Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): In the Shadows of the City - [FIC] Ken Ani and the First Meeting with Lindh

These days, or nights, in Tokyo you walked away from the sounds of someone calling for help. If you were really careful, you ran. When something was growling from the direction of the plea for assistance, you ran fast.

Ken wasn't sure why he went to the man calling for help. The guy looked hurt and was stumbling down the alley toward the street. It seemed such a little thing to do to go help him the last little bit of the way. Besides, this was a safe part of town, wasn't it?

"Here friend," he called out as he came up to the wounded man. Ken could now see blood on the man's hands and on his abdomen. It didn't look good. He got to the man's side and took him up by one arm. Ken put the arm over his shoulder, grunting as he lifted him to a standing position.

"Almost there," he whispered.

Ken was so focused on the man he was helpin he didn't he didn't see the shadow rise up behind him. He didn't see four arms reach out of the dark. Three arms reached for the man, while the fourth one grabbed Ken and throw him on one easy action to the rear of the alley.

The one good thing about Ken flying through the air was that he didn't see those three arms tear the man apart and flay the skin of his face. That would have left him hopelessly vomiting.

Ken hit hard but rolled up, luckily, into a sitting position. His school briefcase was somewhere in the trash. He quickly got his bearing. The creature, monster, whatever it was was turning to him.

I'm going to die. I'm so going to die.

Ken's hand fell on a pipe and his fist closed in around it. At least he had a weapon. Ken stood up and tried to hold the pipe menacingly. The creature said something in a guttural tongue then gave a moist chuckle. Ken looked for a way out of but there but the L turn in the alley was even longer than the way past the demon.

I'll only die tired.

A terrible resolve filled Ken. He couldn't go out this way. In fact, this creatures very existance made him ill with anger. It shouldn't be here. He had to do something now, but ... with a pipe?

Suddenly there was a warmth around his throat. His mother's amulet began pulsing with a bluish light. Ken clutched it tightly. It was all he had to remember of her and he couldn't let it fall into that thing's clutches. Now he was really angry ... and he wasn't alone.

"What? Huh? Listen, I was just trying to help someone."

No answer and he had to come up with some answers. Hell, if he messed up something this simple, Kaori would kill him ... assuming the Oni didn't.

"I want the power to help people," Ken started. "I want to protect people from things like this Demon before me, and if I don't win, then they will. So hell yes, I want to win!"

The creature was nearly within claw's reach. Ken held his pipe like a kendo stick, ready to die.

"Then I shall form a contract with you. You will give me your power, and I shall fight for you. Simply beckon me forth and reach out with your soul."

As soon as she spoke, her name was upon his tongue, burned into his mind and soul. This was Lindh, someone his mother had always spoken reverently of.

Contract?!?! With my Soul?

Time seemed to stand still and then he remembered his mother, how she smelt and felt when she hugged him warmly. The reaching into the depths of the soul part was surprisingly easy after that. He just had to want that senstation back more than anything else in the world. The Spark was lit, and the words came naturally to his lips.

"Lindh, I beckon you to come Forth!"

A Circle of Runes appeared before him, as he felt his energy leave him, between him and the oni. It stopped in its tracks as Lindh manifested for the first time in centuries.

She was a pale young woman, who looked about twenty three or so. She had shoulder length silver-white hair and eyes the same color. She wore brilliant silver aromr over a dark blue dress. Light guantlets adorned her arms and hands, each bearing ancient runic script. Perhaps most odd though were the small feathered wings extending from the sides of her head.

Her left hand bore a great bow unlike any ever seen. It seemed to be metalic, gleaming with gold silver and platinum highlights, yet it had a grain as wood does. Her eyes blazed brilliantly and became as golden coins against her pale skin. She drew taught her bow and an arrow of pure light took form. "Vanish from this world." The arrow flew straight through the creature which disintegrated around it as it passed through.

She lowered her bow and looked at Ken. "That was easy enough. I hope they're all that simple."

She looks at Ken carefully appraising him. "So you are to be my master and contractor eh?" She dows respectfully "What is your will Master?"

"What is my will?"

Ken was numb. The creature that was about to kill him was gone - just like that. Now this beautiful creature was standing before him and calling him Master. There was something else that pulled at his attention.

"Yes," Ken stepped pass her. He ran back down the alley way to were the body of the man lay. He had wanted to ask her if there was anything she could do for him. It was naseautingly obvious that there was nothing anyone could do.

With his adrenaline edging off, Ken began to shake. The pipe fell from his hands, his stomach was attempting a rebellion, and he felt as if all the energy had been drained out of him.

Ken turned and saw that she had followed him. He leaned up against the blood soaked wall.

"Who are you," he said wearily? "How did I know you, and how did you get to ... well, here?"

Lindh followed him to the body and jabbed her bow into it. "Be at peace." The body pulsed with white light then nothing.

"I am Lindh, Archer class Valkyrie and guardian spirit of the Sigurd family. I have slept in the locket around your neck, around generations of the family, sleeping, praying that I would always be allowed to continue." She looks around and sighs. "Sadly it couldn't be. Humanity always seems to need to tamper with things it should not."

She smiles. "I am here because you were in danger and if anything my duty is to protect this family. I asked and you responded, and we formed a contract. Now in exchange for your spiritual power I am yours to command for the most part."

She grabs his left arm and pulls the sleeve up. Five runes glow with azure light. "These runes show to whom you are contracted., and no one else can sever the bond until the contract has run its course."

That was a lot to take in. A Valkyrie ... whatever that was, it was obviously a Spirit of Light, but this seemed all to be a bit much to him. Then she tattooed him.

"A tattoo? You gave me a tattoo? What will my Dad think?"

"Umm, I don't mean to be ungrateful, but all of this is a whole lot to think on. Besides, you are dressed funny. You can't come home with me, not on the streets. Were are you - we going to go."

"Oh, and you're very pretty."

"He'll never see it. No normal human can. It is a mark to keep other things away from you. A warning label if you will."

I can dematerialize if you like, Master, but if something should attack you between here and home, you will not have the power to summon me again."

She nods once. It's been centuries since anyone said that to me, Master, thank you."

"I won't be able to summon you again? Is that forever or just for a little bit of time?"

Ken looks down.

"It doesn't make sense that I could only summon you once, so it must be when I get my wind back ..."

The schoolboy pushes himself off the wall. He offers a hand to Lindh.

"How about you walk me home so you can see a little bit of what the world has become?"

Archived