Aberrant: 200X - Progress update 19Feb08

Nova OOC

Good morning everyone.

The discussion since the release of the first public draft of the 200X Bible has been. . .

Well, you all saw it.

Anyway, the first major revision will be released for discussion soon, probably not this afternoon or evening, but within 24-48 hours. What's been discussed so far will be sorted through, collated, folded, spindled, mutilated, and incorporated. There is no cut-off time for inclusion. Please continue to discuss the setting as usual, and as much of the discussion as possible will be included.

I'd like to thank everyone for their creative input so far. The response to the proposal has been overwhelming and immensely gratifying. I think that there was a vast untapped reservior of creative energy looking for a good outlet. I'm proud to have been the one to provide a way to release that energy. Thank you, thank you, from the bottom of my heart, thank you.

I'd like to take this opportunity to make something plain: 200X is not an unlimited democracy. I apologize to those who have interpreted my frequent requests for the ideas of others and the provision in the 200X Bible for large-scale alterations to the setting to require a vote of the writers at large to mean that unlimited democracy holds sway in 200X. It does not. No one has the right to unilaterally announce a binding referendum on any topic and expect the results of that referendum to become the rule of the era.

The 200X setting is not going to be to the liking of all people, and some will choose not to participate. I recognized this even before I announced "I have an idea." The absence of a fraction of the members of N! Prime is acceptable to me. However, I do aim to craft a setting which serves the interests of a large number of N! Prime members-- specifically the members who feel under-served by the offerings in 2010 and 2018, and the members who feel like they may have irreparably damaged their standing in 2010 and 2018 and who wish for a fresh start.

Make no mistake: those people who I consider "my kind of people" will be catered to. I am not a soulless automaton who will follow the whim of the masses regardless of direction. If those who disagree with the format of the setting are a large enough faction, then they should possess more than enough talent to create a setting which caters to their own desires as well. I do not hold the sole license for creating worlds. While I am confident that 200X will thrive, it is not intended to please everyone's desires. I am making a place for my friends to enjoy, and that includes people who I do not yet know who like what they see here and would like to be friends with my friends too.

The intent of this message is not to start another flamewar. It is to make as plain as possible my position on this subject. Some will not like it. I know that. To you I say: go in peace and make your own setting. I wish it well. I hope that you have great fun. Everyone deserves to have fun, but not everyone wants the same kind of fun.

The flamewars have nearly sapped all of my energy, but my friends are doing their best to shore me up. The strength of their affection is unbelievable, and I am proud to be their friend. Thank you, thank you, a thousand times, thank you.

I've decided to write this entire post without naming a single other person, friend or adversary. For that reason I cannot say who it was that advised me that the middle part of these sorts of projects are the worst part. He's right. It has been hard. However, 90% of the work is finished. When I post the upcoming major revision to the 200X Bible we will be almost all the way through this project. It will contain the sweat and ideas of almost everyone who has participated here so far. Despite this not being a democracy, it will nevertheless be our document, not my document.

With a little bit of help from my friends, we'll see this project through. We're almost to the fun part. Stick with me and we'll be laughing soon enough.

--Nova

Until the details of the system are resolved, might it be a waste of energy to create a full character sheet only to likely be forced to change it later? I agree that a character thread is a very good idea and one I encourage, but I would hate for people to feel "burned" by changes in the system as it undergoes further development.

I'd absolutely love to see drafts of character ideas, though. It's very exciting to "meet" the characters.

Archived