Aberrant: Mutant High - Nature of the Morrigan

z-The Morrigan

The coffee mug crashed dramatically to the desk, the dark liquid sloshing around in the cup. The owner of the beverage didn’t notice that some splashed out over on her desk. Eileen Gomez was too angry to notice such trivial things. She stabbed a quick sequence of keys on her computer, then snatched the print off that the printer produced.

She stormed out of her office, causing several other instructors to blink. Eileen didn’t storm, she didn’t scowl and she certainly didn’t ever look this angry. She was the quietest, calmest teacher in the school, and even the other teachers were concerned when they saw her like this. It meant something was amiss.

At the front office, she shoved oven the door and marched up to Gracie, the secretary. The woman’s eyebrows rose at the sight of an angry Eileen, but she didn’t flinch when the woman shoved a printout under her nose. “What is this?” Eileen demanded.

“That appears to be a print off from a student’s file,” Gracie said calmly. She’d seen more frightening things in her time here than Eileen, and It showed on her face.

“No, this,” Eileen snapped, stabbing her finger into the paper.

Gracie peered. “That appears to be a roommate assignment.”

Eileen saw she was getting nowhere and switched tactics. “Why is Kazuo Kanai listed as Morri’s roommate?”

Gracie quirked an eyebrow. “Because Sarah requested a roommate transfer, and with it being so close to the beginning of the semester, we matched Morri with who was left.”

“Of all! Damn it!” Eileen flailed her arms in impotent rage. “Who decided that?!”

“I did,” Dr. Drumm said, standing in the doorway. “My office, Ms. Gomez, if you please.”

Setting her shoulders, Eileen stomped into his office, her cute face twisted with anger. “What the hell were you thinking!” she demanded the second the door closed.

“I was thinking several things, like how much I’d just saved on my auto insurance,” Dr. Drumm said. At the choked sound that Eileen made, Drumm held up a hand. “Sorry,” he said before continuing. “Eileen, I chose Mr. Kanai for several reasons. First, he’s not the kind of person who takes advantage of the weaker. His history proves that. Second, he’s not so soft-hearted that he’d baby Morri. She needs help, not a mother-hen. And third, perhaps most important, he’s one of the few students in the school who can take the kind of punishment that your ward can administer while not having the raw power to just kill her in a fight. She’s going to fight, Eileen. We all know it. And if we can keep her around people who won’t kill her and she can’t kill, we’re not going to have corpses stacking up.”

“I don’t like it,” she said.

“I know you don’t,” Dr. Drumm replied. “But I spent quite a bit of time on the issue, and I think it’s the best match.”

“I hope you’re right,” Eileen said. She didn’t want to think about all the ways this could go horribly, terribly wrong.

It was a simple matter to pull Kazuo Kanai's schedule. Eileen then just had to consider what to do with it. Her initial thought was to offer the young man money to move out. His record suggested he might be moved by that. Her next thought was that Drumm would probably frown on that, in the extreme.

That left her with only a few options, one of which was very unsavory. But she decided that talking to him, no matter how personally irritating she found the idea, was probably for the best.

She knew she wasn't being fair. She'd have nothing against Kazuo save that he'd ended up as Morri's roommate after she'd gone through all the trouble of finding the perfect roommate for her. It wasn't that she didn't trust Drumm's logic; it was just that he didn't know Morri the way she did. She was sure that his opinions were somewhat flawed. He'd made a good choice, based on the information he had; he just didn't have good information.

She found him walking between buildings, going from one class to another. The tall Japanese native was hunched into his jacket, looking like the New York cold disagreed with him. She was much the same; the winters were so hard on someone who had grown up in a more tropical climate. Licking her frozen lips, she hesitated, thinking. Should she do this?

She thought of Morri, sweet, innocent, lost Morri, and felt her resolve strengthen. "Mr. Kanai!" she called, picking up her pace enough to intercept him. "Do you have a moment?" She knew that he did, class-wise. He had just gotten out of his last class and should have the time.

Kazuo turned to see the school's therapist heading right for him, and immediately felt his gut clench. It wasn't that Eileen Gomez was seriously hawt that caused his gut to clench up (though she really, really was), but rather it had to do with the hideous flaw that marred her otherwise pristine beauty: she was a therapist.

Bracing himself for the worst (which would be that she wanted to practice her profession on him), Kazuo stopped as she approached and said, "Sure, I guess. Wutcha need?"

And there it was - many students were nervous around her because they were afraid of being poked and pried some more. Eileen laughed, a charming sound. "Relax," she assured him. "This is personal, not professional."

He looked at her, not sure he believed her. "I understand you're rooming with Morri," she said, pulling her jacket tighter. "I have a personal interest in her, and I was wondering how it was going with you two. Are you comfortable? Is she? Do you feel that things are going well?"

She really hoped he'd hate having Morri as a roommate, and she could open the possibility of a transfer. Someone here would be willing to room with the Morrigan, someone more appropriate.

Damn! She even conversed like a therapist! 'Do you feel that things are going well?' Who asks questions like that?

Kazuo shrugged his shoulders and tried not to look impatient. "Things're fine, I guess. I dunno."

He could tell his answer wasn't really what Eileen was looking for, so he quirked an eyebrow and tried to elaborate, "Look, I don't give a shi- uh... I mean, I don't really care who they stick in the room with me, ta be honest. But all things being equal, Morri's pretty cool I guess. Why?"

Eileen was taken aback slightly. The last thing she'd expected was for Kanai to like Morri's company. "Oh," she murmured, then quickly recovered. "That's wonderful. I'm assuming though, that there have been adjustment issues. Has she tried to hurt you? Threatened you? Scared you?"

Maybe if she was unsuitable to be anyone's roommate, then Morri would get a room alone. That would be a long shot and would probably require her to go through several roommates, but it might truly be the best option.

Her expression was earnest and without guile as she watched him. But he could tell that this wasn't a professional or even casual interest. She was digging for something; he'd had it done to him enough to know the signs.

• 2 weeks later...

Kazuo's eye narrowed in suspicion as he watched Eileen. "I just said things're fine, didn't I?", he said with what he felt was just a touch of impatience and irritation, but was in fact rather a lot of impatience and irritation. Subtle, Kazuo Kanai was not.

"Look, if I'm in trouble fer somethin', just say so, alright?" The scarred youth glanced around as though reassuring himself that he was being clandestinely observed from a distance by some, as-yet-unknown cohort of Eileen's, and then turned back to her, "An' if you think I'm gonna inform on any of the other students - especially my own frickin' roommate - yer dead wrong. Ma'am."

"I don't expect you to inform on anyone," Eileen said, deciding to shift gears. "I have a special interest in Morri - I'm the one who rescued her from her slavery and got her here. I've had to teach her how to be civilized, enough that she can be here. I want to make sure she's doing alright, that she's getting along with people and is happy. As her roommate, I'm sure you know by now how hard it is to communicate with her, so I'm asking those who know her."

She tilted her head, her gaze becoming a little more stern. "And if you were in trouble, I'd tell you at the start. This is literally just about me checking up on my ward."

Why was it that conversations with a shrink always seemed to be more confusing than they had any right to be? It was obvious to Kazuo that this chick had an agenda, but damned if she was gonna come right out and say what it was. He could feel a headache coming on already.

And her taking a 'stern' tone with him when, by her own admission, he wasn't in trouble? Talk about your poor decisions...

Kazuo frowned at Eileen with annoyance as he said, "Yeah, well I gotta be honest, lady; to me it don't sound like you gotta very high opinion of yer 'ward'. Like yer expectin' her to screw up."

Then something Eileen had just said clicked in Kazuo's brain. "Hey, wayduminnut - wudya mean ya rescued her from slavery? She never said nothin' about that!"

Eileen smiled sadly. "Do you think she can articulate that? I know how far she's come, but right now, she can barely handle rudimentary words and concepts. When I've talked to her about it, she shuts me out. She doesn't understand it, but she knows that it's something that she doesn't like. Normally, I don't discuss students with one another." She studied him quietly before saying, "But you should know, for your own safety."

Eileen gazed out over the snow, gathering her thoughts. "I'd heard about a mutant in Africa named the Morrigan. I'd heard that she was being used as a weapon by a man, but it wasn't until I found the photographer who took the 'Face of Blood' picture that I was able to confirm..."

Eileen was tired. The trip had taken much out of her, leaving her weary. She had no time to rest; she had a limited window of opportunity. She'd had to drive three hours across war-torn Sudan with only two locals for protection to meet the photographer. Then he'd sent her six in another direction altogether to find the man she sought.

The American was just as described: hair-haired, well-built and in his early thirties. He was also deep in a bottle. Eileen could deal with that - that was actually going to help things. She approached the seat next to him and sat down, waiting for him to notice her. When he did, it was with the sloe-eyed squint of someone who was only half-here. Smiling at him, she cautiously nudged his emotions a bit closer to where she needed them. He smiled back, and they began to chatter.

Within an hour, she had him talking about his work. As he went on and on about the delicate balance of chemical receptors in the brain, Eileen listened with growing disgust. She pretended an ignorance she didn't really feel as she made up her mind: her sources were right. The girl was a de facto slave.

"This is all so interesting," Eileen said, her smile slipping. "But how do you feel about being a slaver?" At the same time, she nudged his guilt, already substantial, up a bit more.

"I... what?" he slurred at her, his own smile fading.

"How. Do. You. Feel. About. Being. A. Fucking. Slaver?" she hissed, barely restraining herself from opening the gates wide on his guilt. But that might set him off, rather than cave him in. Better to let him develop it in his own time.

But all it took was time: by the end of the night, she'd convinced him to let her see the feral mutant. Gazing down into the bar-covered pit where they kept her, Eileen touched the mind she'd come so far to find - and found only rage and fear. There was nothing human there anymore; only a terrified animal, fighting for its life. The girl growled at her, pacing the cage wildly. Very carefully, Eileen began to adjust those emotions, beginning a careful balance that would take her over a month to perfect...

"I don't know exactly what she endured, but I do know that they used her like an attack dog, and left her collared and caged the rest of the time," she told Kazuo, her voice soft. "The damage from the drugs has given her total amnesia. She is slowly repairing the damage, but we don't know if the memories themselves will be restored. She might spend the rest of her life unable to remember anything before being collared, caged and drugged into submission." She watched him closely as she finished, waiting for his reaction.

"That is seriously fucked up", was Kazuo's response to Eileen after he'd spent a moment just staring with his mouth open a little. In truth, Kazuo was disgusted. Eileen's story made him want to hit something out of anger and frustration at a world that he kept hoping would disappoint his cynical expectations, but that never did. He allowed very little of that emotion to escape however, instead hiding as best he could behind the indifference of teenaged youth that was both his sword and shield in these kinds of emotional situations.

After a moment spent contemplating the tragedy of Morri's life, Kazuo's inherent cockiness returned (really, it was more like it was a comfort blanket that he pulled out to take his mind off Eileen's story), and he said, "Anyway, I don't know if you just didn't read my file, or if the one they got on me here aint that great, but you really don't need ta worry 'bout my safety. My life hasn't been as fucked up as Morri's, but I seen the wrong end of fists, feet, gun barrels and knives enough times to know what to do about it." Kazuo pointed at his ruined eye and the scarring that ran over his face as if to say 'See all this? You don't see it slowing me down, do you?', and then added, "Besides, we both know it's not me yer worried about here, is it Doc?"

Eileen was taken off guard by that last comment, just a bit. But then she nodded, now having a better understanding of what made Kazuo tick. "To say that I'm not worried about you is inaccurate," Eileen said, being frank. "I certainly have a greater emotional attachment to Morri. But you are a student in this school, and I am concerned about your well-being, too. Morri can be dangerous, and I'm glad to hear that you think you can handle it. If you can't, please let me know. I know her better than anyone, and can help if there's an issue."

She wondered how this would change the way he treated his roommate. Eileen doubted he would radically change the way he treated her, but perhaps it would change the way he perceived her. That might be enough for him to give her a bit more patience than he normally would. That would have to be enough. "Do you have any questions for me?"

To Kazuo, Eileen's circuitous way of speaking was both fascinating and irritating. It was like she was going to a great deal of trouble, and using as many words as she could, to say anything other than what she actually meant. It took a lot of extra work on Kazuo's part to decipher it all and translate it out to its underlying meaning of "I do care about and your personal safety Mr. Kanai, though it's true this is only because I'm paid to. Should you run into any trouble that it's my professional responsibility to deal with, you let me know - unless it's trouble with Morri - in which case, you be sure to let me know even if it's not my professional responsibility to deal with it."

Still, Kazuo could appreciate and admire the way she was looking out for Morri, even if the strange feral girl wasn't aware of it herself. He thought about his own mother, who'd all but disowned and abandoned him long before it was discovered he was a mutant, and wondered what it was like to have someone looking out for you the way that Eileen was looking out for Morri. He had a handful of vague, idealized memories of his father from before he'd died, but after that it was just his mother, cold, distant and promiscuous, and the string of uncaring strange men that she'd brought home with her year after year. He and Morri, Kazuo reflect, had more in common than he'd realized: they both knew what it felt like to live in a world in which literally no one gave a damn about them.

Kazuo returned his attention to Eileen and saw her in a slightly different way than he had before. He realized that she wasn't just being the annoying school counselor, asking him questions that were way too personal and that he didn't even know the answers to himself, but that she actually cared a great deal about the mutant girl she'd rescued from slavery. It occurred to him then that Eileen was probably trying to size him up right now, making sure he was suitable to be roommates with Morri, and determining how much she would need protection from a guy like him. Kazuo had to smile inside; even he agreed that he was the kind of guy that impressionable young girls should probably be protected from.

Not that he was going to let on that he'd realized any of this, or agreed with any of it. Kazuo had an image to maintain, after all, and that image did not include being sensitive, understanding, or thoughtful, dammit.

So instead he covered it all up by smiling mischievously at Eileen's last question and said, "Well, I know I'm probably gonna get in trouble fer askin' this, but are you single?"

Eileen wanted to deliver her usual firm but decisive 'no', but even she wasn't completely immune to Kazuo's super-human charm. "Yes, I am. But I'm sorry, Mr. Kanai, but I'm not allowed to date students. I also don't date uneducated men. Look me up when you graduate." She gave him a bemused smile, one which said she may have been joking about looking her up - but maybe not.

"Good day, Mr. Kanai. Thank you for your time," she added and turned, walking away from him. She still wore that bemused smile. She'd never, ever violated the school's code of conduct and date a student, but she might date an ex-student. Though she wasn't sure that he was her type. She shrugged off the thought. It wasn't something she was going to have to worry about for a while.

It still didn't help her with her concerns about Morri. Perhaps it was time to engage other help.

• 2 months later...

Walking down the footpath, Eileen paused as she saw an unmistakable figure heading straight for her. She had heard plenty of others mention this student, particularly the males ones, and tried to hide her bemused smile at the rather apt nickname.

With astonishingly long legs, an absolutely tiny waist, too perfect complexion and face, glistening platinum blond hair that fell below her waist, and preceded by perhaps the most spectacular pair of breasts Eileen had ever seen, sixteen year-old Sonja Bahaar did bear a remarkable resemblance to a living, breathing Barbie Doll. A rather amazonic one, she amended, when the six foot two sophomore stopped right in front of her.

"Ms. Gomez, you're the one that brought Morri here, right?" Sonja asked, but she continued without waiting for confirmation, indigo eyes earnest and intense. "I've been trying to help her fit in, adapt, y'know, but I've been having... trouble. It's like - she's not... What happened to her? Where's she from? I think I've been helping, but sometimes, I say something that sets her off, or I stick my foot in my mouth, and I want to know how to avoid any future, potential landmines. Or at least get a warning. My wardrobe has been taking a beating lately."

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like I was talking to the wrong student, Eileen thought ruefully to herself. "Actually, Ms. Bahaar, you may be just the person I was looking for. Let's go to my office. It's warmer there." As they fell into step together, Eileen drew her thoughts together.

Once in the small office, she offered to get the blond bombshell a drink, which Sonja politely declined. It was so refreshing dealing with a student so unlike Kazuo that the woman found herself smiling. It was such a relief to not have to deal with an angry, violence-prone mutant - though as she recalled, Ms. Bahaar had been in some fights as well, if the rumors were to be believed. Unlike Mr. Kanai, she didn't get caught doing it, however.

Taking a seat, she considered the eager young woman a moment before she said, "Dealing with Morri is very rough. Even with my skills being focused in that area, I find it difficult to accurately predict her reactions."

Sitting back, Eileen began the story of how she had heard of, tracked and rescued Morri. She kept the details sparse; there was no need to elaborate and horrify the young woman. Despite the loss of a younger sister, there was no record of Sonja having any trauma in her life - beyond being considered a second-class citizen, of course. But Eileen didn't want to be too graphic.

"And so, that's her history. She's literally a child in a young mutant's body, stronger and tougher than she understands," Eileen finished. "She's made rapid progress in understanding social norms, but she still has a long way to progress." She gave Sonja a smile. "I'm hoping that friendships with people such as yourself will help her progress further still."

• 1 year later...

Lovely indigo eyes narrowed, the fine lines of her jaw tightened with sympathy and anger hearing Morri's story. After hearing the situations some of her schoolmates had suffered, Sonja was well aware she had been very fortunate, despite with what she had done to Sean Cassidy and having a sister like 'Neca. But Morri's was she worst she had heard yet. Even with the sanitized details Ms. Gomez gave her, Sonja's imagination was supplying all sorts of terrible things, both real and imagined.

Ms. Gomez noted the way the tall young woman raised her hands from the molded steel arms of her chair and laced her fingers tightly together, the sleek muscles of her forearms rippling. Eileen recalled more of Sonja's file, remembering the circumstances that had revealed the girl's mutant nature putted a boy in the hospital then a wheelchair. By most accounts, Sonja reveled in her capabilities, yet tried her best to keep the collateral damage to a minimum, with exceptions due to youthful exuberance. The steel frame of the chair would fare poorly against the strength in Sonja's fingers.

"I'll do everything I can to help Morri," Sonja promised with an eager nod. She knew what it was like not knowing just how strong and fast you were compared to other people. Sean Cassidy may have forgiven her, but his parents hadn't. She smiled ruefully as she plucked at her shirt. "Yeah, um, my wardrobe is learning Morri has a ways to go."

Sonja glanced up quickly, eyes wide and apologetic as she reached across the desk with a staying hand. "Not that she's not worth - she totally is! I like her - you always know where you stand with her. If she's... well, a little odd, oddity just gives her character. I'll go see if I can find her! Later Ms. Gomez, and thanks for me telling me about... y'know. It'll help with stepping around the Morri-mentation mines."

Sonja bounced to her feet - causing a cornucopia of associated bouncing - and slipped on her coat. But at the door, she paused, glancing over her shoulder at Ms. Gomez. "Um, Morri... Is it better if I don't mention any of what happened to her or should I try to urge her to talk about it, Ms. Gomez? She, uh, didn't react well when Curtis mentioned Vyse... and I know trying to pretend something didn't happen or never acknowledging it doesn't work." Her ready grin was tinged with melancholy. "I know it doesn't."

"Well," Eileen said thoughtfully, "I'd say that discussing them is find, but I found that Morri doesn't talk very well right now. She has a hard time expressing herself - I'm sure you've noticed that - and that makes it harder for her. She would benefit from expressing and working out her feelings, but with her limited vocabulary, that dialogue is likely to be more frustrating than helpful at this time. However, leave yourself open to the possibility of her discussing that. Don't edit yourself and don't push her - just speak naturally. That sense that it's okay to talk, in her own time, will lead her to a comfortable place to disclose." Eileen smiled, her expression somewhere between sad and proud. "You'll find that Morri is quite expressive in ways you won't expect. I also think you are a great friend who can help her in ways I don't even suspect yet."

"Ok, Ms. Gomez," the blonde bombshell said and was gone, her expression set in grim, yet hopeful - and of course, beautiful - lines. To be that young, Eileen sighed as she turned her chair to look out the window. To be sure ready to take on the world, to think I already know the worst it can throw at me. Eileen knew the truth. She knew that the world was darker and uglier than the youth ever imagined it could be, and it had a way of staining even the noblest of souls.

And then, occasionally, the youth surprised the world and shook off the ugliness to rise above it. Jericho believed with all his heart that every one of these kids would shock the world, that they would carry a light into the darkness. Eileen wanted to believe that, and she'd work as if she did believe it. But sometimes, in some cases, she thought that it might be true.

Archived