Aberrant: Stargate Universe - Steve Courier

Mr Fox

Steve Courier was a handsome man. He used that to his advantage regularly; most of the time it was a completely unconscious reflex born out of long habit and much practice. He stopped in front of the restaurant and allowed the Valet to climb in handing him the keys. He was meeting a very rich and very available recently divorced woman for dinner and he was just a few minutes late. That was perfect, it was always best to keep them waiting just a little. He found that it heightened the sense of anticipation and kept them from feeling too secure. Before he approached the table it would be good to make a quick trip to the restroom to wash his hands and make sure he looked his best.

The restaurant had very nice bathrooms. Granite, and Chrome very tastefully done, he approved. It only took a minute to check himself in the mirror and was just about to turn to leave when he noticed two men enter and walk past him. As they did one casually reached out with something in his hand and pressed it to Steve's neck. He felt a strong sting and then blackness took him.

One of the men spoke into a wrist mic, "Got him."

Sometime later Steve regain consciousness. He was lying on the floor in a large room. It was uncomfortable and he had both a hell of a headache and a backache from the hard floor. He stood up and did his best to brush off his $3000 dollar Armani suit before he really looked around. When he did he was even more confused, the walls were painted institutional green, quite possibly the ugliest color in resistance, but the only furniture was some odd stone sculpture in the center of the floor. He looked at it curiously before going to check the doors. None of them budged. Once he was satisfied that he couldn't escape walked over to check the strange statue.

He did have to admit to himself that it was nicely done. Not exactly in fashion, but the hand that carved it definitely understood proportion. He estimated that it would go for a good price on the market. As he leaned in close to see the carvings one of them began to glow. He was amazed. It had looked like solid rock until then, except for the crystal at the top of course. He revised his estimated market price based on this new fact. He smiled and reached out to touch it and see if it the glowing part actually felt like stone or glass.

He ceased to exist... there was nothing in the entire world but pain, and light.

When he woke again he was strapped to a metal bed and a man was in a chair across the room. "Good morning Mr. Courier. I hope that you are comfortable."

Steve didn't say anything, trying to gather his wits.

"I do apologize for your unusual arrival at our facility, but it was necessary. You had something we needed and we didn't have the time for the niceties. Beside this way we avoided any possible unpleasantness. There was no need to threaten to reveal your secrets or spell out what would happen to you if they were discovered by the wrong people." The man gave small confident smile. "Beside, I think once you get to know us you will enjoy your stay. We have already given you a gift that you will certainly thank us for." He got up and moved to the bed, "Please remain calm. I am going to remove your restraints so that you can get more comfortable." He took the straps with him as he left the room, but before he exited he said casually over his shoulder. "Take a look in that mirror on the wall when you feel up to it. I think you will be most pleased."

It took a few minutes for Steve to work up the strength to get to his feet and stumble to the mirror. What met his eyes made his jaw drop. Even the slack jawed expression that looked back at him was handsome. He had always been good looking, it was how he survived in the high society circles he traveled in, but now he was easily better looking than... well, anyone!

Steve cleared his throat and adjusted his suit and the man in the mirror did the same, it really was him.

None of this made any sense. His face was impossible. OK, ignore that.

This place screamed organization. At least three men, this was a jail cell of some sort, some flavor of law enforcement, but not FBI or local. Seriously no idea why or how he got dragged into this, but this could be an alphabet agency of some sort. Intelligence or counter intelligence and used to playing rough. High stakes implied high money. Hmm...

Making some mistakes though. 'Something they needed' and 'no time for the niceties' and even the veiled threats all said had some leverage. Sloppy to mention that. So... the future was looking interesting. Obviously he was supposed to wait and get nervous, but time was not on their side so they wouldn't be making him wait long. Assume they were watching.

Steve used the mirror to make himself look his best and most polished then waited for his 'benefactors' to return.

After an hour a very large tray of food was brought in and a more comfortable chair. The female soldier didn't look at Steve as she came in apart from the brief scan of the room to make sure he wasn't going to try anything. After she sat the food down she looked over to speak and let him know it was chow time. She froze for several seconds just staring at Steve, then swallowed. "Um... your food. Good... it's good chow. Um... Enjoy." She backed out of the room never taking her eyes off.

Steve could here the woman mutter to herself as the door closed, "Smooth Carol, real smooth." The other guard just laughed at her.

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox
After an hour a very large tray of food was brought in and a more comfortable chair. The female soldier didn't look at Steve as she came in apart from the brief scan of the room to make sure he wasn't going to try anything. After she sat the food down she looked over to speak and let him know it was chow time. She froze for several seconds just staring at Steve, then swallowed. "Um... your food. Good... it's good chow. Um... Enjoy." She backed out of the room never taking her eyes off.
Steve gave Carol a wink and a smile.

*Interesting... she isn't expecting this. So it's not a super plastic surgery machine? This is an unusual effect? Gods what I could do with this face. Although it's going to attract attention. Cameras are just evil sometimes and having them on me all the time is going to crimp my style a bit.*

In the mirror Steve's image faded into nothingness. Not looking at the mirror, Carol didn't notice and shut the door.

Quote:
Steve could hear the woman mutter to herself as the door closed, "Smooth Carol, real smooth." The other guard just laughed at her.
WHAT ON EARTH!

Steve stood up and walked over to the mirror, which continued to show only an empty room. He held his hand up again a wall.

*No shadow either. Invisible? No, she could see me and I can see myself. I'll bet a laser beam would slide through though. Don't all cameras work on mirrors and that sort of thing? So that's light... how about Sound?*

Steve tapped the wall three times, the first two produced sound and the last didn't. He snapped his fingers together and then slapped his hands together, all without sound.

*SNEAKY!!! No more worrying about motion detectors I think. Of course that means walking into stores with automatic doors could be a problem. Does this turn off?*

At that thought his image was back in the mirror. Steve gave his image a smile and ate while he considered.

*These guys have an archeological "artifact" that creates... what? Gods? If this were thousands of years ago, and it looked that old, "Gods" would be the right word.*

*So why on EARTH aren't they using it on themselves??? If I were them I wouldn't be using it on me. Good question. Either they can not or they don't want to. The second would imply I just picked up a limited lifespan or something... no.*

*No. They'd find lots of people willing to trade their life for a year of power, or risk a 90% chance of dying or whatever. They didn't have choice. They had to use me, they actually went to a bit of trouble to find me. I wonder how they knew?*

*Interesting... I think I'm smarter. Let's not tell them about that. I wonder what else I can do? Let's find out.*

Steve was just contemplating his increased intellect when alarms began blaring. Seemed like one of the speakers was just outside his own room. The noise was quite annoying. He didn't have time to worry about that. The door opened and two guards stepped inside with guns raised. Neither was the female guard named Carol. These two had murder in their eyes and didn't care what Steve looked like. It was obvious that they planned to kill him. Whatever was causing those alarms apparently was causing a change of plans for them.

Init: 12

BG init: 9

Steve realized what was coming next but fortunately was never at a loss for words. He said loudly,

"Good! Just like we planned! Now shoot the other guard!"

Hopefully taking advantage any confusion caused by his 'command to attack' Steve attempted to close with the guards.

(Split action: Deflection (4 dice) & Strike (5 dice). Spending a point of willpower on the Deflection, if enough succ he'll try to bounce it on the guard who hasn't fired his gun yet).

((In future you can go ahead and make the rolls yourself in beta chat then post the results here. With 19 characters every little bit helps.))

(Deflection) rolls 4d10 and gets 10,1,9,10. +1 auto [4]

(Strike) rolls 5d10 and gets 3,2,7,7,4. [2]

(Redirect) rolls 3d10 and gets 3,6,9. [1]

(Redirect damage) rolls 5d10 and gets 10,6,8,1 5. [2] Guard takes 2 lethal levels.

In a blur of motion Steve yelled and leaped towards the guards, with one hand he reached out and struck a guard snapping his head back, but not doing much real damage. As the other guard fired his weapon he did 'something'. He couldn't have described it if he had tried, but somehow he felt the bullet coming and shielded himself redirecting it toward the other guard. The bulled winged him but didn't put him out of commission. He in turn leveled his weapon at Steve after recovering from the punch to the face and fired.

(BG2 firing) rolls 6d10 and gets 6,6,7,4,2,3. [1]

(Damage after soak) rolls 2d10 and gets 1,1. [0]

The three round burst tore through the air around Steve, but luckily did not tear into him.

((Begin round 2 same init.))

Lacking an alternative brilliant plan Steve tried to do the same thing again...

(Exactly the same as before. Deflection and one Strike. Bounce them against each other if possible. Drop a willpower point on the first one again. Strike at the wounded guy).

(21:36:16) ChatBot: (Troll) rolls 6d10 and gets 3,9,7,5,3,7. (last two dice are axed since this has to be a split action, so 3 succ).

(21:36:42) ChatBot: (Troll) rolls 5d10 and gets 9,6,7,3,3. (8d with -3 from the split penalty).

(22:18:02) (Troll): Rolling for Steve's damage (assuming he hits).

(22:18:12) ChatBot: (Troll) rolls 7d10 and gets 6,10,2,7,2,6,3.

[Mr Fox] ((The interview takes place about hours after you arrived at the SGC. You have been kept isolated from the others since your arrival.))

[steve Courier] The fight left Steve's clothing somewhat damaged but he made what repairs he could and considered himself well off for being alive to do so.

[Mr Fox] You are in a concrete walled room with a thick steel door, despite the austerity of the room the furniture is comfortable.

[Mr Fox] The door opened and a haggard looking man in his later forties walked through the door followed by a pair of soldiers who stood by the door. The man walked forward and offered his hand.

[Mr Fox] "I am General Jack O'Neil, and you are?"

[steve Courier] Steve instantly rose and shook the man's hand and replied with a slight British accent, "Steve Courier, in your debt sir."

[Mr Fox] The General motioned for the man to sit, and he took the chair on the other side of the table. As he sat down he opened a folder and looked over its contents for a moment before closing it.

[Mr Fox] "Looks like you travel in some pretty high circles. Are you aware of what has happened to you?

[steve Courier] Steve gracefully took a seat and replied somewhat ironically, "I got kidnapped in a men's room, exposed to some... artifact, and then right after that bullets started flying. So I hope you'll understand if I'm a little confused over this entire experience, Sir."

[Mr Fox] O'Neil smiled a small tired smile. "I can imagine. Specifically, I think perhaps you may have noticed that your appearance has changed somewhat." He pushed over a picture of Steve that he had taken from the folder, it showed a good looking man in a suit at a movie premiere. There was no question looking at the face in front of him that Steve Courier had been enhanced by the artifact.

[steve Courier] Steve nodded in agreement and volunteered, "Not just my appearance sir. I was able to hold my own when the bullets started flying and I don't have any military experience at all. Even more puzzling, my shadow comes and goes now. There’s a few other changes too. Sir, if I may ask, what was that artifact?”

[Mr Fox] "I can give you that explanation, but I am going to have to ask that you sign an NDA about anything you may learn as a result of all of this. Are you ok with that?

[steve Courier] Steve replied, "No problem at all, Sir. All of this just screams top secret."

[Mr Fox] That got a quirky smile out of the General. "it is. The group that abducted you is the rogue rememnant of an intelligence agency that was disbanded by order of the President last year. They were disbanded for going too far in trying to protect this country and the world. There are some things that you just don't do, and kidnapping people and experimenting on them in the name of patriotism is the sort of thing that got them canned."

[steve Courier] Steve considered, *No shocks here, some alphabet agency running amuck. Wait...*

[Mr Fox] The artifact that was used on you was a piece of alien technology that was discovered on a planet designated PL1137. It was stolen by the NID and brought here to Earth apparently with the intent of creating supersoldiers. I know this may be hard to believe, but just look in the mirror if you have any doubts about what I am telling you. You are currently in a top secret Air Force facility call Stargate Command.

[Mr Fox] Several years ago a device was discovered that allows us to travel to other planets. I believe you saw it when you were first brought into this facility. Big round metal thing. We call it a Stargate.

[steve Courier] Steve had frowned slightly at the word "world" and the frown had gotten deeper at the word "alien" and "planet designated PL1137". *They have a 6 character id for an alien planet*?

[steve Courier] Steve replied, "You need 6 characters to id a planet? How many planets are we visiting?"

[Mr Fox] Lots. We actually have a team in the Pegasus galaxy right now. Cool huh.?

[steve Courier] Steve replied a little shelled shocked, "Yes".

[steve Courier] "Why... how... is all this secret?"

[Mr Fox] O'Neil's irreverence for life in general was coming through just a bit. "By order of the President."

[steve Courier] "But... I'd think you'd be releasing new technologies, creating new companies, establishing trade, forming colonies, all that sort of thing."

[Mr Fox] We don't want to panic the public. It also helps to keep politics out of it. We've accomplished things in the last few years we would never have been able to if the worlds governments were all clambering for access to the gate.

[Mr Fox] We are doing those things. We are just being very careful about how we go about it.

[steve Courier] : "Thus the expansion of the computer chip companies, flat screen TV, how much can you take credit for? Never mind. The answer is 'enough' isn't it?"

[Mr Fox] : Yes.

[steve Courier] : Steve considered, *Serious money. Serious power. Seriously big time on a world stage. And it's all classified."

[Mr Fox] : I would like to make you an offer. We will be keeping you for observation over the next two weeks to make sure you are not a threat to yourself or others as a result of your exposure to the artifact. After that time, we would like to offer you a job.

[steve Courier] : Steve said, "I'd be delighted, Sir. It looks like this is where real things are happening."

[Mr Fox] : Actually less money than you would think. We aren't in this for profit. All of what we make from it goes toward funding the SGC.

[steve Courier] : Steve made a hand wave to say "it's not important".

[Mr Fox] : You would be put on the payroll, but with the luxury you are used to you might find it pretty stingy.

[steve Courier] : Steve replied, "No problem sir. I think you'll be surprised with what I can make do."

[Mr Fox] : O'Neil nodded. "Good. I am glad you are on board with us. For the next weeks you will be confined to the base for observation and while we do the background check on you to get you security clearance.

[Mr Fox] : After that we'll assign you to a team and see what you can do.

[Mr Fox] : Any questions before I go?

[steve Courier] : "No problem. I want to cooperate in any way possible."

[steve Courier] : "Lots... but most will have to wait for my security clearance I think."

[steve Courier] : "Wait."

[steve Courier] : "The others that went though this... process. Did they all end up looking like this? Are we all the same?"

[Mr Fox] : O'neil shook his head. "You all ended up with different abilities. Makes my job much more difficult. Tons of paperwork. Did I mention I hate paperwork?"

[steve Courier] : "Sorry sir. I'll try to keep my contribution to a minimum. And thanks for saving my life." Steve smiled sincerely. Things were looking up and up.

[Mr Fox] : O'Neil smiled and offered his hand again as he stood shaking Steve's hand warmly. "Welcome to the SGC. Two Airmen will be assigned to you for the next two weeks of observation and to explain to you the rules and procedures of the base."

[steve Courier] : "Good. I'll try to fit right in."

Archived