World of Darkness: Attrition - Better Late Than Never

SalmonMax

"I appreciate that, Ariel."

This wasn't going to be easy. Ariel wasn't going to cotton to any bullshit, Declan looked like he was expecting her to pull a miracle out of her pocket, Moss was unreadable, and Swara... hell, it was iffy at best if Swara really had any idea what this was all about. And of course, there was Amber, bearing a look that could curdle milk from twenty paces.

But Sarah had been given an opportunity to present her case, and that's what she did.

"First off, just to get it out of the way, I know full well that I'm not one of the People, and that I never will be. And even if someone pulled out a magic wand and offered to turn me into one, I'd turn it down, because this was the plan Luna had for me, and I accept that.

"So there's going to be things I can't do. Daytime activities are a no-go. Probably couldn't use a fetish if I tried. No gifts, no rites... you already know the score.

"But there are things I can offer. You already know I can change into a bird; I can provide aerial recon and patrol. I'm good in a fight and can take a lot of bullets before I go down. I can talk with animals, and don't think that hasn't come in real handy. I can contribute to a totem and help keep the bans. I've sworn the Oath, and while I'm not perfect I try my best to hold to it. I offer my territory and the locus on it, of course. And I can offer 100% dedication to the pack. I'll never have a tribe or lodge, I don't have a day job to deal with, and I'll sure as fuck never join any of the vampire crap. If I'm in, you've got me in full."

She paused for a second before continuing.

"I want this. It's selfish, but I want this in ways I don't even have words to express. I've been around enough of the People to know that when you're on your own long enough, when you don't have a pack long enough, you start to lose it. I'm not the same as you, but I have that same need. Whether it's from Luna or part of my blood or both, I don't know, but I don't want to lose myself as a lone wolf.

"Is it possible that I could find another pack? Sure. Hell, if I hauled ass up to Sonoma, I could probably join them; I'm pretty sure that Tail-High would have me." She smiled for a moment at the memory before refocusing on the task at hand. "But I don't want to join just any pack."

She looked around the room, at each and every person present. "I don't have a family. But I want one. I want this family. I want to go out and hunt together. I want to sit in here and hang out together. I want to work and play and laugh and rage and howl together. I want Declan to be my brother, and have for well over a year, and Moss too. I want Ariel to be my sister as well as the Alpha that I think she's going to be. Swara, I think you and I already have a lot in common for being so different, and that says a lot. And Amber?" she said, looking the Rahu in the eyes. "I'm not your cousin, not anymore. Took me a long time to understand that, and longer to accept it. But I want to be your sister in the pack."

There it was. Everything Sarah hoped, every spoken and unspoken dream, was laid out in front of the pack. She'd known the chances were thin when Ariel asked her to come the night before, but even so, she dared to hope. It was really all she had left.

Click to reveal..

Rolling Sublunario for Persuasion boost at the start of this thing, spending a Willpower for extra help:

(13:40:15) ChatBot: (Sarah_Dead-Wolf) rolls 5d10 and gets 9,5,5,4,9.

Two successes.

Rolling Presence + Persuasion (with the bonus dice from Sublunario) for the actual Persuasion attempt:

(13:44:06) ChatBot: (Sarah_Dead-Wolf) rolls 5d10 and gets 4,8,9,7,8.

Three successes.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ariel was quiet for a second until she was satisifed Sarah had said everything she meant to say. Then she nodded.

"Okay, Sarah. We'll need some time now." She smiled. "Won't take all night though, so let me have you wait outside. I know you can hear through walls, but I'll accept on your honor you'll give us some privacy. I'll come and get you when we're ready."

Sarah gave a little chuckle at that. "Don't worry, I'll keep my ears pointed elsewhere. I'll be out back when you've make your decision."

With one last look around the room, she headed out the back door, closing it firmly behind her before wandering out into the yard to sit beneath a tree. With her back pressed against the reassuring strength of the old oak, she waited.

Click to reveal..
Sarah is not using Auspex for hearing at this time.

"Well." Dec picked up his glass of milk and leaned back in his seat, watching the other wolves around the table. He took a gulp from his glass and shrugged. "Seein' as someone's gotta speak first, I'll pitch in my two cents. If it were up to me, Sarah would be in. Not cuz she's cousin to a werewolf. Not because she's some hooey bastard hybrid of Uratha and leech. But because she's proved over and over again that she's willin' to help us, and if a Totem spirit will accept her, there's no damn good reason for her not to run with us as one of us." He eyed Amber. "Personal baggage aside, logically and tactically she'd be a good packmate."

"And that's all I got to say about that." The bulky-shouldered Rahu smiled wryly and indicated the others with a sweep of one hand. "Now you guys have at the bone." He took another drink, watching them.

"I'm confused," Swara-Ann said suddenly. "Last night she couldn't tell me enough how much she hated what she was and what she'd become. Now suddenly tonight she understands Luna's grand plan for her and she accepts everything? Hell, I don't understand anything."

She shrugged and dipped back into her salad which was loaded with way too much bacon n' ranch dressing. "I mean, really, she's a better choice than me, she can have my place n' everything. It's not like I can do all the stuff you guys can. I'm a person and that's, from what I've seen and heard, that's not what you're looking for. She's a wolf. She knows how to be a wolf and all she knows is wolf. The concept of two legs is completely lost on her, she didn't even think of getting in a truck with us and driving somewhere, she had to be a wolf and run."

She chewed a small bite and was still talking, despite having food in her mouth. "I know there's no cure for this, and I still don't get what's going on entirely, but seriously, either she totally made up that spiel just a second ago, or she totally made that crap up that she told me last night. If so, I'm kinda miffed at her..."

She sipped her milk and crinkled her nose a bit as the taste of excessive dressing and what was in her glass didn't mix well. "Gawd that's gross... I don't recommend it."

Dec blinked at Swara, clearly a little confused at what she'd just said.

"Wait a sec. Did you just say that Sarah bullshitted you?" A growl entered his voice, though whether at Sarah or at Swara, it was hard to tell. Then he blinked again and pondered, the growl fading from his voice. "Actually, she's always hated bein' a vampire. I can see why she might think that her becoming one was Luna's plan... But that don't make it so. Acceptance is a long way from actually liking somethin', too. Fer instance, I accept that this pack, if it forms, probably ain't goin' to take me as it's Alpha." He looked levely at Ariel. "I accept it, but I don't like it." He let that hang in the air, then looked at Swara.

"But that's cool, because I don't have to like it. Like Sarah don't have to like being a bloodsucker, and you don't have to like being a werewolf. It's the way things are, so we have to deal. Looked at like that, Sarah ain't lying so much as confused as hell."

"Fuck you, Declan." Swara-Ann her fists clenched tight the napkin at the side of her bowl before suddenly lashing ou and throwing the lightweight paper in his face. "You crush an innocent five year-old's skull in your jaws and then you come and tell me you like what you are!"

"I don't like it and I won't accept it. Not for you, or any one else at this damn table. I want to be normal again!" It was there, for brief moment it was there and they could feel it. The anger, the Rage... it was there and Declan could see the glimmer in he eyes as a low growl could be heard. Swara-Ann didn't seem to notice it, but it didn't curb her anger in the slightest. "I know I'm messed up, and I sure as hell wouldn't trust someone as messed up as me, especially with my life. Like I said, give her my spot. I don't want to go and frolic with the forest animals and dance under the moon circle jerking the Topangas. You guys have fun with that. If she needs to attach herself to you guys and feed off your good lives because she can't find anything good in her own, more power to her."

It was a lot of venom for the pretty blonde, but Declan hit a nerve and they really weren't sure if she was saying it honestly or simply because she suddenly felt the need to be cruel to others, to lash out that anger on someone. Truth be told she was still a bit pissed over the claws across her back...

From even through the walls Sarah could see the debate was rolling along in typical werewolf fashion: lots of yelling and eating.

"Well fuck you too!" Dec snarled as he came to his feet bristling, his own Rage rising even as the thinking part of his brain spotted the Wolf in Swara's eye. What the fuck was it with women getting in his face lately? This was close to his last straw. "You got fucked up and did some fucked up things, but you can't hide from that. You can't outrun it. If you don't accept what you are, it'll just chew you up and spit you out on the goddamn sidewalk. So fucking DEAL WITH IT and quit cryin' like a fuckin' baby." He leaned in over the table, shoulders bunching under his t-shirt as his voice lowered to a deadly growl.

"And that is the last time anyone says "Fuck you, Declan" under my roof. Tits or no tits, pack or not. Next person to get in my face like that gets me right back in theirs!"

Dec was pretty scary when he wanted to be and something deep within Swara-Ann told her to cut it out or he was going to hit her. Declan gave off the vibe of an the abusive drunk who cheated on women and would tell em about anything to get in their pants. She had only to ask her room mate about that, and the kitchen cabinet about the other. She didn't understand Rage like the real werewolves did.

Did she quit? Oh, no. "I can outrun anything. And with your history of sticking it into anything with a heartbeat, that's a blessing! That what you told my room mate? Huh? To just 'deal with it and stop crying like a fucking baby'? Asshole."

Like an immature child she had to have the last word and in a manner that would wound the greatest.

"Guys!" Ariel barked. She stood up and got between Declan and Swara-Ann, then very deliberately lowered the tone of her voice.

"We're getting off topic here."

She looked Declan in the eyes. "Dec. Cut her some slack, alright? She's had it way rougher than any of us. The best way to teach her control is to show her control."

Ariel waited to see if her words were getting through, then turned to look at Swara. Her face was stern, but there was compassion in her expression as well.

"I'm sorry, Swara, that you're having to go through this. I know none of us really understand what you went through, but we're trying to help you. You have to let us help you though, Swara-Ann. We can't do it if you're fighting us." She smiled. "And cut us some slack too...we're about as far from perfect as they come, but we're doing our best and we're learning every day. If you want to be someone who points out flaws...fine. Flaws need to be pointed out. But do it constructively, and do it with respect."

She then looked from one wolf to the other. "Now, can we sit down and talk like civilized wolves, before the subject of our discussion bursts into flames outside at sunrise?"

For a moment after the Elodoth spoke it was silent. You could've heard a pin drop. Owns-The-Night's lips pulled back from his teeth in a grin that had nothing of humor in it. He didn't take his eyes from Swara. The situation had gone too far: Dec's silence was simply the time it took the spark to hit the gunpowder. The Rahu had given his warning - that alone was more than most people would have got. The continued provocation from the junior Uratha had to be answered, or he'd be taking this shit forever.

Add to that mentioning Morgan, and throwing on the additional "asshole" at the end, and Swara's choice of words could collectively be called a Really Bad Idea ™.

He stepped smoothly to one side of Ariel, the silver-swiftness of the Rahlunim in his motions. The punch didn't arc, didn't waver. It was a lightning-fast straight right that began somewhere in the spring of Dec's heels and ended at Swara's jaw. Physics being physics, the equal and opposite reaction was Swara-Ann Osbourne's short, sharp defiance of gravity as she was hurled backwards with enough force to rebound from the cabinets behind her before hitting the floor.

Her first brush with a battering ram went well. The young blonde hit the floor like a rag doll and rolled over onto her back, her head moving about as he eyes tried to focus. At that point she had no idea which way was up. She tried to sit up but her muscles would respond while her arms refused to find purchase on the floor of the kitchen. Every time she almost sat up she fell right back over.

All the kitchen was missing was someone over her counting to ten. Swara-Ann was out of this fight...

Amber had sat dispassionately throughout Sarah's speech and the resulting discussion. She didn't know why Ariel had given Sarah the chance to talk; it wasn't like the vampire hadn't pressed her case for joining the pack at every opportunity. Everyone had already heard it, over and over. The only person who hadn't heard that Sarah was trying to join their pack was a deaf Tibetan monk, and rumors being what they were, it was just a matter of time.

Then things went horribly awry. She watched the escalation with irritation. Picking on an already agitated werewolf was a bad idea. Amber had mentioned this to Swara-Ann, in detail, before. Whether the bimbo had caught that was another question, though this was compelling evidence that she hadn't. Yes, Dec should have had more control, but everyone knew that he was hurting; it was obvious. Swara-Ann would have to learn those signals for her own well-being, or continue to receive regular thrashings.

The physical attack itself didn't upset her; Amber was just grateful that Declan hadn't really lost it. Sometimes, werewolves did fall to Kuruth over insults. That was another thing that Swara needed to learn that Amber doubted she'd get without more contact with her wolf - the extreme danger of what she'd done. And not just to herself; to all of them and even people outside the house.

Rising, she moved to kneel beside the flopping Swara-Ann and checked her vitals. "You'll be fine. You got off light," she told the reluctant cub. Steadying her, she glanced up at Dec and said, "Is this done?"

"Depends. If she flaps her mouth at me like that again, I'll shut it for her again." Yeah, the Rahu was still very angry.

Amber quirked a humorless smile. "I meant for now. And no offense, Dec, but I don't think she'll be saying anything for a bit." She frowned. "That is a problem, since she can't give her assessment of Sarah." Still holding the young woman upright so she didn't look like a landed fish, Amber looked up at Ariel. "We going to proceed or wait for her to come around?"

Ariel fought down her own futile anger over the whole thing. Swara had been out of line, but Declan's reaction... Well, there was nothing to be gained dwelling on it now. She'd talk to Declan about his control issues later. Besides, she reminded herself, a punch in the face was really nothing to a werewolf. In a minute there wouldn't even be a bruise. It took getting used to.

"If she's all right, lets keep going. If she's still out when everyone's had their say, then we'll wait for her. We've got a lot to talk about tonight. I don't want to get hung up on one thing."

She sat back down. "So, we've heard from Declan, we've sort of heard from Swara, though I don't think that counted as a vote... Who wants to go next?" She glanced at Moss, then Amber.

Moss had remained seated through it all. He had already heard most of Sarah's take on things before, but he had been slightly surprised at just how stupid Swara was. Dec's reaction was about what he expected it to be, and as far as Moss was concerned was entirely justified. Despite that he was thankful that the result wasn't any more serious.

In reply to Ariel he finished his mouthful of food and said, "I agree with Dec. Sarah would be a useful member of the pack, and personally I find her fairly easy to get along with. Hell on both counts she's better than that stupid, self-pitying sack of meat." He nods over at Swara's limp form.

"I know she has issues over what happend, but it's being month's now and she shows no signs of any progress in any direction but stupid." He shrugs, "Sorry, off-topic I know."

Declan had turned on his heel and stepped back to his chair, sitting down again and leaning back as his eyes flicked around the other faces present. He remained silent, one hand resting on the table top with the fingers slightly clawed. Despite his trying to appear calm, it was a thin veneer at best. The anger within him radiated off his bulky frame like heat-shimmer off an Arizona road in midsummer.

He took a long drink of milk from his glass and listened, narrowed silver eyes bright and feral.

As Declan cooled and Amber looked after Swara managed to stand, blood had already splattered onto her shirt and her nose was gushing a fair amount of blood. Amber didn't think it was broke, but it was going to hurt the girl for next the several minutes.

With some help, she made it to the doorway then walked on her own to the bathroom, scooping up her Hello Kitty back pack as she staggered back there. She didn't say anything as Moss spoke his piece but heard it well enough. Ariel had her attention until Declan cold cocked her and then Moss's speech pretty much solidified how welcome she was around this batch of lunatics.

The door slammed closed and water splashed in the sink.

A sudden pop and a crack startled her. A sharp pain shot through her nasal cavity as the cartilage mended and the cracked bones on her face sealed up, restoring themselves to how they were before the massive punch. A sudden gush of crimson fell from her nose into the sink, her body expelling the useless tissue and blood that could not be reabsorbed by the body through the regeneration.

"The hell?" she mumbled softly, wiggling her now perfectly restored nose slightly.

We are capable of absorbing huge amounts of physical punishment without dying, Swara, remember this. The memory of Amber's voice echoed in her ears. Our bodies quickly rebuild, with even deep gashes and broken bones healing in minutes.

She wiggled he nose again. "No, way..."

"Moss, shut your fucking mouth," Amber snapped, rising to her feet. "She might have problems, but she's your fucking sister. I didn't get upset when Dec slugged her, because she insulted him. And I sure as shit won't have a problem if she decides to do the same for you. Where do you get off judging one of our own, Itheaur? Or did Luna plump your auspice up a bit to the half-moon when I wasn't lookin? At least Swara can claim ignorance - all you have is a big mouth."

Leaning against the counter that was behind her, Amber debated going after Swara. In the end, she decided against it. Give her a moment to cool down and heal; then they could talk. Maybe grab Ariel and get the hell away from the boys. But to do that, they needed to end this fucking meeting. Time to get to the point.

"I say Sarah can join," Amber said, her voice deceptively casual. In the short pause that filled the room, Ariel's jaw dropped. "But only if Lucien can join too." Dec's slightly hopeful look became irritated and Amber added, "He's proven his willingness to help us over and over, and tactically and logically, he'd be a good addition, with all his magic... stuff." Dropping the calm facade, she said, "If all you need to be a member of our pack is to be willing to help, and a 'good addition' then we'll have the biggest fuckin' pack in LA in no time. Is that all it takes to be one with us, to be our family? I thought you had to be a goddamned werewolf to be in a werewolf pack!"

"It's not just a willingness to help," Ariel said, though she was speaking to the ceiling, to herself, "Sarah's put herself at risk on our behalf in ways Lucien never has and that I'd never expect anyone to."

She frowned and tapped her nose as she thought it through.

"But Amber has a good point too. Once we establish that someone who's not a werewolf can be a packmate...not just a friend and trusted ally, but an actual packmate...then we're putting ourselves in a position where we have to judge anyone by that standard."

"Hmph."

Moss clamped down on the anger that Amber's comments raised, there was already too much of it going around here tonight, and rubbed a hand over his face. He sighed and looked up at Amber, "Right now I think I'd be glad if she tried to take a swing at me. It might mean she was finally getting the point, because she can hardly claim ignorance after these months of you trying to teach her about the Real World."

He turns his chair to face her better, "You're right it's not my place to judge her, but I spend my time watching the Hisil and right now you'd be hard pushed to find a spirit that would give her the time of day. Without you standing over it of course."

"No." Dec grinned at Amber. "You don't have to be a goddamned werewolf to join a werewolf pack. There's a non-Uratha in practically every pack. The totem spirit." He let that hang as he stood, moving to the fridge and refilling his glass before turning to face them again. "And you missed somethin', Amber. I didn't just say she should join just because she's a useful tactical resource. I said if a totem will accept her, if she can connect to one like she claims, then there's no logical reason to keep her out. She's got the right stuff to be part of the family." He shrugged and took a drink.

"But that ain't the issue. The issue is you don't want Sarah, or any other non-werewolf for all I know, in the pack. Which is fine, and you just need to say that straight out. It ain't about her worthiness or ability to be truly part of the pack. This is just about who each of us are willing to accept." He looked Amber in the eye. "I ain't gonna rail against you or judge you for it. This is our pack, not some country club, and we each need to be happy with who's in it. You're right on that score. So if your answer is no, then that's that. Sarah will have to see if another pack will accept her if she wants it so badly."

He set his glass down on the counter and put a hand on No-Moss's shoulder. "And Amber's right about Swara, Moss. She's a nice enough girl, dealin' with some nasty shit. I took it easy on her just now... well, compared to how I'd have dealt with you if you'd been dumb enough to go off on me like that, so I'd ask that you cut her a little slack too. Just because the spirits won't invite her to any parties ain't reason enough to abandon the poor kid. I definitely don't think she's a stupid self-pityin' sack of meat. She's Uratha, and we need to help her to remember that. Start thinkin' about how you can help, huh?" He looked over at Ariel as he moved back to the counter and picked up his glass.

"You reckon we're done with the Sarah issue now? Or does anyone else have somethin' to add. Because if not, let's check on Swara and then get Sarah back in here to get her answer." He seemed much calmer now, the volatile Rage having simmered off. "We owe the girl that much. And after that, we can start talkin' over pack stuff."

Amber rolled her eyes at the mention of the non-Uratha pack member. "That's about the only example," she said, "and we need them to bind us all together into a pack." She paused. "Least, that's the way my family explained it to me. They may have been wrong about some things, but not about the how-to's of being an Uratha."

She paused, looking around the room. They all wanted Sarah, even if she didn't. Amber was too selfish to just let them have their way, though in this case, she didn't think that it was a particularly bad trait this time. A fuckin' vampire in the pack? What the fuck were they thinking? Still, they wanted it, and she already loved them in her own way. "You know, ya'll could dump me and take Sarah instead. I can always find another pack, and I'd still be there to roll with you guys when you need."

It was the only way she could give them what they wanted without compromising her ideals.

Ariel shook her head. "I want you, Amber. You've been here since the start, as far as I'm concerned. Maybe I'll be judged racist or something by more progressive werewolves, but if you and Sarah can't co-exist, then I'll take you."

She takes a breath and lets it out. "Okay then. I guess that's that."

"I agree with Ariel." Dec said evenly, nodding to the other Rahu. "If it's a choice between Amber and Sarah in the pack, and I can only have one, then I'll take you. And I ain't gonna bring up the subject again unless you do, Amber." He looked around to the other werewolves and moved to the door. "Go and see if Swara's okay, someone? I'll invite Sarah back in."

He opened the rear door and stepped out onto the patio, keen eyes adjusting to the relative gloom of his yard. He could make out a pale shape by the tree there and called out to her.

"Alright, Sarah. You can c'mon back in now."

Nodding, Sarah pushed herself up from the base of the tree. Keen sight or no, Declan's face was unreadable, and for the life of her she couldn't decide if it was a good or bad indicator that he was the one calling her back in.

She flashed him a quick grin regardless as she climbed the few steps up onto the porch, but the grin vanished when she stepped inside. There was a tension in the air, and two obvious absences. Combined with the early sound of a fight, those absences weren't a particularly good sign.

Brow furrowing with concern, she asked, "Where's Swara and Amber? They OK?"

Click to reveal..
Opening the window = 3 successes on a Stealth roll.
Hopping out the Window = 2 Successes on a Stealth roll.

-1 to dice pools (she's through walls and a door)

Sarah isn't using Auspex to enhance her hering.

All Werewolves are in Hishu so no bonus dice to perception rolls for hearing or scent.

The bathroom door is locked and the water is running.

Success? You hear her slip out, it still takes you a few moments to get from the bathroom to the front of the house, through the front door, and spot her in the darkness of the street lights. She has about 4 rounds (12 seconds) worth of a head start on the group.

Failure? By the time you knock a few times and realize she's snuck out, she's already gone. Tracking by scent is the only sure way to locate her at that point.

This depends solely on whether or not the PCs decide to track her down, but I'm hoping this prevents confusion.

"These people are crazy and have serious impulse control problems..." Swara-Ann mumbled as silently as she could manage as she heard the back door open and Declan call Sara back in. She kept talking to herself while sliding the bathroom window open as quietly as she could. "I'm done. I'm so fucking done. What have these psychos actually done for me? Not a thing except call me names, kick my ass and yell at me because I don't want to play their stupid games. Screw. This."

Her feet touched down on the grass and soil on the side of Declan's house and no sooner did she hit the ground than did she begin to jog as far away from Declan's home as possible.

Amber pushed off the counter at Declan's request. "Sure," she said, walking to the bathroom. "Swara?" she called, knocking on the door. When she got no answer, she tried the knob; locked of course. "Hmm," she said and returned to the kitchen, getting Declan's ice pick. She could hear Sarah's voice, but she didn't let it distract her as she walked back to the bathroom and poked the slim tool into the hole on the lock. It popped open without fanfare. Amber paused, to let Swara yelp about her privacy being violated. When nothing came, Amber's heart sank.

"Damn it, Moss," she hissed as she opened the door to an empty bathroom. Bloody towels and rejected meaty bits in the sink showed that Swara had cleaned herself up.

Sighing, she walked back into the room, missing the leech's question. Amber managed to remain on-topic regardless as she said casually, "Swara's pulled a runner. We'll need to check on her later."

She looked to Ariel. "You announced it yet?"

"Fuck." Dec said quietly at Amber's news. "We'll need to get after her before the trail gets too cold. That kid could go any number of dumbass places and do any number of dumbass things right now, especially if she feels there's nowhere to turn and no-one on her side. This evenin' keeps gettin' better and better."

He pulled off his t-shirt in partial preparation, looping it around his powerful shoulders and shucking off his shoes as he, too, looked expectantly at Ariel. Let's get this fuckin' over with, Elodoth. he thought hard at her.

"Or we can let her be a big girl and have the time she needs away from us," Amber said softly. "She ran, she clearly needs to not be here. She's not smart enough to pretend that it's ok when it isn't. I say let her run, give her some room and let her come back when she's ready. We'll trust her to call if there's a problem." She gave a fierce grin. "See if letting her have some space instead of pushing all this stuff down her throat helps any."

Dec opened his mouth, then closed it again and relaxed back against the counter as Amber's words percolated through to him.

"Alright, Amber. Your call. And fer what it's worth, I think you're right." he nodded to the other Rahu. "If she doesn't call in 48 hours, though, we oughta go lookin'. Just to be sure."

Less urgently now, he returned his gaze to Ariel and Sarah, waiting patiently.

"I'd say twenty-four, myself," Amber said, nodding to Declan, pleased that he'd seen her point. "She still can't change or protect herself much. Also, someone should taste some of her blood before it dries - we all should, probably. It's been too long since we fought her to recall her scent enough to help."

Moss looks up at Amber's initial announcement, but unlike Dec didn't immediately jump to go after her. He waits to see what the consensus is before adding, "I hope it does help her get her head together. If there's not enough to go around I could do the Rite of Shared Scent so that we all get it."

"Amber's right." Those weren't words that came out of Sarah's mouth very often, but they did now. "Chase after her, and she'll feel hunted again. But I'm still worried. Like Amber said, she can't change, but she's still tied to you. That sorta makes her like a wolfblood: enough connection to get into trouble and no good way to fight if she winds up there."

Looking back to Ariel, she said, "I can go after her in bird form, alone and high up. If nothing else, I can make sure she gets through the night unmolested."

Click to reveal..
(20:10:18) (Sarah_Dead-Wolf): Test to know what the hell Moss is talking about. Int + Occult + Werewolf Lore spec.

(20:10:22) ChatBot: (Sarah_Dead-Wolf) rolls 7d10 and gets 7,8,4,8,7,6,10.

(20:10:28) ChatBot: (Sarah_Dead-Wolf) rolls 1d10 and gets 9.

(20:10:36) (Sarah_Dead-Wolf): Four successes.

"Amber, you've been taking care of her. If you're sure she' needs to do this, that's good enough for me."

Ariel looked at Sarah and shook her head slowly.

"I appreciate the offer, but I don't think it'd be fair for us to accept it without telling you what we decided."

She took a deep breath and went on.

"It's the decision of the pack that we're not comfortable with the idea of a packmate who is not Urathra or spirit. I know this is hard to hear, but it's in no way a personal comment on you. It probably reflects more on us than anything...but I won't make excuses. If it's possible we'd like to keep you as a friend and ally, and if we can help you in any way other than that...we will."

She'd been expecting these words. Given the situation - given Amber, something dark and hostile in her seethed - acceptance by the forming pack had always been a long shot.

None of that foreknowledge did a damned thing to soften the blow, and her vision clouded over with red for a long and dangerous moment. It took effort and will to keep the redness from taking over, from turning this meeting of friends and allies into well and true disaster for all concerned.

Click to reveal..
Resisting Frenzy. Resolve + Composure, and spending a Willpower (this one is *damned* important)

(07:35:13) ChatBot: (Sarah_Dead-Wolf) rolls 8d10 and gets 9,2,9,6,10,3,9,1.

Four successes.

After a visible struggle, Sarah seemed to calm. She gave a short nod of acknowledgement, and for a moment it looked as though that would be the sum of her expression before she'd turn and bolt. Only after that second long moment did she actually trust her voice and her inner demons enough to speak again.

"Fair enough. Knew the odds going in. Once you get your pack figured out and settled, give me a call; we'll need to figure out borders an' shit." The tone of the words as well as the look in her eyes made clear that Sarah very much considered her territory hers, and that even though it was surrounded it wouldn't be surrendered without a fight.

"Other than that? There's still a kid running scared out there who can't change, and I've still got good eyes and wings. Don't worry," she said, turning for the door, "I'll be high enough up that she won't see me. If I can find her. I'll let you get back to business." With nothing more safe to say in the heat of the moment, Sarah headed for the door.

"Sarah!" While Amber's first word was a borderline order, she'd used that tone only to catch the vampire's attention. "Don't chase Swara," she said simply, modulating her tone to a request rather than a demand. "She needs to get out there and see the world, without a handler. If you follow her and swoop in if there's trouble, all she's going to learn is that she can't be left alone. She'll run all the harder for being chased." Anger and even a hint of guilt crossed her face as she said softly, "She's been chased enough. Let her be. Let her get hurt. She's tough enough to take it; she's already survived things that would destroy most of us. So just... let go."

And then came the capstone. It sounded like it'd taken a decent effort, but these things didn't come easily to Amber, even to when dealing with her spiritual family. "Please."

"Sarah!"

Sarah did indeed stop in her tracks, albeit without turning. And as she did, her Beast snarled within her. The Rahu was dancing on Sarah's last nerve, and her Beast knew it.

As Amber spoke, another voice whispered as well. Sarah had avoided going into frenzy, and the black primal thing coiled around her soul knew that it could not claim that prize now, not so soon. But there were other options.

You hurt. Let me help.

That was something the Dead-Wolf was not used to hearing from its inner monster. But it was right. Sarah did hurt. And if this thing could do something to ease the lost hope and burning shame....

"Please," Amber asked, and that dark thing echoed. Please.

The tense moment could have gone any of a number of ways - several of them involving teeth and blood and death - and everyone in the room was aware of it. When Sarah finally turned, a redness had crept into the edges of her eyes, visible to all, and it wasn't subsiding.

In a tone both ice cold and white hot, something spoke.

"Have it your way. It's in your hands."

Without another word, the Gangrel stalked from the house and off into the night.

Click to reveal..
Sarah has entered the Red Surrender (Gangrel, p 116-118)

"Right then." Owns-The-Night's deep voice broke the uneasy silence that had followed the Dead Wolf's departure. "Next step." He glanced around then left the room for a moment. When the large Uratha returned, he had a small pool of Swara-Ann's blood cupped in his hand, small clots of it staining his calloused fingertips.

"Before it dries up, I thought we should get the cub's blood taste." He suited action to words, dipping two fingers into the dark crimson puddle and cleaning them off with his tongue. He offered the bloody hand out, his silver gaze steady. "Who's next? And when we're done with that, we can start talkin' over what needs to be done to formalize this pack deal."

Archived