E-Books - the way forward?

CHILL

So then, Terra Verde is going to be released as an e-book (pdf for the uninitiated) at around $10, that means (as far as my clouded mind can figure out)

1) You'll need a PC (or a Mac....)

2) You'll need software to read e-books

3) You'll need a half decent connection to download (4 MB ish)

4) You'll need a credit card or,

5) A friend who will let you use their credit card

(that last one ain't an invite, Snr Mal, Chambo, Lo Mai et al !)

But, would you be happy with an e-book.  What does this mean for the rest of the Aeon Continuum.  Could we get out of print books back again?

Do you love, hate or are you apathetic?

I'm of multiple minds about the e-books:

INDIFFERENT

I don't play Trinity, so this particular e-book doesn't affect me either way.  I do, however, play Mage: The Sorceror's Crusade, and the last M:tSC book (Witches & Pagans) was an e-book, so I feel comfortable in discussing this.

FOR

E-books will permit the publishing of books that would not otherwise be published.  White Wolf/Arthaus is not committed to buying an entire print run, nor do they risk being stuck with a bunch of unsold books.  If the alternative is NO book, then the e-book is better than nothing, and I find this a very strong argument in favor of e-books.

AGAINST

The Witches & Pagans e-book was almost impossible for me to print.  My computer is not particularly powerful, and I had to remove Acrobat (I have the full version) and install Acrobat Reader just to have enough unused RAM to spool the print commands.  Then I had to print it five pages at a time.  I understand the frustration of those of you unable to buy or use the book at all.

I also like to look through books before I buy them, which I can't do with an e-book.  The strange thing is that I am more likely to buy a potentially uninteresting e-book than I am to buy a potentially uninteresting hardcopy.  The e-book is only US$ 8; a printed copy is US$ 15 or more.  I did buy the Witches & Pagans e-book; I did not buy the Order of Reason printed book, although I might have if it was only 8 bucks.

I'd recommend that anyone interested in this issue read the first post in the "Terra Verde News" thread in the AEonverse Forum at Ex Libris Nocturnis.  That post quotes a post from Bruce Baugh that explains the circumstances surrounding the e-books (as best as he is able and permitted).

Admin Notice

The post by Bruce was already posted on the Europnet Forums at News about Terra verde from the developer

Arcanum_V's Follow-up

The post in the EurOpNet Forum is only the first paragraph of the original post and it does not include the discussion of the decision-making process behind making it an e-book.

Not good.

I want to hold a book and be able to use it.

I am not really able to have a credit card, and my parents are unhappy about using theirs over the internet.

It is too damn expensive for a simple PDF file.

There are good points, I admit, but not enough.

:xmas

throwing another angle in to this discussion...

What does that mean for potential copyright issues?  Your thoughts.

BTW, for the record, don't even think about advocating piracy, let alone actually posting such advocacy - you will be banned...  nuff said.

Anyways, thoughts?

I know.  As irritating as WW is being at the moment, I can assure you that I believe that it is very important for everybody to pay for this, as it reduces the chance of Trinity being canned big time.  Which can only be a BAD thing!

Another point - My local retailer now can make no money from this book.  HE had fifteen pre-ordered by gamers, and now will not make any money from this game!  Will e-books not add to the decay of the important gaming shops, that in Edinburgh at least, are the hub of the local gaming community!?

Quite a hot topic this.   :)

I can see the point that a book is better than no book (Particularly as Terra Verde had already been written) but the idea of an e-book doesn't appeal at all, I like holding a book, I like placing a book on my shelves, I don't want to have to spend $10 on something I have to print of myself (Which will be gaff if the old printer isn't any good) and then stuff it in a folder or something else which doesn't match the rest of my collection, stuff that!

This is just one more item on a long list that is pushing me further away from White Wolf products, if it gets any worse I'm going back to Games Workshop.

If this is what the future holds then I'm glad my time machines nearly finished.

I heartily agree with Aeon regarding th eretailer thing. My local shop has a pretty loyal customer base, but something like this can hurt it long run. True, it relies mostly on comic sales, but I've been told that RPG's are now getting up there in sales. A setback like this can hurt.

I'm happy that TV is coming out. Don't get me wrong. Something is better than nothing. TV and AsAs will complete the set. That's all I ask for.

Maybe the guys over at Wizkids would like another fan. Shadowrun's a good game...

-Joseph

Heh Heh....

Time for admin to be a flashy bastard :)

You see, the company I run has a nice media team, and the nice media people have nice full colour laser printing machinery, and erm, well, nice expensive printy stuff.

So MY Terra Verde is going to be all bound and look (as close as dammit) to the 'real' thing - complete with nice glossy card cover and all (if there's a cover in the e-book that is).

</flashybastard>

:Devil

oohh...  quick though.  If Conrad looks at this - this will be for MY (that'd be Me, I, myself only - get it!) use!

pfeah!

I do not suppose that the person who wins the competition could get a lovely copy like that as well?  And are you not a lucky git!  Ah well, enjoy Admin, you deserve it.  At least you will have a book that you can hold!   :)

• 3 months later...

Turns out I totally used my school's laser printer to print out my copy, heh... man, I love how fast those things spew out pages.  I didn't print the cover out--waste of ink if you ask me since I put it in a binder anyhow.  

And just remember, Chris, that printy-glossy-thingy is going to be pumping out India Underground staff-copies when we release!

-Breearg

Yeah, well done buddy!, now everyone will bloody well want one  :D

That's correct, the members of Team InUn are getting glossy printed copies of InUn when its done.

......  oddly, I went and was the printer today to sort it out as well....  

Sorry to all you others though, printed version is only for Team InUn members.

.....  and I know Breearg has been recruiting all over the place, but (to clarify), if I have given you password access to the InUn forum AND sent you an email saying welcome to Team InUn - here's what we expect from you - then you are TeamInUn and get a copy - if not, you dont.  

nuff said.

:)

What's this about recruiting all over the place?  I haven't recruited all over the place--only people I recruited are Jake and (waiting on art) Harlequin (who will get password access what not when I get first art), heh.

You call two people recruiting all over the place, eh?

Silly Pome.

-Breearg

Archived