Aberrant RPG - House Rules to be Shared

nerdvana

I've two new specialties for the Ride skill (APG p87) I'm going to be adding... "Nova" and "Mount"

Yes, this is so that you can ride your speedster or flying friend successfully... the other? So that you can be a good mount for those without the Ride skill. :)

::eh So, what do you all think?

Where as I think this is a really inventive idea, I've always thought of skills as things that people were either naturally adept at, or in this case something that they had practiced.  This just seems like an odd thing to practice, but I suppose that if it is a normal part of the battle plan supper buddies might...

-Slag

I've never run or been a part of a real Aberrant game, but I have read most of the books, but I rely heavily on the material for my Trinity games.  Anyway, it recently came to my attention that I use the Mega-str, Mega-dex stats a little differently in combat than the rules call for.  Personally I like the way I do it, but I thought I'd throw it out to see what more seasoned Abbie players think.  I allow the +5 damage add for both brawling and martial arts damage, and then allow the use of m-str and m-dex as normal megas regarding brawl and martial arts rolls respectively.  Hope that makes sense.

What do you think?

-Slag

Hmmm..."Nova" and "Mount"....interesting specialties.  Don't think many would have "Nova" - "Mount" would be much more common - but those that do have "Nova" would be noteworthy.  Hmmm.....

Hmmm...ok...my 23 Cents worth.  I've made a few changes to the rules of my game {What ST hasn't? :D }

Rules Modifications:

1)  All Mega-Attributes give 1 Auto Success per dot, instead of adding dice.  This lessons the amount of dice rolled & gives more "umph" to Mega-Attributes.  A character still needs to get a "normal" success on the dice in order for the auto successes to count though.

2)   The following Enhancements add 3 auto successes, replacing the normal bonus dice.  Again, this gives more "umph" to the Enhancements and reduces the amount of dice rolled.  It also brings a little more "uniformity" to the rules:

- Aberrant Main Book:

-- Mega-Dex: Accuracy, Rapid Strike

-- Mega-Int: Mathematical Savant, Mental Prodigy {No rolls necessary to "activate" MP:  Engineering, Financial, Investigation, Medical, Scientific, Tactical},

-- Mega-Wits: Artistic Genius, Lie Detector {for particularly skilled liars}, Natural Empath,

- Aberrant Players Guide:

-- Mega-Dex: Fine Manipulation, Perfect Balance {For extraordinary circumstances}

-- Mega-Int: Mental Prodigy {No rolls necessary to "activate" MP: Administrative, Strategic}

3) Initiative:  Both Mega-Dex and Mega-Wits add +2 per dot to the characters permanent Initiative.

4) Rolling Dice:  All 10's count as two successes for rolls involving Mega-Attributes or Nova powers.  If the roll does not involve a Mega-Attribute or Nova Power, then 10's count as normal {ex: Willpower rolls}.

5) Character Creation:  No cost savings allowed for taking tainted Nova powers/mega-attributes.  Instead, the player may take up to 2 dots of Taint.  Each Dot gives 5 Nova Points to be spent on the character.

There's a few more modifications I've experimented with, but the above are standard one's in my chronicles.  Anyway, as I said...my 23 cents worth.

Nadrakas..."Can't wait 'til EonCon 1"

Very cool, I've seen the points for taint before, but I'm not sure I don't prefer the cost savings for tainted powers... if a player wants to play a taint puppy I don't see why not. :)

(although I would discourage them)

True....then allow them to have up to 4 Taint this way.  Also...the players can still get Taint from having a high Quantum or Node.  :D

Nadrakas..."Go to EonCon1...you must go to EonCon1"

\"...The following Enhancements add 3 auto successes, replacing the normal bonus dice...\"

I've been thinking about this issue recently (i.e. rolling dice to roll dice), and as an alternative I was going to suggest that all of those reduce any difficulties by up to 3.

DBuss

The only problem I can see with doing that is when the difficulty is less than +3.  The difficulty will be lowered, but the Enhancement won't be used to it's full affect.  Then there is the problem of when the difficulty is normal - the default assumption - then the Enhancement becomes useless.

Now...as an alternative you could say that someone with the previous Enhancements only needs to roll a 5 on each dice instead of a 7.  That lowers the Target Number, while keeping the dice rolled to a minimum, and gives the Enhancement some teeth.

It's all up to you though.

Nadrakas..."EonCon...EonCon...EonCon..."

The only problem I can see with doing that is when the difficulty is less than +3.  The difficulty will be lowered, but the Enhancement won't be used to it's full affect.

True.  It is a compromise between the "rolling dice to roll dice" (too weak) and "3 auto succ" (perhaps too strong).  What this does is make the impossible just as easy as the mundane.  And it doesn't remove the need for the companion skill.  I think it is in more of the flavor of the idea of "prodigy", but it is just a proposal.

And I would treat contested rolls (Subterafuge for example) as raising the difficulty.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived