Aberrant: 2011 - OMG I got a nova job!

Pew Pew Pew

Hey everyone!

You're not going to believe this! I just scored an awesome summer job. I've been hired by the city of Marshalltown to be the local municipal defender! The city isn't calling me that, though. Officially and for the record, I'm being hired as an "on-call contractor" for "nova matters," but the Marshalltown Times-Republican is already throwing around the phrase "municipal defender" in their article about it. I have a feeling that's what everyone else is going to call it, too. You know, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then calling it a goose doesn't change the fact that it's probably a duck!

I start next week with a tour of city hall and the county courthouse and lots of meet-and-greets and photos with the local mucky-mucks, and then a ride-along with the Marshalltown police.

I don't think I'll actually have to do anything, aside from be the city's pet nova and maybe do some publicity things, though. It's not like we're on the Teragen's hit list or anything. Aside from Liberteen, I'm the only nova to have ever been in Marshalltown, anyway. So I don't think I'll be trading eye lasers with any villains or terrorists anytime soon. (Which is perfectly fine by me.)

I'm a municipal defender! Yay! *dances happily*

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that your municipality did not pass that regressive law prohibiting the use of nova powers within the city limits, then. Good for Marshalltown, and good for you Miss Pew.

My own (former) home town of Tampa fooled around with a similar law, and the end result was a dead mayor, a lot of dead police, and a simmering anti-nova sentiment that eventually led to my home being destroyed by arson.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, the city really turned a 180 on the nova powers law. It was shot down at the first meeting after it was proposed. Apparently I'd not entirely understood what was happening at city hall when that first came up, so I was really worried that it would pass. It turns out that it was really a play for attention by one of the aldermen, and had no real chance to make it onto the books.

Who knew?

Pew Pew Pew, that is what my jobs seems to be. You know looking good, smiling, making friendly with the people. I had to put out a fire..And get this I got a kitten out of a tree! Really, I hope you never have to fight or kill anyone.I hope you have a nice easy life. Mostly I hope you have fun.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Creeper
Good luck with the whole municipal defender thing. Not my style but if your happy doing it, then my hat's off to you. Maybe I'll stop by your town and see if you can catch me!

I'm not sure what you mean by "catch you." Are you on the run from the law, or do you just want to do some kind of perfectly legal hide and seek kind of thing for fun?

I'm not super-speedy or anything like that, so it'd be kind of a boring chase. smile

• 3 weeks later...

Good job, Pew Pew Pew. I heard your name floating around here, up in Seattle. Its good to know that someone still cares about their town.

Mind if I question your trade, though?

Do you go on rounds through the city and stop everyday crime, or are you just there in case something significant* happens?

(* The meaning of significant in this usage is refering to Nova activity.)

You heard about me in Seattle? Holy crud! O.o

I don't do a patrol like a fully-fledged municipal defender or anything like that. At least, I don't do it on my own. I do ride-alongs with the Marshalltown Police Department. Mostly, though, I do local volunteer things. I've been helping a lot at the library with the summer reading program. That's been a lot of fun.

I really don't want anything significant in the nova way to happen here. Marshalltown is a great place to live and I would hate to see that spoiled.

You really ought to ask questions or do research before you make assumptions like that. Now I have to run around correcting you instead of getting to know you better. Anyway. I'm not "owned," and I can stop doing this any time I want.

Also, I'm not "just" a public figure. I help out in real ways. I don't know what it is you're trying to get at, but you're coming off as quite unfriendly to me. Is that what you intend?

Well, what I am trying to get at is that your title, Municipal Defender, is misleading.

I mean. It can be broken down very, very simply. Municipal (of or pertaining to a town or city or its local government) Defender (to ward off attack from; guard against assault or injury) means that you are defending a town from an attack*.

You are not actually serving as a municipal defender but as a embodiment of publicity and/or what is good**.

Feel free to 'defend' my 'attack*' however much you like, because stuff like this really bothers me.

*Attacks can be in many forms, mind you. Law firm challenging, attack upon the individual citizens of the township who make the town what it is, a nova attack, etc.

**Good being the idea of a moral standard and 'alignment'. Helping children, etc.

I see your point, but I think your crusade for absolute literal truth in how words are used is likely to be a lonely one. The phrase "municipal defender," regardless of the precise duties assigned, has a much broader definition than you would like.

If it really bothers you that much, just pretend Marshalltown doesn't exist or something. Or that I don't exist. I'm really not enjoying this conversation at all.

Originally Posted By: Transonic
They own you with a contract...
It isn't "ownership" unless they can tell you who you sleep with and you can't quit.

Originally Posted By: Transonic
Well, what I am trying to get at is that your title, Municipal Defender, is misleading.
So call it "first citizen" if you wish... although I'm pretty sure "Firemen" take cats out of trees on occassion.

What she really is most of the time is a totem. All the various sports teams I follow have them, an animal or something that's supposed to be strong or swift. And usually they also have a dude in a costume too, or maybe a real "huskey" or "bulldog".

We elites do the same thing. "Gorehound", "Totentanz" (Orchestra music meaning Dance of Death), "Gatecrusher", and so on. Can you tell I paid attention in DV's marketing class?

It's symbolic and good marketing and people a whole lot smarter than me claim it's pretty important. Something about by taking it's name you hope to take a little piece of it's "magic".

Ditto with P3. The city and it's people use her as a symbol of their importance and power. The whole thing is basically a massive compliment to her and her power. Serious teams don't take weak totems.

Archived