Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): Nexus Earth - Chapter 7: A Heritage of Magic

Rorx

Eiji tossed and turned in his bed, the sweat soaked sheets twisting around his athletic frame until with a wordless gasp he sat up, his strange dream still vivid in his memory.

Eiji had everything that he'd wanted. He was a Captain, his squad was respected, and he'd come to master the mix of magic in his blood.

He felt a thirst for more though. Magic demands greater magic. He had to have more and soon he found himself destroying everything to find the secrets of the Magic of Naming, the ultimate magic.

At the end he saw Takashi, their enemy who welcomed him home as a brother, Kin in the destruction of the legacy of the Kage.

A voice whispered in the surrounding darkness. "For all you speak of order, you will sow disorder. The responsibility you bear is great, greater than most can manage, but you will try, and to avoid the darkness you must seek aid. It's closer than you think, The Ancient family brought new."

Untangling himself he stripped the bed and threw the sheets into the washing basket, followed by the leggings that were all he usually wore in bed. Padding silently through the room, avoiding the furniture in the lightless room by memory and the variation of faint air currents across his skin, he entered the bathroom and put the shower on before turning to look at himself in the mirror. His young face showed little of his achievements nor the responsibilities that he had assumed, but his naked body bore the faint signs of the injuries he had taken over the years working Saitoshi, and the partially completed tatoos hide the enchantments within them to all but the most discerning and knowledgeable eyes.

Now that was an odd dream, although I suppose those few that I have nowdays tend to be. He gave a grim smile to his reflection and stepped into the shower, simply letting the water flow over him for a while.

Well, there is no denying I've been working on increasing some of my magic abilities. However, I have no desire to end up like Takashi, so I must try to avoid that if this is some form of predictive or warning dream..."Ancient family brought new"? The best one I can think of that fits that would be Kai's bodyguard, Masane so I guess I better go and see if there is anything she can suggest about this.

Stepping from the shower he toweled himself dry and walked back to his room. Noting it was still the early hours of the morning he pulled on a silk robe and sittin Zazen started meditating until a more reasonable hour.

At 6am he rose and dressed in his uniform for the day, reaching the canteen for breakfast by 6:15. Eiji nodded to a few people he knew or recognised while he ate a leasurily breakfast, but he didn't encourage conversation and left by 7:00. It was only a matter of minutes to reach Kai's room, I wonder if Lilly's there Eiji thought with a smile as he rang the door bell to Masane's quarters.

Masane's head snapped around as her door chimed, only barel accustomed to such a thing.

"Who's there?"

She was dressed for work, Having actually enjoyed being a Teacher at Jindai High. It allowed her to be close to the other students, and of course to Kai.

She undid the sleeve on her right arm, just in case, a Decade of bearing the most powerful demonic weapon teaching her to always be ready.

Not for the first time she wished she could use Kai's ability to sense others, Even as the Master of House Amaha, she'd still never mastered that skill.

"It's Eiji, Amaha-san. I wondered if you might give me the benefit of your advice on a matter." said Eiji respectfully.

So saying he stood back from the door. Masane came from a time when people were used to a little more personal space than was usual in the more recent overcrowded Japan. Now with the losses inflicted on the country perhaps things would move back the other way, but only once the land itself had been reclaimed and regenerated.

Masane opened the door carefully, already refastening her right sleeve. "Yes Lieutenant Tanaka, how can I help you today?"

She wore A dark Blue blouse and a Navy Slacks, A golden necklace clearly worn over the shirt that showed the sigil for House Amaha of Clan Amaha.

"I'm about to head over to Kai's and pick him up for school, Can we talk on the way?"

"Of course," Eiji acknowledged, "Indeed he may have some insight into this as well. It was a strange dream, which I am not normally prone to, and had a possibly prophetic or warning aspect to it."

He goes on to tell her about the dream. "And so I came to you, both because you seemed to be the best fit to the final reference in the dream and also because you are the person most familiar with all things arcane that I could think of here."

"How do ou think I should proceed? Should I continue my studies, but avoid this Naming Magic the dream spoke of, or should I hasten my quest for it, but with those along side me who would keep me on the right path? I have no wish to turn into someone that Takashi would welcome as a brother!"

If he'd said anything else, she'd have just kept smilining instead she wheeled on him. "You're looking to study "NAMING Magic?"

"The fact you dreamt of it means you can do it, which is dangerous beyond belief. Naming Magic is an ancient Kage ability, derived from knowing the true name of things and using that to either invoke their inner power, or destroy them from within. It's a horrible power in the hands of someone who becomes drunk with the power, and generally a power this world really isn't ready for."

"However, If Akina and Kai say that you are fit to learn, then I will teach you."

Eiji is briefly stunned that it could be so easy to find a path to such powerful magic, but on reflection isn't surprised that Masane would know it.

He turns and bows deeply to her, "I would be honoured to learn anything you are willing to teach me Amaha-san. As we on our way to Kai's perhaps we could hear his opinion of the matter then?"

"Kai will say yes, the one who matters is probably your Catain Eiji. She knows you better than he or I do."

They arrive at Kai's apartment to find Akina already there waiting on Kai.

She smiles to them both, and it's almost possible to forget that behind those golden eyes is an entity that's lived a dozen lifetimes, as both genders and she almost looks like a normal high school girl.

"Good moring you too. I see you needed to see Kai today too."

"Hai, Akina-san" says Eiji bowing to them both.

"I had an odd dream last night, which seemed to suggest that Masane could advise me on the matter. When I brought it to her, she has said that we need to speak to both of you about it."

He then recounts the dream to them and awaits either their comments or for Masane to mention her interpretation of it.

"If he can truly use Naming Magic, that would add a powerful ability to his arsenal, but I wanted to speak with both you and Kai before I agreed to teach him."

"Well Captain Ishiyama spoke highly of him, so I'll sign off on it, just be sure to practice in a Class four area, so you don't manaburn the rest of the populace."

It was at that moment Kai emerged from his apartment clad in his school uniform and looking a little bit tired. "morning everyone."

Masane immediately turned to him frowned and fixed his clothes so he looked presentable. "Honestly Master, You need to at least look the part of Student Council President if you aren't going to act it."

Eiji nods and talks as they start walking towards the transport for the School, "Sounds like a plan. Should I meet you at the school or back here?"

I can take the afternoon off. It's time I started grooming the team to take over, I'm not going to be head of Security forever.

Akina nods. "Fine, train him Masane, try not to teach him anything world breaking, We've already got two of them with citybusters." The student Captain leaves, and Masane turns to Eiji. "Well seems like we'll be having lessons after class today. I'll meet you around noon then."

"Hai, Amaha-san. I shall meet you at the school then." With another bow Eiji takes his leave and heads over to the Security HQ in NeoTokyo. Starting with joining in the pre-shift exercise as usual to loosen up and pick up the feeling of the frontline agents he changes and settles into the mornings meetings. Most of them had been pre-arranged, but Eiji had to squeeze several in order to prepare his deputies to takeover for the afternoon, and perhaps for other periods in the future. The explaination is simple, he has been assigned to have some lessons from Kai's personal bodyguard.

Promptly at noon Eiji approaches Masane's office in the school.

Having already seen Kai off for the day Masane returned to her office to gather her things and meet Eiji. From there they went to the Archangel. Once there The proceeded to the training deck. After setting up the barrier Masane turned to Eiji.

"What do you know of Magic, Lieutenant Tanaka?"

Eiji smiles at the question, "Nowhere near as much as you Amaha-san. I am familiar with the basic magics of both the Kage and Ikaris as my Grandfather was an Ikaran mage who became stuck here and was given sanctuary with the Kage elements within Satoshi. So far I have learnt a few basic Kido spells, of defence, attack, and illusion and also methods to increase my abilities by the enchantment of my body through the tatoos you have probably noticed. Other than that, I'm aware that there are other magical paths, but not how to use them."

"What Kido spells do you know Lieutenant? do you know their specific names?"

She smiles. "You might not, but know this, just as with our Zanpukto, knowing a spell's true name and using it can dramatically increase it's power."

She smiles. "Like this one." She holds up her hands and a fireball shoots forth, blackening a boulder it strikes.

"Now with the name."

"Number Thirty 34 Shakkaho! Red Flame Cannon!" The fireball is much bigger and the boulder is utterly destroyed.

"There's actually another level which deals with the actual incantation adding further power at the cost of time. We'll cover that later though."

"From your example I would say that I do not know their actual names, just what I was taught them as, which is almost certainly different. They are Ball Lightning, Shadow's Blessing - which is a form of Invisibilty spell, and Shield of Elements - which acts as a forcefield."

Eiji shrugs, "I guess the first step would be in finding out the true names for the spells I already know?"

She smiles. "Ball lighting is likely number 4 Byakurai; Shadow's Blessing is right, And an Elemntal shield is likely Number 31 protection of the five pillars."

"Not particularly powerful Kido spells, but useful. Kido range from 1 to 99, with 99 being the most powerful spell. I can use up to 90 without the Incantation. The problem with all of them over 60 is they use huge amounts of mana. Not as much as true magic, but then the effects aren't as huge."

Eiji nods, "I was aware that they weren't particularly powerful forms of Kido. I have had to spend time on other skills and activities that would have otherwise have been spent improving my Kido skills and spells. In addition, I'm sorry to say that once I had my Zanpukto I tended to use it's spell-like abilities in preference to developing my own. However, I have continued developing both the enchantments upon myself, and my capacity for, and replenishment of mana."

He smiles, "So I'm not a totally lost cause."

"Well that you can actually heal yourself and replenish your mana naturally is no small feat. Few can do that. Even my method isn't a natural one."

"perhaps the best thing for me to do would be to test your spell casting abilities. Use your spells normally now. try focusing before them and using their true names."

Eiji nods, and turns towards a suitable target in the training area before sending out his standard Ball Lightning at it. Almost immediately he turns to another target just out of the area of the first, taking a half breath and focussing, he states it's name as he fires again, "Number 4 Byakurai!"

Comparing the results he says, "Actually the healing is part of the enchantments I have put onto myself, but the mana replensihment is natural. I see what you mean about the effects of using the proper name."

"It's far more dramatic an increase with higher level spells. From the sound of things you don't know any true or Achemy though."

Alchemy magic generally focuses on offering something for a desired result. Much of the time it is an item and mana. Sometimes it is the Lifefoce of the caster. Most spells like that can kill an unaware magi, and are forbidden. Another is enhancement. I'm told Georgi can use Magnablast. This is the use of a fair charge of mana to dramatically improve the firepower of his weapon."

"True Magic is native to Ikaris, Kido is derived from it. True Magic causes manaburn to normal modern era humanity. it didn't in my time but belief systems were quite different. True magic involves massive amounts of mana for spectacular spellcraft. Some of the weaker true magic spells are as powerful as incantation midlevel Kido."

"Unless you are an accomplished Magi it takes a phenomenal amount of mana to cast a spell without its Incantation."

She smiles. "Oh, source of all power, light which burns beyond crimson, let thy power gather in my hand. FIREBALL!"

From her hands emerges a fireball three times as large as the one from Shakkaho. It bursts upon a group of boulders reducing them to molten magma.

"That's about a midlevel spell. Not all of them have huge incantations like Ragna Blade, and Dragonslave. Omniburst is very short actually, but it takes roughly half the mana anyone who uses it possesses. The results are catastrophic, and become moreseo the more mana used."

Eiji looks suitable impressed at the Fireball, "I can see I have a lot to learn. However, it also appears that True magic would be of little practical use to us here, unless totally in enemy space with only others immune to the manaburn we'd produce? As far as Alchemy is concerned I guess I would mainly be interested in Internal Alchemy, or modifying either my battlearmour or battlerifle, there is little else I regularly carry with me."

"Fair enough. True Magic is the Magic of Naming, the gggest bang for your mana buck so to say."

"I heard that Saito could use Accellerator, this was a massively powerful forbidden achlemic spell that dramattically increases combat speed and prowess at the cost of half your life force. It's a spell I know well, as is Magnablast."

She nods. "If you could learn any two spells, what would you want them to do? what effect would they have?"

Eiji pauses for thought, "I guess for an Alchemy I would want something to help in a fight. Dealing more damage, able to take more damage, or to avoid taking damage, and mobility during the fight are the most obvious areas. For a True magic spell the trend tends to be on attack spells, but I'm not sure we need another one with a large area of effect, so perhaps a smaller area, or even a single target with similar damage to the others. Maybe something that can also penetrate or ignore the targets defences?"

Masane nods. "For True Magic I can teach you Ra Tilt. It penetrates all defenses, and does decent damage, and is far less mana intensive than the bigger spells."

If you really want to learn a boosting alchemy I'll teach you Accellerator, but know that it's only safe to use once a fight. Twice will kill you."

She smiles. "Acceptable Lieutenant?"

Eiji works diligently through the weeks, and only has thanks and a final question for Masane at the end of the training time, "How much damage, over how big an area will the use of these spells afflict on others, and are all of our associates immune as they have simlar abilities?"

"Ra Tilt is a single Target, usually enough to incapacitate most enemies. It has a weakness in that it doesn't work on machines, but it will work on their pilots. Because it is not an S rank spell, and is really more of an A-Rank, the Manaburn range is more like 100m in a radius. it does about the same damage in manaburn as the mana used to generate it."

She nods. "Accelerator, as an alchemic spell, doesn't generate Mana, and can last anywhere from thirty seconds, to thirty minutes depending on how your lifeforce and body can handle the strain."

• 2 weeks later...

"From what I've gleaned from my connection with my Master, there's something huge going on behind the scenes here. It might be time to corner Akina or Raisho and ask one of them. Kai's doing his best conceal things from everyone but I believe they know and at least tacitly approve."

She smiles. "You may want to talk to Kai himself, he seems to make time for everyone these days."

Eiji smiles at Masane's evaluation of Kai, "Indeed he does, but I think I will start with Captain Raisho. Thank you for you instruction Amaha-san."

With a deep bow he takes his leave of her and goes in search of Captain Raisho, eventually finding him on the bridge. Eiji salutes the Captain as he gets his attention, "Could I have a word in private Captain?". With a quizzical nod they move into the ready room.

"Captain, to put it bluntly, what are you and Kai hiding. He can't hide it from you so you must know what it is. Even Amaha-san doesn't know but she knows it is big, and that it is time that it starts to be spread amongst those who will have to deal with it at least."

Raisho looks at Eiji and his face remains totally unreadable. "I do know what he's got planned, but if you want to know, then you'll have to go ask him. I cannot say."

He chuckles. "It is certainly something you will have to deal with."

In a gesture that's actually Dismissive, nods to Eiji to leave.

Archived