Just sharing.

Wakinyan

Looks to me like people seeing what they want to see. There is a shift, nothing at the time explains it, so we’ll grab the next event in the future.

As for the rest, I don’t think the Nato bombing of Yugoslavia or that submarine had much effect on the world’s psyche. Certainly not compared to the tidal wave.

A good site for this sort of thing is http://www.randi.org/

The guy is a stage magician who looks into paranormal phenomenon.

From the sound of it, the only thing that really supports the theory is that multiple random number generators spiked at the same time (not even really sure that that is the case - the explanation is unclear).

Even then, it is like the Doc said: the spikes could be completely unrelated to world events. It'd be interesting to do a kind of a control study by checking for major events that happened without the system detecting them.

I've heard a bit about it - one of my uncles is Australia's foremost parapsychologist (out of two, admittedly, with the other being his former student), and he's had these sort of devices rigged up before.

I'd like to know what mechanism the devices use for random generation - there's quite a few, and some of them I'd not be surprised that human alpha-wave emissions could affect their output (radio-receiving RNGs, for example, would obviously be sensitive to it). The one my uncle uses is (I think) an isotope-decay RNG - uses the decay of a radioactive isotope for randomness, but there are quite a few others. Now, if human thought can influence pure probabilistic generation of an isotope-decay RNG, that'd tell us something pretty impressive about the world, perhaps give a bit of input into the observer phenomenon.

But world events being predicted? I echo Alex - I'd like a little more controlled study on the matter.

It looks to me like they've seen a spike in their output and then looked around for anything that could possibly be a world event. It's all interesting but largely anecdotal and explained after the fact if you ask me. Sounds a bit like the kind of pseudo-scientific-psycho-babble that WW would come out with when explaining Nova powers.

Not saying that I'm a complete skeptic where predicting the future is concerned but the fact is that people remember and give significance to the weird coincidences more than everyday events.

Archived