Aeonverse D20

ProfPotts

Well, it's official. The Aeonverse games are going D20.

Whilst I'll appreciate any new background material, & don't actually hate D20, the fact that these games were Storyteller games is one of the big things that drew me to them in the first place. I'll be reserving judgement until the new books surface, naturally, but can't shake the niggling feeling that it just won't be the same ever again.

I'm also wondering what D20 versions of the Aeonverse games can give us that other D20 games haven't already provided. 'D20 Aberrant' Vs 'Mutants & Masterminds' jumps to mind - different styles of comic-book antics, sure, but will the rules for Quantum powers et al be any good (or any different) compared with what we already have? What will 'D20 Adventure!' introduce that can't be already done with a 1920s based 'D20 Modern' game?

Let's hope they've at least employed a game mechanic to replace Hit Points... ::rolleyes

Andrew Bates fought for us.

He loves the Continuum as much (if not more) than we do. He didn't want to see it just die. The brass aren't going to sink more money into ST Continuum books, though, because those just don't sell.

But there's a *huge* d20 market out there. People are always looking for the next big d20 game. The d20 Continuum books have the potential reach a ton of new people who never gave it a chance before, and as an added bonus, make enough money to continue making supplements for a while. Even if the supplements are d20, it's *new material*. There's nothing wrong with ignoring the system and stealing all the ideas.

Andrew has now gone on record as saying that if we do get supplements, he'll lobby for additional Storyteller supps, too. Or at least ST rules in the d20 books.

This can only be a good thing. But most of the people I hear are talking about d20 eating their favorite game, or feeling like they've been betrayed. I don't get that. Even if you don't like d20, this can only mean good things for us.

• 1 month later...

::ohcrap DIE d20 !!!!!!!!! thats how I feel about it. But thats what happens when card game makers take over the table top rpg world!!!!!!!!!!! I'm greatfull for the new material but I hate that it is coming because of d20!!! YUK!!! that rule system is so Munchkin it's not even funny, But what the hell I'll probrably by every book just for the new source material, maybey if we are lucky they might give us a nice conversion on a couple of pages in a book or two.

::sneaky2

card game makers take over the table top rpg world!!!!!!!!!!!

Obligatory: Huh?

D&D isn't exactly the new kid on the block; that's Aeon's distinction. Also, Hasbro isn't famous for cards; it's famous for Hotwheels and Barbie. Even WotC started out in RPG's. Basically, although I'm still not sure of their "family values" clause, I think they've done OK so far...

that rule system is so Munchkin it's not even funny

1) Why D&D isnt't the Best Game

(Yeah, it's getting a lot of play lately, but that's what I made it for...)

2) If you really want to see munchkin, consider a nova with 60 NP (or the equivalent)...or a psion with 2-5 dot powers and one four, and a couple of auxillary modes....or a high-Inspiration Inspired....or any character with the combo of Clearance 5, Resources 5, and Requisition 5. I'm not trying to say Aeon is twinky, just that ANY system has the possibility to be seriously twinked, and that D&D has the worst rep for it. However, the worst twinking I've seen is in the WoD system. Heck, I've got a friend that has consistently shown that he can twink the WoD worse than I can twink D&D....Something to consider....

I'm greatfull for the new material but I hate that it is coming because of d20!!! YUK!!!

It could be worse...Think of the Aeonverse done in Rifts style ::crazy ...Or Teenagers From Outer Space...Or...even...POG ::biggrin

FR

it's famous for Hotwheels and Barbie.

No Matel was 'famous' for them. Something I noticed a few years ago (before I got into roleplaying) was Hasbro buying out other companies. They started out with toys marketed for todlers, then they seemed to inch along utill eventually they found the video game market then their toy/game/entertainment company rampage moved into full force. It was really smart buisness.

As for munchkinised, I disagree, no matter how munchkin you pc is, it takes a long time to take down an apropriate challenge rating creature (one of the true flaws to the combat system imho) and all those feats simply make it alittle easier.

Aberrant is munchkin gaming for starting pc's but it's done with alittle more finesse, and is one of the games that needs it's metaplot to keep that sense of finesse. I'm not saying that those who completely abandon the metaplot aren't playing it right, all I'm saying is that once you've read about the various factions most people have already made up their minds as to which they'd play. So when the gm says "this isn't going by the book" the players have already been influenced and take it from there. Just because there's no "Terragen" faction doesn't mean a pc isn't going to have that same opinions of a terat.

Points taken ::blush but WOTC may have started out in rpg's , it was magic the gathering that got them to the top thankfully shortlived that was .. and brought us the d20 system . Yes any game can be number stacked or power gamed but d20 has that grity fealing of bieng built for it, just my opinion. Anyway Would like to see what is in store for the Aeonverse. Maybey they wont butcher it to bad....in the mean time DIE D20 DIE! ::m60

LOL

oh yeah ::prof1

Re: Mattel

Er...oops...

I was just trying to point out that even without M:TG, WotC was already on the fast track towards gaming fame (Talislanta/Primal Order), and some of its major cotributors were already pretty well-known as great designers of interesting games. It would have been interesting to see where WotC would have ended up if neither M:TG or TSR's financial issues came along....

Also, that any game can be munchkinized/powered-gamed (and, yeah, I know there's a difference, however minor); D&D's just the most famous for it. It's just that a) I can think of several games that are worse, and B) I sorta dislike that, becaiuse of that rep, D&D is usually not considered a role-playing game, even though it was the first game to actually try simulating what players would do when they hit a lot of literary situations (Clue: Robin Hood is not a goood scenario to run ::crazy...).

FR

Archived