Aberrant: The Middle Children of History - On the Set: "You call this a script?"

Mech

You know how they say movies go? Great set up, the perfect mix of action, comedy, and drama? Loves Found and Lost, betrayal and redemption? Yeah This script was supposed to have all of that.

What Darren, Ayato, and Conner sit there reading is something Conner looks up and looks at The writer. "You want giant robots in a Feudal Japanese epic?"

"What FUCKING part of "This IS NOT an ANIME" did you not understand? I asked for something that would do well in both markets. we didn't have to rely on the old methonds, but I wanted something believable."

"Well Mister Fontenot, we knew Robots were a form you can easily shift into..."

"And I told you I was not limited to them. No robots, keep this correct for the period. I can do a dragon, or some other great beast, it's easy enough."

He looks to Darren and Ayato. "You guys have any issues, air 'em now."

Ayato looks up. He'd been cast effectively as the Sidekick to Darren. In any event, Conner was playing several roles, most notably the villain. The others involved with the project were all veritable unheard of actors and actresses, though He noted Conner wanted to use Hazuki's song. Perhaps now was a good time to see if he could be constructive.

"Look, both our Female secondaries walked out, I think I might be able to get us replacements, both of them novas. You already want to use Hazuki Mishima's song for one of the others along with Alessa Neri's, but I think we could actually get Hazuki to play the villainess, and her younger sister Minazuki to play the younger heroine. I can ask them if they want, and perhaps a word with their mother from you Conner would get them to be able to show up."

"What are their stats?"

He ran down the lists of accomplishments and what he knew they could do. "Ok Ayato, if they're willing to participate then they're in. He looks at the writer. "Hear that? You've got 4 novas to write for now. Don't embarrass me again."

Ayato looks to Conner and smiles and then to the writer. "I believe in your ability to craft an awesome tale."

All seemed settled and the writer looked suitably cowed and set to fix his poor choice when Connor's cellphone rang. Surprised that someone would call him on the set he actually looked down to see who would have the nerve only to be surprised even more to see it was Elspeth's number. "Elspeth? How are you? I heard you took care of your problem in Sierra Leone, congratulations on that. What can I do for you beautiful?"

Elspeth's melodious voice purred though the medium of transmitted signals, "Connor, I understand you are getting ready to start filming your next movie and I thought I would offer my services. Not as myself of course, since I can't really get involved in the entertainment scene right now with all the politics going on, but I could come join you incognito. I can appear Japanese if you like and older as well if that's what you need. I am sorry for not responding to your request on the opnet, but I was afraid it might get out that I was leaving SL which I can't be seen to do right now. Things are pretty critical at the moment here, but I could join you in a few days if you want me involved..."

Click to reveal..
OOC: Long if you have no objections that phone call is actually happening Telepathically.

(works for me.)

"I'd like that. Let me know when you need a warpgate, and I'll send one for you. I understand about not being yourself, and We'll come up with a way to keep your involvement quiet, even if I need to send a copy there for you. You don't need to appear Japanese unless you want to, and use of your abilities will be optional. I mainly want everyone taking part in this to enjoy themselves. I look forward to seeing you again."

He looks at the others and smiles, much like the cat who swallowed the canary.

*That sounds good but there's no need for a clone or a warp. I can port to you and my only problem is that I will have to film around issues here. I don't need to sleep and you are on the other side of the globe from me so it shouldn't be too big of a deal. Incidentally, I have a friend here that might want to participate too. He's a battle capable nova, but I'm not sure if he can change his appearance. I'll have to check on him, that is if you are interested in me bringing along someone else.*

She waited to see if he had a reply, Connor had mental shielding and luckily he had been willing to let her through to talk directly to his mind, it was tiring enough just projecting thoughts that far much less having to do it through shields.

Another nova is always welcome. I was honestly hoping to get a good amount of novas involved with this picture, It's shaping up to be a good contrast in the difference between nova and baseline. We have some people here who can make him look different without powers if need be, so i don't forsee any real issues.

I'm actually still looking for more people, as I just sent the writer back to rewrite the script again. If you know of any others who would like to participate, invite them in.

His smile grew larger, from canary to chicken.

As it stands I've got five novas counting myself, plus you and your friend. Once you get here I should have a full final script ready.

Netherworld stood by a nova friendly cafe in Paris, waiting for Mr. Connor to arrive. His mind flashed images from earlier in the day when his agent broke the news that Connor had finally accepted. That same agent had almost cost him the opportunity to help on the film a week before, when he tried to negotiate with Connor's people a 1% post-production revenue and Netherworld's name in the opening credits. It was only when Netherworld stepped in the middle of things, and told him that Mr. Connor was a friend, that everything came together.

The agent had come highly recommended, but Netherworld though he was an ass chevaux.

Connor's watch beeped and he sighed, then smiled. "Seems I have an appointment to keep. I'll be back shortly." He looks to Darren. "Time to go get someone who's gonna be a big help on this show. You guys just wait here."

One of his Warpgates opened, and Connor walked through, emerging near the Cafe Netherworld had mentioned in Paris. Netherworld himself was easy to find, especially considering they'd met at Elspeth's party. Connor walked over to the young nova and smiled. Hello my friend. I trust things have been going well for you?"

Netherworld always though that the swirling shapes that composed a warp were beautiful and he found himself marveling at its complexity. It was not until Connor spoke to him that he snapped out of his soporfic state.

"Yes, they have mon ami." Netherworld said with a slight French accent, proferring his hand to the much larger and older genleman. "I hope my agent did not give your people too much trouble. He only wants the best for me. I told him to ease up on his demands."

For Netherworld, this film was an opportunity to expand his retinue. While most of the French and European critics praised his work, they pestered him for more. He'd done the sculpture, moving paintings and simple landscapes. He hoped he could wow them once more and showcase his work to a larger audience. Of course his loyal klatch of occult folk would still be there, and would, out of conviction, support Connor's movie.

"When we get back, will I be working with you or through a special effects team?"

Connor Shatkes the offerd hand and smiles. "No more than is normal. Nobody's name is going in the Title, as this is a movie we're all shooting together, and there simply isn't enough room for that."

He chuckles. "Your aid with special effects would be greatly appreciated. I simply do not have the reserves or capability to provide everything myself. Everyone has their own abilities and thus characters tailored to them to make use of their abilities. However youn and I and possibly Ayato will have the task of providing special effects support where needed."

He nods. "I hope you don't mind, but you'll be on my side in the movie, which happens to be the "badguy" team."

Darren turned to Ayato after Connor had left, "I'm sorry to bring this up now, but I'm afraid I never really followed the Nova scene before my eruption and since then I've been busy trying to sort out what I can do and pushing it in directions I'm interested in."

Realising that he is getting a bit tongue tied, he pauses to gather his thoughts, "What I'm trying to say is that I'm not familiar with what your abilities might be, on the other hand I'm pretty much an unknown so I'll happily fill you in on my stuff I'd you'd like?"

"It is much life life then." Netherworld waxed philosophic. "Good playing at evil for the benefit of good."

Netherworld grabbed his coat and small bag at his feet. In it he had a small sketchbook and note pad. He assumed that there would be food where he was going so he made sure that he had hi wallet.

"Are we ready?" Netherworld said, eagerly eyeing the hole in reality.

Ayato looks to Darren and nods. "Not many people are Darren. I've kept a fairly low profile, well as low as the heir to a super conglomerate can. To get to the meat of your question, I can manipulate Time and gravity, in addition to transforming my body into metal, much as Connor does. It's not a complete list, but it'll suffice for what my role entails it seems. What about you?"

Connor nods. "Lets go." He follows Netherworld through the portal and reemerges in the room where Darren and Ayato are talking. "Sorry about that guys. I needed to go pick up another of our co-stars."He looks to Netherworld and smiles. "This is Netherworld, he's going to be helping with special effects and with the antagonish side of the equation in the movie."

Darren is just replying to Ayato as the others return through the Warp. "Nothing quite so visually spectacular. I can teleport, and use telekinesis which I've recently worked out how to refine to achieve flight and more focussed ranged attack than I initially could manage with the TK. I doubt the Animal mastery will be much use, it hasn't been for anything else much so far. Although may the claws and adhesive grip might help with the special effects side?"

He turns to face the newly arrived Netherworld, offering his hand, "Hi, I'm Darren Thompson."

He looks past Netherworld to Connor briefly, "Did you catch that Connor? Since the surfing trip I've managed to refine my TK into flight and a ranged attack. Do you think I should have told the script guy about that?"

Connor nods. "We can send him an updated list of what capabilities we want considered for use. It's not that big a deal."

He smiles. "It does mean that's less we have to do in some areas though, so that's a plus."

Netherworld nodded to the others assembled. At first he was at a loss of words, as he tried to remember the greeting his mother told him. It came out in French. "Messieurs et madame. Je suis s'il vous plaît de faire votre connaissance."

The blank faces on some told him that he should switch to English. In perfect English and with a slight French Accent, Netherworld held out his hand to Darren. "My apologies, I live in France and am used to speaking it all the time."

Darren happily took the french Nova's hand, "That's alright it's only natural that you would while you are there. Actually that's something I hadn't considered, I guess I should learn a few more langauges if I'm going to be teleporting around the world. Darren Thompson, by the way."

Ayato smiles and greets his fellow young nova. "Welcome to the set. My name's Ayato Connelly it's a pleasure to meet you."

He chuckles. "France is so nice this time of year. You should go there Darren."

He looks to Connor. "Speaking of languages, we're filming this in English right? I know you'd mentioned an overseas release as well, and if you needed help with dubbing it I can help there. Languages are something of a specialty of mine."

Connor nods. "Yeah. We will be filming the main movie in English, but we will Dub and subtitle it in Japanese, Spanish, and French if possible. If possible I'd like to you guys to lend your voices to that effort. if you can't I understand."

Darren looks nervous, "I'll do what I can, and I'll start some langauge lessons as soon as I can arrange them, so maybe by the time filming finishes I'll be good enough to get by helping with the dub in at least one language. Perhaps I could learn to do the dubs phonetically or something?"

"Yes, yes it is." Netherwold responded. "Though I find myself indoors for most of it and don't get out to see Paris very often. I find most...people...strange." He understood what he was and how he was different, and they did too. It was easier to stay away from them and focus on his art. His mother did not make things easier, and he hoped she wouldn't track him down. It would make his work on this move...difficult.

"It's easy enough, When we aren't shoting I could help with lessons in any of those languages." The young sencond generation nova spears Connor with his gaze. "So you've got the four of us and Hazuki and Minazuki, that will give you six novas, Yet I get the feeling from your smile you've got even more on the way."

He chuckled. "So did you get somebody major to join this production, or What Connor?"

Darren shakes his head, "Not that I can think of. You're up to date with my powers and I don't think my skills will help a great deal other than stuff you already know about, so I think I'm done. Although you've got me curious about who these mystery Novas might be."

There are others? Netherworld thought with a child like curiosity. The group that was assembled seemed to know each other well enough was enough for him to share with them why he was here.

"I am here for special effects." Netherworld said, sounding a bit shy. "I am not sure if you follow the art world, but I work with an unusual medium."

"I work with shadows." Netherworld said without expression. "Sculptures and 3 dimensional landscapes."

Netherworld gave ayato a small smile. "That you for coming. I appreciate it. That you enjoyed it means much to me." Is that what I'm supposed to say? Though Netherworld, trying to remember the social greaces his mother taught him when he grew up in exhile.

Darren gets yet another surprise, "what, like shadows caused by light being blocked type shadows? That's incredible, no wonder you do well in the art world. I assume if you have shows that you can make them solid or permenant or something?"

"Yes, I work with light's twin negative." It was difficult for him to explain what the essence of shadowstuff was relly like. He didn't think that anyone really knew. "And they will respond and become solid and permanent if given the correct urging."

Curious as to this man's abilities and occupation, Netherworld asked: "And what is it that you do?"

"What do I do?", Darren was a little embarassed as he replied, "Actually my normal day job was as a Park Ranger in North Wales, and I'm also a volunteer on the local Mountain Rescue team there."

With a little more confidence he continues, "As to my powers, they are mainly Telekinesis, which I've extended to Flight and a forcebolt, and Teleportation. There are a couple of things that seemed to be related to my job as well, like Animal Mastery, claws and an adhesive grip. Other than that I've been boosted above human normal in Agility, Stamina, and Perception."

He was slightlty taken aback by Darren's comment. It wasn't that the man said something offensive, it was that Netherworld got the impression the man was 'First Generation'. He had met few first-geners and he was fascinated by their dual perspectives.

"So..." Netherworld said, trying to not sound foolish. "Were you a regular person at some point?"

Mech chckles. "Darren isn't the only one in this troupe that's a first generation nova, I am as well, though I've been one awhile longer. I know Ayato is second generation, I met his Aunt at one f my movie premiers once."

"I...I didn't know." Now he was embarrased. He had always thought of Mech as a second generation Nova. "I have been curious what life must be like for normal people. I have had power my whole life, yet I find myself drawn to the idea of being a baseline."

"When I meet a nova, I just assume they are second generation, and I forget that they were once a normal human." He hoped he had not offended them. He was also careful not to fall into the Teragen's trap of seeing humans and nova as different entities altogether. While the idea had a certain metaphysical attraction, it was wrong, divisive, and served no purpose but to create anger between the groups.

"Hey, don't worry about it Netherworld. I'm new to this, i guess I assume that everyone is a 1st generation until I find out different or it's obvious from their age. I suppose we both need to make less assumptions." Darrens end with a smile and a shrug.

Archived