Aberrant: Phoenix Rising - Book 2: Chapter 2: Meddle

jameson (ST)

Gregory give Doug an annoyed look befoe clarifying his earlier statement.

"These are not the same tunnels. Maybe they connect with the others, but I go to those a differnet way. They were bigger, had rain trakcs in them. I think I remeber where they are, if you want me to show you. There were guards there too."

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KB adds, "Right now our best advantage is that they don't know we are here and they think we're stuck in Newborough under fifteen feet of snow and a blizzard from hell. Better for Gregory and maybe Raider to sneak in and scout undetected. Anna, you and Courier can continue gathering information from the locals." KB shrugs, this isn't her usual are of expertise, and she was clearly not comfortable with the situation they were in regardless of their apparent strength of position.

Doug nods and says,

"KB is right, there's a lot more of them than there are of us, and stealth... isn't my strong suit. Anna and I can stay out in the open, maybe even get minor jobs with that crew now that we have an idea on where they are."

"OK," he replies to Raider. "Let's go"

He will show Raider where he found Squiddy and his train. He will stealthily travel on foot, camoflaged, rather than ghosting in with Raider. Gregory will make sure that Raider can follow him, stopping and pointing to where he plans to go next.

Two days later ...

Filthy, tired, and hungry Courier and Anna return the next evening to find the Cavern empty. More than a little concerned Courier's first impulse to to rush out and look for KB and the others but Anna restrains him and convinces him that it is likely that they will return soon, that they probably needed to find food or some such. Within the hour Gregory and Raider return from their day sneaking about the city.

The four of them eat a small meal discussing their findings of the day while wondering what happened to KB, Calypso and Seven. Anna and Doug explain that there seems to be a plan behind the systematic destruction of the non-habitable buildings with nova powers being used to reclaim and recycle much of the valuable materials like steel, iron, copper, etc. While the "foremen" running the jobs are largely unaware of any greater plan the fact is inescapable once you look at the larger picture.

Raider and Gregory report that they located the tunnel entrance that Gregory found months back. Unable to continue within and past the guards Gregory further explored the tunnels. Gregory reports that many of the older subway stations are abandoned and in disrepair but that others seem to be used still, many have guards stationed at them although the tunnels proceed unguarded to the surface and below again. Finally he relates that the working tunnels all converge under the great dome at the heart of the city. He mentions that the dome itself is too well guarded for him to enter but that Raider could easily explore beyond the guards.

Raider himself had ghosted past the guards and into a large manufacturing facility. Various aberrants and baselines were found at work with machine equipment working on everything from light switches to plumbing valves. Continuing within the same facility Raider was astonished to find that there were machinery for the production of micro circuits and other transistor based technology, something that had been, to his knowledge, all but lost during the burn.

As they eat and talk the four note that a storm is forming outside with considerable precipitation and wind. A few hours later Doug is contacted by Calypso:

Originally Posted By: Calypso
* Kelly convinced me to tell you where we are. Do not fear for her safety she and Seven have both chosen to come with me. I feel as though the storm destroying our home is at least in part due to the my actions this past autumn. So ... I have decided that I must apply myself to stopping this regardless of the cost. Do not abandon your own course of action, you can help us no more than we can help you. With luck we will all be reunited in time.*

The speed of Doug's response and thought processes is remarkable. He sends back,

*:Sigh: Do what you feel you must. Give Kelly my love and tell her I still want her. Every day I see her healing, sooner or later she'll heal enough to open the link again and find me here. And Cal, call out if you get in trouble.*

Guest Calypso
Originally Posted By: Courier
The speed of Doug's response and thought processes is remarkable. He sends back,

*:Sigh: Do what you feel you must. Give Kelly my love and tell her I still want her. Every day I see her healing, sooner or later she'll heal enough to open the link again and find me here. And Cal, call out if you get in trouble.*

*I'll tell her. As for trouble, I can expect nothing less, don't worry I have no intention of meeting my end this night.* With that link closes and, as if to add finality to the conversation, outside a flash of lightening is accompanied by a thunderous roar.

Doug says to the others,

"Bad news. Cal, KB, and Seven have gone off to do their own thing. Sounds mostly like guilt over screwing up our last weather bit or revenge over it. I think they're going to try to repeat that business, but here this time."

Doug says,

"They left on their own."

"Anna, before you joined us Squiddy used the weather to make a mess of our city. KB and Cal accidently helped start that and they failed to stop it. Cal said they owe it to someone to stop this."

"And they, she, was vague about what they were going to do and how. I don't think they're trying to change that storm that did a number on us, so that leaves doing a number here. I think they're going to make the weather go mad here. Hope they know what they were doing."

Raider sighed. "If they are creating a mega storm to wreak havoc here, it could well do the same to our efforts. I just got back and was going to tell you all. They are doing some very interesting work inside a manufacturing facility I found. They are making technical equipment like transistors and microchips that haven't been made since before the Burn. If these guys weren't evil and being led by psychos I'd be ecstatic over what they are accomplishing. As it is, it has me deeply worried."

Doug gets an evil smile and glances at Anna. He says,

"This chip making place, is it in a basement somewhere? Be a shame if some very tallented young woman were to redirect one of the water draining tunnels and cause it to be flooded out. All that electronic stuff doesn't mix well with water as I recall."

He looks a little more serious and says,

"Actually I've been worried about our place, I think the flood waters will raise the water level a lot."

Raider nods, "That thought had occurred to me as well. Perhaps our good Anna here could make us a nice escape passage. I can scout the way through the ground and point her where to make the tunnel. What do you think Anna, that wouldn't be too taxing on your abilities would it?"

Gregory listened to what the others were saying. Doug and Raider were talking about that 'lektronic stuff again. This time they were saying odd words like tranzitors and mikochips. Gregory was sure he had seen some of them in the shop, back in Newborough, but their use was a mystery to Gregory. They also seemed to think water would hurt the 'lectronics. Doug and Raider had some silly notions.

Anna was more like him. She had a bond with the ground and with animals. Gregory found that soothing. Sometimes he wondered if she could bring 'Dog' back for him. He missed his friend.

Raider nodded to Anna, "Good. With this storm brewing that is the first priority. Let me scout the best place for the tunnel to come out then I'll guide you to it." Unless anyone objects Raider will ghost up toward the surface straight up then when he is at the surface the will scout around for a good hidden place for the tunnel to exit. He will also ensure that the exit is not in a low spot that will collect water and funnel it down to their hideout.

Opening the link to Steve. *I was just up here looking for a good spot to place the tunnel exit and I found one, btw. But while I was here I looked up and saw that think in orbit and it just suddenly occurred to me that the clock is ticking. What if that second ship isn't under construction down here. What if it's being put together up there? These guys are a lot further on in technology than I was giving them credit for. I think I want to pay that thing a visit. Tonight. Are you up for it?*

Raider swears to himself and sends back, *Damn, I forgot you needed to breath. I guess I'll have to go by myself. If the place has atmosphere, I can come back for you I guess. Hang on.* Ghosting back through the wall he speaks aloud, "Hey Anna, I'm ready. He points to the wall where he wants the escape tunnel. The top will come out inside a small abandoned building. Doug and Anna can lay claim to the building if it looks like someone might disturb it or questions why people go in or out of it."

He waits as Anna gets to work and points her the way, occasionally ghosting back through the ground to get his bearings again and make sure they are going to end up in the right place.

Raider smiled at Courier, "I've developed a new trick. Not quite as useful as Adam's but I can skip over the intervening distance as thought it weren't there. I'll be gone and back before you know it. Well, it may take a day or two, but I'll be back soon." Readjusting the gear he'd gathered he waved to everyone. "Back soon." As everyone watched he first turned into a ghost like always, but then he just wasn't there anymore between the blink of an eye and the next.

Gregory watches Anna and Courier play with the stone as if it was malleable clay. He could see them working in the dim light.

Raider's new trick was something tha Gregory tried to puzzle out. He told himself that it was probably just a magic trick and that Raider was hiding just down one of the tunnels.

Several hours later the tunnel is complete. Courier, Anna and Gregory retire into the cavern and rest wondering just what Raider is going through at the moment. Probably nothing exciting, just floating in space amid a bunch of junk looking at James' newest weapon.

Anna smiled more than ever. She was happy that she could help with her gifts of controlling the earth which she felt closer connected to, than helping physically with her strong body. She still wasn't quite sure about the extend of the danger ahead, but she felt confident enough around her new friends.

"I wanted to thank you for accepting me. You are good friends... best friends I had forever.", she said.

Raider reappeared in the room looking very tired. He called out to the others to join him as he sat with his back to the wall. Despite his weariness there is an intensity about his eyes as if he has seen something profoundly disturbing.

"We've got a big, big problem." He pauses to take a drink to moisten his lips and mouth, the continues, "I think we've misunderstood what's going on here completely. They aren't trying to destroy the human race, they are trying to save it. Don't get me wrong they are still evil and Squiddy really needs to die for what he's done, but this city and these evil bastards may be the only thing standing between the Earth and destruction."

Seeing the looks of confusion and consternation he clarifies, "That bright light up in the sky isn't a space ship, or a weapons platform, it's a comet, and I think it's heading for the Earth. It's at least 10 miles long and 50% or more rock. It's not a planet killer, but it could be enough to wipe out most of the life on the planet, it's about the size of the one that killed the dinosaurs."

"What's worse, I think these aberrants are trying to stop it. I think that rocket we destroyed was meant for the comet, not for Newborough, and what Gregory overheard was them talking about trying to save at least the novas that could survive space by getting them clear of the planet at the time of the impact. Damn, I hope there is something we can do to stop it, but there is very little time left. It's moving at incredible speed."

Raider leans forward and puts his hand on Doug's shoulder, "There's one other thing my friend. The snow we are getting outside isn't KB and Calypso. They are fighting the storm over Newborough right now. I could see it from orbit."

Archived