Changeling-Earth 2: Freehold Earth - The Hedge

Dawn OOC

"Oh, yes, that rings a bell," Percy said calmly. "I have seen one like that, thought it was on the ground and was missing parts." His long finger stabbed forward quickly, pointing at parts of the ship, including the engines. "Those are gone."

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Rumitalitalen went there, I did not," Percy said. "She has a mind of her own; I am merely a wanderer who follows her path. I could control her, but I don't like to do so. She's a friend, not a slave." He paused and glanced up at the ceiling. "You might be able to convince her to take you there, but that is between her and you."

"I speak, and she listens or not. Sometimes, she goes where I ask, sometimes, not." Percy shrugged, as if it didn't matter to him that his house could run around without his consent. "I can hold her still, by our contract. But little else."

• 2 weeks later...

Percy smiled easily. "I treat her like a woman, and sometimes, she does as I ask," he said with a grin. "Like marriage, but without nagging. Or the lovely cook." He sighed then shrugged as if being nearly married to a house was no big deal. "You are free to ask her, as well. Though... you did just burn her. You might want to wait a couple of days."

"When something like a house comes charging at you with no warning it was kind of natural to assume that we were under attack. Given the information we had I'd still do the same. However, having gotten to know you we do regret the suffering we have caused her."

Billy didn't really need to think about it, but he paused anyway, "Unfortunately, I don't think we really have a few days to wait around on the off chance that she might help us. Come the morning and, if necessay, the conclusion of our business, we'll continue on our way as best we can."

He looks around the others in the party, "Unless there are any serious objections?"

"Well, Sir Percy I will bend my will and considerable talents to seeing that she makes a full and speedy recovery. That reminds me, I wish to take another look at her wounds. I want to see how my ... triage has worked out."

He reaches down and taps the floor lovingly,

"I'm coming to look at you House. You'll be fine."

As he stands up,

"Thank you for your hospitality, Sir Percy. I shall return," and he walked to the door and headed out into their small clearing in the Hedge.

Outside, he feels a strange sensation come over him. Something - the moment - feels just right. Khalid puts his hand on one of 'her' burned timbers and traces he lines in the wood. It reminds him of growth, and the begining of each living thing. Everyone has their spring, just like this part of House. He reached into that and felt something pull from deep within himself.

Click to reveal..

Contract of Eternal Spring ~ Warmth of the Blood

(12:52:05) ChatBot: (Adrian) rolls 9d10 and gets 2,3,10,2,2,2,10,10,6.

(12:52:22) ChatBot: (Adrian) rolls 3d10 and gets 3,8,9 = final total of 5 successes! Each success converts either one aggravated to lethal, or one lethal to bashing, or removes one bashing.

Follow up Medicine roll: (12:54:10) ChatBot: (Adrian) rolls 8d10 and gets 2,1,10,7,8,2,2,6

(12:54:47) ChatBot: (Adrian) rolls 1d10 and gets 7 = 2 successes.

He walked around in wonder at what he had wrought. It was the perfection of his Art. It was Magic.

Rumitalitalen shivered softly, then scooted toward Khalid. It was strange to watch each foot raise and lower delicately as the wall inched toward him. For such a large being, she was very conscious of where he was. When her walls were flush with his body, she lay carefully down.

He was being snuggled by a centipede-house.

Rochelle watched in disbelief...then had to cover her mouth to keep from emitting a somewhat disturbingly high-pitched laugh. When she'd recovered her composure she called to Khalid, "I think maybe you should be the one that asks her to help."

Khalid stroked the house with the calm, gentle touch he had learned in the children's ward. It was a peaceful place in his mind and he shared that with the house.

"I think she needs to rest," he says still running his hand along the boards and window sills. "We can ask her tomorrow."

The masked man - no man wasn't right anymore, he had obviously changed - the masked Changeling seemed somehow more fullfilled and at peace. It was as if he had redicovered his place in the world, even if it was an world as insane as this.

"Sounds good to me, lets all get some rest and we can sort things out again in the morning." says Billy to the assembled people. Having said that he fits actions to words and starts making sure that everyone has what items they need for a comfortable night.

Percy made them comfortable in his house. He made them dinner, a light lamb dish with fresh vegetables. Then he told them stories about his duels and adventures. He never talked about how he came to be this way.

Finally, as everyone was settling back from dinner, he asked, "What stories do you have to share with me?"

• 2 weeks later...

Khalid pushes the plate away from him and leans back tapping his tummie.

"Stories ... I'm afraid the stories of my life are all in the same refrain. I've had a golden opportunity drop into my lap, acted the role of wastrel and lost everything. Rinse and repeat."

He looks around, seeing no one else are ready yet to speak,

"Though there was this story concerning myself, two raven-haired, chocolate skinned beauties ... and their mother. It didn't end with a duel at dawn, though that was a close thing with him going for his gun closet while his women wailed."

"Anyway, there was this girl in a bar ... tavern, with almond eyes, dusky skin, and hair like the night sky. She saw me come into this waterhole and I could tell she wanted me," he grins laciviously, "for something."

"Well ..."

And he preceeded to regail them with his liaison with the three woman in a wealthy London townhouse ... and how the father came home at an inoppriatune moment.

Billy enjoys the masked man's stories, although he doubts them at times during the telling before finally concluding that perhaps it was true.

"Well, I can't compare with your subject matter Doc, but I could tell you about a 3 day trek we had across the Serengeti back on Earth hunting a group of poachers..."

The evening passed in story before Percy politely noted it was time for bed. He found places for all to sleep, using both his guest rooms and his own bed. He ended up on blankets on his own floor, refusing to take better accommodations and put out his guests.

Click to reveal..
If you guys want to do or say anything before morning, just let me know, otherwise, you proceed to being woken by the smell of food in the morning.

It felt odd to Billy to be sleeping indoors after his time with the Fae, but it helped him remember who he was when he woke up at dawn, as was his custom now. He simply lay there for a while letting the sounds and smells of the 'house' wash over him until he detected someone else moving around, and soon afterwards the first scents of breakfast being cooked.

Getting up he made himself presentable, packed his gear for the day then went through to see who was about.

Rochelle, curled up, took up a very small amount of space. She fell asleep on a padded pallet in the corner and was easy to miss. At the activity in the room she opened her eyes and uncoiled, stretching as she did so.

"Wuh? Breakfast? Did I miss the fight?"

From the 'kitchen', so called only because it had a fireplace and seemed to be where Percy kept his food, Percy's voice could be heard. He was singing in some unknown language which was as musical as the song itself.

Suddenly, the house lurched under them, and through the windows, the trees slid vertically. They were suddenly higher in the air, leaving them all blinking in surprise. Another movement began, a steady forward motion that stopped only when leaves pressed against the windows. After a moment, there was a snapping noise, followed by a long series of grinding sounds.

"Good morning," Percy said, bringing out a basket of hot bread and setting it on the table. "How was your rest?"

Billy goes and looks out a window, trying to gauge their direction of travel compared with the route they were trying to take yesterday.

Click to reveal..

Wits + Survival? 4 dice

(15:25:42) ChatBot: (Billy) rolls 4d10 and gets 6,3,4,3.

no sux

Turning back to Percy, he smiles as he says, "Yes, thank. It was the first night sleeping indoors for me in longer than I can remember. Might I ask where we are going, if you know that is?"

Rochelle looks around for a cup. On finding one she hurries over with it held in both hands, as large to her as a bowl would be to anyone else.

"I'd like some. I wish we had some way of repaying you though. Maybe if you come with us to the ship...?"

"Bramble-apple," Percy said, smiling. "Non-fermented. I'm saving its fermented cousin for dinner."

He poured drinks around, then settled back in his chair. "You invite me to your ship, and so I must ask, why? I am a traveler and a vagabond - ever has the open road been my home. Well, and Rumitalitalen, of course." He patted the wall behind his head with a fond smile.

Saffron didn't speak, but she leaned against Khalid, her fingers slipping into his.

Saffron's hand felt good in him. He soaked up her warmth and squeezed her fingers with his own.

"You are a traveler and so are we. Now that we have been stolen from our ship and away from our People, I guess that makes us vagabonds. We are kindred spirits."

"And if we are not," he smiles, "fate has put us on the same path, so why fight it?"

• 3 weeks later...

"Hmm," Percy said, wagging his strange eyebrows a moment before bending his head to his drink. "Fate does make strangers friends."

The house shifted suddenly, the slow, easy movements from before gone. Instead, they had a greater purpose, settling into a rhythm. "Rumitalitalen is moving. If you wish to influence her, you will need to do so now, or lose much ground."

"I'll give it a shot," the swarthy doctor says hopefully. Seeing as he is in uncharted territory, Khalid moves to the front of the house closest to the head, placing one hand upon the floor and the other upon the wall.

Click to reveal..

Man.+Empathy+(spending a willpower)3=8 dice (13:13:06) ChatBot: (Khalid) rolls 8d10 and gets 3,8,8,2,7,7,5,3=2 successes.

"Rumitalitalen, can you take us to the metal ship in a valley. It's a large ship with many bipeds around it, with shelters, and goods. Take us close, if you can, but do not enter the clearing for our people will not understand you and may become frightened and try to hurt you. We don't want that. Please be careful and please help us."

It was the best he could hope for on such short notice, but he hoped it would be enough. He had been truthful and about as descriptive as he could be considering how lost in the woods he had gotten the first time out ... and tied up, and sold into slavery. The house had to get it right. Rumitalitalen had to take them home before the Gentry closed in.

Percy just grinned at her and offered, "Jam and biscuits, my dear?" Any responses to that question were further non-answers. He seemed to enjoy not answering questions.

Gradually, the shadows grew long, and Rumitalitalen drifted to a stop. They rested for the night, and then the great house started again in the morning, needing no prompting from Khalid. Around the middle of the day she stopped and lowered herself, and the others realized they could see clear sunlight, not dappled tree shadows against the curtains.

"We're here," Percy said, standing and heading for the door...

Continued in The Manifest's Wreckage...

Archived