Con Season.

ronin

Chosen.

Origins is still a go.

Saku.

Looks like a blast. Maybe I'll try and round up a posse to make it.

Of course, I'd probably have to go straight from Origins to CONvergence...

How horrible.

.ronin

Question: When and Where is Origins?

CONvergence is July 4-6. If you make it, Ronin, be sure to check out the guests of honor. I mean, the dude who does Dork Tower is there, as well as Michael Sheard. Not to mention several others of interest. I can't wait.

~.^ Besides, the parties ROCK!

If you can make it, when you register, you can have a custom name on your badge when you register. Use Ronin, and I can pick you out in a crowd. I'll be usually either up in the LAN party room on the 22nd floor vista suites, or chilling out around the various party cabanas. Either that, or the 24 hour anime room.

I'll be there on the 4th from 3 or 4 to 8pm and I'll be there the 5th and 6th all day starting at 10am on the 5th.

WHO NEEDS SLEEP!!!

See, in Australia, there is no defined "Con Season" as such. The Cons are usually spread around each long weekend, since the longest holiday period primary/secondary students have is the Summer/Christmas break, which is around 6 weeks or so. All other school holidays are only 2 weeks in length (and they also vary depending on which state you're in).

So, yeah. Cons tend to happen around the various long weekends (like Easter LW, June LW, Australia Day LW, etc). I don't usually attend the major cons around here anyway, although just because some of my friends are involved in organising it, I may just go visit Manifest, the Melbourne Anime Convention, for a day or so.

However, I tend to look forward to the Roleplaying conventions that are scattered throughout the year, I always go to Arcanacon (mostly because I'm never doing anything Australia Day...), but Conquest (Easter LW) has lost a bit of it's lustre for me, as I'm not a fan of the "Living _________" games. I prefer fun, simple one-offs. Depending on whether the organising comittee get their acts organised, I may also go attend DWARFcon this year, although that also depends on what they're running.

I must find the full list of Australian Conventions somewhere...

Endeavor, just for you:

Current full list of Major and semi-Major Anime Conventions throughout Australia:

And the current full list of Australian roleplaying conventions, (and the ones I'm most likely to be at in boldface):

• Arcanacon in Melbourne (Australia Day Long Weekend (January))
CanCon in Canberra (January Sometime) Con*descening in Sydney (Queen's Birthday Long Weekend (June))

Conquest in Melbourne (Easter Long Weekend (April)) DWARFcon in Melbourne (July 11-13) Faux Con in Regional Victoria, (Date in flux) MacquarieCon in Sydney, (December some time)

NotaCon in Melbourne (Date unknown) Pandemonium in Adelaide (September 17-19) Phenomenon in Canberra (Queen's Birthday Long Weekend (June) SydCon in Sydney (Easter Long Weekend) The Big Weekend in Brisbane (May Sometime)

Several of these really depend on whether I'm interested in the games provided there. The Adelaide one especially, as that requires an $80 train ride and lots of organisation to get there...

Quote:
Originally posted by Kirby1024:
Endeavor, just for you:

Current full list of Major and semi-Major Anime Conventions throughout Australia:

And the current full list of Australian roleplaying conventions, (and the ones I'm most likely to be at in boldface):
  • Arcanacon in Melbourne (Australia Day Long Weekend (January))
  • CanCon in Canberra (January Sometime)
  • Con*descening in Sydney (Queen's Birthday Long Weekend (June))
  • Conquest in Melbourne (Easter Long Weekend (April))
  • DWARFcon in Melbourne (July 11-13)
  • Faux Con in Regional Victoria, (Date in flux)
  • MacquarieCon in Sydney, (December some time)
  • NotaCon in Melbourne (Date unknown)
  • Pandemonium in Adelaide (September 17-19)
  • Phenomenon in Canberra (Queen's Birthday Long Weekend (June)
  • SydCon in Sydney (Easter Long Weekend)
  • The Big Weekend in Brisbane (May Sometime)

• Several of these really depend on whether I'm interested in the games provided there. The Adelaide one especially, as that requires an $80 train ride and lots of organisation to get there...
    Okay, popping eyes back in head...
    I wonder how hard it'd be for me to pick up an Aussie accent...
    AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE!!!

Quote:
    Originally posted by Sakurako Hino:
    Hey, the accent isn't the problem (just don't pronounce your R's at the end to words, and listen to the people around you). No, the problem is the Permanent Visa so you can go to all these...

Quote:
    Originally posted by Kirby1024:
    Quote:
    Originally posted by Sakurako Hino:
    Hey, the accent isn't the problem (just don't pronounce your R's at the end to words, and listen to the people around you). No, the problem is the Permanent Visa so you can go to all these...
    I wouldn't really stay THAT long. I love Minnesota more. Although if someone helped me out, I'd move to Japan in no time flat. I swear to god in a past life I had to have been Japanese.

I just like the scenery I guess. That and the City life.

Saku.

Word. I know just how you feel about Japan. Not sure I'd want to stay, but I could definetely see myself whiling away a good year or two there.

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to do CONV. No cash. Possible, but not likely.

Still, I'll be at Origins, should you happen to make it.

.ronin

Being absolutly broke with a kid has that same effect. Metro and I were very close to going up to Utah today, but sheesh, with the 20 hour drive we'd have to practically turn around and come right back frown It sucks that this is the only time a three day babysitter has been available to me and there's nothing going on that I can get to.

Oh well, I think we're going to go to see the House on the Hill in Wisconson. A different sort of fun.

Blow Me, little girl!!!!!

Wait, that could be misconstrued ...

Apep, I feel your pain. I am already working on the wife about, maybe six or seven YEARS away, giving the children to the Grands and for us to get away for a week or so.

• 1 month later...
    • 3 weeks later...

Archived