three."
A blue glowing, milky eyed chromatic wearing not even a webbing harness stands sillouetted in the doorway to the next room.

[I'm pretty sure... ::sly ]

"Sir, We're not sure dis is a witness. I suggest you keep going until you take one of de three."

Taka turns to Talvin. "I'm fairly happy with that assumption. I don't remember our briefings describing any ordinary Chromatics as having powers even comparable to what this one has demonstrated."

Hastings is moving forward, the chromatic slowly collapses – you suddenly realise that the dart went straight into one of its milky eyes. Hastings falls over the body and scrambles forward on all fours.

*Well, he's still moving. Tough bastard.* Amazed at Hastings will to accomplish a task, Harker holsters his dart pistol and put his glvoe back on. Slinging his shotgun to the ready position, he moves forward into the next room. Hurrying over to Hastings, he says quietly, "If you think you can make it, a painkiller will help until we're back on the ship."

His patience nearly at end, Harker snaps back. "Damnit Talvin! We've got our Witness. Unless you want to go catch one yourself, can the chatter and get up here."

Trying to calm himself, Roosevelt extends his own senses back the way they came. Pushing his psi abilities, he scans their original route for any possible threats or impediments.

His patience nearly at end, Harker snaps back. "Damnit Talvin! We've got our Witness. Unless you want to go catch one yourself, can the chatter and get up here."
Taka turns to Talvin. "I'm fairly happy with that assumption. I don't remember our briefings describing any ordinary Chromatics as having powers even comparable to what this one has demonstrated."

"And I don't remember our briefings describing witnesses as having any special powers..."

Talvin kneels over the chromatic body and lays his hands on it, letting the visions come.

Tiger remains by the doorway - standing close enough to back Hastings up in case of an attack - while looking around the room.

"If it's convienient, a medic would be nice too - no rush now... Skin's so over-rated anyway..."
"If you think you can make it, a painkiller will help until we're back on the ship."

Tiger fishes a small canister out of a bag on his belt and throws it over to Hastings and Harker.

"Here. This is better than painkillers. Burn-relief spray. Takes the edge off the pain, and lets you keep your eyes open."

"And I don't remember our briefings describing witnesses as having any special powers..."

"No, just wisdom and gifts from the stars, and shining brighter than anyone else. Nothing about powers at all." ::rolleyes

"As for leaving... Back - where we've got hordes of incoming chromies according to Talvin, forward - after the other witnesses and out in the open with aberrants and sh!t, or stay right here and get miss Hsu to call for pickup. It's not like we need an LZ, is it? If the last option is possible, that's got my vote. This stage is easy enough to defend while we wait."

Chrome Prime: Backstage with the Chromie

Talvin

Talvin drags Caroline up to the "witness room" behind the stage as he speaks through the comm.

Caroline groans, and rubs her eyes as the stimulant starts to take effect. She manages to stagger into the ‘witness room’ with your help.

Hastings

Hastings crawls clear of the burning smoke, then stands. Resisting the pain (it's only pain, right? ::wink )

[As far as you can tell though the pain is very bad and you are so short on breath that you suspect that the laser punctured your right lung, and perhaps sealed it over again since the blood that you are coughing up occasionally is not aerated.]

"Thanks Tink."

::wub “No problem, hon!” ::inlove

Moving stealthily further into the room, the Englishman covers the entrance from which he can hear noises.

Peering into the next room you see what might be described as comparatively luxury living quarters (for this place). A thick twisted reed mat lies in one corner together with a few very rudimentary looking pieces of hard tech – you recognise a crystal radio set from a project you did at junior school. A biotech carbine is propped up against the wall next to the mat. Several scrolls, with symbols similar to those adorning the walls here, lie half unwound in the area around the bed. Two other exits leave this room. One appears to open into a similar room, whilst the other leads into an upward sloping winding passageway. You believe that this is the direction that the sounds are coming from or, more to the point, disappearing up.

"If it's convienient, a medic would be nice too - no rush now... Skin's so over-rated anyway..." ::rolleyes

Harker

*Well, he's still moving. Tough bastard.* Amazed at Hastings will to accomplish a task, Harker holsters his dart pistol and put his glvoe back on. Slinging his shotgun to the ready position, he moves forward into the next room. Hurrying over to Hastings, he says quietly, "If you think you can make it, a painkiller will help until we're back on the ship."

Tiger

Tiger remains by the doorway - standing close enough to back Hastings up in case of an attack - while looking around the room.  Tiger fishes a small canister out of a bag on his belt and throws it over to Hastings and Harker. "Here. This is better than painkillers. Burn-relief spray. Takes the edge off the pain, and lets you keep your eyes open."

Hastings

The spray is icily cool as Harker applies it liberally to your exposed flesh and chest-wound. You feel it anaesthetising the raw skin and see it form a protective reddish brown coating over the wounds. You realise that the spray must also include a more general stimulant to counteract its painkilling effect, because within moments the pain is gone, and with its departure you feel as though you can do anything.

Talvin

You kneel and examine the body with Caroline Hsu crouching nearby. A few pokes with a gun barrel reveal muscle response , and a closer inspection shows that it is still breathing through its chest-mouth - roving Taka's assumption correct. Only the flight of the small dart remains visibly sticking out of its fore-eye.

Caroline shrugs weakly and looks at you. You place your hand on the creature’s rough hide and let the visions come… You are bowing before an entity of pure, unadulterated light and…wisdom… Pain flashes through you and knowledge becomes yours, but your eyes are clouded now – burnt with the value of the lesson… You stand before a great multitude of shining followers and speak of what you have seen. They bow and obey as you shine brilliant blue – absolute truth!… The pure one shimmers before you and slowly, ever so slowly enters your form and fills you with strength, you cringe at your own unworthy fear, there is no pain, and slowly, ever so slowly, you understand the destiny of your followers and know its greatness…

The vision fades and Taka, who had been respectfully waiting, scoops up the alien's body.

Taka

You lift the creature easily, but it is slightly heavier than a big man, weighty for its size. It is all muscle under the rough hide.

Harker

You extend your taxed senses once again, back the way you came. They do not have to go far. You watch from the upper corner of the passageway as a large warrior chromatic flickers light forms at a very large and growing group of chromatics – all carrying weapons and any number of new and pale blood seeping injuries. They gather in groups of six and begin a quick four-footed scramble/trot toward the hall chamber. You quickly send your senses down the other corridors and sense similar movements - though if you are quick, you may be able to reach one of their barracks before the horde pours past, but only if you set out down the first corridor on the hall’s left right now.

Tiger

"As for leaving... Back - where we've got hordes of incoming chromies according to Talvin, forward - after the other witnesses and out in the open with aberrants and sh!t, or stay right here and get miss Hsu to call for pickup. It's not like we need an LZ, is it? If the last option is possible, that's got my vote. This stage is easy enough to defend while we wait."

Caroline Hsu turns to you slowly, face perfectly calm, though still smeared with blood where she has wiped it. "I am very sorry, but I cannot help you... My talent is gone."

"Slap the thing in irons then go back the way we came - unless we've good reason to complicate matters further?"

Harker shakes his head as his senses return. "That's not an option. There's a veritable swarm of Chromatics headed our way, coming from all different directions, including our original route. If we go right now, we have enough time to hide out in one of their own empty barracks and let them run by. It's just down that corridor." He points to the correct one.

"I am very sorry, but I cannot help you... My talent is gone."

"F*ck. Scratch that option, then.", Tiger sighs.

"That's all right. We'll radio for backup."

He proceeds to do so if there are no objections.

"You think they're gonna find us here based on a radio signal? Wasn't the reason for bringing a telepath in the first place that they needed that to pinpoint our location again? Miss Hsu? Can they find us without you, or do we have to go back to our insertion point to be beamed back up?"

Harker shakes his head as his senses return. "That's not an option. There's a veritable swarm of Chromatics headed our way, coming from all different directions, including our original route. If we go right now, we have enough time to hide out in one of their own empty barracks and let them run by. It's just down that corridor." He points to the correct one.

Tiger glances at the corridor and takes a quick look around at the others.

"Whatever we do, we do it now. Hastings? Up or down?"

As soon as he gets an answer, Tiger quickly is at the front of the group again, moving as fast as terrain, his teammates' speed and is own injuries allow.

You are bowing before an entity of pure, unadulterated light and…wisdom… Pain flashes through you and knowledge becomes yours, but your eyes are clouded now – burnt with the value of the lesson… You stand before a great multitude of shining followers and speak of what you have seen. They bow and obey as you shine brilliant blue – absolute truth!… The pure one shimmers before you and slowly, ever so slowly enters your form and fills you with strength, you cringe at your own unworthy fear, there is no pain, and slowly, ever so slowly, you understand the destiny of your followers and know its greatness…

Talvin opens his eyes and nods

"Now I'm sure, it is a witness."

"You think they're gonna find us here based on a radio signal? Wasn't the reason for bringing a telepath in the first place that they needed that to pinpoint our location again? Miss Hsu? Can they find us without you, or do we have to go back to our insertion point to be beamed back up?"

"Julie left a message for me, they've been trying to port us back since the recall. Something is blocking the teleport, we need to get out. Abbies are up, I suggest down."

Talvin helps Caroline up and starts scuttling down unless someone stops them.

"I can block the tunnel once they're past us, I brought plasma grenades. Whereto Harker?"

...you feel as though you can do anything...

[so what's new? ::tongue ::wink ::cool ]

"Whatever we do, we do it now. Hastings? Up or down?"

"Down - we follow Harker's route. Go."

Hastings quickly dashes into the next room to grab the scrolls & 'radio', stuffing them into his pack as he sprints after the others. As they head for the tunnel he asks,

"Demo'-chap? Got any charges prepared?"

He points towards the mouths of the other tunnels.

"Down - we follow Harker's route. Go."

Tiger nods, and runs toward the tunnel. Half sprinting, half running down the rough stairs he covers the distance to the tunnel entrance in a matter of seconds. Gambling - for the moment - that the rest of them can keep up despite the extra weight, he hurries ahead to make sure the barracks area is safe.

Chrome Prime: Into the dark

Hastings grabs the crystal radio set and several of the scrolls (which are heavier than expected for their size (which isn't small either) being made from some sort of finely stretched and tanned hide rolled over smoothed bone, and jams them into his swag bag before the group scrambles back down into the main chamber with Tiger running ahead down the tunnel to the barracks.

"Demo'-chap? Got any charges prepared?"

Caroline Hsu, who is making her way with Talvin's aid, looks up tiredly at this suggestion. "Are they not more likely to realise which way we have gone if we start closing off avenues of escape?"

The question becomes moot when Daniel has a look at the various tunnels and realises that the nature of the rock will mean that the charges will take several minutes to shape and plant per tunnel. Time that the group doesn't have.

With Harker's encouragement and the all clear from Tiger everyone manages to make the run down the steeply sloping passageway and off into a set of several branching barracks chambers. The chambers are large and spartan, containing around two hundred rough looking sleeping mats (each of which has a varied number of bones lying next to it - some of which actually look human) and a few sets of discarded webbing and some earthenware bowls all containing the dregs of what was probably a fish stew - and a bad smelling one at that. The ubiquitous cave art continues here, but appears to have been altered in places with a few of the 'foes being defeated by glowing warriors' being groups of humans with lines branching off various parts of their bodies towards dead chromatics. The chambers are not lit aside from the glowing fungus which is striped across the ceiling here, much like it is in the corridor.

Under a minute after the characters secret themselves in the barracks, they hear the distinctive scratching sounds of chromies on all fours going as fast as they can – only louder. From the sounds, a good sixty of the creatures charge past, up toward the main hall chamber above, in a continuous stream. Finally the sounds recede.

During the wait, Taka puts the Witness down and radios to the drop team, briefly describing the situation and asking what needs to happen for them to make good their escape.  If it moves at all, he puts another dart into it (unless someone else intervenes).

Tiger sits close to the entrance, keeping an eye out for the enemy, when he hears Taka get on the radio. Speaking over his shoulder, he says

"Try to find out if there are any transports left, or if we're the last ones still here. And if we are, if anybody happened to leave us a hybrid or two..."

While he waits for someone else to make a decision he listens to the general radio traffic, taking special note if any of his sparring partners from the Aegypt are mentioned or on the air.

"Are they not more likely to realise which way we have gone if we start closing off avenues of escape?"

"Underestimating the enemy is the path of the fool, madame - I presume that they'll figure out we've taken their important religious leader & be able to track us sooner or later. In either case, I just felt it'd be nice to blow a few of them up before they get close enough to require a more personal approach. If we can kill them with a mimimum amount of risk, then I'm all for it." ::rolleyes

"I don't suppose anyone has a plan for how to leave?"

"That's why we brought along so many Clairsentients, isn't it? Get looking for an exit chaps."

"Try to find out if there are any transports left, or if we're the last ones still here. And if we are, if anybody happened to leave us a hybrid or two..."

Hastings glances over at the youth's comment,

"Hmmm. We'll fly ourselves out as a last resort, but I'd prefer to not be a target for whatever anti-aircraft fire the locals - or the aberrants, if they really are here - can throw at us. Still, doesn't hurt to ask, right?" ::wink

Looking around the barrack room the Englishman offers the suggestion,

"If we're not heading back the way we came, then I suggest we booby-trap that direction, since we know for certain that there are enemy troops back that way, & it'd be a good idea to discourage pursuit. Unless, of course, our psychic friends have found us a nice fast escape route?"

"Let's not forget that we, unlike most of the troops on-planet, know that there are teleporters with the fleet. They've been to the planet, they can now return easily whenever they want - if I understand these things correctly. There's no need for us to take stupid risks in escaping because we fear being left behind - that's just not going to happen. What we need to do is either find an actual exit, or locate an area that will allow those teleporters to come & get us. We have explosives with us - even a thin bit of mountain will do - we can make our own exit if needs be."

Under a minute after the characters secret themselves in the barracks, they hear the distinctive scratching sounds of chromies on all fours going as fast as they can – only louder. From the sounds, a good sixty of the creatures charge past, up toward the main hall chamber above, in a continuous stream. Finally the sounds recede.

Talvin eyes are closed as the creatures scuttle past. A few seconds slip away before he opens concerned eyes

"I do not know why but dey cannot teleport us from here. Julie has informed me that an ops team is in the mountains about twenty kilometers north-west of here, we are to meet wit dem. I'm not even sure the fleet is staying, Julie said dat dey will come back."

Talvin lets this settle in before continuing

"I hope you all taught to bring along some glup, it looks like we'll be staying here a little longer than anticipated..."

"I do not know why but dey cannot teleport us from here. Julie has informed me that an ops team is in the mountains about twenty kilometers north-west of here, we are to meet wit dem. I'm not even sure the fleet is staying, Julie said dat dey will come back."

Taka nods. If he is surprised at this unpleasant news, he does not show it. He opens his palms to the ceiling in a barely perceptible gesture of acceptance and resignation.

"Do you have a map of the region?"

[in all seriousness, what are food supplies like?]

>>>Chrome Prime: Environment Survival Guide<<<

The planet's thin atmosphere means that temperature variation and surface life are likely to be similar to Earth's deep deserts and bad lands. Operatives are advised to remain at low altitudes as much as possible to make use of increased atmospheric protection. Movement should be restricted to night when the cold blooded Chromatics are likely to be below ground. It is recommended that exertion during the day should be avoided, and that respiration devices be tapped every few minutes should any such heavy exertion be attempted.

Unmandated entry into subsurface caverns is not recommended.

>>>file ends<<<

Chrome Prime: A barracks somewhere inside a holy mountain

The sounds of Chromatic groups passing dwindle into the distance.

During the wait, Taka puts the Witness down and radios to the drop team, briefly describing the situation and asking what needs to happen for them to make good their escape.  If it moves at all, he puts another dart into it (unless someone else intervenes).

All Taka manages to pick up is static and an erratic ”Ping…ping…. ….. Ping” sound on the normal channels used by the fleet. His agent also reports a further two channels using an unfamiliar encryption.

The sleeping chromatic does not move, except to snore very gently through its chest mouth.

[No, the group hasn’t got a map of the area – largely because the area hadn’t been mapped in the normal sense, but only through a Clearsentient impression taken from a captured Chromatic via telepathy.

Everyone will have been issued with at least one glup pack - although of course, being spec. ops. you have the option of not taking it.]

[Edited due to misread action... sorry ::crazy ]

"If we're not heading back the way we came, then I suggest we booby-trap that direction, since we know for certain that there are enemy troops back that way, & it'd be a good idea to discourage pursuit. Unless, of course, our psychic friends have found us a nice fast escape route?"

Talvin's eyes glaze over as he considers this, a few seconds later he starts nodding.

"Yes...I believe I have found a safe route for us to follow. - He eyes the party before continuing - but I believe it means walking through tunnels for at least tree hours if not more. - he seems to ponder this for a few seconds - There is a strange psionic emanation on the route...a strong gyre of sorts. Can one of you determine what it is? It is on the furthest point down, before de tunnels start heading up - Talvin describes the location to Daniel and Harker as he starts taking a look at Hasting's wounds and applying what treatment he deems adequate - We should probably head out now."

Chrome Prime: In the blink of an eye

Harker

His eyes glaze over as he moves his senses to the location described...

Your senses blur down the tunnels and through the chambers that Talvin described. From the lack of chromatic presence along the way you quickly realise that this route is a back way, a disused and roundabout method to get down deep into the mountain... You branch off the path toward the spot Talvin described and immediately start to feel the ripples of the Gyre passing through you... you pass a more major route, along which several chromatics are scampering and then.. you reach a small gate room which several chromatic warriors are guarding, which also contains a several pieces of fairly large biotech that has a familiar resonance (restraint harnesses?)... and the Psi ripples are stronger still... and then you pass into the room that is being guarded... Jackpot! The room turns out to be a completely dark oval chamber with a steep drop off from the door down into a pit filled with humans clad in very old, ragged clothing. You count twenty-three of them, ten female, thirteen male and guess that they range in age from late twenties to early fifties. All of them show signs of abuse on more or less to every patch of exposed skin that you see, mostly bruising and swelling, but several have laser burnt characters, that you recognise from the wall paintings, tattooed into their flesh. The pit in which they stand and sit and lie is filled with calf deep water.

Stunned, Harker's eyes go wide and his mouth works silently, trying to form words. "I found them.", he says finally. "The kidnapped teleporters and other psions. They're being kept captive in a pit; all are injured, some more than others. The Chromatics apparently have large biotech psionic inhibitors to prevent their escape." He takes a long hard look at the distant scene before letting it fade, to be replaced with his current location.

Staring hard at Hastings, he says, "The right thing to do is try to save them. It's also the logical thing to do. Twenty-odd teleporters and psions can get us out of here. Besides, there's a good chance that the inhibitor's the Chromatics are using are what's keeping us from escaping now, be a nice idea to destroy them."

Staring hard at Hastings, he says, "The right thing to do is try to save them. It's also the logical thing to do. Twenty-odd teleporters and psions can get us out of here. Besides, there's a good chance that the inhibitor's the Chromatics are using are what's keeping us from escaping now, be a nice idea to destroy them."

Talvin shakes his head

"Actually...I believe the source of the block comes from above the castle area, above the Witness room. There is a strong psi interference pattern emanating from there not unlike taint. Perhaps you can extend your senses there as well? ... I don't think we could make it up there. Dozens of chromatics just went by us in dat direction and I believe there may be aberrants there. If we save the porters, perhaps the interference field doesn't extend that far and if it does, they can always follow us out through de tunnel."

Talvin seems to think upon all of this for a moment

"We could try to contact the other ops team for backup. They have a clear, of that I am certain, and I have left a message for him but unless he actively looks for one he won't find it. Considering de nature of our operation, they probably don't even know we are here..."

"The right thing to do is try to save them. It's also the logical thing to do. Twenty-odd teleporters and psions can get us out of here. Besides, there's a good chance that the inhibitor's the Chromatics are using are what's keeping us from escaping now, be a nice idea to destroy them."

Taka smiles grimly. "And now the question of the hour - what, do you suppose, are the chances that they might expect for our attack to be directed towards rescuing them? We can punch through the defenses if, and only if, I believe, we have the element of surprise."

"We could try to contact the other ops team for backup. They have a clear, of that I am certain, and I have left a message for him but unless he actively looks for one he won't find it. Considering de nature of our operation, they probably don't even know we are here..."

Taka nods. "Do it - if only to find out their status to avoid unpleasant surprises."

Taka nods. "Do it - if only to find out their status to avoid unpleasant surprises."

Taka realises he's talking into a void as Talvin fails to react and stares blankly ahead of him.

"The fleet, its moving away. Julie, she informed Admiral Mkumba of the situation. The admiral says that they cannot send an aerial strike on the castle at the moment. - Talvin looks at Taka - That is because I asked Julie if one would be possible. We are to evade the enemies and free the prisoners only if dey are in immediate danger or we can do so at minimal risk. I am unsure as to whether these are orders from the admiral or just recommendations by Julie but either way, we cannot risk de deaths of 20 or so porters. I have left a message asking Julie to contact the op team, tell dem we are here. You need to understand sir, I am nut a telepath. I am not sending messages to Julie, I am implanting them here. To sense her messages I must extend my senses to the Aegypt and she must do de same wit my messages. If de op team does not know we are here, den their clear is not likely to find my messages..."

"The right thing to do is try to save them. It's also the logical thing to do. Twenty-odd teleporters and psions can get us out of here. Besides, there's a good chance that the inhibitor's the Chromatics are using are what's keeping us from escaping now, be a nice idea to destroy them."

Hastings looks up from picking bits of carbon out of his chest,

"No. The moral thing to do is to save them - it's also idiotic since, as Taka says, they'll be expecting an attack. Not to mention the fact that they've been here for goodness knows how long with those powerful telepathic Witnesses in the area - even if they're in a fit state to help us, what makes you think they'll still be on our side? The tactical thing to do is to kill them - they have knowledge & power that could be turned against humanity as a whole - & the survival of the species takes priority over the survival of a handful of Psions. The right thing to do is to keep our heads down, stay alive, & return our captive to the people who can use it's knowledge & power against them."

The Englishman shrugs & glances towards Miss Hsu,

"In that respect I suppose we're all similar to the enemy." ::wink

Addressing the group as a whole he comments,

"Considering our position I don't think it's worth our while contacting any other friendly forces right now - there's no real way they could get to us to help us. Our mission objective is only half complete - we have the package, but it's not yet been delivered. On the other hand, those people also present an important tactical advantage which we could strip from the Chromatics. We're also heading in that direction in any case..."

Hastings stands, only needing to grit his teeth slightly against the now numbed pain,

"... On the qualification that we're being idiots in doing so, I say damn the logic - let's go save those captives." ::sly

Shouldering his kit, the Englishman moves out in the direction Talvin indicated.

Chrome Prime: Dark Passageways

"In that respect I suppose we're all similar to the enemy."  ::wink 

Caroline Hsu replies with a wan nod and a weak attempted smile.

Once Daniel has completed his setting of an explosive trap to bring down the tunnel back to the hall should anyone pass that way, the group gets going. Time passes without much change in the scenery apart from occasionally blotchy outgrowths of the luminous lichen on the ceiling and a definite decrease in the density of the cave paintings. The group passes several side chambers, all unused and containing nothing more exciting than the bones of a few rat sized creatures. The only item of mildly noteworthy importance is that the walls gain a slight sheen of dampness after about an hour and a half's worth of mostly downhill trudging.

Eventually the group reaches the point at which they must finally decide to continue up and out, or to risk all for the sake of rescuing the hostages. Continuing in the direction of the hostages will mean having to cross at least one tunnel which sees near constant chromatic traffic before even the guard room can be reached.

The right thing to do is to keep our heads down, stay alive, & return our captive to the people who can use it's knowledge & power against them."

"If we wanted to do what's right, we wouldn't have become soldiers." Taka's hand drops to his belts and starts to reload his carbine, like a well-oiled machine, before realizing that it's already loaded. A look of mild irritation bends his brow for a second, and he settles for cracking his knuckles instead.

"... On the qualification that we're being idiots in doing so, I say damn the logic - let's go save those captives."

Taka nods his agreement, then turns to the others. "Any objections?" If there's silence, he looks to his captive. "How about you?"

More silence, then he nods grimly. "Let's go."

Continuing in the direction of the hostages will mean having to cross at least one tunnel which sees near constant chromatic traffic before even the guard room can be reached.

[How much traffic? Enough that it would be unreasonable to expect to leave no survivors?]

Before the group leaves the safety of the barracks, Tiger turns to the others and asks, pointing to the burnt flesh and plastic across his abdomen

"Could one of you take a look at this hole in my armor? It doesn't look too bad from this angle, but diagnosing yourself is never a good idea..." ::confused

Eventually the group reaches the point at which they must finally decide to continue up and out, or to risk all for the sake of rescuing the hostages. Continuing in the direction of the hostages will mean having to cross at least one tunnel which sees near constant chromatic traffic before even the guard room can be reached.

"We're going for the rescue, right? With three wounded and a captive chromie, the best we can do is hide near that tunnel and hope for a window, then cross over in pairs. On the double. If we're spotted here, we're dead."

Thinking for a moment, he adds "And if we free the psions and still can't teleport out of here, we're dead too. There's no way we're gonna be able to shoot our way out through all these chromies."

"And if we free the psions and still can't teleport out of here, we're dead too. There's no way we're gonna be able to shoot our way out through all these chromies."

"Speak for yourself...", mutters Hastings quietly, before directing his comments to the group,

"We can't & won't abandon our primary mission completly - it's still of vital importance. I suggest we split into two teams - Miss Hsu, the captive, one Clairsentient & one warrior-type take the 'safe' tunnels out of here, the rest of us go for the prisoners. I'd say that Daniel & Taka would be best escort for our Telepath & trophy, but I'm open to suggestions."

The Englishman takes a moment to check on the unconscious Chromatic, before facing the group to hear their comments.

"If we wanted to do what's right, we wouldn't have become soldiers."

Very quietly, Harker says to himself, "I'm not a soldier, damnit. I'm an academic in way over my head."

"I'd say that Daniel & Taka would be best escort for our Telepath & trophy, but I'm open to suggestions."

Harker nods. "I agree. It was my suggestion, I want to make sure I help go along to free the captives."

"I'm not a soldier, damnit. I'm an academic in way over my head."

"Don't tell me - it came as a shock when the shooting started? Please... ::sly we all knew what we signed up for. Generally I'd rather describe myself as a good husband & father of two, but right now I'm a soldier - & so are you."

"Don't tell me - it came as a shock when the shooting started? Please...  we all knew what we signed up for. Generally I'd rather describe myself as a good husband & father of two, but right now I'm a soldier - & so are you."

Doing his best to keep his voice level, Harker responds. "Contrary to your assumption, no, it wasn't a shock. I've seen combat before. I just don't like it. My typical assignments do NOT involve this level of violence or danger. I'm an expert pilot, a translator, sometimes an interrogator. Please allow me assure you, I will do my absolute best to perform such duties as needed until we accomplish our mission. During this particular mission, I will defer to your, and others, expertise. But please do not insult me by presuming to tell me who or what I am."

Shifting his shotgun to a more comfortable position, and making sure the weapon is in order, he simply says, "Ready."

"Could one of you take a look at this hole in my armor? It doesn't look too bad from this angle, but diagnosing yourself is never a good idea..."

Taka will take a look at it and tell Tiger what he thinks.

"We can't & won't abandon our primary mission completly - it's still of vital importance. I suggest we split into two teams - Miss Hsu, the captive, one Clairsentient & one warrior-type take the 'safe' tunnels out of here, the rest of us go for the prisoners. I'd say that Daniel & Taka would be best escort for our Telepath & trophy, but I'm open to suggestions."

Taka nods. "I agree. However, Mr. Hastings, I am inclined to doubt your own capacity at this point to pursue the offensive, and suggest that you accompany the retreating party. If you believe that your injuries would not be an obstacle, however, then we will proceed as you suggest. If not, I will take your place with Tiger and Harker in the raid on the captives. The judgement is yours to make."

"Don't tell me - it came as a shock when the shooting started? Please...  we all knew what we signed up for. Generally I'd rather describe myself as a good husband & father of two, but right now I'm a soldier - & so are you."
"Contrary to your assumption, no, it wasn't a shock. I've seen combat before. I just don't like it. My typical assignments do NOT involve this level of violence or danger. I'm an expert pilot, a translator, sometimes an interrogator. Please allow me assure you, I will do my absolute best to perform such duties as needed until we accomplish our mission. During this particular mission, I will defer to your, and others, expertise. But please do not insult me by presuming to tell me who or what I am."

Taka's smooth voice rolls in calmingly, affected by neither the belligerent cynicism nor the controlled fear. "This is not the time. Mr. Harker's dedication and loyalty are not in question."

Archived