Aberrant: Dead Rising - Chapter 3a: Regrouping

Dawn OOC

"We did bring back another survivor from Lawton. I can talk to Lorraine and see if she knows anything about the other crew."

Dan listens to the rest and smiles at Jules. "Welcome to the team. I do stress that some of us will have to remain here at the base. Fox and i can both fly and frankly Fox it makes more sense for you to stay here than it does me. I don't have authority here."

"I can carry one or two people there no problem, but I'd prefer to have one empty truck just in case we don't find any viable transportation." He looks over at James. "I know how effectie you are in combat, thus my request for you to accompany us on this run. That said the decision is up to you."

He smiles. "Though coming back from a successful run to a major armory should go a long way to shutting the mouths of the ones who've been complaining about other issues."

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Captain frowned. "I don't think I want to stay behind on this one. Violet will be here and the security guys will be here also. We'll only be gone a few hours after all." Fox looked at James and Violet, "So did I hear right that you have a way to help defuse the situation? I'd love to hear the details of that."

"War abroad - Peace at home," Priest says without too much gusto. He was more of the opinion that their time would be better spent figuring out how to make normal folks and special folks want to work together as opposed to splitting themselves apart. It was Fox's show though and the run would profit his team a good deal. Weapons always made for good trade goods. Having so many special people along would mean, normally, the mission would be much easier with a greatly diminished chance of loss. Keeping his people alive and untainted was always his top priority.

Getting his people out of the enclave and away from the whole Violet-harem situation was also a plus. That was some weirdness he didn't want to get, or stay, too close to.

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox
Fox looked at James and Violet, "So did I hear right that you have a way to help defuse the situation? I'd love to hear the details of that."

Violet blew a strand of hair out of her sight to reveal a perfect smile flashing her white teeth for a brief moment. "I'm sure my offer will cause quite some talk among the morally less flexible in our community but I do believe it will be to the benefit of us all.", she paused for a short moment before she continued, shifting her weight from one foot to the other as she made a small step towards the center of the room drawing even more attention to herself.
"I know that people are getting frustrated and that is not only to blame on us.", she made a gesture that included James to what she said.

"It is only a matter of time before tension builds. People have always craved and wanted what they can't have. It seems to be human nature, even in these days. The gap between the haves and have-nots is even greater than ever. As we are all aware there is a lack of women in general and therefore a lack for intimacy and solace. Many have lost their families, their loved ones and lovers. We all have reasons to grief and this puts a major strain on morale. People need to find some way to charge their batteries, to forget about the atrocities of everyday living and take a time out. I have more than enough space in my club to accomodate for several 'private areas'. The shows I'm planning could be considered 'foreplay' and the girls I'd like to employ would have a place to stay, be safe and share some of that intimacy so many crave and need. I'm sure I can provide for them if you guys help me out a little."

She was waiting for any first reactions wanting to let that sink in for the moment.

Click to reveal..
The Voice and Persuader active // Persuasion roll nets 6 Suxx Persuasion roll assuming 2 Autosuxx (9d10.hits(7)=4) // Performance roll nets 5 Suxx Performance roll using The Voice +3 Autosuxx (9d10.hits(7)=2)

Even without Violet's persuasiveness Morgan was relieved. He was thinking of exactly the same thing but unsure how Violet would react if he brought it up. He beamed her a smile that warmed the night. "Violet, have I mentioned lately that I'm glad you decided to settle here with us? I was thinking the same thing. The big question I have and concern is public health. If your girls decide to bestow their favors on the men of the base, and I do mean favors, we will not be running any kind of sex slavery ring here, they will have to be checked on regularly to ensure they don't spread anything besides love and happiness." He looked at Violet, "You ever been to Japan? I was stationed there for a short time and I really enjoyed the Geisha. They make men feel good without sex, they are companions for hire and it is a noble tradition that has been around for hundreds of years. That's the ideal I'd like to shoot for. How does that sound?"

"I, um, I'm not sure this is a good idea," Jules said, stiffening up a little. "I know I'm a newcomer, not a resident even, and I probably have no say, but this needs more thought. I mean, I'm going to say it's bad, but I think there's more going on here than sex. Some of it is just sex, but Violet, you yourself said they have a lack of intimancy and solace. That's not going to be solved by making a brothel.

"Look at it this way," Jules said, leaning forward and beginning to talk with her hands, her copper fingers dancing as she spoke. "A man visits the bro- Violet's. And he's got a girl for an hour. For that hour, he's fine, he's happy. But eventually, he has to leave, go back to his cold bed. But he knows that others have someone with them, and he wants that, too.

"Some people will be placated by open access to sex, but some won't," she said, a furrow appearing on her forehead as she spoke intently. "But a lot of men want lovers, wives. Setting up a brothel makes the shortage of women worse, not better. And you'll be upsetting the less 'morally flexible' which you already seem to have problems with, from what I've gathered. Honestly, if you're going to fight the less morally flexible, you should enforce polyandry, not polygamy or prostitution. At least then guys have a woman they can have, even if they have to share. She's his, in part. With a prostitute, all he has is a bill and memories."

Jules stopped and glanced around the room. "I like the idea in part, it just needs some reworking and reconsideration," Jules finished, smiling at Violet. "We just need a lot more..."

She stopped, frowning. She's clearly considering something, but doesn't continue.

Click to reveal..
Manipulation roll to persuade:

1d10=6, 1d10=9, 1d10=9, 1d10=2 = 2 sux

And before I have people wondering what's up, Jules HATED this idea. The fact that she's even saying that she likes it in part is tribute to Violet's persuasive manner. She will not be able to stop it if Violet pushes it - she doesn't have the dice to resist - but she needed to air her concerns. smile

Morgan considered Jule's words and reactions. "Well, brothels have existed throughout every time and culture in the world even the least morally flexible. I don't think we can prevent that from occurring eventually as the base gets bigger. What I would like to do is ensure those who participate don't end up spreading disease through the community or catching them for that matter. But as for Violet's proposal, I was thinking in terms of Geisha, which are companions and would really be more like what you suggest of sharing someone special. Geisha are really badly thought of in the west because of misunderstanding what they do but their reputation is entirely unjustified. Like I said, I was stationed in Japan for a short time and I never knew of any GI's that actually had sex with a Geisha, prostitutes yes, but not Geisha. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't want any women to feel even the slightest pressure to have sex with the men of the community, but if, and I mean IF they chose to do so I want to make sure they are safe."

James carefully didn't comment on the odds of a club run by Violet remaining 'without sex', but instead said,

"I don't have a problem with polyandry..." (Obvious lie) "...but if we're going to tolerate that then we should be opening up to polygamy and group marriage in general."

"We probably already have prostitution around. I say Fox has better things to do than to police other people's bed rooms."

"We'd have to climb up to be the Wild West here. A men's club with Geisha isn't a perfect solution, but the perfect solution would be... damn." James said the last word as a thought occurred to him.

He added, "The perfect solution would be to go out and find more women. That means raiding other communities. I'm not suggesting we do this, but that might explain some of what's going on. Other groups are going to have the same problems."

Jules looked up, her thoughts broken as the others spoke. "James, in this world, this situation, any man with more than one woman is selfish beyond reason," Jules said, unaware of the insult she was levying. "And we're not in the Wild West. They had a government they could fall back on back East, and if you didn't like where you were, you could go back home. This is not the case here. I could leave, but I've got no where to go. This situation is completely different from that one.

"But what you said... I think I know of a place where we could find more women. I'm not sure... well, let me tell the story. You decide."

Clearing her throat, Jules took a deep breath and said, "I passed through New Mexico on my way here. Near Grants, I found a sign directing me to shelter. I followed it, and found myself at the Corrections Department Facility, now known as Paradise.

"B-" Jules stopped, her voice thick. After a moment, she continued,

"We were allowed to enter. The leader of the facility is Joshua Hornsbeck, a former guard there. He welcomed us, got me a room in what used to be a jail cell... and then told me the cost. I was expected to work for our food and board. I refused and they threatened... threatened Ben. I squeezed out of my cell that night, freed him and left with the clothes on our backs.

"He and his small cadre have taken over the prison and turned it into... I don't have the words, but there's maybe thirty men there and a couple of hundred prisoners left. And all of those prisoners were women.

"Those women were all convicts - murders, drug users. Some of them were pretty badly broken after their treatment by Hornsbeck and his men. Some of them were pregnant, which is an added complication. But they might help solve part of your problem, if you can get to them."

She glanced at Fox. "I know you guys have another obligation to deal with. And I don't know if you even want them here," she said, meeting his gaze with a candid expression. "They aren't good women. But there are a number of them, and it might help tensions here."

Fox considered. The longer he considered the angrier he got.

Finally he said quietly but with strong emotion in his voice, "Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but I can't let that situation remain. It isn't our first priority and will make matters more complicated here even if it might solve one problem as well, but even though the nation I swore the oath to doesn't exist any more, I did swear to protect people against that kind of crap. I'll go there and bust some heads myself if I have to but any of the rest of you are welcome to join me." He looked deadly intent but, seemed to lose a little of the edge as he added, "That just makes our trip to Lawton all the more important."

Priest shakes his head as if coming out of a dream, or more like it, a nightmare.

Click to reveal..

Spending a Willpower and using Iron Will to shrugh off Violet's mind affects

"I'm in a hundred percent agreement with Mrs. White Elk," Priest says while finishing grinding his teeth. He spares Violet a suspicious glare.

"Brothels existed in the Old World not to address some inequalities, but as an outlet for sexual desires. Sure, this whorehouse can accomplish some of what's needed, but its going to end up just re-enforcing the inequality that exists."

"Violet, men are going to come to want more than a few sweaty minutes on some dingy sheets. They are going to want more. It will be like danging a bloody piece of meat down to some starving dogs. Sure, they can taste the blood, but is that really satisfying."

"It may be satisfying to you having all those men desiring you, but its not going to do them anything but long term harm."

Preist shakes his head,

"Hell, not a night goes by that I don't miss my wife. I'm not ready to move on yet, but when I do, I sure as hell hope I will find something a sight more substantial than what's being proposed here. I have a daughter to think about. I don't know how I would explain what kind of sham this place is."

Violet sighed stepping back to lean against James again. "I was only trying to do what I can do. I never said it was the solution to the problem. Actually I think all it does is prolong the inevitable."

Her voice changed a little as she spoke, sounding very direct and serious, "I'm going to defend what is mine and I want to do my part to make things better for this community. I know you don't like what I do or for that matter what we do. But I belong to James and nothing is going to change that. The same goes to Jill and Jo. Try to change that and you'll get to know a part of me you rather not want to see."

She waited a short moment and then put on a perfect smile again as her voice changed in tone to the melodic almost elven-like quality, "I'm trying to help, honestly. I don't want to take anything away from you - actually I'm more than willing to share. There are only things I can't or won't share and all I ask for is to respect that."

Violet looked at the Captain and answered his question, "I will give that some thought - of course only if my offer is sill welcomed. Is there a doctor in this community? He should examine the girls on a regular basis. I don't want to be responsible for anything that would do more damage to this community than necessary."

James frowned at Jules "accusation" but didn't get offended, he'd been expecting this and besides, she had a point. James held up a hand in acknowledgment and said a little defensively,

"OK, I'm well aware my living arrangements seem 'selfish', but that's not how it started out, and I don't see what I can do about it now. Jill and I hooked up after Z-day, she invited her sister Jo, then Violet and Jen sort of invited themselves."

"No one is being forced to stay at gun point or through drug addiction or anything." James continued a little ironically, "I'm just stunned to learn any women would find money, power, strength, security, or really great sex to be attractive."

He added more seriously, "I think they'd rather stay with me than be shared by three or four men. Ideally we'd get a group marriage license, but we don't have to have one. I've promised each of them that I'd die or kill for them."

"If someone can convince one of them to leave then I'll allow it, it's a free country, but I'm not kicking anyone out into the cold because of some third party's hurt feelings."

Fox frowned. "Actually there is no country free or otherwise. There is only what we make. I'm the leader here because I had the foresight to close this place up tight after Z-day and because folks mostly think I'm doing right by them. As such, I don't thing prostitution is a good idea. Never have. But. There's always a but. It will happen eventually and when it does, I expect the women to be healthy and I expect that they will be checked regularly. I know people are opposed to that, but when it happens I want it happening in a controlled manner rather than having some syphilitic ho spreading disease through this community. Pardon me for my bluntness, but that's what I aim to do. Now, I'm not going to go out of my way to make prostitution happen. I'd be happiest of all if it never does, but Violet, I want you to keep your eyes open and make sure that IF let me repeat again, IF it happens you grab the girl up by the ear and make sure she does it right. I don't want he learn that you are going out and recruiting girls for the job though. Understand?" He gave Violet a serious look and met the eyes of everyone else in the gathering.

"I do like the Geisha idea. Men need companionship and some men won't ever be able to find a lover or a wife no matter how many women we have in the community. No reason they shouldn't have someone to talk to that will give them a sympathetic ear. That's the main thing Geisha do by the way. Geisha are no prostitutes. Violet if you want to arrange that kind of thing you have my blessing, but you make sure the women know they are not whores." Looking to the group again, he finishes, "That will alleviate the tensions somewhat. Rescuing those women in New Mexico might balance the books a bit in terms of numbers, and that solves another problem while creating more."

"Now one thing a good leader does is listen to advice. Anyone has better answers I'll listen and make em happen."

Dan listens patiently, unmoved by Violet's speech, but he'd also considered how such a thing would help. "I like the Geisha idea myself, but I agree that it will simply postpone the inevitable."

She cracks the knuckles of his right hand and then Frowns. "I agree completely with you Fox that we can't allow conditions to continue on at the corectional facility. I Vote that we make this armory run, and then plan to take on the New Mexico facility."

"Something to consider if we are going to tackle that facilty." He looks to Jules. "Please do not take this the wrong way. While I believe we should go and put a stop to how things are done, Fox you want to prevent disease from entering this community. How would you handle someone from the facility that wishes to come here, but has some form of communicable disease? Unless I miss my guess none of us has the ability to heal anyone other than themselves."

He frowns. "I don't advocate turning them away, or leaving them there for some other group to take advantage of, but as Leader of this Enclave this is something you have to decide on how to deal with. Priest and I aren't members of this Enclave, even though you've graciously allowed us both access to the facilities and supplies here. That's all well and good, but it's also why neither of our opinions matter to the people here on base."

He looks to Violet and and James. "For the record what you and yours do in your private life is no concern of mine, so long as it does not infringe on the rights of others, make yourselves happy." He lets a smile shine through. "Though you may wish to be a little more circumspect for awhile, until we get things settled here."

He looks ack to Fox. "Make the call, I'll back you either way."

(WP roll to resist (21:24:58) ChatBot: (Long) rolls 10d10 and gets 10,3,8,8,10,7,9,9,7,6. (8 successes))

Fox frowned at Hawkins' words. "Yeah, disease is bad. If any of the folks there have some kind of disease that could be spread to the community here we'll have to find a doctor to treat them or we'll have to turn them away." He didn't look happy about it, "But at least they will be free of that hell they are in now. None of them have to come here after all, they might well chose to go somewhere else, or even stay where they are once their slave masters are dealt with. Hawkin's you do bring up a good point though, we should make finding a good doctor a priority, maybe even before we got after the New Mexico facility. We will probably need them there."

"The Club is something I wanted to run anyways as a matter of fact. The brothel aspect is just something new that came to mind after I heard the rumors about discontent or should we say jealous men?", she looked around to make sure that only 'special' people were present.

"Like James explained - he promised to protect us and provide us with what we needed. What you guys don't know is the nature of our relationship or should I say relationships? One thing is Jennifer and it is only a question of time until one of you found out. This is something I'd prefer to stay secret and I kindly ask you to keep it secret."

Click to reveal..
Persuader on the last request // First dice is Mega netting 6 suxx Persuader roll assuming 3 Autosuxx (9d10.hits(7)=2)

Violets shape slowly seemed to change shrinking both in height and volume. Her hair got darker and much shorter until it was a deep brown tone and her features got more delicate and 'petite'. After a few seconds Jennifer stood there holding up the top against her chest which was too large now for her smaller shape.

"Violet and I are the same person."

With Violet gone James could think more clearly, *Ouch Babe. 6 people can't keep a secret. Priest will tell his crew, etc. One week tops the base will know it's only three women. Not sure if that's good or bad.*

James said, "The same person, except you know, not. We respond differently to her, she responds differently to us, the end result is very different."

"And I suggest we let people know we're going for that slave camp second thing."

Dan shakes his head. "I say we don't tell the base until after the armory run. Some of the men may decide to go to the facility on their own, and while that's their decision, I think that whole situaton would go better if at least some of us sitting at this table were there."

He looks to Violet/Jennifer and smiles. "I see two different people, end of story." He could keep a secret and knew that this could definitely shake things up around the enclave.

Jennifer fidget a little with her clothes feeling a bit awkward and missplaced among the 'supers' now.

"I thought I should be honest with you guys here and I apologize to you Captain. I didn't mean to keep this hidden from you but... but I didn't know how to tell. James and the sisters helped me a lot, both me and Violet and...", she was obviously struggling for words. A complete contrast to her overly confident self as Violet. Jennifer was really nervous.

"You may not care about this but it is not like James is with the three of us in the way people are talking about. James and Violet are obviously a couple. But Violet is a little more complicated. She swings both ways if you catch my drift.", it was funny to see Jennifer blush at the last confession.

"Anyway - Priest... I just wanted you to know that I fully respect your believes and the way you try to raise your children. I won't interfere with that, I promise. I know these are strange times and I'm only trying to find my place as much as everybody else does.", Jennifer sounded genuine as she spoke that.

"If you don't mind, I'd like to change back.", not waiting for an answer Jennifer slowly transformed back into Violet. As she finished her transformation she leaned herself against James and watched the others carefully. She had just exposed a very private part of herself and hoped that it would be well received. The difference between the two women was astounding nonetheless - especially after witnessing a direct comparison.

Priest keeps his own council and studies Jennifer intently, with hard, clinical eyes. Behind those eyes a sharp mind tries to makes sense with what his emotional base is telling him. It's quite a tale.

"Can you always switch back and forth between your ... states," he asks after a moment. I'm going to hazard a guess that before Z-Day, you were just and only Jennifer. Sooo ... nevermind."

"Your secret stays with me as long as none of mine's lives hang in the balance. They don't need to know this. It won't help anyhow."

"What I don't get is how much things ... my animal brain reacts to you when you are Violet. Sometimes it gets so bad A' feel as if the back of my head is going to explode. Its like you are pushing yourself on me with your very presence. I can't say I care for it, but what are we going to do ... if it isn't on purpose."

Click to reveal..

Priest is reacting to her Mega-Socials combined with her Tainted Unearthly Beauty. When she pushes him, his Iron Will is kicking in.

"As for the prison hell hole, let's not put the horse before the cart. Let's see what we find in the armory and then plan on what we are going to do with our increased resources. Remember, there are raiders out there to, less we forget that compound we found blasted last week."

"New Mexico is a long way off. If the compound calls for help, we can't gallop back as the cavalry, not from New Mexico."

"As for my part, I'm all for going down there and destroying that place. We'll need a refrigerated trailer - modified - to bring the people back. We'll need to hit some clothing stores for the women too, plus some sort of housing."

The young Scavanger Lord looks down as he kicks a pebble across the dusty turf.

"We will also have to deal with the suicides, putting them down if the get back up. There is also the matter of tending to those who have been ... broken. That's going to be a tough job and we don't have much manpower."

"We'll also have to do something with any prisoners we take. My crew aren't executioners." He looks around with those dark eyes. "Are any of you?"

"Setting them lose doesn't sit well with me either. They are dangerous, depraved men. That means a prison, or leaving them weaponless against the elements, or some other option I'm not considering right now."

"What I'm blathering on about is that this is going to be a full run with a lot of planning needed along with a shitload of luck. Let's get the weapons first."

Fox nodded, "Absolutely. First things first and that means the Armory. I say we leave at first light tomorrow morning. As for the prison, once we get the munitions we can go out there prepared for whatever kind of assault we think we might need to make but before we actually do anything we'll use a little stealth and scout things out them make final plans. After that, and only after that, we can decide whether or not to be judge, jury and executioners."

Originally Posted By: Priest
"We'll also have to do something with any prisoners we take. My crew aren't executioners." He looks around with those dark eyes. "Are any of you?"
Violet feels James get very still and he does his best to keep his face blank.

Dan's face darkens in response to Priest's question, the answer was simply not a pleasant one. "I will be honest with you all. Some people deserve death. I am a soldier, and Soldiers are trained to kill when we must, to kill thosw who need killing. A long time ago I fought to protect others, now I fight to see others protect themselves."

He looks to the others. "I will not kill someone who has done no harm, nor will I kill someone too cowardly to try to Live in this world. I will kill those who deserve it, and those who have been bitten and ask to die as a human, and not one of those things."

He nods to Fox. "Sounds like a plan of action."

The Captain looked pleased by Hawkins' words. "Anyone else have anything to say or bring up? If not we will meet in the morning at sunrise. Two of us will fly cover and scouting and we will take one vehicle just in case we don't find any at the armory. I doubt that will be the case however. People went down after the plague pretty quick. Unless it was looted in the first three days I doubt it was. People had too much on their minds at that point to worry about an armory in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma."

Violet squeezed James' arm for reassurance knowing exactly why he was trying to keep a poker face. She listened to the conversation and raised an eyebrow somewhat surprised. Her eyes stayed with the Captain watching him and trying to figure out if he didn't care or if there was another reason for completely ignoring her revelation as Jennifer. Her expression was a mixture of confusion and uprising anger.

Now that went rather smoothly. I would've expected some more controversy about me and Jennifer.

She didn't want to get too involved in the matter but there was no denying that she had her way with men, especially men like those in New Mexiko.

"I'm not sure if this can be of any help... but I suppose I can easily convince those guys to sell their mothers to the devil and give me their souls as a gift - figuratively spoken of course. Maybe I can help you guys gather some information before you make any terminal decisions about their lives?", Violet had a devilish grin in her face as if she was not only speaking figuratively.

Picking up what Priest left half unspoken she looked at him and briefly smiled trying to hold back the effect she could produce on men. "If you want we could talk after this meeting about that. It won't take too long I guess and I don't mind if James stays around. Up to you, Priest.", her offer sounded genuine.

Jules watched Violet warily. She wasn't sure what to make of this flip-flop, and for the first time, she considered the thought that these people weren't superhuman. They were inhuman. The thought was terrifying, but if it was only Violet, Jules was sure she could handle it.

But her suggestion drew a reaction. "No, these fuckers only deserve death - or castration," Jules said, her features tight with anger. "Leaving them alive is an injustice to the world. If necessary, I'll kill them all myself, with my bare hands." She looked around the room, her eyes meeting everyone's there so they could see how serious she was.

After her moment of contact, she looked back at Violet. "And I don't care what you tell me about them. I don't care if they insist that they were forced to do it. You haven't seen what I have. They have given no mercy, and they shouldn't get any in return."

"Jules, we will go there and look for ourselves. If what you say is true and I don't doubt you, then they won't receive mercy. I won't turn a rabid dog loose on the world. The survivors have enough to contend without having to worry about those kind of people on top of the zombies."

Priest shakes his head while looking down. To him it was another sad reality of just how screwed this world had become. As few people as there were left in the world and here they were calmly, or in the case of Jules, not so calmly talking about population reduction.

Well, this tidal wave was going to happen. There was little sense in standing against it.

"I figure two of my boys could probably help out with this ... and me. Probably Bethany too. The others don't have it in 'em, or I'd rather not see what they would be like once they came out."

He stops looking down. His suspicious eyes fall on Violet.

"Sure we can talk ... alone. I don't need James' eyes burning a hole in me."

It had come down to that in Priest's eyes. Studying the dynamic, it was Violet who owned the pants in that family. Sure she let James wear them, but when push come to shove, it was her twisting ways that prevailed in their home. Of that, Priest had little doubt.

Priest hefted his ever present assualt rifle onto one shoulder and motioned for Violet to come along.

Violet gave James a short kiss on his cheek. "I'll be in my quarters, this won't take long."

She smiled at Priest and excused herself for the abrupt leave, "I'm sorry about this, but this talk is going in a direction I don't need to know... don't want to know. TMI, you know?"

Violet was glad that Priest took her offer to talk in private. The plans about New Mexiko were things for the military guys, not for someone like her. She didn't like killing, she didn't like violence and she preferred to keep her conscience free of that kind of thing. She was already moving in a moraly questionable style of living.

"Would you mind if we went to my quarters at my club? You're invited, drinks are on me.", she caught up with Priest moving right next to him but avoided getting too close to him. She didn't want him to feel uncomfortable around her. It took her a good deal of self control and not try to seduce him and take control of the conversation. That was not her goal - she needed him as levelheaded as he could possibly be.

She was doing it again. Maybe she didn't mean to. Maybe she did. Priest couldn't tell, so he asked.

"Do you do this on purpose?"

Seeing that she didn't understand, that he needed to be more specific. The leader of his band of misfits had to bite his lip in frustration. Somehow he needed a clearer head.

That was it. He made eye contact, his big dark eyes staring into hers.

"You suck up the light when you walk into a room. Everything is like Look At Me! but the light is too ... something. Too harsh. Too reflective. Too perfect. It's like you eat away at the senses, and not in a good way."

He looks away. His words weren't good enough. It really didn't matter.

"Here is how I see it. You lead your tribe and I'll lead mine. As long as we are here in this compound, I'll support you and I expect the same. You let my people be and I'll deal with yours fairly. Once ... if you ever leave this fort, we are neutral. No reason not to lend a helping hand if needed."

"That sound fair to you?"

He stood there, hand extended, with an arua of perpetual youth about him. His eyes that had seen so much horror appeared as if they had somehow seen past that and found hope. It was as if he was offering some of that hope in his hand and with his eyes.

Violet wasn't expecting his reaction. There was something eating at him. An internal struggle he seemed to be losing but she couldn't tell what or why.

"I didn't mean to offend or threaten you in any way, Priest. Actually I was hoping to find a friend in you. Someone to talk to.", she hesitantly reached for his hand.

"I was hoping that Jennifer could have this conversation with you. My offer still stands, but I'd feel much more comfortable if we continued this at my club. Please."

Her eyes met his and shone with their unnatural color and beauty. She was truly unlike any woman before. There was something in her eyes that almost seemed to beg him to come with her and he could feel how much restraint she put on herself, howmuch willpower it cost her not to 'push' him.

He hesitated. This was dangerous ground. He really didn't want to go almost with the same blazing intensity that he did, and he know it was wrong.

"Okay. We'll walk back to your place. James had better tag along. I don't want any misunderstandings with him."

Which was an understatement.

As the shifted directions.

"I would prefer to deal with Jennifer. She's just plain folks. I like that about her ... you," he whispers.

He resists the foolish urge to hold her hand. He fought it down, crushed it, and stomped on it.

Suddenly, he knew why. She could take Sarah away. She could twist Sarah's mind so she couldn't remember her old friends as friends. She could take her Mother's place and Priest wasn't having that. Not now. Not ever. His resovle strengthened and his shoulders squared.

The urge to hold her and possess her like he had only one other woman passed under that titanic paternal resolve. Now he knew he could walk into her place and out again. She was Grendal's Momma and he was Beowulf.

Violet nodded and almost looked relieved that he agreed. "Don't worry about James. There is no reason for missunderstandings. He saved me, you'll understand once we're at my place."

Priest was an interesting fellow. Something about him appealed to her but she had to put that thought aside. This was important. She had to do this.

As they reached the club she guided him inside and offered him a seat at the bar. "I'll be right back, Priest."

Violet disappeared through a door that obviously led to her private quarters. Upstairs she briefly explained to JoAnna and Jill that she was having a talk with one of the other supers as Jennifer. After about 5 minutes Jennifer came back wearing her usual business attire. She still was an attractive woman but compared to Violet she paled to a faint shadow.

"I really thank you for doing this, Priest. I want you to understand something. Something about me and Violet and in that regard about James and the sisters, too. When I came here and Captain Morgan took me under his protection I was... different. I don't want to bore you with all the details but lets say that Violet was much more reckless and 'out of control' as she is now. I... I couldn't control her.", she was struggling to find the right words.

"Violet would've taken what she wanted and dropped it like hot potatoes once she got bored with it. Normal men couldn't keep up with her. Then I met James and the sisters. I think I owe them my life. I know that my style of living is questionable. Morally irresponsible. But trust me, without them things would be much worse. I need them. Violet needs them.", she sighed looking at Priest through worried eyes.

"I'd never harm your family but I want you to understand who I am. This world has gone crazy and sometimes I feel like I'm losing my mind. I'm not evil.", it seemed important to her that he understood what she was trying to tell.

After Violet walked away Moran shuddered. It was like the night fell when she left, only it was already night. That trick of hers of changing into Jennifer, or he supposed more accurately Jeniffer changing into Violet just creeped him out. Jennifer had asked to meet with him a couple days ago. He had almost gone on a date with her. He'd hate to think of the tangled situation here at the base if he ever became entangled in that little love quadrangle. He didn't figure James for being a sharing kind of guy. Of course neither was Morgan and that would not have been pretty. He and James were too well matched, neither of them would come out a winner regardless of the outcome if they ever went at it. He'd have to be very careful around Violet and Jennifer. Despite it all he couldn't help but feel a little regret about Jennifer being part of that quadrangle.

He looked around the group to see if any of the others had any questions or concerns about tomorrows mission and without conscious thought he placed one hand on Jule's back giving it a little comforting pat reassuring her that she was with friends.

James let Violet leave with Priest... noted that the conversation had kind of died, and walked out.

*Hmm. They walking towards the club. That's where I was going to go. Will they think I'm following them?*

*Aren't I following them?*

*Whatever.*

James returned to the club, noted Priest was still there, then went up stairs to talk with Jo and Jill about the upcoming projects.

"I don't think I'll ever not see Violet as dangerous. I hope I don't, because that will most likely mean she has won. That's one of the reasons I haven't even considered settling down here. Violet wants things. What happens if one day she decides she wants Fox?"

He holds up his hand, his black eyes sad.

"Don't say it won't happen, or that you've been changed or saved. I don't know if you've noticed, but I've been getting more powerful - my visions clearer. Violet is getting more powerful too, I have no doubt."

"What are you going to do then? She has her wants and her desires and James is ... well, James. The other power in this burg is Fox, not James. Power equals security. More power equals more security and I'm betting Violet's appetite will get larger."

"I'm sorry that I feel this way, because I don't have a solution for you. Violet is a user. Most users don't rehabilitate well. Using is like an addiction and addicts are never cured."

"I hope I'm wrong, but my instincts for people is good. My life depends on it."

Priest stretches his legs then stands up.

"I hope the sedentary life works out, truly. Its a rough world and ... well ... people deserve to feel happy, if not be happy. Peace - out."

He turns to leave.

Jennifer seemed to shrink and even wince with every truth Priest said. She knew he was right, she knew he wasn't holding back. The truth was he was right about her... about everything he said.

Unable to speak she watched him leave caught up in the turmoil of emotions that he has left. It was a quesion of time until she would hunger for more, until even James and the sisters would've been spent for her. What she needed was a miracle. She didn't want to end that way. She didn't want to lose it all just to move on and suck the life out of another one until she got tired of it.

Jennifer stood up and went upstairs to her quarters. Seeing James with the sisters she ran wordlessly to him and embraced him as tightly as she could. "Hold me, James. Please just hold me now."

As she felt his arms around her she started to cry like she never did before. She didn't want to lose him, she didn't want to succumb to Violet.

Archived