Exalted: Shards of Hope - Chapter 2:1 - Lament to Innocence

Dave ST

Delicately his foot disrupted the sparkling morning dew that had gathered upon the blades of emerald grass. Deftly and silently he swayed with the morning breeze, his torso in motion while his legs remained stationary.

He took one carefully planned step and swept his other leg about, the tips of his toes gliding carefully across the tips of each blade of grass. Calmly, with calculated precision his pushed his hands out from his chest and slowly exhaled.

Essence permeated the air and he could feel it in every muscle of his body. Every motion, every breath, every thought and the elements of eternity were his to call upon. Peleps Ahroun’s eyes were closed as he listed to the world around him; his calm, focused demeanor was in contrast with his usually happy go lucky outlook of tomfoolery and overactive libido.

In his meditative state he was quite literally one with the world around him. He moved like the morning breeze, graceful and fluid, performing every motion of the kata with flawless accuracy. The leaves rustled overhead adding their chords to the symphony of natural perfection the Prince of the Earth was conducting.

Leaves were pulled from the ground, called forth by a torrential wind caused by the spinning movements of his hands around the center of his chest. As he moved his hands the leaves swirled together, a perfect sphere forming there in a gravity-defying display of speed and grace. Like a sculptor, he continued to move his hands around the orb, keeping the momentum up as to not allow any to escape or fall astray.

Then there was silence; the orb of leaves dispersed suddenly on a parting gust of settling breezes and the martial artist lowered his palms to the earth, silently commanding the winds to once again be calm and quiet. All around him, the tall grass was swept in a spiral, flattened as if it had given way to a hurricane.

From where she stood, Mei Ying watched the kata in its entire splendor. Although it was not her intention to spy upon Peleps Ahroun, years of being raised by a Sidereal father figure had taught her to never interfere with a kata. Rysha had asked her to find him and inform him they’d returned from their trip to Heckran’s Ferry to say good-bye to Elsbeth.

He opened his eyes, allowing his senses to come into focus. “Something you need, ma Peche?”

Click to reveal..

Scene opens with Ahroun and Mei Ying, but feel free to add a post about what your character is doing or thinking as they prepare for the journey to find Sao Si.

Callum laid out his belongings, checking and double checking everything as he packed his pack up to travel. He reviewed his inventory of herbs last of all and frowned, there was much that he had run out of from his home, herbs and berries that he had not been able to find in this part of the world. Similarly there were new additions. Things he had tried or had heard of or in a few cases had been able to trade with other herbalists. He rolled his store up and placed it into the satchel he wore at his side. The girl is better off with her family. Even I can see that we solars had naught but blood in our future.

There was something, Mei-Ying thought, to living in harmony with the world and its elements. The power of the Unconquered Sun was celestial; perhaps more powerful in terms of brute force, but more disruptive to the natural order of things as well. Perhaps there was a lesson there. She would think on it.

Ahroun's question snapped her out of her momentary reverie and brought her back to the present.

"We're ready to go," she said simply. "Callum and Rysha are getting the last of their things together even now."

After a moment the sorceress added, "That was a remarkable kata."

"You flatter me," Peleps Ahroun took a modest bow. "It was basic at the very least. I haven't time to perform it in it's entirety, but your compliment is most welcome. I thought maybe it best to leave after nightfall, that gives us a couple more hours."

He pulled a large piece of cloth from off a rock and patted his brow and chest. His features, now that half of his clothing was removed, revealed a frame that was built for war. His Exaltation surely helped him make up for some lack of exercise, but for a rogue, fool who claimed to do more boozin and womanizing than the entire House Sesus put together, Peleps Ahroun was quite sturdily built.

He was being polite, kind, and well mannered, something that certainly put Mei Ying on her guard, considering that Peleps Ahroun had demonstrated that he had more sides that a dodecahedron.

"Care to join me," He offered, extending his hand to the clearing as he continued to walk closer to her. "I assume, being a student a Sao Si that your knowledge of the martial arts is par excellence?"

He leaned in, bracing himself against the tree, his arm just inches over Mei Ying shoulder. He was close, far closer than any respectable man needed to be to such a delicate woman like the Exalted sorceress. "Promise me you'll be gentle?"

To her credit, Mei-Ying's expression didn't so much as flicker as the handsome and charming Dragon-blooded warrior approached. But the pink stealing into her cheeks betrayed that self-control somewhat. Her heart and stomach fluttered madly. He was too close, but she couldn't step back without giving him a sense of control. She felt skewered by his eyes, but didn't want to be proven the weaker by dropping hers.

"I'm sorry to disappoint," she replied, her voice sounding to her own ears as if someone else was speaking. "He taught me to protect my life, but most of my studies were in books and scrolls. If you're looking for a sparring partner, I would recommend Rysha."

She couldn't help smiling at that thought.

"Or maybe not. She might forget it was just sparring."

"You're cute when you blush." Peleps Ahroun smiled broadly and stepped away. "You'll need more than a sling and Terrestrial Sorcery on your side. Have you learned anything more, ma Peche?"

He tossed the cloth over his shoulders wrapping about the back of his neck and he held both ends tight as it hung down. "Rysha is a fantastic swordswoman, which is why I pity her. She has yet to learn that where peerless mortal mastery of the blade ends, a novice Exatled begins. Perhaps I will spar with her."

He extended his hand out towards her in a friendly gesture. "I'm adept in several of the Immaculate Arts, and I sense the way this glade reacts to you. You hold a deep affinity for the element of wood. Come, let me show you a few things."

Click to reveal..

Mei Ying: Lore - Success!

"Several"?!? Very few Terrestrial Exalts every learn more than just the Five-Dragon Style, and usually never master it, at least not until several years go by. The Immaculate Arts are generally taught only to Immaculate Monks or those of high station with a personal tutor.

It was a soft sound, barely a breath in the air, but it was enougn to make both aware of Rysha's presence. She stood in silence, her head uncovered and the mark of the Dawn a simple circle of gold on her forehead, one hand resting on her hip above the hilt of her weapon and the other brushing wayward strands of her drak hair from her face. She gave Mei a simple nod, and Ahroun a formal, if not entirely friend, gesture of greeting between one warrior and another. "You make a beautiful kata, friend Ahroun. It is a well-done thing."

"You're too kind, Rysha." Peleps Ahroun smiled politely, and nodded. "I was just inviting Mei Ying to join me..."

The raven haired Prince looked to Mei once more and offered his still extended hand to her again. "Care to try?"

Mei-Ying looked at Rysha, then back at Ahroun.

I don't know a thing about martial arts though, she protested to herself inwardly. Sao Si had taught her some of weaponcraft...to throw, to swing a blade...but focused almost entirely on the demands of sorcery otherwise.

Then again, she couldn't count on having a knife in her hand all the time. And sorcery took time...time she wouldn't always have. And she'd always been rather fascinated by the precise movements of martial arts, even if she didn't think she'd necessarily be very good at them herself.

And if Peleps really HAD done as he said...which seemed dubious to her; the words of a braggart...but if he had, then he would have to be far older than he seemed, and considerably adept. Perhaps even equal to Sao-Si, in his own way. Only time and observation would tell if his words were more substantial than smoke.

She stepped forward and nodded.

"I'll try."

Rysha steps forward and slightly to the side, taking up a smooth ready position, leaving Mei neatly flanked between herself and Ahroun. She said nothing, but offered a simple half-bow to Ahroun and set herself to follow and guide her friend.

With his hands on his hips Ahroun lowered his head and chuckled, shaking it slowly from side to side. "You'll try?"

He looked to Rysha, a playful smile on his face. "Can you believe this girl? All the power of a god, and she says she'll try."

"we need to teach some self-confidence my Peche." He took her hand and led her into the clearing where the grass was still flattened from the previous martial display just moments before. "Mei Ying, willing is not enough, you must do; knowing is not enough, you must apply. There are no right or wrongs, simply listen and follow along."

And so it began. He rooted himself in place, like a tree and begun the simplest motions of the kata, coasting to and fro in a hypnotic dance like branches or a bough giving in to the afternoon winds. When he did move his feet, it was slow and calculated. Within moments Mei Ying was able to catch on and she followed along as best she could mimicking his movements with only minor difficulty.

Slowly Mei Ying succomed to the peace and the tranquility of the kata, the essence of the wood coursed through her and her Solar shard buried deep within her soul resonated dispersed the essence sending soft comforting jolts of power through her her entire body; and this was just the basics.

Peleps Ahroun stopped and quietly padded away to stand near Ryhsa. He grinned as Looked to Mei Ying, whose eyes were closed in both concentration and silent contemplation, and folded his arms. "Let the spirit out - Discard all thoughts of reward, all hopes of praise and fears of blame, all awareness of one's bodily self. And, finally closing the avenues of sense perception, let the spirit out, as it will."

The two simply watched as the young Sorceress seemed to be unburdened by the myriad of thoughts that generally plagued her. She was at peace, with her mind clear and her thoughts in order.

Click to reveal..

Dexterity: Success

Although not possessing the Martial Arts ability, Mei Ying has learned to quiet her thoughts and feel the harmony of the essence all around her. If she chooses, Peleps Ahroun will qualify as a Sifu after she has gained some skill in the martial arts.

• 3 weeks later...

A few hours later...

The light of the Unconquered Sun slowly dipped beneath the horizon, blanketing the sky in lovely hues of orange, purple and deep red.

Peleps Ahroun, Rysha and Mei had returned and all the Exalts had begun to discuss their plans for making the trek west to find Mei's mentor, Sao Si.

"Arranging transport for all of us would be difficult," Peleps Ahroun explained over a dinner of steamed vegetables and fresh fish. "While I have the means to do so, I just don't think it would keep us out of the public eye as much as we'd like to be. My methods tend to... flashy." He amended with a rogues grin.

"The Wyld Hunt comes from the west. They know we're here, and are closing." Ledaal Sovanya added to the discussion. "We've only days before they arrive."

"West is out." Ledaal Akryruh, added.

"Then we go north along the Sandy River, then follow it west until we reach Nexus."

"They'll expect that." Akryruh debated.

"We've no choice," Spoke the rogue. "They're nearly a Talon strong, with five Exalts among their number, experienced Exalts and sorcerers. Our best option is to avoid them as much as possible."

Ledaal Sovanya stood up. "We've discussed it, my brother and I will lead them away while the rest of you make for the north. Once we've led them far enough away from the main group, and Mei, we'll meet you in Nexus."

"Sounds good." Ahroun quickly agreed, not offering an argument in the slightest. "Watch out for the Karala, and we wish you the best of luck."

Mei Ying felt the sun on her hair and skin, even through the clothes she wore. The gentle caress of the breeze. The strength of the earth beneath her feet. Dimly she realized that what she felt was probably not what Peleps did. She was Chosen of a different god, and had no special relationship with the elements. But the kata wasn't about elemental affinity. It was about focus, and perception, and the clearing of the mind. It was about harmony and awareness.

It was breathtaking.

With her thoughts stilled by the focus on movement, Mei Ying felt as if a thin cloth had been removed from her eyes. That what she'd believed she understood had only been a half-glimpsed version of the truth. When the weight of memory and planning fell away she swam in the eternal Now as a dolphin might in the sea. Not trying to filter what she felt or judge or categorize...simply experiencing it.

And suddenly something exploded into her, not from her mind or senses but from something buried deeply inside her. A bone-white needle of marble that rose into the air, seen from above and in the distance, but coming closer at unthinkable speed. The tower thickened towards the base, but not by much. There were more buildings around the bottom too...more conventional looking, made of stone and wood, a town. All this upon a broad, shallow hilltop, with a wall around it.

There was at the top a study, Mei Ying realized. In the study was a woman. Proud and beautiful and powerful. She had made this place. She ruled it. She'd made it great.

Then the skies yellowed and the grass burned to char, and the trees became upright cinders. The brook and pond dried up and the clay sizzled and cracked. The tower was broken, and Mei Ying felt as if it was her own spine. All fell to dust and ruin.

As suddenly and unexpectedly as it had come, the vision passed, leaving her clenched where she stood in mid-kata, eyes wide and breathing hard. Even in her shock, she breathed out a single word without thinking.

"Whitespire..."

-----

Hours later she listened to the Ledaal's plan with a frown.

"If that's your decision, I won't try to change your minds. I'm not sure I think it's the wisest plan, but...I admit, I don't have any better ideas, and we're out of time to think of more."

She steps forward and gives them a bow. Hu, by now experienced at riding her shoulder, bent backwards and flapped his wings to stay aboard.

"Thank you both. Be careful, and meet us soon. Where shall we meet in Nexus?"

Archived