E-Books - the Aeon Line goes digital

CHILL

Here's the thing.  E-books suck.  They need to be printed, you need a credit card etc etc......and well, its just different dammit!  :D

But should (must?) the Aeon Continuum lines go 'wholesale' e-book.  Yep, Core rules, mini-books etc etc?

Dr 0 made a point (on the WW forum) about print books sit on shelves and can attract people to the games...  so would it be a good idea / feasible to produce the recent version of the Trinity RPG, and/or Aberrant RPG core rules books as e-book format?

At least when people see all us Trinity nut-balls going daft over Terra Verde, they can easily pick up a copy of the main rules for the games to see what its about, which might in turn convince them to go and buy what paper books they can as well as the TV e-book (and other ebooks?).

I understand that e-books aren't everyones favourite idea, but if TV does well, perhaps making this move to e-book the line would be a worthwhile move.  I know I could live with it.

I'm sure from a cost perspective it doesn't take a great deal to take an existing publication and turn it into a pdf.  There are also enough people prepared to provide a credit card and postal services (CD-ROM and printed) for those without..so....

My take is that - yes - e-book the whole lot, Trinity, Aberrant, Adventure! - the whole hooplah.  Get it over and done with, bring the costs down to produce more books, and get those books a churning out.

I personally believe that the ONLY way for the Aeon Continuum to keep getting more products, is through E-books.  Hell it could even do better from a cost-to-profit ratio...  at least we know that the whole aeon net fan-base would scream and shout about each new book, so word of mouth advertising isn't a problem.

Thoughts, shootdowns? wanna call me a heretic? - let me have em.

I still don't like the idea, it still seems so cheap, paying only slightly less than a normal book for a pdf file. I find myself asking the question if I was given a choice between paying approx. $15 for a proper book version and approx. $10 for an e-book I know which one I'd buy every time. Now I know that in this case we all agree that its better to have Terra Verde in any form rather than not at all (only to give a completeness to the line with this and Asia Ascendant) but I find the idea of an e-book to be cheating a loyal customer base.

P.S can anyone confirm the rumour that Terra Verde was actually printed and is currently sat in the White Wolf warehouse, they're just not willing to pay shipping costs.

Cool - that's Senior Mal's take

(PS: I haven;t heard about that rumour for absolutely ages - so I'd presume its a false one - Bruce normally gives credit when we hit the mark)

OK - to expand a little further...

Is the following website an example of the future for the Aeon Games?  What do you think?

www.rpgnow.com

• 5 months later...

I have to agree with senior mal, i would buy the proper book everytime... e-books do take less space, but for those of us with crappy (or no) printers, it ends up costing more than the proper book to have a copy shop print it for you...

i'm not sure about profits going up, i can think of one too many wolf fans who would burn copies for everyone they know and then put them on a share ware program... crappy thing to do to a struggling line, but there are a lot of people out there who wouldn't care...

all in all, i vote for the normal books... then again, i'm not on the white wolf board of directors, so my vote doesn't count...

Don't be so hard on yourself Harle. . .ultimately, White Wolf works for the people who pay for it's product. . .unfortunately, since we Aeonaddicts are a minority the WoD juggernaut gets most of the airplay. But I agree with you and Mal. . .ebooks tank. It just doesn't feel right to me. I mean, if it's produced by fans like our current projects than yeah, I can see the necessity. I doubt any of us has printing facilities, warehouses and enough bread handy to ship out copies of India Underground, Aberrant War! and Trial by Fire for the people simply from the good of our hearts. But a company like White Wolf, who probably make a good and steady influx of capital shouldn't punk out their fans so by relegating a book to a format many will find inacessible. Sure, Aeon doesn't pull in big money like Goth: The Bitching, but I think we the faithful have proven if they print it, we'll buy it.

Just my take.

-Defender.

E-books are pathetic. You need a creditcard to purchase one. What if you don't have a creditcard? should you not have all the info on a game that you really like just because you have a bad/no credit. I would sooner go to the book store and look at it first to see if it's what I want. Sure the ebook might sound great, but once you dl it it could be crap. then what? you can't return it for fear that you still have a copy of it.

Free ebooks are great anyone can have access to them.

if you don't like it, pass it along to a friend and delete it.

The more people who have the e-book, the more word of mouth you will get. The more people who talk about the free ebook tyou get that much more feed back on it. you get more feed back, you continously make the product(s) better.

Archived