Aberrant: In the Beginning - Prelude: Æon- Breath on the Waters

Titan

Whatever name you know it by... WHO testing facility, Omega Directive Complex, Someplace you appeared out of thin air. However you got here...

You are here.

The grounds are massive, covering hundreds of acres. There is a forest preserve, pasture for livestock, a golfing course and tennis courts. There are horses, cows, and sheep. The grounds are walled, entrance only through gates under constant surveillance.

Set apart from the main house is a compound which includes a huge gymnasium, large dormitories, a library almost as stocked as the main one in the house, and a state-of-the-art medical facility.

In the main house, the design is one of tasteful elegance. The staff is courteous, the food superb. A luncheon buffet is being served in the entrance hall. The house is open to visitors. There are many people here already, chatting and munching on shrimp cocktail. Still, there are doors that will not open to the casual visitor, and the stairs to the upper floors are tactfully blocked with velvet rope.

Welcome travellers, to Æon!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sascha couldn’t believe her eyes. Even if this would just be another Asylum at least it looked like someone must’ve cared for her. Clutching the pills in her hands she evaluated if she should keep them for later use or discard them right away. She put on a polite smile which was rather weak and tears welled up in her eyes. This must be another dream… another hallucination. It can’t be real.

Treading carefully as if the ground could give away any second Sascha slowly approached the impressive building. She looked around the beautifully organised landscape, the perfectly mowed lawn and felt the warm and soothing rays of the sun on her skin. When was the last time she had this freedom? Even in her most vivid dreams she couldn’t summon such a wonderful place.

Looking at Cornelia Sascha had questions in her eyes she didn’t dare to ask. She was afraid that this illusion could burst like a bubble if she asked the wrong questions. If this was a dream she wanted it to last as long as possible. Who knew when she would get another chance to have some piece of mind? Her head still ached but compared to all the pain she has suffered it was tolerable.

Taking a deep breath of fresh and clean air she entered the building through large doors. Once inside the building she ducked instantly unused of such tall ceilings and scanned the room for corners to hide. Sascha looked like an intimidated animal, her steps were short and carefully placed and her eyes moved quickly around constantly on the lookout for a baton or some other tool to hurt her. She didn’t realise the exceptionality of the situation or her peers, to her everyone looked suspicious and was possibly just another illusion. Maybe they had drugged her again or found another way to manipulate her mind. Yet there was hope and defiancy in her eyes. Whatever this place was, she wouldn’t go down without a fight.

(ooc: physical description of Sascha: She is of slim but athletic built probably enhanced through her eruption (about 1,70 m tall). Long black hair flows down her shoulders and covers parts of her face. Her posture is slightly ducked as if she is used to get beaten a lot. Yet her face, should you get the chance to see it is of an innocent beauty with fiery hazel eyes (App. 5). Her skin is unusual pale. Right now she is dressed in a T-Shirt and some blue jeans which don’t seem to be hers.)

Keeping a rather calm face King listened closely to Dr. Go as he answered Kings earlier questions, and he recognizes the name Aeon when the good doctor brings it up. “Wow this is big time now. Those Aeon guys are supposed to some of the most important people in the world, can’t see what they would want with little ole me?” “And I'm in no danger from any radiation, your sure about that?” he asks again. Dr. Go a bit perturbed by the question assures his that is just the case. “Sounds almost to good to be true” he thinks.

As the converstaion with Dr. Go finishes they pull up to the WHO compound. Its huge size dominates their view and to King it is a rather pleasant site to see considering the living conditions he has been living in for the last few months. “Guess he was right, this is some place!”

King makes a mental note of the few other vehicle’s that are already outside of the grounds. If what Go said was true, it stood to reason that he wasn’t the first one there nor would he be the last. “This should be a very interesting meeting.” “Well good Doc let’s get this show on the road!” he bursts out as he makes his way inside the main building.

(OOC) Just to add a bit of flavor the pic below is a real pic of myself which I'm basing Katalyst off of.

tballz.JPG

Fang stood in her room on a green rug half-a-world away from home, startled by the opulance of the house. The People's Republic of China may have been wrong about some things, but they were right about wallowing granduer of the West. Shaking her head, she walked into the house with Kun. Kun, notably, seemed less taken aback by what was here.

"I want to look around," she said in Chinese. "Is that permitted?"

Juno had never felt so out of place as she did climbing up the steps lined with plants and pillars and slipping through the double doors when the guy they'd sent after her opened them. Inside was a foyer, in which her guide offered to take her jacket. She declined...the windbreaker wasn't much, but she felt a bit less exposed in it.

It looked very much like what she'd always though a convention would look inside. Tables with various foods...that was the luncheon part, she guessed. Lots of people, and all of them were adults. Most of them in nice clothes. Here she was...a teenager with a mop of black hair, in a T shirt and jeans a windbreaker with that logo on it...looking like some punk that was crashing the party rather someone invited to be there.

That last thought awoke her defiant streak though. Well, they HAD invited her. They'd asked her to come, and she came, and now they could just deal with it.

With a purposeful stride, Juno went to a table crowded with baked goods, grabbed a heel of bread, and stuffed it into her mouth...daring people with her eyes to come and tell her to stop.

Cornelia smiled at Sascha reassuringly. She motioned her over to the buffet, and took a plate herself.

"Are you hungry?" she asked. Then, more quietly, "It always gives me something to do with my hands."

She scanned the crowd, then looked at Sascha agan.

"Not many people here, yet. Still, there is the fireman guy from TV...and see that man? He's my boss, Dr. Mazarin. Brilliant. Director of the WHO's Response and Intervention division at 29, and now..." She looked quickly at Sascha, laughed and blushed.

She said, "But I'm gushing..."

King opened the door on a huge entrance hall. In the hall were about 20 people. Some were chatting together, like the two beautiful women at the buffet. Some were looking at variously interesting paintings and photographs on the walls. At one end, in the archway leading to a large sitting room, a man was holding forth to a knot of men, and one woman. He was very animated, using his hands to make his points. He spied them, and broke off in mid sentance.

"Excuse me gentlemen." He walked towards King, and the just entering Dr. Yuji Go.

"Welcome, sir, welcome!" He grasped King by the shoulders, squeezed once, and dropped his hands. He looked expectantly at Dr. Go.

"Sergeant King, may I present Dr. Henri Mazarin. Dr. Mazarin, Sergeant Jay King."

"Joe King, you said?" Dr. Mazarin had a twinkle in his eye, and winked at King.

Go repeated the name, careful to enunciate. "JAY King, sir."

"Ah, then I must be," said Mazarin seriously, "joking, that is." He grinned at King.

"Are you hungry, Jay?" he asked suddenly, "Æon has put quite a spread on for us..."

Before Kun could answer, there was a tap at the door. Kun's eyes widened slightly. She spoke in a steady voice, however. Her words were English.

"Enter."

The door opened, and behind the man who stood in the door frame, Fang could see a small yard and a concrete walkway. The man was black, around 70 years of age, and wore an expensive suit. He did not enter, but looked at her a long moment.

"I give you greetings. My name is Hunapu Karere. I am here to show you Æon. To take you, as you wish, to the house for luncheon."

Kun nodded, and gathered herself to leave.

Juno saw two women talking a few feet from her. One of them only looked a few years older than she did. They were talking some language that she didn't speak, maybe German. Some man went and practically hugged a soldier who came in behind her. Everyone had someone to talk to. Life continued to be unfair.

A hand on her shoulder reminded her that she did have someone. She looked up into Hector's reproving face.

"Manners, Juno," he said softly. He took a plate from the stack, and used the tongs to scoop shrimp onto his plate. He missed with a couple. He glanced around, and kicked them under the tablecoth that draped to the floor. He glared at her.

(hahaha, I didn't know he was coming, sorry :))

"What, I didn't do anything" Juno points out defensively. "They're all like...Germans and scientists. What am I supposed to do? Go up and say, 'Hi, I'm Juno. I'm here because a house fell on me.' They'll think I was supposed to be at a wicked witch convention or something."

Wes still couldnt't beleieve that he was in London. After all he could only remember the bits and pieces of his "dream" of meeting "X" and then being buried alive. He still didn't want to believe everything the Doctor had told him. Although the evidence for the information was very compelling. After a few hours in front of the computer screen watching a fireman in NY and then meeting someone named Shelby who seemed to be able to do things only scene in comics he wasn't sure where he was, how he got there and what what to do next. This Mazarin guy seemed to be dealing with it all in stride and composure.Wes's anxiety had turned to an insatiable curiousity. Wes wasn't sure if "X" had been part of his finding his way to London but he was damn sure "X' wasn't part the concrete tomb he escaped from.

How the hell did I get out of there? Who are these people? It's like they were expecting me

It was something that would have to wait. Wes stood looking in mirror at his short parted brown hair and trim moustache. His green eyes stared back at him and he straightened the clean clothes he had back on. It was now time to head to the "event" that the Doctor had invited him to attend. Wes was glad there was food there because he was starving.

Well maybe I will get some information there was well...

Everything is happening so fast. It's all so surreal...

Those were the laast thoughts that Wes had as he pushed open the heavy double doors to the large banquet room. Some of the occupants turned to look but there was nothing special about him and they quickly turned back to each other.

So much for a quiet entrance. Well I guess I better turn on the charm and see who is worth talking to in this group.

Wes scanned the room and looked for a someone he though could use some company...

Originally Posted By: Titan
"I give you greetings. My name is Hunapu Karere. I am here to show you Æon. To take you, as you wish, to the house for luncheon."

Fang had never studied English; it had been something that she had planned to do someday, but her primary focus had been Russia. Her preliminary studies in her English book had progressed well, but she still didn't know it well enough to communicate.

However, something about what Karere was saying was clear to her. It wasn't that she understood it, but each word unfurled a touch more understanding. It was impossible; no one learned a language just by listening to it for a few moments. But Fang couldn't deny that she was starting to learn, especially when Kun turned to her and told her what he'd said.

Bowing, Fang said to him in Chinese, "Thank you, Hunapu Karere-gui." She was pretty sure Karere was his last name, but she was taking no chances. It was better to be overly polite than rude. "You are most kind. I would enjoy eating with you."

Kun repeated her words in English, and Fang broke them down in her mind, applied rules to them and reconstructed them. Language, she was learning, was like a building; it had parts, and when you knew those parts, you could assemble them flawlessly.

They crossed through quiet halls in silence, heading for the main part of the building. The three entered a hall filling with people, and Fang stopped, blinking. She hadn't expected so many people! And to judge by the food, they were expecting many more. Her heart sank a little as she glanced around the room. There were people from all over, but relatively few from the Far East.

Fortunately, there was a Japanese fellow right next to the door, and despite his staid demeanour, Fang drifted toward him. She might not be able to speak to the Westerns talking to him, but at least she would be able to talk to more than just Kun. Besides, if he translated his English to Japanese, it might help her build up her proficieny in English.

She stopped at the group, waited politely until acknowledged and then bowed. Speaking Japanese softly, as a woman should, she said, "Greetings, sir. I am Wei Fang, and it is a pleasure to met you." To his companions, she merely offered a bow and said, "Wei Fang" as an introduction.

Jay smiles at Mazarin's little joke. "So the good Doctor's got a sense of humor"King takes a look and says "You know Doc, I should go grap some food, it's beens hours since I last had anything, but for some reason I'm not hungry at all."

It's about that time when he notices the Asian women speaking Japanese. She introduces herself as Wei Fang. "Hello Ms. Fang, I'm Jay King" he politely says. "Pleased to met you." King notices that Wei looks to Go and asks him something in Japanese again. "Oh!" King thinks she must not be able to speak english, which seconds later Go confirms.

Cornelia smiled at Sascha reassuringly. She motioned her over to the buffet, and took a plate herself.

Sascha’s eyes wandered for a moment across the room but she never let Cornelia out of her sight. She heard Cornelia speak, trying to sympathize with her.

"Are you hungry?" she asked. Then, more quietly, "It always gives me something to do with my hands."

Sascha looked at her as if she didn’t understand, then she answered in a low voice. “I don’t know if it is my time for lunch…”

Her question was innocent and disturbing at the same time but Sascha seemed to be absolutely honest about it.

She scanned the crowd, then looked at Sascha agan.

"Not many people here, yet. Still, there is the fireman guy from TV...and see that man? He's my boss, Dr. Mazarin. Brilliant. Director of the WHO's Response and Intervention division at 29, and now..." She looked quickly at Sascha, laughed and blushed.

She said, "But I'm gushing..."

Stepping a little closer to Cornelia she asked, “Can… can you tell the Doctor that Doctor Silberman was wrong… and that whatever happened… it… it… wasn’t me. Please don’t punish me. Not today… please.”

Sascha looked hopefully at Cornelia her eyes slightly watery with tears. She comforted herself crossing her arms and holding her shoulders suppressing little sobs.

Fang listened closely to the introductions, surprised that she understood Jay King. Screwing up her courage, she bowed and replied, "Jay King-gui, I give you greetings." It was what Karere had said to her, in the room. It was a greeting. Pleased at her progress, she beamed at him.

Her pleasent voice sang like music in Jay's head, and her beaming smile also caught him a bit off guard as well. "Um, so Wei, may I call you that? What has brought you here today?" he asks trying to play it cool. "I'd be happy to escourt you around if that's not a problem?"

His next string of words drained away some of the smile. He asked her name again, for some reason, and asked why she was here. Then he asked to bodyguard her, which really startled her. Was it dangerous here? "English poor," she managed to say. "Wei Fang, my name."

Kun realized the problem and hurriedly explained what he'd said. Fang nodded, and said, "Kun, please tell him that he may call me Fang, and that I am here for the New People. And yes, accompaniment would be nice." She listened closely as Kun translated; another foundation of the house was built.

King saw her smile fade, as she struggled with her english. It seemed that he had confused her a bit. After a quick talk wtih Kun, and the insuing translation, King relaxed.

"Well then Ms. Fang, lets go and make our introductions to the rest of the crowd. I'm as curious as you are to see what everyone else is here for."

Fang nodded and fell into step with him, Kun trailing behind. She was staring around the room, and was surprised that she could see who people were. Not that she could see them, but that she could tell who they were. That man there, was a government agent. That woman, with the bright eyes and confident nature was a learned woman, possibly someone with high-level degrees. The teenager standing next to the older man, not only was she his daughter, but she was special. Somehow, Fang knew she was one of the New People.

She touched Jay on the arm to get his attention, then pointed at the girl. "That is..." She looked at Kun and asked for the translation of 'New People.' "She is New People."

Fahrenheit: Cornelia speaks softly and soothingly to Sascha, "You will not be punished. No one here knows of anything you have done. No one here knows your name, or anything about you. They only care to know how you can do the things that you can do. As for food, that is all over now. If you want to eat, you may. If you do not, do not. I know it is hard, and it will take time to get used to, but I will be with you as long as you wish, to help you. Are you hungry?" She seemed concerned.

Juno: Hector looked around the room. He shook his head. "They do seem like a bunch of stiffs, don't they? Don't worry, though. We're just here to find out if there is anything wrong with you. I mean, great that they have lunch... but this doesn't look like our kind of place, does it, Junie?"

Wes: Wes wass surprised to see the Fireman from the TV in a group listening to Dr. Mazarin, whom he had met earlier. When Mazarin left suddenly, to greet some people at the door, Portman looked around a little lost. He spied Wes looking at him, and nodded his head at him. He winced, and rubbed his head, then reached in a jacket pocket, and pulled out a pill bottle. He took one, and tossed it back.

Fang & King: Dr. Mazarin agreed with Jay's suggestion quickly. "Yes, let me introduce you around! But first, are you hungry? The food is excellent..."

Originally Posted By: Wei Fang

She touched Jay on the arm to get his attention, then pointed at the girl. "That is..." She looked at Kun and asked for the translation of 'New People.' "She is New People."

Her touch surprised him, though her statement surprised him even more. Following where she pointed at King saw the young looking girl. "She can't be more than 16 or 17 years old." Turning back to Fang with a dubious look on his face he says "That girl over there is one of the New People? How can you tell? She's only a child."

Fahrenheit: Cornelia speaks softly and soothingly to Sascha, "You will not be punished. No one here knows of anything you have done. No one here knows your name, or anything about you. They only care to know how you can do the things that you can do. As for food, that is all over now. If you want to eat, you may. If you do not, do not. I know it is hard, and it will take time to get used to, but I will be with you as long as you wish, to help you. Are you hungry?" She seemed concerned.

„But I didn’t do anything! I don’t even know what you’re talking about. I’m not falling for another of Dr. Silberman’s tricks, I’m sick of it!”, Sascha’s mood jumped like a fire and she was getting louder. Her anger rose and with it she felt an intensive heat rising from within her heart. Even if she was hungry, she didn’t care – she wanted to be free, she needed to be free…

Slowly her skin changed in tone, getting a deep crimson red and the air around her started to flare. Her hair moved as if she stood in a stream of hot air and the temperature around her increased drastically.

(ooc: She is about to bodymorph into fire – giving the STs and players a chance to make her stop)

Juno looked around again, sampling the atmosphere.

"I dunno," she temporizes. "It's just...the only one my age is that girl there and she's German or something."

Juno spies something a little odd. Asian girl staring at her over there. Now the guy next to her was too, and they were chattering away to one another. She couldn't really hear them from where she was though, even if they'd been speaking English.

She resisted the urge to flip them off.

"Dad, this is lame. Lets just grab some food and..."

Juno's voice trails off as the german girl changed bright red right in front of her eyes. She could feel a sudden heat, like standing in front of an open oven. There was no time to think...she had to act!

One step brought a pitcher of ice water within reach, and as she took it, she pushed her father away from the girl. In a single movement she grabbed the pitcher and swept it up off the table in an arc, sending a frigid gush of water towards the German girl.

It was only then she realized that, if this didn't work, she'd be standing right next to her...and there was no more time.

(hee...your call to decide if an ice water splash will stop her...don't worry if it doesn't, Juno can regenerate :))

The icey water splashed over Sascha like cold shower and for a moment it seemed that time stopped. Then Sascha turned her head to face Juno, her skin got an even deeper crimson shade and the water around her evaporated. Her wet T-Shirt dried within seconds as did her jeans. Furious anger and hatred radiated from Sascha’s eyes and then the heat intensified exponentially.

Suddenly she caught fire and her whole body was covered in flames. Her body changed visibly, growing taller and more athletic. It was hard to tell how the changes happened but the shape Sascha was had been replaced by an Avatar of fire. With clenched fists Fahrenheit turned around to face Juno. “How dare you...”, her voice was completely different to Sascha’s almost as if it burned itself fuelled by rage.

(ooc: Fahrenheits Immolate is aggravated, btw...)

As Fang is about to speak, a loud voice, with a accent that he realizes is german, suddenly rings out in the room. The slim black haired girl by the buffet table suddenly begins turning red.

Then in a flash the girl he and Wang were just talking about picks up a pitcher of water and throws it on the lady. "What the hell!" he thinks.

In an instant she bursts into searing flame. Quickly King steps front of Wang in a gallant effort to shield her from any oncoming danger. A "Holy Shit!" escapes from his lips, as the entire area around her catches on fire, and without realizing it a shield of engery encases his body.

"Stay back!" yells King to Kun and Fang"

ooc FF dice pool(1 dot + 5 Stam + 1 Mega)+ 4 auto success for Q2

(lol...then I guess I'm boned :))

Juno takes a step back, and despite the heat her blood runs cold. That was the trouble with acting fast. You got one shot. It was kind of ironic that she'd come here because she'd lived through a house falling on her...and now she was going to die here.

Even though she wanted to run, she didn't. Maybe if she stood her ground, other people could get away while Fire Girl was busy with her. That wasn't really why though. Really...under it all, she hated knuckling under. Bowing out, giving in. Especially to a bully. And that's what this felt like.

She's vaguely aware of the table bursting into flame, and the tiles on the floor starting to melt and peel, and the baked goods blackening into sugary little twists of carbon...but the heat doesn't seem that bad. She can't see her own skin starting to darken...but not because it's burning. It becomes thicker and slightly leathery as the outer layers burning trigger an adaptive response.

"How dare -I-?" Juno repeats angrily. "You're ON FIRE! You've got to stop or you'll kill everyone!"

(adaptation to a hot/firey environment)

The flames around Fahrenheit responded immediately to her anger, the fire around her intensified.

Originally Posted By: Lily

"How dare -I-?" Juno repeats angrily. "You're ON FIRE! You've got to stop or you'll kill everyone!"

“I know.”, she said with a disturbingly calm voice, “and those fit to survive shall live else they be burned to death.” (ooc: Fahrenheit speaks English and for the sake of continuity she spoke English, above, too.)

Fahrenheit slowly raised an arm and pointed it at Cornelia, “Tell them they will not get their hands on Sascha or you’re the first one to be sacrificed in flames.”

Wes headed over to the now famous "Fireman" as the news was labeling him. As he approached he quickly glanced at the vial of pills as Mr. Portman put it back in his pocket. Wes made out the first few letters of the vial but didn't get the whole thing.

"This little sware' giving you a headache already ?" Wes said charmingly.

Portman smiled and extended his hand, "Westley right? Nice to meet you. Our mutual friend Henry told me about you."

Wes smiled back and shook with a firm handshake.

Just as the two men changed pleasantries there was something that caught both their eyes. The two men released their grips and Portman instinctively headed towards the incident. Wes could hardly believe what he was seeing...

A woman...on fire?!!

wes watched in amazement as this woman was doused with a nearby water bucket. It didn't seem to matter as it only intensified her rage.

"Westley get over here and get this girl outt of here!" Portman shouted.

Portman had gotten close to the young girl who had thrown the water. Wes didn't even think he just reacted. He quickly moved at the commands he was given and before he knew it he was side by side with the young girl and Portman.

Ok. What the hell do I do now? This chick looks like she is going to shoot fire out her mouth. That's all fine for Mr. Fireman but what am I gonna do? I gotta get us out of here.

Ten Minutes Ago

Nathan turned off the blow-dryer, the last of the water from the shower drying off. He combed his hair, noting sadly how much of it stuck to the comb. I miss being twenty, he thought.

Putting such thoughts aside, he stepped into the closet, picking out a suit in his size. He tightened the tie, and wished, not for the first time, that he had a gun.

London didn't allow guns, of course, and he'd abide by their wishes - at least, until he could get around them. He hopefully wouldn't need one at this luncheon, but it'd be a room full of people who could do... well, God knows what. He'd feel much safer with a firearm. He still wasn't sure that there was anything to any of this, but just in case...

He walked down the hall towards the luncheon, stealing glances at the landscapes and portraits that lined the walls. He was ten feet away when he heard raised voices, and he opened the door to see a scene his mind couldn't quite process.

There was a woman on fire - no, made of fire - shouting at another woman whose skin seemed to literally crawl. There was a big guy in the middle of a shimmering field, and there was...

Randal Portman. The Fireman.

The last time he'd seen the Fireman, he'd been on TV. Nathan had been able to dismiss all of this as a hoax. But here it was, larger than life and impossible and real. He felt his head ache. And then he noticed that Portman was running towards the woman on fire, who seemed to be threatening the other. He reached into his coat -

And of course, no gun -

And he flashed on Portman, on that already-iconic image of the Fireman, sucking the fire out of a bus and putting it out -

And - and -

and he wanted to know

how to do what he did

how to do

what they did

Chaos and fire: the keys to destruction, and destruction was the engine of rebirth. Yet Fang saw no reason to allow this to happen. There is a way around this, to escape the disaster brewing.

She peered around Jay King's bulk - why were American's so big? - and saw the woman, saw her burn, saw her hold another hostage. She was speaking English, and Fang caught the gist of what she was saying, even though she wasn't concentrating on her words. And as her mind parsed what Fire Bloom was saying, another part of her mind was studying what Fire Bloom was doing.

It was all part of the whole. And right now, the flutters of power that were building around Fire Bloom were chaos. But under that chaos, Fang could see the pattern. It wasn't sight with her eyes, but with something else. And within that pattern, she could see the way to turn it off.

She toyed with the idea. She could turn off Fire Bloom. But she was afraid, and the moment passed. On the tails of that realization, bloomed pain. Fang gasped as something tore through her. She couldn't say where it came from, but it passed quickly.

The W.H.O luncheon the day after N Day would be talked about for many years, for many reasons. Doctors and government delegations from all over the world came to see and discuss the global phenomenon firsthand with some of those affected. That alone would be enough for a decade of stories.

As the hall slowly filled up with people from all over the world, everyone wondered when they were going to see some of the miracles they had seen on TV. The Ukrainian UnderSecretary of Health and Hygiene commented loudly, and more than once that it was a hoax. No one hushed him, though the Russian Chief of Emergency Measures Division muttered imprecations under his breath.

Just as many of the attendees were starting to second guess their decision to come...

A very young woman at the buffet suddenly burst into flame. She moved and spoke as living flame. Some moved to stop her, and at least one young man produced a shimmering field to protect himself. The most famous of the affected people, the Fireman from the U.S., also glowed with an anima of flickering flame. Those who came to study suddenly pressed back, away from the growing conflict.

When it seemed that the tension must spill into action... The woman of living flame flickered, then the flame went out, and the woman, now nude and made of flesh again, collapsed. She was caught by a nearby blonde woman, and assisted by an Hispanic man with the loan of a jacket. They moved her somewhere more private, and the room released a collective sigh.

The American Director of the Center for Communicable Diseases pulled out his cell phone and called Connecticut. The Israeli delegation spoke quietly, but intensly amongst themselves. The Vietnamese Assistant Secretary of Disease Control Authority slowly relaxed and brought down his attache' case, with which he had been protecting his body. The Russian Chief of EM was heard to call the Ukrainian Undersecretary a 'fat fool'.

Everyone started to relax. Crisis averted. Suddenly, a man in a suit near the stairs screamed. Every human being in the room jumped and looked. He clutched his head, and burst into flame. He disappeared, and reappeared instantly across the room. The flames went out, and he sprouted wings and his skin became armored like an armadillo's skin. He stumbled backwards, and the crowd scattered. Someone half-screamed. He collapsed against the doors, then fell forward as the doors opened.

A group of people came in the open doors. A woman in her mid sixties, escorted by a man younger than herself, and a woman even younger. They seemed to be grandmother, father, and daughter. They were accompanied by an enormous fat man, a short black man in an African robe, and a massive blonde man who stood almost seven feet tall.

As soon as they entered, the man returned to normal. He staggered, then regained his balance. The young woman took his arm and spoke to him quietly.

Nathan: The next thing you know, Maxine is whispering in your ear, "Deep breaths, in and out. You're ok, just relax. Come on, you're ok. Can you walk to a chair? Deep breaths, come on..."

Everyone Else: The older woman raises her voice, "Good afternoon, everyone. Please have patience. Some of our guests seem to have little control of their... gifts. Part of our study will be to help them get more control. We hope to discover, with all of your assistance, how exactly we are going to do that. We are still expecting a few delegations, and some of the affected subjects are still to arrive. Everyone, please, enjoy the food and company, and continue to have patience."

The crowd slowly starts to return to conversation, although everyone is looking at everyone else, wondering what could possibly be next...

"Ugh. Fuh. Wuh." Nathan takes the seat, feeling embarrassed. He looks over at the flaming remains of the suit he teleported out of, his head throbbing.

"Was a good suit JESUS AGH." He grits his teeth. "Back hurts. Feel hot. What's that - does someone have the radio on? I can hear a song..."

I don't care if it hurts

I want to have control

I want a perfect body

I want a perfect soul

"I don't - when - " He looks down at himself, and blinks. Those who've seen him before, or who noticed him as he entered the room, will notice how he's changed. He's dropped thirty pounds and ten years, and regained a full head of red hair and sharp green eyes. A small scar on his chin has disappeared.

You're so fucking special

I wish I was special

But I'm a creep

I'm a weirdo

"What the hell am I doing here? I don't belong here... uhg. S'gone." He props his head in his hands, elbows on the table in front of him. "She - ow - fire's out? She okaaaaarghhh...! She okay?"

[OOC Note: < > indicates Chinese when I'm too lazy to type that.]

At first, he'd caught her eye because of the red hair. She'd never seen hair with such vibrant color, and it was fascinating. Then, she'd seen him reborn into the New People. And not just reborn; he'd copied their chaos!

The revelation left her stunned and Fang was in motion before he'd finished sitting down. She moved so quickly that Kun was left surprised and flat footed.

Fang stopped next to his seat; her usual delicacy was gone as she stared intensely at him. "<How did you do that?>" she asked. "<How did you copy their chaos?>" That's when she realized she'd left Kun behind, when she had no translator.

He glanced up at her blankly, and Fang made a sound of frustration and wrinkled her nose. The expression was adorable, but her exasperation with her limited language was apparent. "How you... do?" she asked falteringly. "You see... I see... you do! I see alone."

She actually stomped her foot a little. "<How did you do that?>"

Maxine asked again if Nathan was ok. She nodded at her grandmother, who was approaching. Margaret leaned down, and looked at Nathan closely.

"You seem fine, but if you need a moment alone, just say the word."

She straightened, and turned to Wei Fang.

"Hello, I'm Margaret. You must be Wei Fang, from China. I was so glad to hear you decided to come. Hello to you too, Bai Kun, and thank you also for coming. I hope you will never regret your decision. Ah, that reminds me. Can you tell me what this says? I found it flashing on my screen earlier... does it mean anything?"

She pulls out a sheet of paper. Printed on it:

Originally Posted By: PrintScreen
潍坊

我祈求這到達你。你的豫言全都成為現實。電腦向我談話。迄今為止,他們有四,並且聽說過十二更多。注意,他們傳輸 ‘風的召集’ 對著千年人。我不再能說,他們來。..

Kun read the sheet, and looked at Fang. She was very pale, and her eyes widened until they seemed to roll in their sockets. Suddenly she whirled, thrusting the paper at Fang, and pulled her cell phone. As they stared at her, she barked into the phone,

"I need the Director. Tell him it is St. George. Authorization: Wizard...Mandarin...Dragon...one, one, seven, nine, three, Echo." She noticed them staring, and darted away to the exit.

“Fucking A!” Kings says. “This is by far the craziest shit I have ever seen.” “What the hell have I gotten myself into?”

Breathing a sigh of relief himself he turns to check on Fang, he see’s her moving off towards the formally winged man.

“Hey wait a sec,” he calls out in a concerned voice . “It might not be safe.”

Astonish by Fang's speed he hurries over and catches the last bit of converstaion with her and the lady.

"<They have them,>" Fang said, her hands shaking. In her efforts to flee, in her fear for herself, she didn't think of the other New People. But Kun was gone, and it was left to her to manage on her own.

"China take New People," Fang said brokenly. "China hold them." She held up four fingers. "More known." She flashed her eight fingers, then her left hand again to make twelve, while her thumbs pinched the paper to her palm. "<My brothers and sisters... I left them.> China send Typhoon Man against Aeon. We be... <attacked>." She mimed punching Margaret. "Maybe soon. <I will not be taken. I will not let you be taken.> Make ready!"

He could sense fear in Fang's voice and he saw the shaking of her hands.

He listened intenly as he tries to make out Fang's broken english. Fang wasn't making any sense to him. Some mess with China and New people was going down and it scared the heck outta of her. Fang implied some threat was coming and from what King new about China it wasn't a country to take lightly.

"Typhoon man? "Make ready for what?" is all that he could really make out from her. King seemed confused and wondered "Where the heck did Kun just take off to? I can't make heads or tails of this?"

Juno stared as the formerly flaming woman was carted off, numb in shock. What the hell did I just do?! Backtalk some crazy bitch who was -on fire-!

The numbness snapped when she thought of Hector. Her father hadn't been far...she whirled around in a sudden panic.

"Dad, go get Javier. We gotta get outta here."

Her skin was still dark, chocolate brown, and thick and leathery, though she didn't seem to notice it. Slowly, as she spoke, it started to return to its normal color and consistency.

Caryn entered the hall with the doctor from the WHO. This was a whirlwind experience for her. About 12 hours ago, she was shot in the face. Now, she was in London, at some lunch for freaks like herself. She looked around the room, but didn't see anyone being freaky. This looked like a crowd from all over the world, but she saw several Americans. Everyone seemed tense, like they were expecting something to happen. Caryn supposed she could understand why.

She started forward, to get some food, when a Chinese woman bumped into her from behind. Without excusing herself, the woman practically ran to the stairs, where Caryn was bemused to see a naked man sitting on a stair, and a cluster of people talking excitedly. Her detective training and instincts in high gear, she approached the knot of people around the naked man. Something was wrong.

Juno:

...she whirled around in a sudden panic.

She saw her dad at the foot of the left-hand staircase. That's where the German chicks had gone. He had given his jacket to the one who had burst into flame, and was assuring the blonde that it wasn't important, to please keep the jacket. She ran over and grabbed his arm.

"Dad, go get Javier. We gotta get outta here."

Her skin was still dark, chocolate brown, and thick and leathery, though she didn't seem to notice it. Slowly, as she spoke, it started to return to its normal color and consistency.

Hector turned to Juno, and placed his hands on her shoulders.

"Juno, be calm. No one was hurt. Do you think this doesn't scare me too? Of course it does. But, Javier is being cared for by two nurses down at the other compound. He is quite safe, I promise. Now, we came all the way here to find out what is wrong with you, and these others, and we aren't leaving without some answers. Let's wait until we hear what is said, then if you still want to leave, we'll go. Ok?"

Wes:

The danger was over so quickly, and you and Portman looked at each other with shaky smiles. He didn't realize that you were about to teleport him out with you. You didn't realize that he was going to try to absorb the young woman's fire. Both of you, however, assumed that you both were about to do something miraculous, and neither one of you is quite used to the idea.

"Close one, huh?" said Portman.

Fahrenheit:

Sascha sat at the foot of the left-hand staircase. She felt exhausted, but she realized that the danger had passed. Whatever the danger was, it was gone now. She was dressed in a jacket zipped up to her neck, long enough to be a sort of dress. Cornelia patted her hand sympathetically, as the Hispanic man assured them both of something in English.

Wei Fang, Nathan, Katalyst, Wraith:

Margaret and Maxine look up sharply, as Kun comes dashing back to the group. She puts her cell phone away in her pocket, and pauses just long enough to catch her breath. Margaret speaks in the pause.

"Wei Fang tells us that Typhoon Man is coming. Is this true? Who is he?"

Kun barks a bitter laugh.

"I only wish it was that simple. I need to speak to Wei Fang privately for just one moment, ma'am. Don't move, though, any of you, we'll be right back."

Archived