Are there any good RPGs besides WW games?

Mainboard

Besides d20, Shadowrun, BESM, Gurps, Paladiaum or Rifts (Or of course the WW systems).... What other games out there would people suggest? I am asking because I am looking for something fun, good, and very fresh..... and so I thought I would ask you guys.

I think Asborn or Dr.A recomended something called Engel (angele in german apparently ::blink ), i spotted what looked like a novel for it at the white wolf site but it could have been the main book. Also if you're looking for something fresh why not make your own, steal a system ie. d20 (Blah!) or L5R (great system) or storyteller (good and easy) and then make up powers (easier than it might seem, just don't make them too powerfull unless they're meant to be high level powers or your game is similar to aberrant where everything is too powerful) and overall theme (although that can be stollen too). Have others in your group help you to hammer out the powers and the ideas for the social and geographical structures (i don't mean mountains ::tongue ) of the world/s you'll use and then work with individual players on setting up character types ie. orders, clans, etc. be careful not to make one type more powerful than another unless you want to give them a flaw to level out the character type. Once this is all done start the game, if there is any changes that you feel need to hapen than make those changes, try not to penalise players with these changes, if they affect their powers by weakening them then find a way to make up for it and don't forget to explain exactly why you've weakened their character rather than just saying "too powerful, too bad". I know you weren't asking for techniques on personal game design but it could be better than forking out money on a book that you don't end up finding worthwhile and besides it helps players to get the feel of game design which could help them become good GM's or at least become GM's if nothing else.

Thank you for the advice. I would do that but with our 2nd child on the way and trying to finish the character background aide for the Trinity system, I am kinda swamped. I have time to read, and even some time to work on some adventures, but I have already started a Exalted/Birthright conversion, that alone will take me a few months. That and I was hoping for a diffrent system than what I have already played. ::hehe

In a word, Talislanta!

It was recently published in its 4th edition. I've been a fan since 2nd edition.

It is a totally original elf-less fantasy game. If you're curious, the main site, http://www.talislanta.com , has a multimedia intro to the game.

It's also the only game I know of where the writer/creator also wrote and published music set in the game world. http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/311/stepha...hael_sechi.html

It reminds me a lot of the Trinity universe, in that although it never got really popular, it has a small but devoted fanbase that will not let it truly die. ::thumbsup

Get Talislanta. Truuuuust me! ::sly

Brian

They might be too obvious to mention but Call of Cthulu and Star Wars (D6 version, haven't tried the D20 one) are good.

Feng Shui is supposedly good but I haven't personally tried it yet.

I should really get my hands on fading sun now...(I'm a big Frank Herbert fan)

You need to try out Dream Pod 9 if you want new and fresh.

Dream Pod 9, home of cool stuff and the best Post Apocalype game ever, Tribe 8.

They have two big robots games (Heavy Gear and Jovian Cronicles), a WWII with Mecha game (Gier Kreig), Tribe 8 (imagine Fallout sans the high tech and add Dream based Magic), and rumor has it they are working on a new game as I type this, that could be a modern era spy-thriller type game.

I play Tribe 8 every other Sunday. Great game. I have a copy of Heavy Gear, and I can only describe it as "an RPG Battletech without the suck and with tactical rules that intigrate seamlessly with the RPG rules."

Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Cyberpunk 2020- Scifi, Elric or StormBringer based on the worlds of Michael Moorcock- A d20 version is available, Runequest one of the best fantasy games ever, Pendragon for King Arthur stuff, Big Eyes Small Mouths for Anime,Old School- Torg a multi demensional war with fantasy worlds, scifi, & a wee bit of horror, Speaking of Horror- Vampire, Werewolf, & Mage. Before I Forget Delta Green & CountDown for Coc. ::sleep Thats all I could think of for now.

• 4 weeks later...

Some other fun stuff:

Project A-Ko (with it's own card game!): Great if you need a breather, and you know the anime! Think: Teen-age girls meets WWF with mecha. And bad cooking ::rolleyes ...

Toon: Although I try to get people to just look at it, it's great if you like Warner Brothers cartoons. Essentially, this is the system for American animation...

Teen-Agers From Outer Space: ...but if you're more into anime, then try this! (Personal fave, btw!) Think: Twilight Zone and Outer Limits meets Leave it to Beaver and Father Knows Best, with lasers and hyper-dimensional hammers!

World Tree: Furry fantasy setting. A few weird holes, but otherwise a great new game. Also, a really nice magic system! Think D&D on a planet-sized tree with furries...

<Jade/Iron>Claw: Furry fantasy, and real fun! Think a slightly sillier D&D with furries!

Bubblegum Crisis: Another anime rpg, but this is one is very serious. Also, may give you some seriously wrong ideas about Trinity tech...(Boomers!)

It Came From The Late, Late, Late, Late, Late, Late Show: If you have a love of b-movies, this is THE game for you! (And you'll be playing within a few hours of getting the book, which is cool!)

Tales From The Floating Vagabond: The comedy games to end all comedy games! Basically, all of your adventures start in a cross-dimensional bar, and it's absolutely hilarious just to read through, especially if you have background in sci-fi or gaming! (Vikings in the same party as Worf and Ben Grimm! Think about it!)

Gaurdians: Super-hero role-playing, with some really cool toys. Although they messed up the system by putting a bit too much humor into it, this is still a system to check out...

Champions: And now for something serious....Although I like Aberrant, this game is much better for superheroes...And pretty much anything else, for that matter. If you want to see how to really do some weird stuff, read this book. Also, makes judging power levels in other games easier, because you can translate them easily to Champs, and see what it looks like compared to other things...

Hope this helps...;-)

FR

I can't believe I forgot to recomend Legend of the 5 Rings, great fun and is probably the best system I've seen. By the way I recomend trying some of the WW sub-games like Freak Legion, Demon Hunter X (older and better than Hunter), Dampyr, Bygone Bestiary, etc. Most of these are as good if not better than the Core equivalant, they're short and best of all they're going for $6.66 US I know i sound like a commercial but these books are great for a new game and for setting up antagonists for other games.

Let's see, good RPGs. I know a few:

A) All Flesh Must Be Eaten. See the Pulp Zombies thread for more information. Lots of survival horror fun and a great gateway game for the newcomers.

B) Deadlands: Weird West, Hell on Earth, Lost Colony. Fun games with a western theme running through all of them, running the gamut from horror/western, horror/western/post-apocalyptic future, to horror/western/space opera. My opinion? Very, very cool. There've even been some conversions to d20 for the curious. Check 'em out at www.peginc.com

C)Hellboy: The Roleplaying Game from Steve Jackson Games. Fun pulp horror action based on the acclaimed comic series by Mike Mignola. Really fun for one-shot games or serials, with some more appeal for newbies.

D) Ravenloft from Sword and Sorcery Studios. If you haven't played Ravenloft, then I feel sad for you. The Domain of Dread is the best (in my opinion) setting TSR ever created, and if you're looking for a mix of High Fantasy and Gothic Horror it can't be beat. SSS's revamp (heh) of the venerable franchise is accessible and fun.

E) 7th Sea: Sadly, Alderac publishing chose to go the d20 route, but in it's prime 7th Sea was one of the most joyously swashbuckling and fun RPGs around. If you can track it down in used game stores I reccomend you pick it up.

That's all I've got for now. What else is cool? ::cool

-Defender.

• 1 month later...

I just picked up a copy of Mutants and Masterminds. Playing superheroes and all you need is a d20 die? I was intrigued to say the least. That, and the art is kick-ass. I'm still leafing through it, but so far the verdict is good to very good. :)

-Def. ::bigsmile

The thing with earthdawn is that it's a really easy game mechanically once you have the step system down. and yes - the setting justifies everything from dungeon crawls to epic world spanning monster chases... pretty cool. and nice bad guys :P

Knave

A true outsider: "Agone RPG", by Multisim. ::ninja

Great fantasy setting, mixing swashbuckling, conspiracy and an evil opposition that's the best this side of the Cthulhu Pantheon.

The magic is a total hoot, the available races a nice departure from the usual.

Gorgeous artwork.

Based on the fantasy novels of French author Mathieu Gaborit (who conscripted the rulesbook).

All in all, it actually delivers what "7th Sea" promised but too often failed to achieve.

Sadly, the English-language edition was discontinued due to lack of sales--it hit the shelves at the same time of the D20 franchise, and went unnoticed.

Really worth looking for.

Archived