EarthDawn: A Brave New World - The Tavern Table: OOC Talk

RM, that sounds great. I love the idea.

SM, are you still keeping the thief? And if so, are you still thinking of multiclassing to wizard? If so, that would be something for Krul and RM to keep in mind as they're deciding what type of spellcaster to play. I don't mind overlap if you all don't, I just don't want two of the same characters out of the gate.

Also, keep in mind that windlings think necromancy is 'icky', so that could cause some inter party tension. Again, if that's what you want, so be it, I just don't want a party that splits.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joani here,

this is the account I'll be using for ED.

I guess I won't be multiclassing with my PC and will instead focus on doing a Warriors job wink

Aside from that, you can expect some Elven arrogance which will surely create some interesting moments with RMs PC. Looking forward to that smile

We could have an Elementalist and a Wizard, that would actually be a very good combo. And then Arcata would have someone to possibly learn wizardry from.

It wouldn't be bad to have a straight wizard (or maybe wizard/illusionist) as well as a multiclassed wizard... if you all don't mind.

Just get together and decide who does what now, and what you're thinking about doing later.

(Let me know if this sort of thing is normally done in PMs. I'm a vestal PbPer.)

Really, I'd be fine playing anything at all. Really! Heck, I could play a thief or a cavalryman or anything at all, and have the same character concept, just a different discipline.... Okay, maybe not the cavalryman, coming from where we are. ;-)

I'm not terribly fond of nethermancers or illusionists, but if that's really what we need, I'll play them as well.

/shrug

Personally, I think that two spellcasters would be a good thing. But, in the end, it's up to you guys. RM, if you want to PM Krul and talk it out, that'd be fine.

Whatever everybody decides, so long as it allows you all to have fun.

Also, I just sent everyone a PM with a template for your character sheet. You don't have to use it, I just figured that it would be easier if you had one.

I think it'd be very smart for us to have two "pure" spellcasters.

Arcata will be a thief for awhile, picking up magic later on. And it doesn't even HAVE to be wizardry she picks up. So...just saying, don't let my multiclass notions dissuade you.

Personally, I favor Elementalist or Wizard as well, but also I am thinking of Archer now, sense Joani's going for warrior.. Decide which one you want to play, RM, and I'll make up my mind on archer, or the other one.

Ok, been reading over stuff, and I find that what I really like the mentality of the Archer, with the Elementalist coming in a close second. Sense there is no Elemental Archer Discipline, I'm going to take Archer, with an intent to take up the Elemental Discipline some time later, as a second Discipline.

Actually, to clarify what I have in mind, for everyone's viewing interest, here we go..

envoyintheforestbyheise.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Misthal Thorn follows Mes ti’Meraerthsa, the path of the Warrior, and is one of the Dae’mistishsa in his view on the elven paths, though he takes the broader view that any discipline can be followed while traveling any of the paths, rather then the more restrained view of a limited number of paths that some of the Dae‘mistishsa do. He chose to take the direct path of the Archer and embrace certain aspects of it, in his following of this path, he takes action over introspection, as those who walk the warrior’s path do, but the Archer discipline tempers this somewhat, as it gives him something of a mystical bent to his view. As an archer, he likes to be direct and to the point, and abhors lies and untruths, he is honest almost to a fault. A young elf, as he begins his adventuring career he intends to learn as much of the world as he can, before he takes his next step along the paths.

He carves his own arrows, making a few each day, and carving runes in Sperethiel along the shafts as he does, adding a swirl around the arrows themselves, and making them as artistically and astatically beautiful as possible. He prefers to use black feathers for most of his arrows, but sometimes he choses other colors if he’s seeking a particular ascetic for an arrow, most commonly in those cases it’s a red feather of sorts. He often strokes a completed arrow with a loving touch as he puts it into his quiver, at which point he views it as prepared to make it’s mark on the world.

Though he controls it, he does feel as though his arrows are eager to strike a target, that each arrow feels a destiny, and that destiny is to strike a target, and they all seem eager to find their destiny. Some of his better arrows he saves for a particular moment or destiny, as preparation for a greater task then an ordinary target.

He is incredibly intelligent, perceptive and strong willed, but his incredible dexterity is most remarkable, giving him a natural agility that seems almost amazing, his every moment is made with a grace that only adds to his natural appearance and charisma.

In clothing, to mark his present path, he mostly chooses to wear dark colors, black and grays are preferred, but he also likes to mix blacks and reds, and browns are the one color he makes the least use of in his clothing choices, but he does sometimes use it. [in the above picture, imagine the green is a black, and the white is a dark gray]

I will add this as well, I thought I had, but realized I forgot to mention it. It was a house rule when I played TT EarthDawn, and I really like it compared to how the book states it should be.

Adding karma to dice rolls:

1) Can only be used on discipline talents and other rolls as granted by your class, per the rulebook.

1a) Talents that require the use of a karma, you get to roll that one karma die and no more. If it is a discipline talent, you get to choose whether you want to spend the karma or not, per the rulebook.

2) On rolls that are eligible for karma, you can make your regular roll before deciding whether or not to add karma (you don't have to, but really, why waste it if you're not going to need it, right?). You also have the option, if one karma isn't enough to get the desired result, you can spend more, even to the point that you run out. You can do this one karma die at a time.

This is where the saying 'and the karma flows like water' came from in my group. And that, coupled with having to buy it with legend points stunted some characters growth. But, you guys don't have to worry about spending legend points on karma, so no worries.

I'll add this to the 'rules/creation' post... the one that has the map on it.

Originally Posted By: Stargaizer

2) On rolls that are eligible for karma, you can make your regular roll before deciding whether or not to add karma (you don't have to, but really, why waste it if you're not going to need it, right?). You also have the option, if one karma isn't enough to get the desired result, you can spend more, even to the point that you run out. You can do this one karma die at a time.

This is where the saying 'and the karma flows like water' came from in my group. And that, coupled with having to buy it with legend points stunted some characters growth. But, you guys don't have to worry about spending legend points on karma, so no worries.

I'll add this to the 'rules/creation' post... the one that has the map on it.

Oh... sorry to barge in but I have to strongly object this and kindly ask you to reconsider. I try to give you some reasons for this because the above stated Houserule is a gamebraker imho.

First of all, there is a very specific Archer-Talent that does exactly that and adding this Houserule would make that Talent obsolete and undesirable to obtain for the Archer-Discipline. It is one of their defining Talents, because they can obtain it at their first circle and is called True Shot.

Second - All Disciplines get an extra Karma-Dice boost (i. e. they may spend an extra Karma on all rolls attached to a specific Attribute) around Circles 4 to 8 - it is also a pivotal point in character development and wouldn't be as desirable to reach since you can spent as many Karma as you want per Houserule if you decide to stick to it.

Third - running out of Legend Points. I think that problem comes up BECAUSE of the Houserule. If you can use as much Karma as you want on every single roll of your talents than you surely will run out of Karma - most likely every other fight. The real limiter is your Karma Ritual Talent which sets how many Karma Points you can recharge each morning. The LP you have to invest are part of the entire Earthdawn world and I never felt it was stunting Character progression. You have to household a little and save up a few points to make sure you have enough Karma and should really ever run out set out to hunt a creature that grants a huge LP-Bonus by obtaining Trophies (check the critter-section - there's always provided a trophy for most creatures that you can either sell or convert into LPs).

Not worrying to spent LP on Karma has never been an issue in the games I was involved. I usually kept around 500 LPs around just for Karma and I never really ran out. Aside from that - SHOULD you run out, you can take 1 point of damage instead and convert that to Karma - this is also a very integral part of the entire games mechanics. If you take out those aspects it won't be the same (at least for me, don't know what the others think about this.)

I must confess - if you want to stay with this houserule I'd have to reconsider my submission because it is a gamebreaking addition to an otherwise sound and working game-mechanic. There is no need to make the Adepts even more awesome - their ability to channel Karma is what makes them stand out already compared to your average John Doe Adventurer/Soldier/Whatever.

Just my two cents and if I came off a bit pissed or something I apologize but I felt I had to comment on this. I don't want to put any pressure on you SG, it is your game after all but I most likely won't join it if you keep that Houserule. That's not ED for me. (May sound silly, but it is like that, sorry)

Sincerely
Joani

PS: Oh and I forgot about the races Karmapools, which are also a very special part of them and can even influence your choice of Race/Discipline. Windlings for example have this advantage of having a d10 Karma Dice and a pool of 60 (more than twice as high as most other races).

I've thought it over, and I have to confess, but I'm not sure that I like the second idea either. Though my feeling isn't quite as strong, I'm not entirely happy with it either. Maybe in a tabletop game, but even there, I wouldn't be completely happy with it.

At this point, there is a limit on karma you can spend at one time, which I was happy with, and the Karma Ritual was important, but not extremely so.

This rule turns the Karma Ritual Talent into something much more important that I think it was ever intended to be. It also makes Karma far more important then it was meant to be, IMO.. and Karma is already extremely important.

Also, it unbalances the various races, who have different levels of Karma, which I don't like at all, but that was covered in the above post.

Like Joani, I'd like to ask you to reconsider.

I haven't played ED enough to have a detailed opinion on the matter.

That said, perhaps it's best to stick to the rules as written, at least to start out with, and see how it goes. If there are problems, we can then discuss possible houserule solutions based on our particular needs. Each group is different, after all.

Just a few clarifications, because I think that you misunderstood me just a little Joani.

You are correct in that what I am suggesting is pretty much what true shot requires, with the exception that it isn't compulsory, and you can use karma even once you have succeeded in order to increase the level of success (i.e. get an ap shot)

I was never suggesting that you could use karma on anything other than what the book said you could use karma for, I was just saying that you could use more, and in a different manner. That being said, the Karma abilities (able to use karma on any roll/action that uses a specific attribute only) actually become more desirable, in my opinion, not less. With my houserule, as a wizard for example, you can use as much karma as you want to hit somebody with a spell, but you just have to deal with the effect that you roll until 7th circle. At 7th circle you get to roll karma for any willpower/willforce only roll, which encompasses most spell effect rolls. To me that makes the 7th circle karma ability even more desirable, not less.

I would have to tend to agree with you that the exorbanant amount of lp that I spend on karma while playing under this houserule was probably because of this house rule. That may have been the reason that I started not liking having to spend lp's to purchase karma, but it's not the only reason. I tend to think that karma should be more along the lines of willpower or quantum pool or blood pool. It's something that you have, and that you can use, and then you do a certain action IC to recover some/all. That was why I made the houserule, originally, that when you preformed your karma ritual, that you roll your karma die and that was how much karma you recovered (at no lp cost).

I thought that this houserule would make it more enjoyable for everybody, but if you want to go by the books on this, then I'll go by the books. I don't want to make a rule to make more fun that will actually make people upset, dislike the system, and leave.

So...

Rules on Karma

1) Can only be used on discipline talents and other rolls as granted by your class, per the rulebook.

1a) Talents that require the use of a karma, you get to roll that one karma die and no more. If it is a discipline talent, you get to choose whether you want to spend the karma or not, per the rulebook.

1b) If the character has no karma and wants to use a talent that requires karma, the character may sacrifice a recovery test to power that talent as per the rulebook.

2) On any eligible roll you may spend a maximum of 1 karma, and it has to be rolled at the same time as the rest of your dice. (please post it separately though)

3)Players may, after having successfully completing a karma ritual, purchase at the lp cost listed in the book a number of karma points not to exceed their rank in karma ritual.

4) Players will still start out will full karma pools. It will be assumed that between when the character became an adept and the start of the game that they have preformed successful karma rituals but have had little or no excuse to use karma while in the kaer.

I'm kinda with Joani on this one--though I certainly don't see it as a game-breaker for me. I would rather have karma cost legend points. As Joani says, I think how much karma you have available is an important character decision. If one opts not to spend on karma at all in order to more quickly improve talents...that's a choice. If you want the luckiest son of a bitch on the planet...that's a choice too. Again, not such a big deal for me, but after seeing the arguments and thinking it through, I'd rather to stick to the book as well.

Well, I'm glad that we're in agreement. There is only one aspect that I have changed, and that is the starting karma.

I would really prefer if you all started out with full pools, seeing as how you're almost circle 2 characters. If this is a major issue, please speak up now or forever (at least until the game ends) hold your peace.

Also, would everyone make sure that you put your Init, Death/Wound rating, recovery die, recovery test, Karma (step, current/max), Physical/Spell/Social Defense, Physical/Mystic Armor, Carry/Lift, Full/Combat Movement, and stuff like age, height, weight, skin/eye/hair color into your character sheet.

Also, for everyone who hasn't, would you be able to edit your first post and put the subject in the following format:

[EarthDawn] Name

Thank you, that is all.

Ok, that's three completed sheets, so now we just need to finish AW's, and I need a sheet from Joani.

Joani, I know that you've been having issues, but is there any way that you could get me something? A sheet or an ETA on one would both be equally appreciated.

Wednesday is fine Joani, glad to hear that everything is going better.

Once I get an updated sheet from AW and SM (which will leave Joani the only one without a completed sheet), I'll put up a post here. It will describe the setting and give everybody a jumping off point for your 'what I was doing on a normal day that later turned out to be not so normal' post. Then everybody can start their own thread in the forum that Chosen specified. (hopefully this will be tonight or sometime tomorrow)

That way, everybody can go ahead and start and Joani will only be a post behind at most.

Cool with everyone?

Ok, I'm going to wait until I have 4 out of the 5 sheets (whose ever they are), and then I'll post up the starting point for you all. Right now I have 2 completed sheets.

Thanks for your patience Krul and RM. We'll get this off the ground, don't worry.

No worries from my end. This gives me more time to get over through the current Real World crisis, and get some more rule readings in. wink

That, and finding an appropriate icon, which I haven't had much luck with so far.

Is there anyone I should be talking to about character tie-ins, SG, or is that something that should be dealt with once you've got all the character sheets?

RM, tie-ins with other characters should be done in backgrounds. I'll suggest SM's character, both because of your father's positions and because I think you or your mother might actually listen to her (or maybe just your mother... then again, maybe not).

I don't know any of Joani's backstory yet, and very little of AW's. Misthal and Arcata might know each other, again, because of Misthal's father and Arcata sharing a discipline. Beyond that, I don't really have any ideas. Whatever you all want to do in this regard is fine by me. Just make sure to note it somewhere, that so and so are sworn enemies, that these two have been best friends since birth, or that they have never heard of each other (or that they've heard of each other, but have never met).

Just keep in mind that it is a closed community, and even though it is semi-segregated, you all appear to be coming from the same general area. You might have at least heard of each other...

Oh, and Joani, enjoy your birthday. I'm just glad that you're feeling better (hopefully enough to enjoy it).

Let's keep it in PM's until we actually get a forum. Then you can post it either in a fiction thread or with your character sheet.

On that note, would anybody have a problem with posting their character sheets in a way similar to either Star Wars: The New Sith Empire (full sheets in a single thread), ItB (general knowledge but no real numbers), or IE (full sheets, each in their own thread, eventually put into their own subforum)? Which would be preferred?

Archived