Aberrant: Phoenix Rising - Book 2: Chapter 2: Meddle

jameson (ST)

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ashley glances at Anna. "It's always been personal. Ever since they took me, it's been personal. You can agree or disagree or whatever you want, but what's done is done. Nothing's changed for me just because I'm a glow-stick now."

She pauses, then adds, "Except that now I may be on my own."

Ashley glances at Anna. "It's always been personal. Ever since they took me, it's been personal. You can agree or disagree or whatever you want, but what's done is done. Nothing's changed for me just because I'm a glow-stick now."

She pauses, then adds, "Except that now I may be on my own."

"I didn't thought you'd be the vengeful type... sorry I asked...", Anna entered the area where they had set up camp and walked over to where Raider must've been sleeping. Carefully she tried to wake him up. There was a lot to talk about, especially now that their little group has gotten a new "recruit".

"I didn't thought you'd be the vengeful type... sorry I asked...", Anna entered the area where they had set up camp and walked over to where Raider must've been sleeping. Carefully she tried to wake him up. There was a lot to talk about, especially now that their little group has gotten a new "recruit".

Raider was sitting up rubbing his eyes. "That wasn't nearly long enough to sleep." He smiled at everyone, "Good to see you all again. I've got good news and I've got bad news, but first introduce me to our guest." He reaches out and offers his hand to Ash.

Raider was sitting up rubbing his eyes. "That wasn't nearly long enough to sleep." He smiled at everyone, "Good to see you all again. I've got good news and I've got bad news, but first introduce me to our guest." He reaches out and offers his hand to Ash.

Ashley reacts out of long, drilled instincts, giving Raider a salute and saying, "Corporal Ashley Logan," before even having a second to think. She quickly amends, "Ex-corporal now."

Ex-human too, she adds privately.

Ashley reacts out of long, drilled instincts, giving Raider a salute and saying, "Corporal Ashley Logan," before even having a second to think. She quickly amends, "Ex-corporal now."

Ex-human too, she adds privately.

Raider gets a look of horror and disgust on his face, "Bathroom? You have to use the bathroom, yuck!" He can't keep a straight face for more than a couple seconds though before he starts laughing. "Just kidding, yeah, we do and we use the main tunnel out there, just move out into the darkness a little ways from the door. Unfortunately we don't exactly have real facilities down here."

Raider gets a look of horror and disgust on his face, "Bathroom? You have to use the bathroom, yuck!" He can't keep a straight face for more than a couple seconds though before he starts laughing. "Just kidding, yeah, we do and we use the main tunnel out there, just move out into the darkness a little ways from the door. Unfortunately we don't exactly have real facilities down here."

Ash gives Raider a sour look. "I'll manage. Thanks."

She prowls out into the tunnel and follows his directions through the gloom and into the spot they used as a latrine. God, privacy at last. Just in time too. Already Ash could feel the numbness of shock wearing off. Under neath was what felt like a bottomless ocean; dark and stormy and abjectly terrifying.

Finally alone, she sank to her knees and pressed her head into a stone corner of the room. A moment later her shoulders started shaking as she silently, except for occasional hitching gulps of air, cried her eyes out.

Ash gives Raider a sour look. "I'll manage. Thanks."

She prowls out into the tunnel and follows his directions through the gloom and into the spot they used as a latrine. God, privacy at last. Just in time too. Already Ash could feel the numbness of shock wearing off. Under neath was what felt like a bottomless ocean; dark and stormy and abjectly terrifying.

Finally alone, she sank to her knees and pressed her head into a stone corner of the room. A moment later her shoulders started shaking as she silently, except for occasional hitching gulps of air, cried her eyes out.

Anna watched Ashley go and decided against her desire to follow her and continue the conversation they had on the way to the camp. Looking at Raider she put on a smile and said, "She just erupted recently, I think she needs some time on her own to get her bearings. So what's the bad news then?"

Anna watched Ashley go and decided against her desire to follow her and continue the conversation they had on the way to the camp. Looking at Raider she put on a smile and said, "She just erupted recently, I think she needs some time on her own to get her bearings. So what's the bad news then?"

Setting his back against the wall, "Bad news is that one of the missiles didn't fire and caused the station to go spinning out of its orbit. The good news is that all the others did launch successfully. My plan is to dismantle the one that didn't fire and if the others don't successfully do the job, we can take that warhead and plant in in the comet to try and destroy it, but we're gonna have to wait till we find out if the others did their job first. Other good news is that there are quite a few objects still active up there in orbit, but it will take time and effort to track them down and find out what they do and whether or no they will be useful. The other bad news, or perhaps good depending on your viewpoint, there don't appear to be any other platforms with missiles left. I'm not telling James about the one that's left. Once I've got the warhead dismantled I want to get Adam to warp us up there to place it. I don't want James to ever even know that one exists."

Setting his back against the wall, "Bad news is that one of the missiles didn't fire and caused the station to go spinning out of its orbit. The good news is that all the others did launch successfully. My plan is to dismantle the one that didn't fire and if the others don't successfully do the job, we can take that warhead and plant in in the comet to try and destroy it, but we're gonna have to wait till we find out if the others did their job first. Other good news is that there are quite a few objects still active up there in orbit, but it will take time and effort to track them down and find out what they do and whether or no they will be useful. The other bad news, or perhaps good depending on your viewpoint, there don't appear to be any other platforms with missiles left. I'm not telling James about the one that's left. Once I've got the warhead dismantled I want to get Adam to warp us up there to place it. I don't want James to ever even know that one exists."

"What if the missiles don't hit the comet... or if they cannot destroy it? What do we do then?", Anna sounded really concerned about this. She had finally found some people that had accepted her as she was and now the world was about to get destroyed if they didn't do something against it. Sometimes she asked herself if she was cursed with bad luck.

"What if the missiles don't hit the comet... or if they cannot destroy it? What do we do then?", Anna sounded really concerned about this. She had finally found some people that had accepted her as she was and now the world was about to get destroyed if they didn't do something against it. Sometimes she asked herself if she was cursed with bad luck.

"Next?" Raider grins, "We eat." He pauses for a second then chuckles at his own lame joke then sighs when no one else laughs. "After that we head back to home for a bit. I need to contact Adam and make sure he can open a warp for us when we need it. If we need it. Then I think we should Gregory and maybe Ashley should poke around here some more and find out all the info they can for after this crisis is over. I don't intend to leave James in charge around here once we are out of danger. The slavery I've seen here and torture need to end. We need to prepare now so that we will be ready for then."

Raider smiles at Anna, "Don't worry, I'm not talking about war, or even fighting if we can help it. It might just be as simple as providing the humans with a means of escape and a place to escape to."

Thinking to Doug and Doug alone, *I'm not revealing my plans to the others yet because I don't want James to go picking at their minds. I have some defenses against his prying, but not much. I'd rather just not provide him with any reason to poke, and that includes not giving him easy access to the knowledge that there is more knowledge to be had. I'm going to spend the time between now and when the missiles arrive at the comet seeing what those other active satellites are and preparing that nuke for transport to the comet if it's necessary. See if you can coordinate with Ashley to organize something for after the crisis is over.*

"Next?" Raider grins, "We eat." He pauses for a second then chuckles at his own lame joke then sighs when no one else laughs. "After that we head back to home for a bit. I need to contact Adam and make sure he can open a warp for us when we need it. If we need it. Then I think we should Gregory and maybe Ashley should poke around here some more and find out all the info they can for after this crisis is over. I don't intend to leave James in charge around here once we are out of danger. The slavery I've seen here and torture need to end. We need to prepare now so that we will be ready for then."

Raider smiles at Anna, "Don't worry, I'm not talking about war, or even fighting if we can help it. It might just be as simple as providing the humans with a means of escape and a place to escape to."

Thinking to Doug and Doug alone, *I'm not revealing my plans to the others yet because I don't want James to go picking at their minds. I have some defenses against his prying, but not much. I'd rather just not provide him with any reason to poke, and that includes not giving him easy access to the knowledge that there is more knowledge to be had. I'm going to spend the time between now and when the missiles arrive at the comet seeing what those other active satellites are and preparing that nuke for transport to the comet if it's necessary. See if you can coordinate with Ashley to organize something for after the crisis is over.*

"Someone mention food?"

Ashley makes her way back in. She's put her tinted goggles on which, combined with her messy hair, gives her a weird sort of 'mad scientist in makeshift BDU' vibe. Her voice is definitely stuffed up, like she has a cold, even though she sounded fine before she went to the bathroom.

"Because I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm -starving-."

"Someone mention food?"

Ashley makes her way back in. She's put her tinted goggles on which, combined with her messy hair, gives her a weird sort of 'mad scientist in makeshift BDU' vibe. Her voice is definitely stuffed up, like she has a cold, even though she sounded fine before she went to the bathroom.

"Because I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm -starving-."

While the rest of them ate, Gregory took Raider's advice and renewed his scouting of the city. He went to places he had never been, and making a mental note when he saw guards and lighted areas.

He couldn't get the image of Ash shooting light from her hands, and he wanted to be able to do the same. A few times, he stopped and tried to create light from his hands, but was unsuccessful. After the fourth of fifth try, he ended up creating a man sized rodent of some kind, which sailed against a wall, before dissolving into quantum dust. Obviously, it was not the desired effect.

Gregory realized that tossing stuff from his hands was going to take a long time.

While the rest of them ate, Gregory took Raider's advice and renewed his scouting of the city. He went to places he had never been, and making a mental note when he saw guards and lighted areas.

He couldn't get the image of Ash shooting light from her hands, and he wanted to be able to do the same. A few times, he stopped and tried to create light from his hands, but was unsuccessful. After the fourth of fifth try, he ended up creating a man sized rodent of some kind, which sailed against a wall, before dissolving into quantum dust. Obviously, it was not the desired effect.

Gregory realized that tossing stuff from his hands was going to take a long time.

Doug sent back to Raider,

*Understood. I'm going to try to spiff up my mindshield, I get the feeling I'll be needing it.*

Out loud Doug said,

"Thanks but I'm not hungry. I ate... um... earlier." Doug tried to remember when he last ate but dismissed it as unimportant. He continued,

"So we've got, what, 2 months before we find out if the burners land? Well, since we have the time, I'm going to try to get a handle on how many factions are around here and who is who and what they want. Very similar to setting up a trading run actually."

A thought comes to Doug and he asks Ashley,

"Hey, Ash, how about your people? What do they need and have to offer? Would they trade with a nova? "

Doug sent back to Raider,

*Understood. I'm going to try to spiff up my mindshield, I get the feeling I'll be needing it.*

Out loud Doug said,

"Thanks but I'm not hungry. I ate... um... earlier." Doug tried to remember when he last ate but dismissed it as unimportant. He continued,

"So we've got, what, 2 months before we find out if the burners land? Well, since we have the time, I'm going to try to get a handle on how many factions are around here and who is who and what they want. Very similar to setting up a trading run actually."

A thought comes to Doug and he asks Ashley,

"Hey, Ash, how about your people? What do they need and have to offer? Would they trade with a nova? "

Ash shakes her head.

"By now, they should be on their way out of the city if they're following orders. They need...everything. Food. Medicine. Supplies. Transportation. They can't offer anything. And none of them are going to be comfortable with..." she trips over what she was going to say and amends herself, "...with our kind."

Ash shakes her head.

"By now, they should be on their way out of the city if they're following orders. They need...everything. Food. Medicine. Supplies. Transportation. They can't offer anything. And none of them are going to be comfortable with..." she trips over what she was going to say and amends herself, "...with our kind."

Archived