Mutants & Masterminds: Mecha Mayhem - Chapter 2 Aftermath

Justin OOC

The Debriefing room wasn't completely full, as currently the only occupants were Captain Ramius, Commander Jackson, Commander Lee, Commander Archer, Major Harger, and Lieutenant Commander Bill "Cowboy" Payson. They all sat waiting on the other major participants of today's events, all of them watching the recordings of the events on the holographic projector.

(OOC Enter as you like once everyone's here, we'll begin.)

Having been relieved only a little while ago, she had paused to clean up a bit, take a quick shower, and put on a new and clean uniform. Once she felt a bit better, she was going to get a drink, when she checked the time, and realized it was getting close to that general briefing that she would need to attend.

She walked into the room and looked over everyone present, then found a seat, turning it around so that she could rest her arms on the front of the chair as she watched the holo with the rest of the command. "Look's like I'm right on time, or perhaps a touch early."

As soon as he heard his presence was required Gordan climbed out of the guts of the Valkyrie he was working on and went back to his room to clean up. It's wasn't much, just a quick hand and face wash before changing for a clean flightsuit.

Entering the room he saluted and when acknowledged moved to a seat too one side, and watched the holo himself while waiting for the meeting to begin.

The CeBees had been relived by other ATAC's... and while Josh knew their commander, they weren't the CeBees. So Josh and Box actually stayed after everyone else left, making sure that the new arrivals on the scene were properly briefed and had the situation well in hand before heading back to the ARK.

It took an extra hour and a half.

After they returned to the ARK, Josh had his team pulling double duty to wash and regrease their Mechs to make sure that they didn't suffer any ill effects from the salt water (as well as repairing any damage that they had suffered). He also started making preperations to modify the mechs so that they could withstand the saline atmosphere.

He also had Flapper gather a list of all repairs that needed to be acomplished, both to the ARK, the other PEC vessles, Mechs and the American Fleet, and then prioratize them by importance.

It was actually Sunshine that reminded him that he had a meeting to attend. It was rare for Josh to be called to a big-whig meeting, so he had to attend, even though he had many, many other things that were more important.

So Josh cleaned up in the emergency shower, put on the cleanest uniform he had stowed in his locker, and literally ran up to the meeting. In his hand was a datapad that Flapper had made, giving a preliminary list of repairs and priorities.

Josh slowed before he entered, and actually remembered his training and saluted (though his lack of recent practice was evident). Once acknowledged, he took the 'least important' seat that he could find (i.e. the one furthest away from the highest ranking person). Once he sat down, he watched the holo and scanned through the lenghty list he'd brought with him.

Roxanne had put on her best uniform and was slightly excited to attend the meeting. Granting her flight status was great but there was also a nagging fear that she would fall victim to her trauma and flashbacks. So far the flashbacks had been scarce but random and the only constant 'problem' she was having was nightmares.

Being one of the last arrivals she involuntarily drew some attention towards herself - not that it would make much difference. Men usually gave her more than one 'lookover' with the obligatory pause over her chest. It was amazing how some of the smartest guys suddenly lost all their ability to maintain any semblance of intelligence when they were around her or her sister.

Once she spotted Juliana she joined her and nodded respectfully to the Grungust Pilot. Archangel was one of the pilots Roxanne had the deepest respect for.

Despite her pounding head, Seraphine worked as hard as anyone, spending most of her attention on the ARK's damaged systems and getting the fabricators properly reconfigured, while coordinating with the CeBees. She had seen some of the scraps the ATACs had recovered and wasn't impressed - she shitted better steel than this.

Finally, barely able to stand, some of the engineers under her insisted she take a break. Besides, she had a debrief to attend. Seraphine relented only after they promised to send steady updates to her MRH, then accepted Billy's help back to her quarters. She took an almost scalding hot shower, then reapplied a bandaged to the shallow gash on her head. She put on her pristine dress uniform - which hugged her figure closer than it seemed it should - then took another painkiller and a swig of scotch to fortify herself. Ready, she headed to the debriefing room.

With effort, Seraphine carefully made her way to a seat next to her sister, giving Josh a thumbs up in passing and Juliana a friendly nod as she sat down, legs crossed at the knee.

Her crystal blue eyes studiously looked pass all the holographic projections of the absolute slaughter, her face forcefully controlled to stillness.

Josh acknowledged Seraphine's thumbs up. From the way she looked, he was deeply grateful that he wasn't the lead engineer. But, he was anyways; he'd take the seat of a Mech out doing things over a desk chair any day.

Then he used his datalink to see if Flapper had an updated list of repairs yet, and noted to himself that he'd have to send it to Seraphine once there was a finalized list that he had approved.

With everyone there, The Meeting began. Captain Ramius Addressed them all first. "I want to thank you all personally for your exemplary service in the faces of a situatio far beyond any other. Chief Devereaux in particular, you rose far beyond all expectations and through your actions saved all of us."

She looked to Roxanne. "I have gone ahead and confimred yor flight status, and Commander Lee has asked that you be assigned to his command."

To Josh she smiles. "The Ceebees have been instrumental in saving the American carriers, You are the only ones the American Admiral has actually sent his thanks to."

"Gordan, you're Squadron is the worst off among all of them having lost eight members in the transition and ensuing battle. I want you to get with Commander Archer and reorganize the Squadron and prepare a list of what's needed to bring it to full strength."

"Juliana, I heard you were laid up with injuries from the Transition but still managed to go out and account for all four energy cannon equipped Japanese Battleships. Outstanding performance, Lieutenant Commander."

She looked over to Lt. Commander Payson. Bill, you've already heard by now, but I'll confirm it now. Diana's gone. You have the most combat and Command experience, at Ozma's reccomendation, I'm giving you command of the Caballeros. I know you'll make us both proud."

He stood and Saluted, a truly unheard of show of respect for a Caballero and took his seat.

"Major Harger, if you would continue."

The Tall German man nodded. "The American Pacific Fleet lost everything but her three carriers. The Imperial Navy lost everything they sent in. "We're somewhat low on munttions for our missiles, and I'd like to have some time to recharge all the CWIS pods from the main reactors. Beyond that most of the damage to the ship has been repaired as best it can, or addressed to the fabrication department."

"Our concern now is twofold. "We have dramatically altered the course of the war here. Our Decimation of both fleets balances things out, but it's clear we aren't the only ones who came bac. How else could the Japanese ships have energy cannons?

"We must find the other Ships that came back and neutralize them so that this world does not suffer the ravages of our kind of war."

Ozma nods. "The second problem we face is a lack of resources. We have effectively attacked both major factions of the world. Granted in both occassions we were attacked first, but we have seriously hurt them both. It's doubtful either side will rush to aid us. For that reason we must tread carefully and procure resources we need for ourselves."

Commander Jackson took it up next. "This does not rule out Diplomacy. Josh, Gordan, and Roxanne you're going with me, we're going to try and smooth things over with the Americans. If we're lucky we can pump them for information."

The Cpatain looks to Juliana and Sera. "Sera I need you to get our sensor net back online, The fabricators should be almost done with the grid core, I want you to oversee it's installation and testing. I'm tired of being blind and dumb. Juliana, you will Fly the Grungrust as a deterrant. Everyone seems properly intimidated by it. If the mech starts having issues, land on th ARK and we'll send a crew out to handle it."

She looks to them all. "Any Questions or comments?"

Seraphine straightened her shoulders at Captain Ramius' praise, but her smile was faint. "You are too kind, to say so, Captain."

She gave Roxanne a supporting squeeze on the arm for her flight status and Josh got a nod of a approval and a smile, that had just a trace of envy. At least someone did something constructive.

Bill Payson got a considering smile, her eyes heavy-lidded. Not now Sera, save it for later.

Seraphine her attention back to the rest of the commanding officers, listening intently. "I'll get the sensor net working again, Captian, no worries. The ARK will get its eyes back. We may also be able to salvage something from the destroyed fleets, if nothing else, raw material for the fabricators."

Mentioning the annihilated fleets, Seraphine looked down, then firmed her resolve before looking at Captain Ramius directly. "Do we have an estimate for the total death count among the three fleets."

Seraphine obviously didn't want to hear the answer, but felt like she had to.

"I've already Detailed a team to Salavage the Energy Cannon from the Battleships." She looks to Juliana. "The Grungrust will be needed to aid in those endeavors."

She looks to Sera, but Harger speaks. "The official Death toll is.."

The Captain cuts in her voice momentarily hard, then smoothing out. "To be expected when archaic fleets go against the greatest innovation in human technology." She smiles. "I'd have done the same thing in your situation Seraphine, You made the right call."

"Thank-you, Captain, it's nice to hear." There was a hardness around Seraphine's eyes - she obviously knew what the Captain was doing and realized that the number was a lot higher than she thought. She'd ask Omoikane later, in her quarters, with a full bottle of whiskey in hand.

"I'll get to work on the sensor grid right away, Captain. If I may be dismissed?" Seraphine stood straight, the closest she ever came to standing at attention.

Roxanne was caught in conflicting emotions. Granting her flight status was great and she did well in the sudden combat situation but there was still that nagging self doubt about her nightmares and psychological problems. The other issue was – the Admiral was one of the very few people who knew about the cybernetic replacement she had. It was a secret till now and since the Admiral was dead Roxanne didn’t know if she should disclose this matter openly or not.

Seraphine gave her a squeeze on her arm which only reminded her of that issue. She was glad the replacement was top notch high tech and that she had close to zero loss of sense in her limbs. The doctors did wonders on her body and she was truly grateful for this second chance she was given. Roxanne put on a smile casting away those thoughts. She’d talk to the Captain later – alone.

As the issue of diplomacy was raised she eagerly nodded. It had been her intention from the very beginning to keep a good relationship with the US forces and she hoped Admiral Spruance would remember her.

Originally Posted By: Seraphine Devereaux
Mentioning the annihilated fleets, Seraphine looked down, then firmed her resolve before looking at Captain Ramius directly. "Do we have an estimate for the total death count among the three fleets."

“You prevented more unnecessary deaths, Sera. Haven’t you read how the war in the pacific ended? I’m sure your intervention saved more lives in the history books than the numbers used to be. You did outstanding, Sera.”, this time it was Roxanne who gave her sister a squeeze as she whispered to her.

Josh acknowledged the fact that he would be helping keep good relations with the Americans. That was fine, so long as he could do so by helping them mechanically... by fixing their ships... he hoped that the fact that they weren't going to give them any advanced tech wouldn't hurt their chances.

Not knowing exactly how to appropriately take the floor to voice his questions and comments, he tentatively raised his hand. The Captian acknowledged him with a chuckle and Josh started.

"There was mention of salvaging the sunken ships for scrap... while I, personally, am all for that with the Japaneese fleet, I think it might help us, diplomatically speaking, to try and raise some of the ships that we sunk. If we hurry, then there's at least a small chance that there might still be some survivors in sealed compartments. What we can't get floating again, sure, use it for scrap, but I think it would help the both of us.

Also, are we going to create a policy and stick with it regarding not giving anybody from this time any of our or access to any of our technology? Or are we going to trade it for resources and favors?

On another topic, pilot Devereaux brings up an interesting point; regarding the history books. I think it would be worth a look to see if we have any information in our data banks regarding the second World War, and see if it has been changed from what it was before we jumped. If it has, then that could really help us in determining what to do next, and even tracking the movements of our enemies. If not, that gives us some information as well."

With that, he stopped. He was hoping that he had put some useful information on the table and that he hadn't stepped over any boundries. He really didn't like all this politicking...

She hadn't really been speaking at this point, just listening and forming her own opinions. "I hate to bring it up, but if we're considering how history may be altered, if the Japanese have weaponry they shouldn't for the time period, what about the Germans? They were generally more industrialized then the Japanese at this time period, it seems to me that they'd likely be able to take better advantage of the high technology." This situation was beginning to look worse and worse from her point of view, transported back in time, with their enemies who knows where.

Roxanne gave Josh a short angry glare as he picked up on what she whispered to her sister. She wanted to console her with what she said and not tread on the subject. She forced herself to focus back on the briefing and agreed with Lt. Cmdr. Daylena’s concerns about the Germans.

“I hope Admiral Spruance is on board the ARK? I volunteer to make first diplomatic contact with him. He should remember my voice from our first encounter. Do you have any more data about his staff?”

"We will not be providing them any technology, beyond medical technology to help fight disease and heal any wounded still alive after the battle with us."

The Admiral is not onboard. Thus far we've only communicated with them. Their long range systems are down, and They're largely at our mercy."

"We can look into Omoikane's mainframe and check the data, good idea."

The Captain's brown eyes darken at mention of the Germans. "It's possible they have nothing. I'd hope so at any rate but don't count on it. Right now we're in the Pacific, we handle what's going on here first, then We can worry about fixing everything else. We know the Japanese have them, so we salwage them. We can use the Three Tenders for that."

She looks to Josh. "If you think you can raise some of those US ships from the bottom, you've got 3 days, and I'll Put the entire Sideshow on it under your interim command until Captain McAllen comes to."

If that's everyone's concerns, then we're done. You all have one hour to gather what you need then handle the tasks you've been assigned."

Roxanne nodded and even saluted and then went to join Commander Jackson. She didn’t want to lose unnecessary time and was eager to meet the US-Admiral. She gave her sister another short squeeze on her shoulders and smiled warmly at her just before she left the table. “We talk later, ok?”

Once she reached the Commander she saluted him and made a formal request. “Lt. Cmdr. Devereaux reporting for duty, Sir. If I may make a request? I’d like to meet the US-Admiral ASAP, I tried to establish a diplomatic communication with him during the mission and I feel like I failed. Maybe now he will listen to me?”, Roxanne thrust out her chest standing at attention and was most likely too eager for this assignment…

Seraphine gave her sister a soft smile, briefly laying her cheek on the hand on her shoulder. But her eyes, those blue eyes... "Yeah, okay, I'd like that. But first, I'm gonna have to get the sensors back online."

She straightened her shoulders, breasts straining the front of her seldom worn dress uniform. She gave Roxanne a nod to say that she was alright, then another one for Captain Ramius, indicating that she was off to work on the sensor grid.

She headed back to her quarters to put back on a jumpsuit, glad to get out of the dress uniform.

<Don't worry Omoi, I'll get you your eyes back soon.>

Josh stood and gave a short salute, similar to what the others had done. To the Captain he said "Sir yes sir... ma'am". He really didn't like this political stuff.

But it had given him the opportunity to raise the ships and possibly save some lives.

Josh hurried out of the meeting room and back down to his hanger bay. Over his datalink he made a request of the computer. Omoikane, I would like you to rouse and alert all members of the Sideshow to be ready and report to the CeBee's hanger in 30 minutes. This is Eng. Lt. Josh Johnson and I've been given temporary command. Also, would you relay to Albie, callsign 'Flapper' all of the coordinates of the downed ships and the basic outfitting of the different mechs of the Sideshow. Please help him coordinate as much as you're able to, but don't divert any processing power to the task that is needed elsewhere, ok?

Then he used his datalink to access the speakers in his hanger bay. "Team, this is Josh. I've been given temporary command of the Sideshow. We're heading out to go and raise what we can of the American fleet. I've sent word to the rest of the Sideshow to meet in our hanger in half and hour. That gives you that much time to do what you need to. Shower, eat, catch a cat nap, grab some coffee, finish whatever it is you're doing, whatever. We need to get out there ASAP. The longer we wait the slimmer the chances of finding anyone alive down there.

Flapper, I've asked Omom to give you the coordinates of all the downed American ships and the capabilities of the Sideshow Mechs. I've also asked her to help you coordinate. This is bigger than you're used to, but I know you can handle it. I'm on my way... let's get crackin'!"

With that he concentrated entirely on getting to his hanger as quickly as possible.

With everyone dismissed, and tending to their tasks, the Officers each looked at each other. "Is what we're doinging truly the right course Murrue?"

"If we don't do this Ozma, We may never go home."

"I don't think Engineer Devereaux can get us home."

"Pray she can, or all of us are in for some very harsh realities when we get to a mainland area."

----------------------------------

To be continued.

• 1 month later...

3 days later the Massive ships of the American Fleet and the Pantheon crusiers set sail for Pearl Harbor. The entire time, the massive arrays of the Ark picked up every broadcast from the Pacific. Easily swamped with that much information, They recruited the Translators and radio operators from the American Fleet who understood Japanese and set them to work handling the overflow. The end reseult was a wealth of information for the American forces.

It took a week to get to Hawaii, The nanites having dramatically improved the Amercans' speed. Once in Hawaiian waters the Pantheon fleet moved to their small Island, and the tech crews immediately set to work to build warehouses and living quarters on the island. Rome wasn't built in a day, but thanks to the Superior technology of Pantheon, Pan City was.

It was only when they were cleaning out the cargo bays, and secondary maintenence hangar, they found a startling discovery. Pantheon had built 4 Super robots, only one of which was functional.

The Three craft that comprised the Getter Robo were in the bay, each one heavily damaged. Gaogaigar was missing, as was the BladeGainer. The only solace was that neither unit was functioning, their powersources being highly unstable.

The various Mecha pilots were all allowed shore leave in shifts, as was the technical crew in the following week. At the end of the week, A communication was recieved announcing that Admiral Spruance, and President Roosevelt, would bee arriving in two days.

Juliana spent most of the traveling time working on the Grungust, trying to improve it, spending time with the mechanics and improving her knowledge of the scematics, and how the super mech worked. Going by the idea, 'know thyself', so in her view, that ment knowing everything she could about her tools, and practicing extensively with the Grungurst all she could.

Working with the techs, she studied and improved her knowledge of the mech, but also the general technical aspect, she'd done mechanic work before, and it only took her a few weeks to get up to speed with regards to the mecha once again. After all, at this point, who knew what could happen, if she was stranded somewhere, she wanted to be able to fix things, and get back to base.

When they finnaly docked, and they were granted shore leave, she was ready to party, and sought out some of the other mecha pilots, looking for a group to hit the town with.

• 2 weeks later...

Like a lot of the other pilots who weren't laid up in the infirmary, Gordan spent much of his time working on his mech and helping to repair the other Valyries and ship systems. In what little spare time he had he trawled the data banks and carefully questioned some of the American seamen about the history and current situation of the world they found themselves in.

By the time his turn for shore leave comes around Gordan was more than ready to blow off a little steam.

Archived