Aberrant: 2011 - Extras (Submitted for Approval)

Dave ST

Resubmitted for Mod approval, with the support of:

Cyn (Dead, but it still counts! whistle)

Pele

Seph

Bellator

Mech

Lina

Jaunt (Teleport Extra)

The nova is permitted to make ‘jaunts’ at no quantum cost. Their node channels ambient quantum energies a lot more efficiently and burns them off instead of the nova’s own internal reserves.

System: For each dot in Teleport the nova may ‘jaunt’ up to 3 meters (10 feet is the base we used). This use of the power is free (no quantum cost) but has a few drawbacks. The nova may teleport to only familiar places (to the kitchen, back to their room, to the tool shed out back). Any situation that requires the nova to do anything but casual action negates the use of this extra (e.g. any action requiring a die roll, like combat, or catching a forward pass). Aside from that, the nova may ‘blink’ in and out of places as often as she likes.

At Teleport ●●●● – The jaunt distance increases to ½ mile per dot in Teleport, also the nova has mastered his ability enough to use ‘teleport’ normally as if the extra was not there (the power remains level three, but the nova only spends 2 quantum points to activate it).

At Teleport ●●●●● – The jaunt distance increases to 1 mile per dot in Teleport, also the nova has complete mastery over his abilities at this point, the cost for normal teleporting is reduced to 1 quantum point per activation.

-----{{{{{}}}}}-----
Flicker (Teleport Extra)

The nova may teleport in rapid succession. These extra teleports are rarely accurate and require intense concentration, but novas that have taken the time to master this ability are truly awe inspiring to watch. This extra is also called “Army of One” or “From The Shadows” for more combat oriented novas. This Extra must be added to the power when its first dot is purchased (your node either allows you to manipulate quantum this way or it doesn’t). Even with this extra, the nova is permitted to use Teleport normally if they choose too. This extra is not compatible with the ‘Multitasking’ enhncement, the node is already stressed by performing multiple teleports that the nova must focus on destinations and accuracy, forgoing his ability to effortlessly shrug off dice penalties.

System: This extra may be used as an offensive version of combat teleport. For each dot he character posses in Teleport they may spend one additional QP and take an extra action that turn. This differs from quickness in that each extra action suffers a cumulative –2 dice penalty (-2 for the first action, -4 for the second, -6 for the third, etc.) as well as a –2 initiative penalty. For each dot in Perception (not Mega-Perception) the nova possesses, the dice penalty is reduced by one, this cannot result in bonus dice. The fist opponent attacked is considered ‘Off-Balance’ (blind sided) and the nova receives a +2 to bonus to their dice rolls for that action. After this first attack the element of surprise is gone and most opponents know that the teleporter coming out from somewhere, so are more alert. Each action must be taken separately and the destination must be at least 3 meters (per dot in Teleport, the better you are, the farther people can be) from the point of origin of the previous action.

Example: Jack Flack uses ‘Flicker’ to attack some thugs who are assaulting Lady Ace. He has Teleport 2 and Perception 3. He spends 4 Quantum Points (2 for Teleport, 2 for extra actions). His first attack is at -/+0 and his second attack suffers a –1 dice penalty (-2 +3 = 0, -4 +3 = -1). His first target is completely blind sided so Jack Flack gains a +2 bonus to attack rolls against him.

Example 2: Five skeet are launched into the air and Jack Flack wants to show off by plucking each of them from the sky. He now has Teleport 5, Perception 5, Mega-Perception 2 (see below). He spends 5 Quantum Points (1 for each action, see below). His dice pools are now +0, +0, +0, +0, -2. He succeeds in all his ‘catch the skeet’ rolls and in five incredibly rapid blinks is now holding the five skeet and has large grin on his face. Since objects cannot be caught blind sided, the +2 bonus for his fist roll did not apply to this example.

At Teleport ●●● - The nova no longer pays for teleportation, only the extra actions. This only applies when using the Teleport power with the ‘Flicker’ extra.

At Teleport ●●●● – The nova may now add their Mega-Perception score to assist in removing the dice penalty. So at Perception 5, Mega-Perception 5 the nova suffers no dice penalties for extra actions.

At Telport ●●●●● – For each attack the nova makes on an opponent, that opponent is considered blindsided. Also each action may now be against the same opponent/object with only a –1 initiative penalty. The nova is now that fast and that accurate!

-----{{{{{}}}}}-----
Mass Transit (Teleport Extra)
(Get it? MASS Transit... grin)

Perquisite: Minimum Attunement ●

This rare extra allows a nova to expand on his powers of attuning his quantum signature to objects permitting the nova to carry items or people along with him/her while he/she teleports. This process is taxing however and places most nova’s in a state of exhaustion since most novas can only handle bout 100kg before there is stressed beyond it’s limits.

System:The nova may spend one quantum point as well as suffer one unsoakable bashing health level of damage to attune additional 10kg. This additional weight is cumulative to any weight the nova is already permitted via their attunement background. The nova may not spend any more nova points than what is permitted by their node rating. The nova may not spend several turns ‘charging’ a massive object, if they cannot carry the entire attuned load in a single use of attunement then they cannot carry the weight.

The nova has the option (if their node rating is high enough) of spending all of their bashing health, and carrying the damage into their lethal health level as well, the damage is not suffered until after the teleportation is made. Yes, if necessary, the nova may kill themselves if they attune something too large for their bodies to handle.

Example: Flicker has Attunement ●●●●●. We all know this. This permits her to attune 100kg. She has a node rating of ●●● (I’m guessing for sake of the example.). She finds herself trapped in a crumbling building with a class of eight small children (est. @ about 20kgs each for a total of 160kg). She flares her node as the children gather around her. Flicker spends three quantum points to activate teleport plus spends additional 7 quantum points (1 to attune 100kg, and 6 to attune an additional 60kg). Her and the children teleport to safety but when they arrive at their destination Flicker collapses to the ground with a throbbing headache as waves of weariness wash over her as she suffers 6 unsoakable bashing health levels, but it was worth it. The children are safe.

At Teleport ●●●● – The nova may now transport up to 25kg per quantum point spent.

At Teleport ●●●●● – The nova is now at a level of skill where they are able to shrug off the fatigue of pushing their node a lot faster than others with this extra. The nova may now soak the damage with their Stamina (Mega-Stamina may be used as well). No other factors (Armor (worn or the power), Invulnerability, or any other excuse the player comes up with.) may assist with this soak. Stamina enhancements (like resiliency) are considered part of ‘Stamina only Soak’.

• 3 weeks later...

I would vote against these extras (if I get a vote that is.)

While they make for extra depth and flavor, each one of them is stronger than existing extras ... especially if you look at them at the level 5 power.

Jaunt is effectively RQC plus the free teleport extra. If it had stayed at its basic form, I would have liked it.

Flicker ... lets just say that any power that Blindsides an opponent no matter what their abilities are cries broken to me. As it is, its a fantastic way to get extra actions with little or no penalty. I think the extra does too much and at higher levels becomes WAY too much.

Mass Transit I liked the most. Even at the higher levels, its pretty reasonalbe. I am curious why an Area Effect extra with a Touch range weakness couldn't be used for the same effect. Anybody?

Thank you for the feedback. I really wish you had said something earlier, because you know... these have only been posted for four months. But that's neither here nor there.

Originally Posted By: Ravenshire
I would vote against these extras (if I get a vote that is.)

I don't see why you wouldn't. This revision has been here for three weeks now and no ones touched it (except Nova). I guess the Directors don't read the forums much anymore.

Quote:
While they make for extra depth and flavor, each one of them is stronger than existing extras ... especially if you look at them at the level 5 power.

Considering that statistically very few novas actually reach Rating 5 in a level three power (and I mean real novas, not some of these broken things we call novas here on N!Prime. And yes, I place Reven in that category too) I consider these fair. These have been play tested and they do not 'break' the game, at least in my opinion. They permit versatility and give a character something to look forward to. ("3 more EXP points and I can jaunt like a pro... c'mon 3 EXP points!")

In my opinion it's the way extras should have been done, they close a nova gets to mastering their power the easier they make it look.

Quote:
Jaunt is effectively RQC plus the free teleport extra. If it had stayed at its basic form, I would have liked it.

I've never heard of the 'free teleport' extra.

The RDC only kicks in after 79 EXP worth of spending and you have to master the power before it kicks in. Jaunting only 5 miles makes this extra good for popping to the store and back, or maybe on to school in the morning, but I'd certainly laugh at the idiot who thought it made for a great way to travel. If you want to do that, spend the QPs.

Quote:
Flicker ... lets just say that any power that Blindsides an opponent no matter what their abilities are cries broken to me. As it is, its a fantastic way to get extra actions with little or no penalty. I think the extra does too much and at higher levels becomes WAY too much.

Who said ‘no matter what their abilities are’? I know I didn’t. Can we not put words in the explanation that aren’t there plskaythx. Extras are written in a format that does not include "and this is how you counter it". There are several Mega-Perception Enhancements that very easily negate the Blindsiding effect, or demand that the character attempting the attack get very descriptive and tricky in order to 'pull it off'.

Would this nova whoop ass on a few baselines? Yes, no doubt, and he should. Would this same nova whoop ass on another nova? Maybe, considering only 5 successes carry over to the damage roll WTF does it matter if someone gets 2 extra dice?

This extra has been play tested for over three months now in a TT aberrant game that omits the 5 Succ cap on damage pools and so far we have noticed only on an occasional roll was the damage pool affected, and even then only by two dice.

Since its inception into our game this extra has been countered with Hypermovement (the character did not over come the added difficulty Hypermovement adds to attack rolls), Superheavy Armor (See hypermove, but instead of the target being to swift to hit they were too damn tough), and also Ultraperipheral Perception.

Note in those three instances all but one of them (UP Perception) the attacking character had his +2 for blindsiding and it didn't do them a lick of good.

But yes, I see your point, adding 2 extra dice to an attack pool certainly does off set game immensely.

Not!

Quote:
Mass Transit I liked the most. Even at the higher levels, its pretty reasonable. I am curious why an Area Effect extra with a Touch range weakness couldn't be used for the same effect. Anybody?

No. You can only attune 100kg. That's it, done deal. If you are not attuned to it, it doesn't go with you. I see a lot of people using this "Area + Teleport" shtick to get around attuning things.

Permit me to enlighten you to something called 'the rules': "Teleporting one's cloths, carried objects and the like requires the Attunement Background. (p. 139)"

Since attunement requires you to be in contact with your target you may not add area to it (sine anything you could take with you needs to be touching you anyway). Just because the sofa is touching the floor and so are you that doesn’t mean the sofa is touching you as well by proxy, unless you character is actually touching it (has their hand on it, sitting on it, etc…)!

Mass Transit permits a nova to expand on the Attunement Background in the form of a teleport extra.

This post is not open for voting or debate. Five players have already given their support to these extras, and at this point, all that is left is for us to approve them.

Dave, we apologize for not acting on this earlier. It was an oversight which we will correct as soon as we can.

The '09 Moderators

Archived