Aberrant: In the Beginning - Prelude: Æon- Breath on the Waters

Titan

Michael entered into the chamber, flanked my Mr. Black on his left and Dr. Arthur Simkins on his right. He stopped once the crowd in the large room became visible. A crowd that included delagates from many countries, a young woman with leathery skin, a naked man in a corner that another group was fretting over, a huge fat man, some black guy in a leopard print robe, and a huge blond man who looked like he escaped from the WWF, along with some people who looked like they had just wandered in off the street. Something about the Vietnamese group drew his attentention... one of the delagtes was holding the same case he had seen at the Chinese embassy in Vietnam... probably surveilance equipment or sume-such, that delegate was most likely a double-agent. He'd mention it to someone once he met the people in charge here.

Are you kidding me? He thought This place looks like visiting day at a madhouse!

He whispered to Dr. Simkins "Should I introduce myself or something?"

"I dont believe so. This is more of an informal gathering."

Michael nodded and moved towards the luncheon table... a corner of which was burnt, along with its contents. Trying to ignore this, he took a can of soda and poured it into a glass. He noticed that the leather-skinned girl was talking in angry whispers at an older man. As he watched, the consistancy of her skin changed... seemed to smooth out into normal skin.

Extrordinary! Someone... like me, I guess.

He moved across the room towards her. As he grew closer, he said:

"Excuse me, young lady..."

((OOC Physical description: Michael Peters is tall, around 6'2". dark brown eyes, silver hair, chisled jaw, maybe in his late 40's. His eyes are kind and his mouth is quick to smile. He is in excellent physical shape and is a very attractive man (APP : 5). He is currently wearing a black buttonup shirt with the Æon logo on the breast pocket, dark blue jeans and odd asian looking slippers with no socks.))

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[Note: Fang is still speaking in a mixture of Chinese and English. < > indicates when she's speaking in Chinese.]

"No," Fang said in English - that was an easy word to pick up. "<Whatever you need to tell me can be said in front of the> New People."

Meanwhile, Fang's mind is still working, still seeing the flower blooms open. There was no way China could already have a powerful New Person as a weapon, unless they had become before the blue energy wave. Which was slim but valid possiblity. However, had they had a living weapon, they would have already moved with it, instead of waiting for others to develop the same. They still were struggling to gather the resources that were New People.

But if she was wrong, if Typhoon Man wasn't a man, than what was he? Kun provided the last detail: Wizard... Mandarin... Dragon...

W.M.D.

"It's a weapon, isn't it?" Fang said, her voice soft but loud enough to carry. "They <are going to bomb> London, to stop Aeon, to stop us. <You've pulled people from all over the globe, and if they> can kill these New People, China has the <lion's share of this new world.>" Her fingers caught Kun's arm. "How much time? How much?"

(In keeping with Fang's posts, <> indicates Chinese is spoken...)

"<You don't know. It's imperative that no one know that the threat comes from China.>" Kun's Chinese is rushed, she is frantic with worry. "<It could start a Nuclear War. 'He who summons the Typhoon'...> Stormbringer...<is not a missile. It is small, designed to be carried in a backpack, or even a large purse. It could be on its way, or here now. It could be detonated remotely, with a cellular phone, or be on a timer. I don't know how long. It could detonate before I finish this sentance, or it may arrive here an hour from now. I don't know! We must leave. NO ONE must know this comes from China. War with China serves NO ONE's interests. Now, hurry, we must leave...>"

Kun tries to push Fang to the door.

King takes a step back as Kun comes rushing back up to the group. He also takes notice of a another lady that has approached the small group. Before he can speak, Fang adresses Kun in chinese. When she metions the word weapon King begins to worry. "Weapons! Oh boy we got problems now" he thinks.

Kun says something back and before he knows is trying to push Fang out the door.

King attempts to block Kun from leaving. "Whoa hold on their Kun! Where do you think your going? Tell me what the heck is going on!"

"Are you crazy?" Juno demands of Hector. "That girl was saying she was going to kill everyone! She WANTED to! And she was on FIRE! Who knows what other psychos they have running around here..."

From behind there was an incongruously polite voice.

Juno whirled around, eyes flashing with anger.

"What is it?!"

On seeing him though, the anger winked out, replaced by startlement.

Holy shit, he's gorgeous...is he a movie star?

Her next question was considerably more civil.

"Who are you?"

Michael smiled at the young woman and held out his hand.

"My name is Michael Peters. I'm here for the same reason you are I guess... something happened to us and now we're different."

After she tentatively shakes his hand, he looks at Hector.

"Nice to meet you too, sir."

He extends his hand to him as well.

"Different...I dunno," Juno says, trying to get his attention back as her dad shakes his hand. "I mean, there's different, and then there's -DIFFERENT-. Like you and me...still pretty normal, right? Then we have the magic flaming psycho girl. That's different."

"So...what did you do to get in here?"

Michael was taken back by the "flaming psycho" comment, but moved past, happy that she was talking to him.

"Well, to be honest, I'm not really sure. I was shot in an accident in my home, was sent to the hospital and well... it sounds crazy, but I woke up in Saigon... in Vietnam."

He shrugged, somewhat embarrased by the bizarre story.

"Also, I can do this." He held up his hand, palm down, and concentrated. Slowly, a pleasant golden glow began to shine from his skin. After a moment, the glow fades.

"Thats about it. I'm not a flaming phycho, I'm pleased to say."

Juno raises her eyebrows. Five minutes ago, that would have been more impressive.

"That's it?" she wants to know now. "You glow? Can you make it...like...a laser beam too? I mean, don't get me wrong, it's cool."

She shrugs.

"Cooler than me, anyway. I can't really do anything. I'm just here because a house fell on me."

"A laser beam? I... well, I dont know. I haven't really tried to do anything yet. I found out I can glow by accident."

Briefly, he considered experimenting... but quickly quashed that desire. There were far to many people around for him to start trying to fire energy out of his hands.

"A house you say? Please, tell me more."

Peter walked in as just as one storm had passed and another had begun. He had been able to get here with alacrity, but now he was lost as to what he was supposed to do next.

Excuse me, I need a detective? A psychic? Someone who can read between the lines?

He put the circular map case holding his painting down for a moment and re-examined the charcoal drawings he had. His suede brown jacket was making him feel warm ... or was it warm in here. His t-shirt was a pastel yellow and his jeans were worn. The rest of his luggage was waiting by the door.

There were three possibilities that opened up to him. There was an Oriental delegation sitting and looking somewhat agitated. There was two more asians together with an aggravated American too, and something about them seemed ... the painting!

The third group was the best dressed and held the most hope of being in charge ... if ther was anyone in charge here. The naked man looked familiar too, but in a curious way.

Though he toyed with the alternatives for what felt like a long time, only a second past in real time. Peter picked up the painting and walked over to the aggravated American and his two asian companions.

"Excuse me," Peter started,"for my interruption, but I need some help here."

He pulled out his charcoal painting of the Dragon over London and showed it to them.

"My name is Peter Bell. I can draw the future and something bad is going to happen here and soon. Can you show me who is in charge?"

"Oh, and I've seen you," he looks at Katalyst, "and you," motioning with his head to Wei Fang, "before. You are in my painting",he rattles his map case.

Peter's delievery is surprisingly deadpan and calm, indicating this is somehow familiar. His wavy black hair and five o'clock shady enhance his near-flawless features (App.5), and his confidence gives some ... hope? ... that he's not insane.

More and more delegations, doctors, and bewildered people with strange powers have been arriving. The vast entry hall is just about full, without being crammed. A woman comes down the stairs, and stops halfway to the bottom. She announces,

"May I have your attention, please? Ladies and Gentlemen, your attention? Thank you for your patience. My name is Phillipa Lavielle, and I am the Director of the Æon Society. We are pleased to be able to offer this facility for use by the World Health Organization. Without any further ado, I would like Dr. Henri Mazarin to come up and say a few words of welcome. Dr. Mazarin?"

Dr. Mazarin begins making his way through the crowd. As he does, he shakes more than a few hands, and makes comments to those he recognizes.

Fahrenheit, Juno, and Michael: Director Lavielle is on your staircase.

Katalyst, Wei Fang, Nathan, Wraith, and Peter Bell: Kun attempts to push past King to the door, dragging Wei Fang behind her. She seems completely panicked. She does not reply to his question.

Wes: Portman breaks off further conversation to listen to Phillipa Lavielle. He continues to stand near you.

Fang wrenched her arm from Kun and looked from Peter to Kun, hoping that the other woman would translate. Quickly, Kun did, and Fang nodded. "New People," she said, nodding. Switching back to Chinese, she said to Kun, "<I will tell them. They deserve to know. But they will keep it secret; I believe that they will understand the need to avert war, both now and later."

"Peter Bell-gui," Fang said, bowing. "You see what comes. It is W.M.D. call Stormbringer. It small, very small." She indicated something the size of a purse.

She glanced at the shocked, angry Kun. "<China would destroy the New People from fear. They would destroy me. And I will not give them the safety of my words. Their own actions damn them in the eyes of this new race, and I will help pitch them into their own grave.>"

Michael was pleased that someone in authority had finally showed themselves.

"Please, Juno, excuse me for just one minute, I need to talk to Mrs. Lavielle."

He gives the young woman a warm smile before moving the up the steps towards the Æon director. He spoke in a rush, keeping the smile on his face for any watchers.

"Pleased to meet you Mrs. Lavielle I am Michael Peters, pleased to meet you, I must let you know that the Vietnamese delegate with the wide attache case, I saw that same case in the hands of the Chinese consulate in Vietnam, I think it carries some sort of surveilance equipment." He paused to take a breath "How are you this evening?"

Michael: Ms. Lavielle frowns slightly at your words. She glances towards the base of the opposite staircase, then motions for you to follow her. As Dr. Henri Mazarin takes her place, she walks down the stairs, past your new friends, and over to the knot of people at the opposing staircase. She approaches an older woman you haven't seen before.

"Margaret, this gentleman thinks that the Vietnamese delegation has brought some surveillance equipment in a briefcase? That they are in fact recording the meeting for the Chinese? I, personally, see no reason the Chinese should not have a recording of the luncheon, and ensuing speeches, after all, we invited them, did we not? But, I wanted to let you know. Here is the gentleman. Mr. Peterson, I believe?"

Peter, Wei Fang, Katalyst, Nathan, and Wraith are all close enough to overhear this.

Fang whirled like a dancer. "How big is 'briefcase?'" she demanded, staring at Ms. Lavielle and Michael. "<Where is this delegation?>"

Her mind was racing ahead, already considering what else this might mean. China was using Vietnam, because the Vietnamese government would never dare anything like this.

And underneath that, her anger was growing.

Caryn senses some panic in the room. She kept hearing something about a briefcase. Caryn begins to search the room... noticing everyone who is carrying any sort of case or purse. As she's searching... her eyes start to shutter a little, and she notices a gray blob. She shuts her eyes and shakes her head a little. Then squints as she focus's on one of the briefcases. It looks as if it's been inside an x ray: pens, cell phone, and a few other things that she doesn't recognize. Caryn looks down at the floor shaking her head again. "What the hell" she says out loud. She turns and looks at the men standing beside her, confused. Thinking maybe they noticed her strange behavior.

She continues to scan the room.....

Michael looks at Fang, his tension rising at the tone of her voice.

"Its this big" Holds his hands about 2 feet apart "and about this wide" Holds his hands about half a foot apart. "Its bigger than I thought it would be so I thought..." He notices Fangs eyes widening and her hands clenching "Whats going on? Its right over there." He pointed at the delegate carrying the case.

Fang turned as white as a sheet. For one moment, even her intellect gave out, her fear riding over everything else. "<We have to get that out of here!>" she cried, not even noticing that she'd reverted to Chinese. At the expressions of frustration around her, she tried again.

"Briefcase!" she snapped, pointing. "Get out! Away!" They were looking at her like she was mad. She made one last attempt to communicate before she did something stupid. "Bomb! Big bad bomb!"

Wraith: You see the electronics and the radiation-reflecting chamber of the fusion fuel. You see the depleted uranium core. This is a fusion bomb, a thermonuclear device.

Everyone:

Henri Mazarin was an excellent speaker. His speech began with praise for the Æon Society, and thanks to Phillipa Lavielle for the use of the facility. He talked about hope for the future, about all nations coming together under one roof to explore the future of the scientific frontier. He began to outline his two week conference, testing in the morning, training in the afternoon. Conferences among the leading-

He is drowned out by Wei Fang's exclamation.

Originally Posted By: Wei Fang
"Briefcase!" she snapped, pointing. "Get out! Away!" They were looking at her like she was mad. She made one last attempt to communicate before she did something stupid. "Bomb! Big bad bomb!"

Margaret Mercer steps forward, says:

"Here? It's here now?" Disbelief colored her face. She whirled and shouted across the room.

"SHELBY! SHELBY EISENFAUST! DAMMIT.. TITAN!"

The blond giant who had been drinking cocktails with an extremely fat man turned at her voice. She pointed at the Vietnamese Doctor. The man called Shelby stared intently at the briefcase for a second. His eyes widened, and he leaped forward and wrenched the case out of the doctor's hand.

He crouched, then sprang up into the air, crashing through the ceiling. The concussive force of his jump knocked people flying. The buffet tables overturned, and every window in the entry hall shattered. The front doors flew open.

Margaret pulled herself up. She turned to Maxine, and Nathan.

"Outside, quickly!"

She ran outside.

Looking up, those who followed her saw the man dwindle into the sky. They waited, breath held, barely hoping. After a few heartbeats, some started to relax.

For the second time in 24 hours, a great flash of light illuminated the sky. The ripple of white light was brighter than the noon sun, and everyone there shielded their eyes from its glare. Then it faded away. Unlike yesterday's explosion, no wave of blue energy crossed to the horizon.

Those near Mrs. Mercer heard her whisper.

"Dear God, Jack, what have we done?"

(for more on what happened, check out the Fiction Forum: Peace...)

Caryn watches as if everything is in slow motion. As soon as she realizes what exactly it is inside the briefcase, it's taken away by the man they called Titan.

She follows his trail, then she begins to run towards the exit.

As she makes her way to the front lawn, she tries to find him in the sky.

She notices a small dot moving further away, then all of the sudden he's as clear as if he was only a short distance from her. She blinks again, "What the..." she says as she focuses again on him.

Thoroughly confused by the brief hubbub in the foyer, Juno picks herself up from the concussion of Shelby's ascension and follows the others when they leave. She shields her eyes and looks up...then winces and looks away from the distant, silent bloom.

"All right," she announces. "What the HELL is going on here?! Who ARE you people?!"

Everything was moving fast and King found himself stuck in the middle of Kun and Fang. Then this painter dude, Peter he says his name is, shows up claiming he's seen him before, in some kind of painting he did. "Man this is starting to get weirder and weirder."

Then as the good Doctor is about to speak, Fang start's yelling for everyone to get out, that there's a bomb in some briefcase. Quickly looking around for the threat, King watches in stunned slience as somebody named Titan scoops a briefcase from another Asian man and takes off into the sky.

He follows the others as watches as the sky is lit up by the exploding bomb. "Fucking crist!" he whispers. Looking around the group Kings loudly says "What the hell is coming next?"

Sascha looked around less troubled but still confused. She smiled at Hector and gladly accepted the offered Jacket while she sat down on the stairs, visibly shaken and exhausted. Whatever just happened she could tell by the way the others looked at her that she was the cause of it.

Sascha looked at Cornelia and asked timidly in English,“What happened? I can’t remember…”

Cornelia smiled at her like a mother that would comfort her child. She was trying to find the right words and failed giving Sascha just an apprehensive smile. “It’s alright. We know it’s not your fault. We’re here to help you, Sascha. You’re special…”

Sascha wasn’t convinced but lacked the strength to ask again. She looked around the room and saw several people from all over the world starting to get into conversation which seemed rather agitated. She didn’t understand why they had brought her here and if this place was another Asylum it sure didn’t look like it.

She felt weak and tired both physically and mentally. “I want to sleep.”, was all she could say, her eyes felt sore and itched.

Suddenly the whole room shook and a man of huge size and blinding speed leapt through the roof and sped away. Everyone fell silent, as if holding ones breath would prevent something terrible to happen. After seconds of silence people started moving again and their faces spoke volumes of confusion and fear. This couldn’t be a hallucination Sascha thought. It was weird as anything she had dreamt before but most definitely nothing she had ever imagined before. “This is actually happening?”, Sascha asked to no one in particular.

"Sweet Mary, mother of God..." Michael whispered as the man called Titan scooped up the case, blew a hole in the celing and flew away at fantastic speeds. Moments later, a bright flash poured through every window and crack in the massive mansion, he had felt the building tremble faintly under a concussive wave.

Michael rushed outside and stood on the lawn, looking straight up, watching the ominous cloud dwindle in the sky. Hurriedly, he called back to the others:

"Can anyone see him? He... he might have been knocked away..."

Michael stopped, his words faltering in the face of the reality of the situation. That was a huge explosion, maybe nuclear, how could anyone survive that?

Nathan allowed himself to be pulled this way and that, the splitting headache having chased away all other thoughts. Eventually, however, the word Stormbringer found purchase.

Stormbringer... Stormbringer. Suitcase nuke. Yes. Remember a briefing on that, how small WMDs were getting. And Titan, or whatever his face was, tore it out of the hands of that -

"Man with the bomb," he mutters, wincing. "Where's the man with the bomb." He staggers free of Maxine's grip. "Got questions for the man with the bomb - "

Even though Peter is feeling a sense of relief, he doesn't take time off yet. So far this seems to be the only event he's been wrong about ... and he hopes he's been wrong ... but there is still much to do. He looks up at the cieling. Peter wonders if he's too late to capture the hero's likeness for those who will need the inspiration in the years to come.

Originally Posted By: Juno
"All right," she announces. "What the HELL is going on here?! Who ARE you people?!"

Peter looks at her and can feel some of her despair. He walks over dragging his case along.

"Hi," he says somewhat upbeat. "I'm Peter and yesterday I was a painter in New York City. In the past twenty four hours, I've been in a hospital, an ambulance that flipped over in traffic, nearly bled to death, and I've wrapped it all up by flying across the Atlantic just so I could witness a nuclear explosion, and the man who saved us all from being killed in our infancy."

"I don't know what's going on, but I think its worth our while to figure out what it is ... and why some people already want us dead. I don't know about you, but I can't run away from what I've become. I can see things that haven't yet and I paint them or draw them."

"You may not know what you do you, but wouldn't you like to know?"

Peter looks past Juno to Hector.

"You have people to protect too. People that need you, so don't freak out now."

He looks back up t the hole in the ceiling.

"Let's hope we are not already down one of us. I don't see there being so many of us that any one of us doesn't matter."

"No," Juno denies, shaking her head. "No no no, I am completely going to freak out now! I just watched a huge bomb that used to be TEN FEET AWAY go off like a nuke, and a second ago we were almost roasted alive by an insane flaming bitch so I think this is a GREAT time to freak out! In fact, I really don't think there could possibly be a better time!"

She backs up into Hector and latches onto his arm.

"Either someone starts giving up some answers, or...or I'm...or we're walking. I don't know, or care, about super powers, or any of that. I came here for -medical testing-. Not to explode!"

"Answer is fear," Fang said softly, scanning the night sky with light-racked eyes. "You New People, and they fear." She paused to look down at the young girl. She glanced around at the New People and the old people, gathered around. They were all opening flowers, budding into a hundred different futures. She saw some of them die sometimes, and some thrive, and she suddenly knew that she would save as many as possible. That was her blossom, her opening flower.

"We find Shelby; he hurt," she said, refusing to give up the hope that he might live. "Then we plan. Plan for next time."

Sascha moved slowly and visibly weakened towards the assembled people. She wasn't sure what to say and where all these people came from, but obviously there was a reason to why they were here.

"I'm not the only one who saw that big blonde man jump through the roof?", Sascha tried to accentuate her english properly. She half smiled and almost stumbled like she would fall any second if she didn't find anything to support herself with.

"You don't look like you belong to an Asylum...", she stated half to herself. It was strange watching her speak as she never really adressed someone directly or looked them in the eyes. Her whole posture looked like someone who was too afraid to ask the wrong questions or any question at all.

Michael looked back at the others, most still looking at the hole in the celing, some at each other, their faces filled with astonishment, fear, loss. Some were crying softly, just now realising how close they came to death. No one was looking at him, his brief cry lost. Those that had glanced at him, averted his eyes. Michael began to mutter under his breath, pacing slowly.

"Damn damn damn damn..." He looked up at the dissapating cloud "More than ten thousand feet up... if he was blown up then he might still be falling... we have to be able to do something... damn damn damn damn..."

Unknown to him, he was starting to glow, every inch of exposed skin shining the deep gold of candlelight. His headache, supressed by the medicine the doctor had given him, roared back to life. He stumbled, mid-pace, and felt something... like a snap behind his eyes. Everything was clearer... he could hear the mutters from the crowd like he stood next to him, he knew that there were three birds on the edge of the roof behind him, he knew that an insect just settled on his left shoe... straightening, he looked into the sky. There must be something....

There.

Something falling.

Michael squinted, and he saw him. A blackened shape, dropping from the dispersing blast cloud, clear as day.

"There!" He shouted, breaking into a sprint across the grass "I see him!"

After four or five strides he lept into the air... and kept rising. The glow faded from his face and hands but grew around his shoulders, over his shirt, coalescing into two glowing shafts of gold light. They moved, slowly, like wings, as Michael rose off of the ground, picking up speed.

Michael was watching the man fall, not thinking at all about what was happening to him, what he was doing. His eyes focused on the charred figure. As he watched, the figure twisted in the air, dark flecks of blackened flesh tearing away at the velocity.

Faster Michael thought Faster!

The wings flexed, streached out to their maximum... then pounded down. Michael grimaced against the wind as he rocketed forward, picking up speed. His eyes never left his target.

This story will continue in the 'Michael Peters' thread...

Wraith: You stare at the sky, and suddenly you are looking into the sky. You see:

Originally Posted By: Michael Peters
A blackened shape, dropping from the dispersing blast cloud, clear as day...the figure twisted in the air, dark flecks of blackened flesh tearing away at the velocity.

You follow the figure until he passes behind the horizon, to the west.

Everyone inside: Dr. Mazarin shouts, "Everyone stay calm, please! Doctors, please check yourselves for wounds, and then see to those around you. Everyone please remain calm!"

Around the room, people pick themselves up from the floor. All the glass blew outward, so no one was cut.

Peter & Juno: Hector pats his daughter's arm, looking up at the hole in the ceiling. "I, too, want some answers, Juno. But, perhaps it is time to get Javier after all."

Sascha: Cornelia reassures you again that this is not an asylum, and tells you that she, too, saw the man fly through the ceiling.

"He is like you, Sascha. He is here to learn about his gifts as well. I don't know why he did that, but no one seems hurt. I'm sure there will be some... confusion and fear, as we learn more about these new things, but I am not afraid. Not of him, and certainly not of you."

Nathan: Maxine Mercer points out the Vietnamese Director of Disease Control Authority. His face is white, and he stares at the hole in the ceiling for a moment, before whirling and dashing outside. If followed, he can be found standing in the circular drive staring up at the sky like everyone else.

Everyone outside: You see a 50ish man run and leap into the air, following the now-visible streak of light across the sky. A second later, another man, with red hair and pale skin, leaps into the sky after him. Everyone stands in relative silence, and watches the falling star as it passes over the horizon to the west.

Wei Fang & Katalyst: Margaret Mercer speaks without taking her eyes off of the sky, "We will find him, you can be sure. As for why this has happened, all I can say is that yesterday changed everything. There are people all over the globe, and governments too, who will already be thinking of how to prosper from the new order of the world. In fact..."

She turns, finally, from the sky to look at Wei Fang.

"I don't think this was aimed at the New People in general, Fang. I think this was directed at you, specifically. We will, I hope, talk more on this. I have some calls to make, some people to help calm. Excuse me."

She is the first to walk back inside. She does so briskly, as someone with a purposeful task ahead.

"I don't think this was aimed at the New People in general, Fang. I think this was directed at you, specifically. We will, I hope, talk more on this. I have some calls to make, some people to help calm. Excuse me."

Fang couldn't have been more surprised than if Margaret had punched her. Not every word was clear, but the gist was clear. Going through all that effort... for me?

After a moment, it made sense. She'd escaped, and could be a symbol for further escape. Further, she knew their plans. She could expose them, and to their minds, she'd betrayed them. Add in a chance to hurt the Vietmenese, and it had to be an opporunity too great to pass up.

King shakes his head after watching another person just take off into the air. Looking around he see's that no one appears hurt. Everything that had happened in the last few moments had put a new spin on everything. King knew that his life was going to be forever changed from this, and hearing Margaret telling Fang that she was the target of this attack shocks his as well.

He turns to Fang and gently places his hand on her sholder, where her eyes meet his. "Fang, everything is going to alright. I'm not sure what my superious are gonna think, but I'm not about to let something happen to you!" Inside his head he can hear himself screaming "What are you thinking? You don't know her from Jack, and your telling her you want to keep her safe. You sure about that?"

Reality comes crashing in on him now. He doesn't know anyone here and the young lady he tried to help is yelling at him. She's asking for answers he doesn't have.

"Sorry. I can't help you. I don't know what's going on either."

Peter gathers up his stuff and walks away from the Father and his Daughter. He stops a few feet away and looks back. He pulls out his sketch board and furiously begins to sketch a portait of the two.

Lost in the Moment it reads at the bottom.

Beyond that, his gift seems to have deserted him. Nothing keys another vision of future events. For the first time in twenty-four hours he feels ... alone, absent and empty.

He moves back toward the entrance of the house and stands by his luggage. Its not much but it serves as an anchor point in the chaos. Without visions, Peter is without direction. He waits.

He's touching me. Fang had heard that Americans were extremely physical; her experiences were holding true as the man she'd met tonight put his hand on her. She stiffened slightly, blushing and looking down, embarrassed by the public intimancy.

Then her mind took over again. She had work to do that couldn't wait on her to be caught in the grip of social mores. Fang smiled at Jay, nodding at his statement. "Thank you," she said, before surveying the group. Yes, it was definitely time to act.

One by one, she moved to the New People, gathering them up. "Come," she said to each, "we need talk." Seeing the man who could control chaos heading toward the Vietenmese delegate, Fang began to pull the others that way. Answers, she sensed, were best gained from the horse's mouth - though in this case, it wasn't a horse so much as a bomb-mule.

Archived