Aberrant RPG - Quantum Power Weaknesses

Ammonites

Just curious how others would value a "Focus" weakness. A nova who cannot use a power without a particular fetish to focus his power. Example:

Joe has Quantum Bolt, but is unable to use it without his trusty "laser gun".

How many points weakness would that be worth? 3 5?

Also, could you have varying degrees of this weakness?

Essentially what we're talking about here is a psychological version of the Dumbo Syndrome aberration.

I'd be hesitant to make this a Weakness though. It would probably be better as a Flaw.

Focus (3pts): The Nova must use a physical object to channel one of her powers, for instance a pistol to channel a Q-bolt. The object does not have to be unique (ie any pistol will do) but the Nova must be in direct physical contact with the object or the power will not work.

Unique Focus (5pts): Similar to the 3pt version but the Nova's focusing object is unique (ie a pendant given to the Nova by a loved one, her father's cop badge, etc). Without the specific object the Nova's power cannot work. If the object is destroyed then the Nova loses a permanant Willpower point and gains a Derrangement of the GM's choice.

If it's just for one power that is being bought after character creation, I'd say make it a 2 or 4 point weakness, based on what Sphere said about it being unique or not. One of my fellow characters in my Friday games has his Q-bolt set up that he has to have something (anything) to throw for his Q_bolt to work, and that sounds like this.

I would call it an aberration or weakness but I recognize it's theoretically possible to overcome a flaw. An aberration is an aspect of a quantum expression a nova will have the opportunity to deal with until the day he or she dies. It doesn't go away. A weakness is similar in nature but applied to individual powers rather than to the nova.

So in answering the question I would first ask whether its possible for the nova to overcome this. The Turtle, from the Wild Cards series, normally wouldn't use his telekinesis without being in his turtle shell. If you asked he would tell you that he couldn't although he has to remember he was a powerful telekinetic even before his first shell was created. This is an example of flaw; when the proper psychological levers are pulled the Turtle can and has used his telekinesis without being in his metallic shell. If it can be overcome then its a flaw not an aberration or weakness.

If it cannot be overcome then its a weakness (or aberration) and, as Sphere said, it really comes down to how screwed the nova is when something happens to his focus. If you need a ring to use your "Zombie summoning incantation" that's one thing. If the ring has to be forged under the third moon of the month consecrated to Sammaine using red gold that's a little more restrictive. If the ring is unique, the one true ring supposedly given by Saimmaine to his chief voodun priestess a thousand years ago, then you are at a distinct disadvantage when something happens to that ring.

Using your example the questions become can Joe repair his trusty laser gun or replace it when its destroyed? How easily can he replace or repair it? Therein lies your answer.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tommy Tomorrow:
I would call it an aberration or weakness but I recognize it's theoretically possible to overcome a flaw.
Actually AFAICT, No, it's not. Or at least we have no rules for that.

In theory if you take Pax as an foe and Mal kills him, then you still have a -7 flaw. In practice there really should be a way to buy off such things... and that's for social issues. I don't see any reason why (or how) quantum flaws should be removeable.

There is a medium level Quantum aberration called "Dumbo Syndrome" in the APG(p.95). A characters powers are tied into a certain object. With it their powers function normally, without it they are powerless like a baseline.

Conceivably such an aberration could be changed to another aberration via Chrysalis. Aberration transfer (with the permanent extra) could also alleviate the syndrome.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack 'MultiGate' Anderson:
Actually AFAICT, No, it's not. Or at least we have no rules for that.
We have no rules for it, which is why I only say its theoretically possible to be overcome. Flaws are a varied groupings and its difficult to do other than generalize since anything said would not necessarily apply to all or even most flaws. In that vein; in the course of roleplaying a character many changes often result, often of the worse rather than better variety, but there are changes. Yes I am speaking of social or psychological flaws as opposed to something rooted directly in the quantum expression of the nova. However to answer your observation, I believe anything sufficient to fundamentally alter the character concept or to achieve Q6 is probably a sufficient cause to at least rethink the quantum flaws. Often the character will go further down the path they've already chosen but, again, I recognize its theoretically possible for another path to be taken.
Quote:
Originally posted by The White Rat:
Conceivably such an aberration could be changed to another aberration via Chrysalis. Aberration transfer (with the permanent extra) could also alleviate the syndrome.
Good observations. I am not overly fond of the uses "permanent" finds in this game but your observations were still insightful.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack 'MultiGate' Anderson:
In theory if you take Pax as an foe and Mal kills him, then you still have a -7 flaw. In practice there really should be a way to buy off such things... and that's for social issues. I don't see any reason why (or how) quantum flaws should be removeable.
I believe you could buy the flaw off with Experience normally at either 1:1 or 2:1 (7 or 14 XP to remove a 7 point flaw). While that may simply be a house rule that we use, I believe it's in the Storyteller Rules somewhere.

Archived